Jan 2004

1986 Cunningham

old bike surprisingly new specifications
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

By "new specs"...

Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat
    Do you mean the frame geometry/design or the parts?

Cunningham pioneered many designs of both that are still used.
    Last edited by shiggy©®™; 01-11-2004 at 10:42 PM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good eye Shiggy! no I was referring to the frame. The parts as you can see are a mixture of new and old. For example; the seatpost is original, brakes, are original and the balance of the parts have been replaced at least once.

mtbr member
    Very nice

Witty McWitterson
    'nother Cunningham here. Stolen off the web from somewhere. It's not mine, but I sure wish that it was. These are really the only Aluminum bikes that I lust for. Must be the lineage...

Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    'nother Cunningham here. Stolen off the web from somewhere. It's not mine, but I sure wish that it was. These are really the only Aluminum bikes that I lust for. Must be the lineage...

Martini,

That is a huge 'ham. Its also one of the last batch I believe circa 1989-
    The welding is definitely Dave Garoutes, and the machined drop outs well can you say perfect "knobs"? Interesting to note, that bike has the huge seatpost and not the radical sloping top tube, which usually accompanied one another on the frames. Nice! and in great condition.

Fan of 'Hams

Good job! Hey, that's mine!

The "huge", "photo-stolen-off-the-web" 'Ham is mine... I'm the original owner and 12 years later it's still my favorite ride.

A few months ago I posted a big set of photos of all my bikes at http://homepage.mac.com/halaburt/bicycles/ along with a sort of running commentary on their specs/setup.

You'll see I'm a huge fan of all things Cunningham/Potts/WTB... and to prove it, here's a photo of a "Fan of Hams"

-Geoff

don't try this at home

awesome! i loved those bikes

i always wanted an indian racer. sort of my 'dream' bike, still is in some ways. i used to stop at point reyes bikes every time i went to santa rosa with my dad to visit my sister in santa rosa just to 'test ride' a cunningham. i knew it would be the only times i would ever be able to ride one since they were waayyyy too expensive. even by today's standards they would be pricey.

i remember seeing one at american cyclery in sf a few years back and they wanted $10,000 for it. incredible!

definite bike envy.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by halaburt
    You'll see I'm a huge fan of all things Cunningham/Potts/WTB... and to prove it, here's a photo of a "Fan of Hams"

-Geoff
    Geoff,

You have one enviable collection there my friend. I'm about as big a WTB(the whole family actually) fan as you, but haven't had the ching to get as much as I want. I've got a steel Pheonix(Ironically enough, the same size as yours. I'm aslo 6'5") residing at home that I"ll never sell. I've also had mmy sites set of several Potts frames on eBay auctions. One day, I hope to snag a Cunningham. I think the next one on the list though is to get an OX 29"er. I bookmarked your page to drool over too!

mtbr member

I know of a couple indians in Salida colorado

There is one #5A it used to be in Flagstaff and is owned by Shawn who owns absolute bikes in salida. He is a super fan of old mountain bikes and has a bit of a museum. Shawn let me ride the Indian in Flag in 94 at a couple races, it has a type 1 and an LD stem, the roller cams have endmill marks on them as if they were machined on a manual mill. One thing is for sure, that bike rode well, only aluminum bike I ever rode much and I loved it. I felt like a pioneer riding that bike, I did feel a little bad endo-ing it in a snow bank, ah heck its a mountain bike none the less. Check out Shawn's shop for museum pics at www.absolutebikes.net(salida)
    cheers, Wade

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vulture
    There is one #5A it used to be in Flagstaff and is owned by Shawn who owns absolute bikes in salida. He is a super fan of old mountain bikes and has a bit of a museum. Shawn let me ride the Indian in Flag in 94 at a couple races, it has a type 1 and an LD stem, the roller cams have endmill marks on them as if they were machined on a manual mill. One thing is for sure, that bike rode well, only aluminum bike I ever rode much and I loved it. I felt like a pioneer riding that bike, I did feel a little bad endo-ing it in a snow bank, ah heck its a mountain bike none the less. Check out Shawn's shop for museum pics at www.absolutebikes.net(salida)
    cheers, Wade
    Wade,
    You always did suck up to Shawn for that bike, too bad you never got it from him. How is life in Bend.
    Talk to you later
    Aaron

By the way, are you still getting some jigs together to sell?

mtbr member

OK, who's the lucky new owner???

Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat

And is it still in the states???

I'm surprised you guys missed this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cycleshark in..

belgium.

they have a lot of this sort of thing hanging on their walls.

good work fellows.

over and out
    nate

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy
    belgium.
    the cycleshark shop and collection is in Zuerich/Switzerland

Carsten

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

oops..

thanks for the headsup on the location, either way, they sure have a lot of nice bikes in their possession.

wish i was riding that cunningham right now, that's what they are for.

i need to get over there to check them out.

over and out
    nate

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    And is it still in the states???

I'm surprised you guys missed this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    What's odd about that bike - I've never seen a d/t tube sticker on a Cunningham that also had Charlies first name. Anyone else ever seen "Charlie Cunningham" on the d/t?

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    What's odd about that bike - I've never seen a d/t tube sticker on a Cunningham that also had Charlies first name. Anyone else ever seen "Charlie Cunningham" on the d/t?

Not on the d/t, but Charlie's full name appeared on the top tube of some bikes. This was right around the time when Nishiki started running the full page ads promoting the(Richard) Cunningham designs on their line up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anybody know how to get a hold of Charlie? I have always wanted a Type II fork, and if i could cajole him into making a Lever Link brake, well, I'd be as happy as a clam.
    Tim
    _

mtbr member

Type II's

Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Anybody know how to get a hold of Charlie? I have always wanted a Type II fork, and if i could cajole him into making a Lever Link brake, well, I'd be as happy as a clam.
    Tim
    I hear Steve Potts may be making type II's again....

you should be able to get a hold of him.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    I hear Steve Potts may be making type II's again....

you should be able to get a hold of him.
    As far as I know, he still made stuff, when you had a lot of patience.. and a couple of $'s.

Unfortunatly Steve is totally not into computers/email etc. so contacting him from Europe (where I am) is a bit difficult. Charlie C. promissed me to get Steve making me a Type II fork to match my Phoenix frame (which is build for a suspension fork ). So far not much answers, but hope to know more soon. I have a few 'vintage' frames here lying around to build up, but in none I have this much eager as I have in the Phoenix, especially since I have a couple of WTB dirt drops waiting for it...
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Retro Grouch

Anyone have a Ham shirt?

Don't know how many of these were made. Probably not that many. Bought it circa 1990 from Bike Beat in Orange, CA.

I had to crop the image so 14 years of baked in, caked on underarm sweat stains are not visible

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So if you have that shirt.....

where are the "Marin County Bicycle Heaven" and
    "Alice B. Toe Clips A legend in her in own mind" tee shirts???? If my adlepated memory serves correct there were in addition a plethora of other T's made by Jaquie. The "Alice B. Toe Clips" was definitely the most hilarious of the lot.
    VH

mtbr member

Those Rule!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobynC
    Don't know how many of these were made. Probably not that many. Bought it circa 1990 from Bike Beat in Orange, CA.

I had to crop the image so 14 years of baked in, caked on underarm sweat stains are not visible
    I say we get together and have some reproduced!

without the underarm sweat stains.....

Members who have read this thread: 0