1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2020

1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?

My wife rides a '96 F200 in Matte Red. I have a Polished F500 of the same year.

She loves her bike and has had it for a few years. Due to the current situation, she's starting to use the bike more than just on a few camping trips a year and she's putting some real miles on it these days on the road. Obviously it's now starting to show it's age and if you ask me, it's completely stock and not maintained much since new. So it needs some attention.

She rides in high gear on purpose for the exercise and it skips when she cranks hard on it from a stop or a low speed.

Looking at the crankset, it seems replacement is required. I'm sure it's due for a chain and perhaps the BB. The cassette seems ok.

See pics.

Where can I source parts for this? Moderate (but budget) upgrades are fine. I'd like to keep both of these for the long haul. In my research some Acera cranksets would be a good fit for this bike. I'm finding it difficult in my research to find these parts.

I'm open to other recommendations to help get this bike up to a safe condition for her.

Thanks, all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?-20200803_161520.jpg  

1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?-20200803_161538.jpg  

1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?-20200803_161558.jpg  

1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?-20200803_161605.jpg  

1996 F200 Skipping Chain -- Replacement Cranksets?-20200803_161547.jpg  

artistic...
    It needs new rings, chain and cassette. Skipping chain can lead to accidents. Those are 5 bolt rings but i donīt know what size or bolt configuration .... itīs a 7 sp cassette and chain. You can find it on ebay. Are you installing yourself?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I'd like to do it myself if I can source the right parts. I'll end up at the LBS if I can't find the parts and just let them deal with it, if they even can. I'm an automotive tech by trade so I have the ability and many tools. I have no issue buying the crank puller and other various tools I may need.

Here's the specs on this bike if it helps any:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=54679

Cheap parts for sure, so upgrades are in order and that's not an issue. It's a nice solid frame.

The biggest hurdle is knowing which parts will work to eliminate any guessing.

Thanks!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Those cranks have the rings swaged on, the rings cannot be replaced.

You a new crankset and chain, and a cassette while you're there. I can't tell from the photos if the hub takes a screw on gear cluster or a cassette. Bikepedia doesn't help me there either. Cassettes tend to wear nice and evenly and look okay, but just won't play nicely with a new chain, so don't rule out a new cassette.

Any crank you get will need a square taper bottom bracket. Assuming the bottom bracket is okay, you can get away with just cranks. Jenson has Altus cranks for $36 which are square taper. Otherwise:

New bottom bracket - BSA threaded 68mm shell, not sure of the axle width.
    New crank to match the interface with the BB. Doesn't matter if it is nominally 7, 8 or 9 speed.
    New chain. Any 7 speed Shimano chain will be fine.
    New cassette. Or cluster, depending on whether your hub takes a cassette or cluster. Cassettes slide onto a free hub body, clusters screw on to the hub shell.

If you come across some parts you think might work, post a link here and we can tell you whether you're onto a winner or it will be a WOFTAM.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Check the back of the crank arms. If it says "FC-CT90", they are a warranty replacement that is still honored by Shimano, which will result in a new crank, bottom bracket, front derailleur, and chain.

Just FYI

artistic...
    You could just upgrade everything for some vintage 7 or 8sp shimano lx. Buy chain and cassette new. A shimano 7sp cassette and chain will work on every shimano 7sp shifter, hub, derr etc.. Buy the rest used but looking good. Shimano LX is nice; a working horse group that works way above itīs pay grade. Way lighter better looking than altus. There is no fetish or cult around LX so prices are real, mostly a bargain. Check bottom bracket width so it plays nicely w/ the new cranks and old frame. If possible get a set of 7sp thumbshifters which are much much user friendly than those push push shifters.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Most likely just needs a chain & cassette. Those crankset teeth ate shaped that way from the factory.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Grumps:

It's a cassette. The bottom bracket seems ok to me, no noise. Jenson is out of stock of the Altus M311 crankset and Amazon just ran out of the Acera M361 which is a bit nicer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FB2YA6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The Shimano 7-Speed HG71 chain should work but it's $30, which is fine unless those KMC chains are acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3R30WC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

For cassettes I have my eye on the Acera CS-HG41.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DTWLGY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

wschruba: Thanks for the heads up, I checked and I have the CT-91 crank arms.

colker1: Great idea, I looked on ebay and it seems that idea will take some time to piece together but I will keep my eyes open for possible future upgrade as I collect everything. The thumb shifters, especially. That's an upgrade that my bike could also benefit from.

JBWeld: The crankset is kind of elusive at this point so if I can't find it, I'll go this route first.

Thanks, all! Great advice!! Looks like a plan is coming together.