1988 Yeti article....- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    1988 Yeti article....

    From MBAction May 1988 issue..... I originally had planned to do a single thread of all Yeti artiicles/info from mid-1986 thru Dec.1994.... However, my puter makes posting more than 5 or 6 threads per post a very llloooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggg (long) process.. Therefore, I will do a single post for each seperate article..... But, not all together-- it'll be over a span of a month or so.... Sorry 'bout that..
    The "suit" isn't riding a Yeti, but i couldn't resist adding it to this post---( JT or TH ???) Merry Christmas....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2ManyPlaces; 12-29-2004 at 01:39 AM.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    part 1.......

    here goes....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    part 2......

    more....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    part 3...

    and again....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    part 4 (last one)....

    fini.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,728

    We the people ...

    nice article. Its interesting to note the perceived cool brands of the time & how bmx headsets were used as there was nothing else of note out there. When did c.king start?

    keep up the postings

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    995
    There it is again. How many times is "computer-bent" in there?

    Boy, if I didn't realize it at the time, it sure stands out now; a lot of fluff went into poofing up these early articles. I knew there were some uninformed nitwits writing tests/ads, but man, some of them are pretty hokey.

    I wonder what exactly this Rockwell Hardness in the upper reaches of aerospace technology is? That's a lot to write without giving the freakin number. Or how exactly a 74 degree seat angle makes out-of-the-saddle climbing easier, but only on smooth stuff? This could go on and on.

    Thanks for posting the pics man, definitely entertaining stuff. That is one hot tamale of a Yeti.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    nice article. Its interesting to note the perceived cool brands of the time & how bmx headsets were used as there was nothing else of note out there. When did c.king start?

    keep up the postings
    There were lots of nice headsets at that point in time. Chris King started before John Parker slapped a Yeti sticker on a bike.

    Parker just had a lot of BMX influence on his bikes. One piece looptail, the "landing gear" fork, BMX .833 headset, laid back angles, oval top tube (PK Ripper), the little chainstay "neck", BMX seat clamp, BMX seat post diameter, etc.

    Early Yetis even had the big BMX bb shell.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    There it is again. How many times is "computer-bent" in there?

    Boy, if I didn't realize it at the time, it sure stands out now; a lot of fluff went into poofing up these early articles. I knew there were some uninformed nitwits writing tests/ads, but man, some of them are pretty hokey.

    I wonder what exactly this Rockwell Hardness in the upper reaches of aerospace technology is? That's a lot to write without giving the freakin number. Or how exactly a 74 degree seat angle makes out-of-the-saddle climbing easier, but only on smooth stuff? This could go on and on.

    Thanks for posting the pics man, definitely entertaining stuff. That is one hot tamale of a Yeti.
    MBA has always been like that and still is even today. I got an MBA just last week and its got misinformation as well. Hoky. Good ol Richard Cunningham is the one spewing it off also. Opinions as facts.

    But man, they sure do sell a lot of magazines! And ads.

    Ya, thats a cool Yeti. I like the paint.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ManyPlaces
    From MBAction May 1988 issue..... I originally had planned to do a single thread of all Yeti artiicles/info from mid-1986 thru Dec.1994.... However, my puter makes posting more than 5 or 6 threads per post a very llloooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggg (long) process.. Therefore, I will do a single post for each seperate article..... But, not all together-- it'll be over a span of a month or so.... Sorry 'bout that..
    The "suit" isn't riding a Yeti, but i couldn't resist adding it to this post---( JT or TH ???) Merry Christmas....

    The guy in the suit is Jody Wiesel. I think he was the editor. I met him at a motocross race (Hollister USGP) back when MBA had just started. I went over to talk to him cause he had some cool mtbs at his truck and he gave me a few copies of the magazine. Nice guy.

  11. #11
    Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Reputation: Shayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,725

    Nothing wrong with a good BMX headset

    aside from the fact that they're usually pretty heavy.

    And I have to say King headsets have to be the most overhyped products the cycling indusrty has seen. Nice yes, but that nice ($$$) I don't think so.
    *** --- *** --- ***

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    And I have to say King headsets have to be the most overhyped products the cycling indusrty has seen. Nice yes, but that nice ($$$) I don't think so.
    Maybe pricey, but:

    (a) They don't change from year to year making it easy to replace parts, be moved from bike to bike, etc.

    (b) It has interchangable parts from threaded and threadless setups, making changing forks no big deal.

    CK may not win out in price/quality ratio, but I like them as they permit me to easily use the headset anywhere I want. I wish other companys did the same.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,984
    Great read!! Thanks for posting!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  14. #14
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,728

    We the people ...

    given the currency US to UK exchange rate. King headsets are a bargain ;D

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    given the currency US to UK exchange rate. King headsets are a bargain ;D
    Yeah, all of Europe is having a 35% off sale on US goods. Must be nice.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  16. #16
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    There it is again. How many times is "computer-bent" in there?



    I wonder what exactly this Rockwell Hardness in the upper reaches of aerospace technology is? That's a lot to write without giving the freakin number. Or how exactly a 74 degree seat angle makes out-of-the-saddle climbing easier, but only on smooth stuff? This could go on and on.

    .
    I think i know what the rockwell hardness is, from the depths of my memory, its not the upper reaches of aerospace, but 1st year engineering...
    you wack a bit of metal, with a diamond or ball headed wacker thing and how deep it goes tells how hard it is, or is that charpie? maybe you put the metal in a big machine and a big swingy thing hits it and breaks it in half. umm, dunno one of those... not super high tech or aerospacey, but old, tried and tested, even in '88

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    Some YETI trivia.....

    nm.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    1992 Shoot-out: ARC vs. ARC-FS.....

    from MBAction July 1992 issue......
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    1992 Yeti ARC photo.....

    it goes with the article above.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,728

    We the people ...

    I know of a yeti AS needing respray but pretty cheap in the UK if anyones interested PMM me

  21. #21
    www.yetifan.com
    Reputation: Yetifan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    unsure if its wanted, but I have enough webspace free to put all this stuff on.

    I have most of these articles, plus about 40mags all with yeti content, + every brochure, bike tests etc, and some Yeti only stuff, JP letters, that type of thing, but have not really had the time to scan it all in.

    [email protected]

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    That's fine with me....

    just let me know what ya need and if you prefer .jpeg or .tif as the file (also, I scan this stuff at 300 dpi-- if that matters)...... I'm also gonna be e-mailing this stuff to anothe poster-- if he/she ever contacts me with e-mail address to send it to....

  23. #23
    www.yetifan.com
    Reputation: Yetifan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    Jpeg is great for me.

    The size they show up on this forum is perfect.

    thanks.

    Andrew

  24. #24
    www.yetifan.com
    Reputation: Yetifan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    My email address is [email protected] , I think you might have sent them to a yetiman.com address?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

  25. #25

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    313

    even more Yeti trivia.....

    . I found this little item while cruising through my Mountain Biker mags.. (sorry, only have 18 of their issues).. It's from the Aug. 1998 issue.. The article pertains to an Intense Uzzi Sl 24-inch wheeled DS bike (also shown in the photo).. I cut/crop only the part which mentions the 24-inch wheel Yeti frame..
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. 1988 Trimble CarbonCross article.....
    By 2ManyPlaces in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 08:32 PM
  2. Got my Yeti 575 from a great bike store
    By Danish Salami-Rider in forum Yeti
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 09:51 PM
  3. Yeti Frame Mixup- Very Urgent Help needed!!!
    By Flyer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 12:53 PM
  4. Yeti Thermoplastic Article for your enjoyment...
    By Rumpfy in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.