1991 trek 8000- Mtbr.com

Thread: 1991 trek 8000

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

1991 trek 8000

hi there. i finished another one. this one was bought by my brother and it stayed in the family ever since. i picked it up a few weeks ago and gave it a proper cleaning, a DX group set, braking help from DIaCompe and so on...best thing: it had a manitou 1 on and the original rigid fork got lost. i couldn't believe it but i found the same fork on ebay and here we go.

love it as a daily driver. very light and reliable bike.

best

Moritz

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How's the stem length feel and what type of bottom bracket did old bikes like that use?

Looks beautiful, I love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I owned that bike's little sister for a while. Someone had put it out with the trash (minus the wheels) on bulk collection day. I spotted it while out riding, and slung it over my shoulder to save it from the scrap heap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mauricer View Post
    it had a manitou 1 on and the original rigid fork got lost. i couldn't believe it but i found the same fork on ebay and here we go.
    Not that hard to believe actually seeing as they probably made a ton of those forks and alot of them got swapped out for shocks which were a popular upgrade when they first came out.

Some people never throw anything away and ebay is the place where it all ends up these days. I would be willing to bet you got it cheap and that there were not many, if any, other bidders. Try that with a Type II or the equivalent.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    it was as you said when i found it. before i thought i'd never find a single fork with the same paint scheme.....

best

Moritz

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice TREK!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice!

I'm picking up one of these tomorrow (same year/model/colour), albeit not quite as clean.

How do you find the ride? Is it as brutally stiff as I imagine? ...or maybe the bonded tubes allow a bit of give?

mtbr member
    Nice.Reminds me of the 930 I built for my son as a commuter.

mtbr member
    Fantastic thread! I built so many of the 8000s, 7's, and 6000s as well. Not to mention that I must've built a gazillion 930s as well. All identical to the ones pictured. The 930 rode like a brick, but was top notch in the quality dept.

Great pictures, thank you to all!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    I have the 8000 also in my garage. I would like to get it going again. Does anyone know which bottom bracket it takes?
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mauricer View Post
    hi there. i finished another one. this one was bought by my brother and it stayed in the family ever since. i picked it up a few weeks ago and gave it a proper cleaning, a DX group set, braking help from DIaCompe and so on...best thing: it had a manitou 1 on and the original rigid fork got lost. i couldn't believe it but i found the same fork on ebay and here we go.

love it as a daily driver. very light and reliable bike.

best

Moritz
    Nice Dart and Smoke II .. I for got they made then since Ver 1 was the best tire they ever made !! The Bike Looks good !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    So are the 8000's aluminum? Actually, are all of the thousand series aluminum?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i know for sure this is Easton E9 Aluminium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maday View Post
    I have the 8000 also in my garage. I would like to get it going again. Does anyone know which bottom bracket it takes?
    The most common spindle sizes at that time were 122.5mm and 127.5mm. I would be surprised if one of these two didn't work.

Good luck, and lets see it roll!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Now with road tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hello!

This is my 1990 Trek 8000. Sadly has a crack on the down tube.

Bye
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1991 trek 8000-trek_1.jpg  

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010

CL score, I think

I picked this one up this afternoon. Paid 100 for it which was maybe too much. It has been raped by someone who fancied themselves a bike mechanic. The kid I bought it from paid 450 for it on ebay and it was in such terrible shape i couldn't believe it. He said the handle bars came off while he was riding it. Stem was missing a bolt. when I got on it to see if it would ride at all one of the pedals fell off! The other was badly cross threaded. So I had to scrap the crank, the teeth were very worn anyway. The headset was so tight it was binding when turned. Anyway I went through it tonight and gave it as much of an overhaul as I could in my apartment, then took it out for a ride. It rode really nice with the 2.1" tires and suspension fork. The steering feels funny to me though. I assume its because this bike was originally fully rigid??? I dont have much money at the time so parts from the bike bin will have to do for now. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also there is a pretty good groove in the chainstay from one of the inner chain rings. I hope it doesnt bust!
    before

slightly after

ouchies!

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010
    Didnt mean to hijack your post either, I was just excited when I found a thread with similar bikes. All these bikes look great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm trying to fix the DX front derailleur of my Trek 8000, just like the one in Andrea GT's post, which I've had since the early 90s. The original mech seized but I found a replacement on eBay. I'm puzzled because both mechs are bottom pull, however, on the Trek 8000 the cable is routed along the top tube. It looks like the cable should run through the derailleur arm and be secured to a bolt on the down tube just above the bottom bracket, so that pressure from the cable sheath ferrule operates the mech. Does anyone know if this is correct please? If so, do I need a special cable stop for the mech arm that allows the gear cable to slide through? (I have mislaid the cable bolt from the original mech).

mtbr member

Stokeless Asshat
    $18.00? Ouch!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks DoubleCentury, although at $18 plus $28 international postage I might have to find another solution!

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by snoyl View Post
    Thanks DoubleCentury, although at $18 plus $28 international postage I might have to find another solution!
    You can always add one of these sidepull caliper brake barrel adjusters, which are easier to find:

Name:  sidepull-adjustor.jpg
Views: 3233
Size:  5.7 KB
    (Not my pic.)

You might need to do a bit of filing to get it to fit the derailleur.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    You can always add one of these sidepull caliper brake barrel adjusters, which are easier to find:

Name:  sidepull-adjustor.jpg
Views: 3233
Size:  5.7 KB
    (Not my pic.)

You might need to do a bit of filing to get it to fit the derailleur.
    Yep, those fit and work perfectly (with no filing).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Noob question. Sorry to ask in such an old thread.

I'm fixing up my old 1994 Trek 800 rigid frame mountain bike for running errands around town. Where can I find black or dark rims like those in post #1, #8 and #16 of this thread?

mtbr member
    Most rims you'll find now have machined sidewalls. The rims on those old Treks were their house brand, Matrix. They'll pop up from time to time on eBay along with other dark annoed rims of the time (Mavic, Araya, etc). If you don't mind machined/silver sidewalls your local bike shop can get you all sorts of options.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Maday View Post
    Maday, which bottom bracket spindle length you ended up buying, 122.5mm or 127.5mm? I need to buy a new one for my Trek 8000 also, but need to make sure about the correct spindle length. Cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 26