1991 Hard Rock i fixed up.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1991 Hard Rock i fixed up.

Got an old Trek 800 too but was too small for me so its a mix of old take off parts i had, some new amazon stuff, a used x7/x9 drive, and parts off the 800.

Rides great, shifts great, perfect around town bike with my kids vs my carbon bikes.

Wish it had a flashier pain job like the pink/purple fade or the RockCombo teal/white.

Oh well, works for me. Anyone know how big of tires it can fit out back? Not sure if i want to do 2.2 slicks or some 2.1 panaracer fire xc pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member

9 speed rear wheel, traded the seat for white, some old pedals off my farley 6 i finally found and some colour items. 110mm -17 deg stem

Co Springs
    Looking good.
    I think the white has a style all its own, cages and grips are a nice touch.
    I think mine is a 91 but maybe not. I may poke around to search color schemes. Mine is teal with orange lettering, purchased new in Michigan. I boogered up the forks so they were swapped with (likely something generic) chrome forks. I have Forte 2.2 tires from Performance on there now. Looks pretty beefy, not sure if a 2.3 or 2.35 would fit. May dependent on knobby configuration along edges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1991 Hard Rock i fixed up.-2017-08-20-02.20.42_resized.jpg  

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Big fan of the old Specialized bikes, currently have 2 mid 90's Rockhoppers. They are the ultimate do anything bikes.

mtbr member
    Nice. I did a full rebuild on a hard rock a few years back and love riding it.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    That '91 Cruz was my first "real mtb", though it might really be considered a hybrid/comfort before that term was used for the bikes. I talked my parents into it with some chores and that was the first summer they let me stay home to caddy instead of camp to pay it off. I beat that bike to $hiite... tacoed the front wheel, bent a couple forks, destroyed bottom brackets and hubs, bent skewers, snapped RDs, the RD hanger was never straight, etc. but kept it running until I sold it at a garage sale 5 years or so ago. Thanks for the memory jog, those were the days!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Its pretty sweet. I use it to rip around with my kids and wife.

I have a top fuel, farley, and tcx but this thing is just plain fun. I use spds on all my bike so the ability to jump on this with reg shoes and roll to the park and not worry about some kid leaning their bike on it or knocking it over is great. I use to ride my fatbike and i would park it against a tree and worry it was going to be stolen... then one day it blew over and bent my hanger and was like **** it, was looking at a $300 online fixie and ran i to xbiking on reddit and the idea of fixing up a 80/90 mtb was awesome to me, took a while to find a decent 21 tho.

Has 2.2 halo twin rails now and i put a less degree stem on it. Got a 11-40 cassette on order and came with a road link looking thing but i feel like i can b screw the x9 enough to work.

monster member
    Those couple of blue anodized parts you put on it really helped. Looks sweet now! Such a huge improvement from that original pic you posted.

Edit- In addition to the other parts I mean, like the saddle, crank, etc.
    Last edited by Wheelspeed; 08-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Have fun!

Human shaped object
    Yes! Picture that, but a couple of years newer, more beat to crap, and wearing a Spesh air fork up front, and that's where my Hardrock is heading. Did I mention that it wouldn't be as pretty?
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works