My GoPro appears to be near sighted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

My GoPro appears to be near sighted

I've been playing around with my GoPro HD for a few weeks but images are not as clear as I am expecting them to be. Things from a distance are slightly blurred while closer objects are crystal clear.

It seems like the focus on my GoPro is actually set for near objects as I am able to get things in focus as close as 2 inches away. According to the specs posted by GoPro, the minimum focal distance is supposed to be 2 feet not 2 inches!

My GoPro is actually a used unit purchased from ebay. Is it possible that the previous owner had installed the wrong lens on the camera housing? I am not sure if the camera is supposed to be used without the housing but I have tried filming with the camera out of the housing and but still have the same problem.

I have posted a video on youtube to demonstrate the problem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObDbuvyEblU

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks like a fish eye lens

bikeboatbrewski
    That is a function of the wide angle lens used for active sports. Some cameras have interchangable lens but I do not think Gopro does. There is a function to crop the view to something like 123 degress. Read the manual.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am not talking about the fish eye effect here, I know that's normal for wide angle shots. I am talking about how objects become blurry and out of focus when its over 10 feet or more away (when it should be within the camera's focal range) while things are crystal clear when I place my camera inches away from it (when it should be outside of the camera's focal range).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have finally fixed the problem!!
    Indeed, someone did not calibrate the focus on the lens properly.

I followed the instruction here:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=303
    to disassemble the camera.

Then followed this brave soul and used a pair of heavy pliers to unscrew and loosen the lens (it was really scary since it took a HUGE amount of force to break the locktite seal):
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=327

Using the new life feed function from the updated firmware while twisting the lens, I was able to bring the camera back into proper focus. The lens was out of position by roughly 1/8th of a turn!!

bikeboatbrewski
    Wow, you really went the distance to fix that. I have never heard of your problem, thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, by purchasing the camera second hand and living in one of the few countries that GoPro refuses to ship to, I seriously doubt that are going to offer me any warranty or support so I was left with no choice other than to disassemble who whole thing and attempt to fix it myself.

Guess I got pretty lucky this time and managed to fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    which way did you rotate the lens?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anti clockwise while trying to break the locktite seal.

Then try both directions until I got a clear image.

Members who have read this thread: 0