Bipolar roller

1990 Full Sus: Offroad Proflex 550

I am pretty excited to have been able to pick up this early model Offroad Pro-flex 550 in what I consider good really condition for a near 30 year old mtb. (Even came with some extra elastomers)

All I have done so far is take these pics. I plan to get that rack off and get the rear swing arm active again tonight and hopefully go for for a quick ride in the AM before work.

I remember dreaming I could get one of these bitd as it was the most reasonably priced and attainable full suspension mtb in 1991. It was still way out of reach for a 13yr old kid at something like $999 (a lot for a bike back then).

-913ac716-c6f9-43b0-a44f-1119490f5f57.jpeg

-5e9d45cb-185d-4a84-8737-324e00d7734f.jpeg

-72792d42-68ac-4914-af87-7c0b9f2fee49.jpeg

-c6a4f927-1fe6-463d-9f9a-13ac1813f00d.jpeg

-38ae4aff-ee30-409f-a669-6c9c3d4b09ff.jpeg
    Last edited by singletrackmack; 08-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

Bipolar roller
    -27ea6107-52e3-4300-8db5-33e2ab69278a.jpeg

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So, the previous owner took a rack design that WOULD work with the suspension design and added stay supports so it would damage itself as the suspension worked?

Some people baffled me....

Cool find though, hope you enjoy the first spin!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Bipolar roller
    Thanks!

Was up way too late fussing with those stupid elastomers to get up for an early ride, but did manage to squeeze in a quick ride with the dogs for lunch after a conference call.

Here area few shot of the Offroad today on the trails after I fixed it up last night.

-3162bee0-3aca-4d43-979a-ef90b30ee3a8.jpeg

-733a67e5-2e71-49f4-9aa7-05ea32965786.jpeg

-4ea9911f-a3f7-4211-8121-da16dd754efc.jpeg

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Cool! How's the FlexStem working for you?

I ask because I'm almost finished a bike with one and looking forward to taking it to the trails - with some trepidation.

Well done on tracking down the bike you wanted all those years ago. I always wanted a P-series Ritchey in the early 90s. One day...

Grumps

Bipolar roller
    Iíve had only the one short ride on the bike so far and thatís with 5 stitches in my right index finger so was taking it easy. The flexstem didnít seem impressive doing the squish test standing over the bike or riding on the street. In fact, it didnít seem like it had that much movement, but when on the trail it really did do a good job of dampening.

I was particularly impressed going straight into baby head sized rocks. The stem would fully actuate when I did this and it really did work to cushion the hit. I found myself looking for good sized rocks to ride head on into.

Now, I havenít come close to pushing the flexstem, taking a hard turn, or going fast so weíll see about that. But overall, fun to try out and will work great for cruising and light trails. Plus, I really like the simplicity and old school factor.

I was wondering if there is anywhere to get elastomers for the flexstem with different firmness. Any ideas?
    Last edited by singletrackmack; 08-14-2018 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The bike looks great out on the trails. What kind of tires are you running? Thanks

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Iíve had only the one short ride on the bike so far and thatís with 5 stitches in my right index finger so was taking it easy. The flexstem didnít seem impressive doing the squish test standing over the bike or riding on the street. In fact, it didnít seem like it had that much movement, but when on the trail it really did do a good job of dampening.

I was wondering if there is anywhere to get elastomers for the flexstem with different firmness. Any ideas?
    Cool, thanks. Looking forward to trying mine out and seeing how it goes. For enjoyment of riding a cool old idea more than the expectation of any performance.

No idea on replacement elastomers. A bearing shop near me had some "blanks" of elastomer type material. Whether it would do the job is the question. I think when mine decides to turn its toes and I can't find elastomers, I'll try making something out of old nolathene suspension bushes I have from a car build.

Grumps

Bipolar roller
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan77 View Post
    The bike looks great out on the trails. What kind of tires are you running? Thanks
    Thanks! I like how it looks a lot with those tires, but they are just dress shoes. They look good, but are terrible on the trail. Below is a pic of what the tire is. Matrix was the trek house brand before they bought bontrager and this wheel-set is off a 1990 trek singletrack 930. The wheels are awsome however with i21 rims.

-3df8dd43-48dc-4095-aa7d-55322334d604.jpeg

-f9f584c7-1111-45e5-b7f1-7a7f916a1f1f.jpeg

Schipperkes are cool.
    These bikes started out from KG Engineering OffRoad out of Woonsocket RI

Name:  offroad-73505819.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  18.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Horribly dated website, and an incredibly non responsive business owner (to questions via voicemail or email) but they sell a legit product, with good fitment, and I send customers to them all the time when they need stuff for their vintage Headshocks, and am never left with a pissed off customer.....

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...flex-stem.html
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    McMaster-Carr has a selection of different durometer polyurethane tubes under the heading "Abrasion-Resistant Polyurethane Rubber Tubes". You need to buy the 6" long tubes to get the softer compounds.