1987 Bridgestone MB-1 Restoration Project - Requesting help from all you experts!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

1987 Bridgestone MB-1 Restoration Project - Requesting help from all you experts!

What's up homies! Picked up (what I think is) an '87 Bridgestone MB-1 (pic attached) to work on as a project and I need some help with specs.

The previous owner listed it as a '93 (which I'm sure it's not) and he "upgraded" the fork to a rockshox but doesn't have the original fork - does anyone know the compatible specs/size I need to find to make the swap back to a rigid 1" fork?

Ideally wanted to find a Lugged Bi-Plane or a Tange Cr-mo - let me know what you guys think!

Thanks in advance for all your input - appreciate the assist!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1987 Bridgestone MB-1 Restoration Project - Requesting help from all you experts!-c1e068f74f264b1f8f463a1999e8de6b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think Double Century knows about this bike/year. Does this link have any good parts for you? https://www.boisebicycleproject.org/...idgestone-mb-1

courtesy bump. My gut is you should find a complete '87 frameset
    **Merry Christmas**

artistic...
    If you want compatible specs then a tange fork will fit nicely. 395mm axle to crown, aheadset steerer and any unpretentious stem in the length that fits you will do the job. I am all for it.
    If you want restoration then the search and charades begin.. unless you have too much time on your hands and an obssessive drive that must be attended i suggest keep the compatible specs motif and ride your bike.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    @805mtb Hey yeah thanks for the link - I actually checked it out and commented on that post regarding the stem as well - haha. I didn't see any parts on there, however I think I'll just go with a nice Tange Fork with similar measurements as the fork on the bike. Hopefully it fits!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    @colker1 haha, I actually already have a (pretentious) stem from an older build that I need to use but yeah, let the search and charades begin indeed. I've been searching for a 26" tange fork on cl, ebay, etc. and i've found a few that are just way too expensive (almost the price paid for bike) I do want to get a nice bi-plane lugged fork on it if I can find one for decent price. It'll definitely be a slow restoration, no rush to ride the bike - thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    That model had essentially the same paint job for several years. In 1989, the fork was a Koski Dura-Trac. Keep that one on your search list for sure! It's probably easier to find and superior to the biplane in many ways, and will look more "correct" too.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    That model had essentially the same paint job for several years. In 1989, the fork was a Koski Dura-Trac. Keep that one on your search list for sure! It's probably easier to find and superior to the biplane in many ways, and will look more "correct" too.
    I've had a 1988, 2 1989s, and a 1990 MB-1 and at one time had enough parts to build another '89 if I found the right frameset. Now I only have a few parts and a 1989 Koski fork referenced above, which is destined for my klunker.
    1987 Bridgestone MB-1 Restoration Project - Requesting help from all you experts!-0716201953.jpg

Here is the spec page for your 87:
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...ne-1987-36.htm
    and here is the geometry page:
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...ne-1987-33.htm

If you want info on other years, most catalogs are here:
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...tml#catalogues