Video editing guidance - help needed for a Limey- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Video editing guidance - help needed for a Limey

Hi,

I have three action cameras with a quite bit of footage saved on memory cards and my Mac Mini. I honestly just don't know what the best way is to catalogue, edit and render the videos I have taken. I am so rubbish at this, I can't remember how to import videos into iMovie.

I don't want to spend more cash particularly (I do this enough already on bikes), but feel like I am not making the most of what I have. However, my stuff is relatively old and more importantly I just am not up to speed on what I can do with what I have.

The Mac Mini is relatively old (late 2012) with a 2.5 Ghz i5 processor and Intel HD 4000 Graphics and 4GB memory. I have 2 x 1TB external USB drives. I would upgrade the mac mini memory (if required and it makes a huge difference).

My action cameras are the following:

Sony HDR AS100V
    Sony HDR AZ1
    Go Pro Session 4

The two Sony ones have electronic stabilization, but honestly I like the simplicity of the Go Pro. I have loads of mounts for both and spare batteries for the two Sony models. I have an iPhone 7, but need to update the apps (Play Memories and Go Pro).

Are there any tips you can provide, easy reference/guidance you can point me to or even other forums you could steer me to on this? Any help would be appreciated, as at the moment I am just not using the gear and have some footage I want to edit from two days in the Alps with Mrs Gribble.

No Clue Crew
    I'd love to help but I'm not positive what your questions are so I'll throw some poo on the wall and see what sticks...

Catalog:
    This should be simple. I have a directory named "GoPro" and inside of it is the years. Inside each year is a directory with the date and a description.

• GoPro
        • 03-04 PMP Cheesegrater
        • 04-19 SoMo National to Saddle
        • 04-20 National via Mormon

Computer:
    Your Mac is really old and I believe it would be underpowered for video. You CAN edit on anything but you may find editing on it makes you want to put a bullet in your head. I have a 15" Dell laptop I bought in '17 with a 4k screen, fast i7, 32G of RAM, a 1TB SSD Hard Drive, and an external 28" 4k monitor. I wish the laptop were faster.

I've seen plenty of movies made in iMovie so I'm sure it's plenty for most. I'm lucky to work in the business somewhat so I use Premiere and After Affects but before that I used Vegas Movie Studio which was a $75 program.

Cameras:
    Your cameras make less difference than most people think. I use GoPro Hero4 Silver cameras. Haven't felt like shelling out a shitload of money for new GoPros.

Technique:
    Here's the key(s):
    1. Shoot THIRD person. Buy some small tripods or Gorillapods and put your cameras on them. First person with the Chesty, even with a gimbal, is not often as interesting as third person. You can mix in some Chesty footage but it's not always easy to make a full Chesty video and have it be interesting.
    2. Edit VERY TIGHT. 5 or 10 minutes of Chesty footage of an easy, non-technical single track trail is rarely interesting. If the first 15 to 30 seconds isn't interesting your viewers won't get any further than that.

Let me know if any of that helps...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Cataloging is what makes sense to you.

Videos
    GoPro
    Bike Rides
    <Location/what trail did I ride, or what is the name of the park/destination I rode>
    <date of video>

If you want to separate which camera you used for each location I would add a camera name beneath date, so when you open up that day you'll each camera model, then finally the content.

As for editing, that is a trial and error thing. Think of videos you have watched, identify things you don't like about their videos. Do not do those things.

Keep your clips short, but not too jumpy. Multiple angles/cameras can be done well with practice.

If using multiple cameras, do what you can to normalize the volume so the listener isn't searching for a volume bar to continually adjust.

Think about what you want us to see and assemble clips accordingly. Have your clips tell a story, if there is one to be had.
    Climbing video isn't very good.
    Talking while climbing doesn't turn out well, if your words are broken and full of deep breaths.
    If your bike is noisy, try to remedy it such as pesky creaks.
    When moving the camera to show stuff, put thought into how quickly you move the camera. If you whip it from one thing to another and back, it will be blurry and hard on the viewers with so much jitter.
    Consider a gimbal. Gimbal is the way to go and creates fantastic content.

Advanced tip: Understand proper export settings so YouTube doesn't destroy playback quality.

Editing will take time to learn unless you're pretty creative and have a knack for it. I struggle from time to time with what to show or how to show it. So hang in there. We all have videos that we ask ourselves how the heck we thought it was good. haha

I'm not much help about your computer. Only suggestion I can offer is to not shoot in 4k. My computer will barely play back 4k content, never mind play it in an editor. If your computer can handle it, shoot in 2.7k on the Hero with ProTune enabled. Otherwise, 1080 will be your best bet. My Hero2 only shoots 1080 and the content looks fine for most applications, devices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Echoing the 4k warning with that hardware level. My fairly recent PC build with a quad core intel chip, samsung 850 pro SSD's, etc. couldn't even play back 4k60 content in Premiere (although it COULD play it fine in VLC. Yay Adobe...) But yeah, it sucked ass having to start by rendering 720p proxies just to be able to start the assembly process.

Problem solved a couple weeks ago with a shiny new Ryzen 7 2700 (non x, but overclocked to 4ghz on all 8 cores without issue.) Plus a half a terabyte of 970 Pro nvme goodness, and bringing ram up to 32 gigs. Playback is buttery smooth, although scrubbing through a video could be a tad smoother. Even playback of the timeline with effects applied in realtime is smooth.

Long story short, that shit is EXTREMELY CPU-intensive, and discrete graphics cards are of dubious value in Premiere beyond a certain level. It doesn't help that 4k output on a Hero 7 Black uses HEVC encoding though. That's gonna be a mofo for resources regardless of resolution.