1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition

I have a 1993 Trek 8000 shx that I got as a high school graduation gift, yeah no car, thanks dad. It has been my noble steed for many moons now. I have overhauled it 2 times since, and now have decided it is ready for a 3rd total make over. I have recently upgraded to a 2017 Fuel ex 8 for my current stallion, so this classic of mine is going to be made in to a commuter / crossbike / winter project.

I live in AK and in our small town we have MTB races for the summer months and cyclocross races in the fall before it gets too dark. Now these races are very well attended(50-80 racers, from ages 10 -70) and very well organized, but are all for the fun of riding bikes, you race against your buddies, the winners don't get prizes just bragging rights, and other random racers get big giant cookies.

This bike over haul is to bring it closer to cyclocross specs, skinny 700c wheels, 1x drivetrain, upgraded bottom bracket and crank, maybe try out some of those there curly looking handle bars. I have noticed other posts on here where some people are shunned for even thinking about doing what I want to do. They say why waste the time? You can't make that work. It will cost too much. It won't feel right. Just buy a cyclocross bike. Blah,Blah, Blah....... To them I say so what. Why do people take old cars and refurbish them and put fancy dancy engines and radios in them? Because they can and want to try something different.

I will try and post updates as I go on from tear down, paint, assembly and test ride. The bike as seen in the photos has a weight of 30.8 lbs. I'm open and interested in suggestions as I go along, things that have and have not worked for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_5697.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_5698.jpg  

Last edited by coleryan93; 09-10-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    2001 Trek USPS OCLV road bike
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx

mtbr member
    Sounds like a nice project. On my 92 Trek Antelope 830 I recently changed the cassette from 13-28t to 13-34t and the small chainring to 22t. Her climbing ability held me back in the sport and now she is the climber I always wished shed be. The larger cogs on the cassette could not be used with the large chainring so I removed the chainring.

artistic...
    well... your project is not vintage not retro not classic. It will be cheaper and ride much much better if you just buy a Surly cross check. The secret sauce is ... Bottom bracket height.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

2 wheel fanatic
    Jul 2019
    Did you seriously say that a 26 year old bike, the one in the picture with the long stem, 26" rims, 3x9 drivetrain, bar ends, and rim brakes isn't vintage or retro? You could debate "classic" all day, but I'd say the old Trek is a classic example of a vintage/retro bike.
    The secret sauce actually is not bashing on other peeps' projects 'cuz they don't fit your narrow definition of VRC
    I want something good to die for
    To make it beautiful to live
    I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    Did you seriously say that a 26 year old bike, the one in the picture with the long stem, 26" rims, 3x9 drivetrain, bar ends, and rim brakes isn't vintage or retro? You could debate "classic" all day, but I'd say the old Trek is a classic example of a vintage/retro bike.
    The secret sauce actually is not bashing on other peeps' projects 'cuz they don't fit your narrow definition of VRC
    I seriously said that ... "This bike over haul is to bring it closer to cyclocross specs, skinny 700c wheels, 1x drivetrain, upgraded bottom bracket and crank, maybe try out some of those there curly looking handle bars." is not vintage retro. Nevermind classic.
    Since you are feeling all right and mighty i will reinforce my opinion: its dumb since you can spend less and have a much better bike by just buying a new Surly instead of placing 700 wheels on a 26in frame creating bad geometry w/ new components. So yeah.. i think it svcks. Sue me.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Everyone has their opinion, and that's fine. I just wanted to make a post to share progress and ideas. I surf these forums all day for info and am great full for them. I have learned a lot and they have helped me make some good choices in upgrades, trouble shooting and otherwise. It says in the main page first thread that VRC is in the eye of the beholder. Yeah I am probably going top spend too much money and waste a lot of time, but so do other people with their boats, snowmobiles, houses and cars. If we don't have hobbies or do something we enjoy it makes for a dull life. My profession is auto collision repair, I see so many people take a "lame" car or truck and dump a ton of money into them and spend way more than what its worth, and what do they get out of it? The satisfaction of creating something, the bonding time with kids or siblings, something they can say "I did this". This project is something I am working on with my son and we are having a great time researching and studying it out. If this thread bothers you I am ok with people not following it. If there is another place I need to post this thread I would be happy to move it.

Update on the bike: I am working on striping the old paint off and will post some pics later today.
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    its dumb since you can spend less and have a much better bike by just buying a new xxx instead .
    Pretty much sums up VRC in it's entirety, now doesn't it?

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So I like to get the old paint off by using aircraft stripper, some like to sand off the paint, which is fine but takes a long time. Some say not to strip the paint off at all, and you can do that, but any chips and scratches will need to be feathered out with sand paper or they will show up through your new paint job.

You just brush on the stripper and the old paint just starts to bubble off and you just use a hose and rinse it off and scrub with a red scotch bright pad. You may have to use the stripper 2 times to get it all off. Don't get this stuff on your skin, it burns fast and bad, water neutralizes it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_5965.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_5966.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_5967.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_5968.jpg  

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx

2 wheel fanatic
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I seriously said that ... "This bike over haul is to bring it closer to cyclocross specs, skinny 700c wheels, 1x drivetrain, upgraded bottom bracket and crank, maybe try out some of those there curly looking handle bars." is not vintage retro. Nevermind classic.
    Since you are feeling all right and mighty i will reinforce my opinion: its dumb since you can spend less and have a much better bike by just buying a new Surly instead of placing 700 wheels on a 26in frame creating bad geometry w/ new components. So yeah.. i think it svcks. Sue me.
    The parts hanging from the frame in no way diminish its age, or status. Maybe suggesting people toss out old frames and buy new bikes isn't quite appropriate for VRC forums. There's plenty of that over in the other forums.
    As for thinking it's dumb, I guess it is a good thing it isn't your project. Maybe when OP is done the build, they can report back as to wether or not the new geometry sucks.
    And the subpoena is in the mail.
    I want something good to die for
    To make it beautiful to live
    I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    All the paint is off. Time to work on design and colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6071.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6072.jpg  

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So now that it is all clean and scuffed smooth it is important to get it as clean as possible. No greasy finger prints. I use a wax and greasy remover and then a tack rag to make sure it is all clean. Since it it aluminum it has to be treated with an etching primer that bites in to the metal and then a grey sealer is applied.
    I am using Standox water bourne automotive paint products so I have an unlimited supplies to choose from since this is my profession. First color I pick was a Chrysler green that is on the Chargers. I have to add a a hardener to the base coat so that it will dry enough to handle and mask for the second color a few hours after it is sprayed. Next I picked a Porsche tangerine for the main color. I also added hardener to the base coat and then baked the frame at 160 degrees for 15 minutes. When that was all done I could handle it carefully enough to lay out the decals that I got from https://velocals.com/
    After I was able to put the decals on I put it back in the booth to apply the clear coat. Now to work on the components .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6175.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6181.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6182.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6184.jpg  

1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6186.jpg  

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Geez that looks good
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Found a Mercury wheel deal on www.Steepandcheap.com With some Schwalbe X-One tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 Trek 8000shx extreme makeover bike edition-img_6508.jpg  

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great looking frame. Guess some individuals will never realize that every action aren't financially perfect. Only challenge that I perceive is a 700 rim and the 26" brake posts.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Pretty much sums up VRC in it's entirety, now doesn't it?

Sure does, yet every time I think about selling everything I wind up buying just one more. Strange how that works.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    Great looking frame. Guess some individuals will never realize that every action aren't financially perfect. Only challenge that I perceive is a 700 rim and the 26" brake posts.
    I got the brake issue figured out, there are a few company's out there that make an adapter or retro fit design to make the jump from 26" to 700c. I'll be sure and post the info when I get to that point. My biggest challenge thus far is the drop bar/stem/riser, and making it feel and work decent. Thinking about it is the fun part.
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29r
    1993 Trek 8000 Shx