mtbr member

Ď97 GF Hoo Koo E Koo

Guess Iím just sharing, but there are some questions along the way that opinions would be welcome.

I used to mountain bike a lot back in the late 90ís through about 2006, when I retired from the Navy. My HKEK was my pride and joy. I took it with me on multiple deployments and rode it in every port we pulled into. Raced it at Isle of Wight and in Dubai at the Law Enforcement games (placed second in class), rode it down Mt Etna in Sicily, met locals and rode some awesome trails in Poland, Croatia, and many other places... So yea it has sentimental value to me. I hung her up in the shed in 06.

My middle son started college at VCU in Ď08 and needed a bike, so the HKEK took the duty. He put flat pedals on it, and rode the hell out of it and managed to get hit by a car, but at least it didnít get stolen in Richmond... He returned it and hung her up in the shed. I didnít assess the bikeís condition.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. Wifeís been pressing me to get her a bike and get back into riding... with her. I assessed my HKEK thinking I could fix her up, but other than the frame, things were bad. So we shopped used, REI, and LBSs etc, and ended up getting her an entry level Liv. I fell into lust with the 2019 Fathom 1 and got it. My youngest was home for leave from Italy and was going on about my old HKEK, so I decided to start fixing it up some for him when he gets out of the Army, but found out quickly how it adds up $$$ for good components, and questioned if it was worth it. So did it as budget as I could.

-Both wheels were bent, the rear was really bad - replaced w/Zerolites (need to pull the gawdy stickers)
    -Crank bent and ring gears missing teeth or bent - New SRAM
    -Bald tires - New Panaracers & Kenda tubes
    -Brakes shot - New Shimano pads
    -cassette worn badly - New Shimano Deore
    -pedals where some elcheapo platforms my older son put on it (i use clipless) - New clipless shimano SPDs
    - New shimano chain

To do:
    - cables all need replacing and adjusted
    - Maybe a new fork/shock and service the headset. Recon Silver? It can be set to 80mm travel so it may work? The original Indy XC leaves a lot to be desired, seems soft too.
    - Maybe a new BB and seat? Though the BB and original seat are functional.
    - Touch up the war wounds on the frame? Hindsight I maybe should have stripped the frame and had it painted. Which I could still do.

I got it together tonight and rode it some. Was it worth it? I am not sure. Financially, no, I coulda bought another entry level bike for what Iím putting into it. I also feel like I skimped on the wheels/hubs, but 26Ē were hard to find. As far as the sentimental value it was worth it, and itíll be a second bike for me, and here for the son when he gets home. Hope he appreciates it.

Obligated picture:

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Might try looking for a first generation SID or an older marz z2 or z3. These used a 63mm fork so a modern 80 is going to raise the front end up quite a bit. Those indy's are pretty bad, you can still get elastomers for them though. Might try swapping out for a stiffer one. It would be fairly cheap at least.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Might try looking for a first generation SID or an older marz. These used a 63mm fork so a modern 80 is going to raise the front end up quite a bit. Those indy's are pretty bad, you can still get elastomers for them though. Might try swapping out for a stiffer one. It would be fairly cheap at least.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Youíre absolutely right about it raising the suspension and throwing the geometry off, though I liked the idea of the lockout, and a modern shock. Plus theyíre $250, so it would be a risk since Iím not real sure of the consequences of that additional 17mm would be to the ride.

I am following a Marz Z2 Bomber on fleabay for $100 that has a long enough steer tube, and it ends in a few hours. Maybe Iíll bid. I looked into new elastomers and found some, but theyíre $45! Doesnít seem worth it.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollyrogers View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Youíre absolutely right about it raising the suspension and throwing the geometry off, though I liked the idea of the lockout, and a modern shock. Plus theyíre $250, so it would be a risk since Iím not real sure of the consequences of that additional 17mm would be to the ride.

I am following a Marz Z2 Bomber on fleabay for $100 that has a long enough steer tube, and it ends in a few hours. Maybe Iíll bid. I looked into new elastomers and found some, but theyíre $45! Doesnít seem worth it.
    17mm might not be bad, I put a Marz MX comp on one of my bontragers a while back and it was way too much. I think those were more like 465mm for the 80mm version, coming from about 420 for the indy it replaced, no way that thing was the listed 435, even without a rider on the bike, so almost 2in. Was ridable but the quick feel was gone.

Anyway, $45 is way too much, I was thinking I saw some for $15 or so, but may have just been something I came across on ebay.

At least you're not dealing with a 1in headtube so there actually are options available.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member

Ď97 GF Hoo Koo E Koo

Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    17mm might not be bad, I put a Marz MX comp on one of my bontragers a while back and it was way too much. I think those were more like 465mm for the 80mm version, coming from about 420 for the indy it replaced, no way that thing was the listed 435, even without a rider on the bike, so almost 2in. Was ridable but the quick feel was gone.

Anyway, $45 is way too much, I was thinking I saw some for $15 or so, but may have just been something I came across on ebay.
    I put a bid in on an old marz z2, and got it. Hopefully in good shape, but rebuildable.

mtbr member
    I put an 80mm fork on a 96 Manitou HT and it still rides good.

mtbr member

Ď97 GF Hoo Koo E Koo

I got the Marz bomber v2 on yesterday. The steer tube was about 3/4Ē longer than stock, so I added spacers instead of cutting it down to see how it felt. I liked it a little better comfort wise, though I may be lightening the front wheel too much doing so.

When I installed, I regreased the bearings in the head, but didnít replace. When I went to tighten things up, I thought Iíd be able to tighten till fork would stick a little and just loosen it some. I never got there and felt like I was over tightening things. When I rode it, It was definitely better than the XC, but when the shock extends I feel a little movement, and not sure if itís the shocks reaching full extension or the headset is loose allowing play?