Just edited my first video, need input!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Just edited my first video, need input!

Using microsoft movie maker, fused a couple of recordings together and added music

I saved it as a 720p file with 10mbit bitrate (movie maker recommends 5 mbit for youtube), but somehow it's still grainy and worse than the 720p of the camera. Should I try to increase the bitrate even higher at the cost of a much larger file size? Is there some golden sweetspot for bitrate in regards to mountainbiking or is it just a case of "the more the better"?

Also, I have no experience in regards to videos or anything like that. Would a person like me benefit from something more advanced than microsoft movie maker?

Any help or input appreciated!

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    I have no experience of MS Movie Maker (I'm on a Mac) but some questions:

1) Are you using Movie Maker to export direct to YouTube or exporting to file first and then uploading?
    2) If exporting to file, is your video grainy prior to upload to YouTube or is the graininess after YouTube further compresses it?

In general the rule is to export to file first and then upload to YouTube. Usually this gives you more control on the compression coming out of your editing program but Movie Maker may be limited in this regards. You should not need 10mbps for 720p. I upload 1080p and 60fps and I only use 12mbps. I will admit that what I upload to YouTube is not as clear as in my editing suite, but the original is running at 25mbps which more than doubles the video size and exporting at 20mbps did not look that different that 12..

You can certainly try high bit rates (YouTube will just recompress it anyway) but you maybe experiencing limitations in Movie Maker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    To answer your question, I do export to a new file first and then upload the new file to youtube.

@stochastic
    So I read it as I should just save the largest file possible?

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
    To share the best quality video:

-Capture the highest quality file that you can at the highest resolution for the application. If using a Gopro, enable Protune, low sharpening, native WB, etc.

-Color correct, sharpen, etc. in post and export once at a bit rate that is very close to your original bit rate.

-Upload that file to Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
    I don't disagree with that. Just remember that the OP is using Windows Movie Maker. I'm really not sure how much you can expect the OP to color correct, etc in Movie Maker. Also, no all GoPros have ProTune. My Hero 3+ Silver doesn't for example.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    What does the color correct do? I play around with color warmth, saturation and brightness through the youtube edit functions once I have uploaded it.