defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007

1987/88 Concorde MTB

Thought this might find some interest here.

This very nice bicycle belongs to a friend of mine named Rob Tuckerman, a remarkably talented artist, designer and inventor, Rob has a great love for classic bicycles. This is his personal mountain bike which I know continues to see regular off-road use, well into its 3rd decade:

1987/88 Concorde MTB-dsc_0396_zpshswfjugy.jpeg

Rob gives a better account of its history than I could:

1987 - 88 Concorde - The Vellend brothers were importing Concordes from Europe for the NA market. When the “mountain bike “ boom started Vellend Tech began spec’ing bikes for the US and Canadian markets - this was one of the first. The first few frames were made in Europe, later in Japan then Taiwan.

This frame is all Tange Prestige, fillet brazed - made in Belgium by a Mr Desnerk(?) Quite a beautiful frame. All Deore XT and still all original except headset(wear) and rear derailleur ( accident , Deore replacement early 90’s) - also chain rings and chain replaced on 3rd ( or fourth ? set. Remarkably tough, reliable bike . Plus it’s celeste, pink and black….

Really my only ride and used every year and ridden consistently - and a lot - since I got the bike in 1989.

Rob
    Rob is best known for his work for the WWF, including calendars that I'm sure some of you may remember:

Amongst other cool things, Rob also makes some very nice leather tool rolls, the one on his bike is one of his. You can see his other bike-related leather work at: Yellow Line Rule Home Page | Yellow Line Rule

Rob needs an end cap for one of his XT beartraps, if anyone can point me to a source I'd be most grateful.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Neat, but man, you should know better than to post a side shot from a distance, and then tell us what a gorgeous frame it is.

Close ups, details, we want the goods!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Love the lines and slender tubing. Looks like top fo the food chain of 87/88. I still want an slx Concorde Road Bike.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Neat, but man, you should know better than to post a side shot from a distance, and then tell us what a gorgeous frame it is.

Close ups, details, we want the goods!
    I agree, not a great pic. I've been asking Rob for some pictures for ages, and this is all he's sent me, I'll push him for some close ups. It really is a very nicely made frame.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mtbr member
    Foggy memory, but they had a race team with Clark Natwick and one other transformed 'cross racer... The mountain bikes were badged Pacifica if I recall correctly... Same or very similar paint scheme...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    mechagouki, Hmmmm... loks like my concorde. Frame is steel? My frame is aluminum. I need identification help. May be some can't help? https://forums.mtbr.com/26er-bikes/b...t-1094257.html