Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1987 Mantis Valkyrie

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rockhammer 
#1 ·
All this blah, blah, blah... what's vintage, why vintage, stop yelling at the newbs... jeebus... so here's a cool old bike to look at... Many of you have already seen it, some here have even owned it, but I figured I'd share it again anyways.

See less See more
#8 ·
Martin,

as much as you occasionally annoy me...I have to admit, that's a beauty...thanks for sharing.

Was admiring the pics again and reveling in the details...noticed a few things:

*if you ignore the cross members, it's very Phoenix-esque.

*why did they put fender/rack mounts on such a sexy machine...can't imagine someone cluttering up the lines with fenders or a rack.

*what is the other rear brake guide braze on for?

Steve

#9 ·
Occasionally?? I need to step up my game...

You mean that if you add cross members to a Phoenix it would like Valkyrieish??

Always wondered about the rack mounts myself, kinda lazy to leave them on like that if you ask me

The bike is meant for a u-brake, so when I first set things up I ran the cable on one side only (would have been better with a TC instead of an RC). I have since adjusted the brake cable routing to use both guides:

#13 ·
Nice looking bike!

Was on FFB's site, and noticed they has one for sale. Bit too much dough for me right now, but cool to see none the less.

So, without sounding newbish, and with knowledge it was built by someone who knew what they were doing, why are the head tube brazes so lumpy compared to say, a Ritchey? Just a hard area to get smoothed down so why bother?

Color me curious is all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.