1 1/8 inch fork on 1 inch bike....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

1 1/8 inch fork on 1 inch bike....

mtbr member
    Good to be clear that this will work only with American standard 1" which is different than the headtubes on our old mountain bikes and road bikes. Pretty much cruisers and BMX only. If you don't want to fuss with finding a combination of mix and match headsets that will work, you can buy one from these guys (not me but he does post here from time to time).

Genuine Bicycle Produsts: Parts and Accesories.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Or you could ream out the head tube to fit a standard 1 1/8" threadless headset like my LBS did for my Schwinn Klunker build.

frog

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Or do what Chris King does and braze the cups of a 1 1/8 headset to the outside of the head tube of a 1" headtube.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2008
    When did the 1-1/8" become the standard?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Or do what Chris King does and braze the cups of a 1 1/8 headset to the outside of the head tube of a 1" headtube.
    Might work for steel cups on a steel frame, not so much for other materials. Difficulty would be getting the cups perfectly aligned prior to brazing in place. Subsequent headset replacements would be bit of a problem...

Call_me_Tom

When did the 1-1/8" become the standard?

Transition was gradually adopted during the early to mid-1990's, approx same timeframe as MTB went from quill stems to aheadset stems so there were very few 1-1/8" quills or 1" MTB aheadset stems.

Members who have read this thread: 1