How To Make Your Video Better- Mtbr.com
    Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008

Wink How To Make Your Video Better

I've learned quite a few things about video editing over the years, so I thought I'd share some tips with y'all.

These are all basically things that I try to do, and might not fit with everyones style of vid making, I'm concentrating more on how to make something like a pro section.

1. Firstly, don't use a whole sequence of fixed position shots strung together. They look really good on their own or a couple of clips, but whole videos made out of what is essentially the same shot makes for dull viewing. Intersperse your tripod/sitting on a log camera shots with headcam/barcam shots.

2. Secondly, another note about fixed position shots. Do not start every clip with you off screen and entering, and then cutting when you have left the shot. Make your cuts faster and more intuitive. Don't make the viewer have to wait, unless its a build up to something big. Try something like starting the clip with the rider half on screen, and almost always before they leave shot. Sounds strange but when you watch it as a whole it will work. This is especially important for xc trail videos where the riding may not be so fast, and waiting for a rider to exit the screen before the next cut in every clip is boring and disrupts the flow of your video. Do some sections where the cuts are very quick and you dont even see the entire action. You'd be surprised how perceptive a viewer is, you don't need to make everything blatantly obvious if that makes sense. Watch pro films to see how they make nice cuts, and rip them the hell off!

3. When tackling a nice obstacle, shoot it 3 or 4 times to get different angles you can cut to. The most helpful thing you can have is someone else helping to film you.
    For example: on a ladder with say, a steep entry and a drop exit, get a fixed approach shot, cut to a closer moving shot when on the ladder, cut to fixed shot of the same action, and cut to one or other for the exit shot. Just try and mix it up a little. It will make your tech skills look more impressive and make for much more interesting viewing. Watch videos of northshore stuff (ignoring the cablecam shots, unless you have one!)

4. Music. Often such an overlooked part. First off, do not make your video and then fire your favourite song over the top of it. Chances are it won't fit, and will just become something to fill the silence. It should be much more than that! The best sections in films are ALWAYS when the editor has considered what is happening in the soundtrack. Have your song picked first, and then make your movie along to it. The blend between backing track and footage can be really effective, so use your cuts to get a rhythm going, that will make it seem smoother flowing. Remember the music can also give you a structure to work with. Also, tracks that are mostly song, with stops and starts and loads of lyrics dont tend to work. You need something a little more constant that you get get some flow from. For the perfect example of this see Fabien Barel's part in NWD8.

5. Overlays and Titles. When titling your films, dont slam big 3D/multicoloured fonts over it, it will end up looking like a powerpoint presentation. (You know what I mean right?) And instantly be obvious that you made it in movie maker. Something that people hardly ever do is use subtlety when it comes to words on the screen. Use plain, smooth fonts that dont scream "i used the raddest default font, see it has fire and a shadow!", because unless you have adobe after effects it will probably look naff. Also, i try not to have your titles flying in from the top or bottom of the screen, keep it simple, it looks better. Maybe for a location, have it come in from the left side into the left corner, and then shoot offscreen the way it came. Play around with things like that. But I generally like to avoid moving text around.

6. When you are about to make a directorial desicion, do not announce it in large letters on the screen. e.g. the clip is about to speed up, so i'll write "Lets Speed It Up!" on the screen. I know you've sped it up, i can see that. It would've looked cool, but for the fact that you told me you were doing it. Basically never tell the viewer something they can see perfectly well for themselves. You should only be using words for titling. locations and credits. If theres a story behind a scene put it on a black screen as a paragraph, and slow fade from that into the scene. Or something like that.

7. Effects Transitions (star wipe, shattering screen, etc etc). Don't touch them. Ever. They are there for people to make daft videos of their kids. Which in turn will make your slick mtb vid look like a lame home movie. Only use the crossfade (one clip fading into another) or the fade out/fade in. These are very useful. When you have a fade though, try to make it fairly slow don't rush it, if you want a sudden effect, just cut from black straight into a clip. That can look very cool. (I mean for the end/beginning of a segment, not between cuts.)

There you go thats all I can think of just now. I guarantee that if you follow each of these to at least some extent it will improve your movies. (Or maybe not, you might already be quite good )
    Last edited by redrook; 01-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Lead by example. I haven't gone to the website in your signature yet, but I can't seem to find your videos posted here on the mtbr. ?? If you've got some good footage, please share.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    Lead by example. I haven't gone to the website in your signature yet, but I can't seem to find your videos posted here on the mtbr. ?? If you've got some good footage, please share.
    The site in my sig is a shop. I'm afraid I don't have anything that I would be allowed to upload, and frankly I'm too busy with my degree just now to make anything bike related . Hopefully sometime soon, but probably not until summer.
    Last edited by redrook; 01-21-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redrook
    The site in my sig is a shop. I'm afraid I don't have anything that I would be allowed to upload, and frankly I'm too busy with my degree just now to make anything. Hopefully sometime soon, but probably not until summer.
    It's up to you wether you choose to follow my advice or not, you'll just have to trust me. Its not much effort to try any of the things ive suggested, and if you don't like it don't use it.
    I wonder if they have an equivalent to "All hat, no cattle" on that side of the pond?

mtbr member
    good points man.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by curious george
    I wonder if they have an equivalent to "All hat, no cattle" on that side of the pond?
    I'm sure we have an equivalent, but I get it. If you have actually read it and theres something you disagree with say so.
    Reading through your posts you seem to like giving people advice about camera work so you of all people should be agreeing with this. Have you got links to any videos of yours?
    Geez, I thought this would be helpful to people.
    Last edited by redrook; 01-19-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    good points man.
    Thanks VP, seeing your vids this clearly is not aimed at you

Hard as nails
    Thanks VP, seeing your vids this clearly is not aimed at you
    I thought your tips were helpful.
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman
    I thought your tips were helpful.
    Thanks bud, happy to.

mtbr member
    That's great advice. You really hit on some key points. Thanks for taking the time to share your insight.

Bri

Dec 2006
    I'm sure we have an equivalent, but I get it.
    So you apparently have posted videos to Youtube, why won't you share them so folks can judge for themselves?

If you have actually read it and theres something you disagree with say so.
    I was originally commenting upon your desire to dispense advice but your unwillingness to back that advice up with any videos that you've created following your own advice. Hence, "all hat, no cattle."

I could go through many of your pronouncements above with examples of how your absolutes don't apply (all fixed shots, only use fades, repeated abgles, etc.) but that would be belaboring the point.

Have you got links to any videos of yours?
    Sure thing:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_gallery.htm

Where is the link to your videos?

Geez, I thought this would be helpful to people.
    I'm sure some of it was helpful to some folks. I just think some of your pronouncements were off base.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    So you apparently have posted videos to Youtube, why won't you share them so folks can judge for themselves?
    I was originally commenting upon your desire to dispense advice but your unwillingness to back that advice up with any videos that you've created following your own advice. Hence, "all hat, no cattle."
    I could go through many of your pronouncements above with examples of how your absolutes don't apply (all fixed shots, only use fades, repeated abgles, etc.) but that would be belaboring the point.

Sure thing:

I have posted things on youtube, quite a few things, but no bike videos. Hence I have nothing relevant to post. I would be very willing to share a video, but as I have said 3 times I am extremely busy with uni course, I'm not even in the same county as my bike just now.

As I said, these are only my opinions, and unlike you, I am not procaliming to be a know-it-all. Also reading through your posts, i see you have never started a thread, and most of your posts are argumentative.

If you watch professional videos, you will notice that they do not use reaped angles for entire sections (unless of course they use a helicopter, maybe you have one?)
    As for fades. Again, watch proffessionals. Unless you access to after effects, which the majority do not, there are few default transitions that dont look naff.
    The all fixed shots thing bores me, therefore I can categorically state that it makes dull viewing. I don't really care if you like it, it bores me. And again, watch a pro editor, they wont do that.
    Now of course, there are always exceptions to any rule, but as basic generalites for the untrained, I sand by everything.

You will have to face the fact that all advice is opinion, these are opinions, take it or leave it. Alot of my advice comes from observations, watching professionals, from thier work in videos and as they do it. I know that I know what I'm talking about, and reading through it again I really dont think any of it needs proved since its all fairly straightforward to understand.

I only watched one of yours, because they are quite big files, so i watched the ft bragg one.
    It seemed quite competant. Initially my only criticsm is that in the headcam you have left the sound on, so you get the wind noise which i would have muted. But depends what you're going for. It is a shame there are no moving shots, but again thats something you can only do if you have someone else there, as I said. A slow pan from a tripod as you go round one of those turns would look nice.
    But other than that, you seem to have done exactly the things that i said. You have interspersed the types of clip, you have kept your cuts quite nicely timed, and you have avoided all naff cliches. So in showing me that video youve just eaten your words. In fact each of the things you disagreed with, you did in this video. I really don't see what your problem is, other than the fact you like making one for no reason.
    Anyway, I enjoyed that vid and I'll try and work my way through some more of them, thanks.

EDIT: Have just watched turkeycreek. I think you and I are differing in perception here. I am aiming at people who are trying to create a section, rather than a document of a ride. My critique of that video would be quite long, but ultimately redundant, because you are not trying to create the sort of video that I'm talking about. As a document of a ride it was quite good.
    Last edited by redrook; 01-19-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Dec 2006
    I have posted things on youtube, quite a few things, but no bike videos.
    So why not post them? Editing is editing, regardless of subject.

As I said, these are only my opinions, and unlike you, I am not procaliming to be a know-it-all.
    Where did I proclaim myself to be a know-it-all?

Please quote where I claimed that. Thanks.

As for fades. Again, watch proffessionals. Unless you access to after effects, which the majority do not, there are few default transitions that dont look naff.
    Yes. Watch professional videos. Count how many times they do not use fades, but use cuts instead for their transitions. Get it?

The all fixed shots thing bores me, therefore I can categorically state that it makes dull viewing.
    Who is the "know-it-all"?

I know that I know what I'm talking about,
    I disagree.

I only watched one of yours, because they are quite big files, so i watched the ft bragg one.
    It seemed quite competant. Initially my only criticsm is that in the headcam you have left the sound on, so you get the wind noise which i would have muted.
    Trail noise can add to the realistic feel/ambiance to the video. Especially if it is dropped down to be background rather than foreground audio.

But depends what you're going for. It is a shame there are no moving shots, but again thats something you can only do if you have someone else there, as I said. A slow pan from a tripod as you go round one of those turns would look nice.
    But other than that, you seem to have done exactly the things that i said. You have interspersed the types of clip, you have kept your cuts quite nicely timed, and you have avoided all naff cliches. So in showing me that video youve just eaten your words. In fact each of the things you disagreed with, you did in this video. I really don't see what your problem is, other than the fact you like making one for no reason.
    What you seem to fail to understand is that not all videos have the purpose that you seem to have set as the only purpose (a "pro" video). Some videos are merely shot on the fly with few B roll shots so as not to interrupt the ride. Some are shot as solo efforts to highlight a trail, or as a comparison between camera setups (ft. bragg), etc. etc.

No, I didn't "eat my words" by linking to my vids and each of the things that I disagreed with I did not do in that video. Many of your pronouncements remain quite silly.

EDIT: Have just watched turkeycreek. I think you and I are differing in perception here. I am aiming at people who are trying to create a section, rather than a document of a ride. My critique of that video would be quite long, but ultimately redundant, because you are not trying to create the sort of video that I'm talking about. As a document of a ride it was quite good.
    See above.

Perhaps you should re-title this thread to "How To Make Your Video Resemble The Limited Type Of Video That "redrook" Thinks Is The Best"

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    So why not post them? Editing is editing, regardless of subject.
    Yes. Watch professional videos. Count how many times they do not use fades, but use cuts instead for their transitions. Get it?

Trail noise can add to the realistic feel/ambiance to the video. Especially if it is dropped down to be background rather than foreground audio.

What you seem to fail to understand is that not all videos have the purpose that you seem to have set as the only purpose (a "pro" video). Some videos are merely shot on the fly with few B roll shots so as not to interrupt the ride. Some are shot as solo efforts to highlight a trail, or as a comparison between camera setups (ft. bragg), etc. etc.
    Actually they use fades all the time. Also, isnt there a whole bit in there about using cuts instead? There is, there is a whole bit in there about using cuts instead.

Yup, the trail noise achieves that exact effect, hence I said, depends what youre going for.

*sigh* No I dont fail to see understand, I have said few times that this is just my opinion and this is just to do with the way I'm talking about. Didnt say, or even insinuate that this was the only way to make a movie. I am merely relaying some things I have learned working with professionals. What you dont understand is that including any "professional" element to a video will make it even better regadless of purpose.

I think i just said were talking about different types of film. I did, I did just say that. And again, if my video is limited then why do your films all follow the rules ive written.

You remind me of how my kid brother used to be, now piss off if youre going to be argumentative, youre clogging up my thread. I will not reply to you again, ciao.
    Last edited by redrook; 01-19-2009 at 06:26 PM.

My spoon is too big!
    Sure thing:

I sincerely hope you actually are Pete Fagerlin, posting under a different user name, and not just taking credit for his work.

I think the OP makes some great observations and suggestions. You don't have to be a pro videographer to know a boring video when you see it. redrook simply took the time to express his opinions in writing. Nobody has to take it for gospel. I happen to agree with him, and my first attempt at editing is sticking with most of his points.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyard
    I sincerely hope you actually are Pete Fagerlin, posting under a different user name, and not just taking credit for his work.

I think the OP makes some great observations and suggestions. You don't have to be a pro videographer to know a boring video when you see it. redrook simply took the time to express his opinions in writing. Nobody has to take it for gospel. I happen to agree with him, and my first attempt at editing is sticking with most of his points.
    Thanks friend, glad to be of any help. Look forward to seeing your video

Quote Originally Posted by mbyard
    he's certainly done it before.......and you know it's gonna get ugly when even the infamous Pete is using a pseudo-screen-nym.

btw, redrook, i hope my comment didn't come off sounding negative and starting all this, I was only jokin.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    btw, redrook, i hope my comment didn't come off sounding negative and starting all this, I was only jokin.
    heh not at all man, i didnt want to start an argument and your comment coulve been taken either way so i assumed the best

Dec 2006
    Actually they use fades all the time. Also, isnt there a whole bit in there about using cuts instead? There is, there is a whole bit in there about using cuts instead.

Yup, the trail noise achieves that exact effect, hence I said, depends what youre going for.

*sigh* No I dont fail to see understand, I have said few times that this is just my opinion and this is just to do with the way I'm talking about. Didnt say, or even insinuate that this was the only way to make a movie. I am merely relaying some things I have learned working with professionals. What you dont understand is that including any "professional" element to a video will make it even better regadless of purpose.

I think i just said were talking about different types of film. I did, I did just say that. And again, if my video is limited then why do your films all follow the rules ive written.

You remind me of how my kid brother used to be, now piss off if youre going to be argumentative, youre clogging up my thread. I will not reply to you again, ciao.
    That was funny.

Now, why are you afraid to link to all of those videos that you've made?

mtbr member
    redrook is just posting suggestions, no need to go all crazy about that. You can listen to the suggestions, or not. Its really that easy.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Thanks folks, If anyone has any questions about anything ive said, fire them my way and i'll try to help as best i can.

Woodlot local
    This thread is a textbook case of someone making 'suggestions' about another persons passion.

Regardless of the original posters intentions (of which I agree with for the most part), Redrook will be seen as high and mighty to those that have made videos that don't meet his criteria or have the 'flaws' he mentioned.

This is not a fight or conversation that will result in anything constructive.

Some good points and ideas were presented.

Now what I really think people should do is ride more and ***** less.

Have a good one.

mtbr member
    There are some good points in the original post, but I do find it very funny that he's unable and/or unwilling to show some off his stellar editing skills. If you're going to dispense a lot of advice I think you need to back it up. As a final note, some of the advice is indeed good (I hate wipes and big ugly distracting fonts too), but while there are some rules to making a solid video, they don't always apply- sometimes the best vids are the ones that break the rules.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Thanks folks, If anyone has any questions about anything ive said, fire them my way and i'll try to help as best i can.
    I pretty much agree with all your points; they are a good start for people just getting into video editing, and even for those who have been at it for a while, as a kind of reminder. Just as in theatrical films, the special effects, and all the "bells & whistles"-when/if used-should *compliment* the film, and be there for a reason, not just for its own sake or for cheap thrills.

The story, acting, plot, writing and directing are the most important assets of good film making. I don't claim to be a great editor, and I must admit I still use movie maker, but I keep it simple, and let my riding do the talking. Here are just two of my 140 or so videos I've made over the past couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlS25d18aA&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RglYUOOBap4&fmt=22

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete.Fagerlin
    Today's word is:

Deinterlace.
    Watch in in HD. It looks pretty damn good for youtube! But as soon as I get my new HD camcorder, which shoots 1080 HD Progressive!, you should be a happy clam.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I'm not sure the average viewer will really notice anything. Looked ok to me for a video uploaded to youtube.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I'm not sure the average viewer will really notice anything. Looked ok to me for a video uploaded to youtube.
    Today's phrase: THANK YOU!

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    My suggestion has nothing to do with watching it in HD, or what your new camcorder can do.

Your video needs to be deinterlaced during rendering to remove the horizontal motion artifacts.
    I'm happy with it the way it is.

Bottom line for me is, the quality of my "interlaced" video(s) in HD are vastly superior in video quality to the old Youtube quality *before* they had HD, even if they were deinterlaced!

Today's word is:

Deinterlace.
    I feel like I just learned something. google/wiki is a great combo.

it is a cool video btw, I just don't understand the uni people, i think it's the lack of speed..........and the fact that I can't ride one for sh!t.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Interlaced should not be in quotes. There is no question, your video is interlaced, hence the horizontal motion artifacts throughout. Deinterlacing your video during rendering is Video 101 type stuff.

If you're happy with your videos that is great. I was just offering you a suggestion that would make your video look much better than it currently does. It's a very simple thing to do to increase the quality.

Oh well.

Simple? Care to expand on that with specifics? I run vista and movie maker. Your move.

Over 50, & not '2' tired

it is a cool video btw, I just don't understand the uni people, i think it's the lack of speed..........and the fact that I can't ride one for sh!t.
    What I may lack in speed (I can hit 11-12 mph on my 24" MUni!) I more than make up for in big drops, gaps, hopping from rock to rock, obstacle to obstacle, and and the ability to stop and turn a pin head! And the drops I do I hardly EVER see even the most seasoned mtbers try!

I can also leave most mtbers in the dust on steep climbs; while they're in the lowest gear, pedaling fast but moving at a snail's pace, I pass with ease. And I have NO gears to help me climb, and I can't take the easy way out and simply COAST down hill. That's why it's the most amazing way to get fit and stay that way. It's a major core workout. Plus the chicks dig it and it's so...well, "UNIque"! But mtbing is awesome too, it's just not enough of a challenge for me.

mtbr dismember

Why so stubborn?

Why be so stubborn? Deinterlaceing will to get rid of that "venetian blind effect"so obvious in your video. You go to all the trouble of making an otherwise good video and when Pete tells you how to improve it with just a few clicks you become defensive. The free Windows Media Encoder will give you many more options and allow you to present better quality videos.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I need to relook this video. The effect was not obvious to me. I'll admit I only briefly looked at parts of it quickly. I noticed some of his footage looked hazy but chalked that up to lighting conditions. How does one know of his or her footage is interlaced to begin with? I guess mine's not because the de-interlacing choice on my editor (Pinnacle Studio 12) is greyed out--??

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Go here and download the appropriate, free, Windows Media Encoder:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

Google is a cool thing, eh?
    Yeah, and you know what else is "cool"? Reading my post! I said I have VISTA. And I DLd THIS very encoder long ago, and it didn't work, They clearly warn against possible "ISSUES" when running the program on computers running vista. But thanks for playing! And Deinerlacing is mostly helpful when using slow motion or if you are given to advancing the video frame by frame; most people just hit the "play" button, watch and enjoy.

mtbr member
    I've learned quite a few things about video editing over the years, so I thought I'd share some tips with y'all.
    Hey, I thank you for posting the information. Sure there's stuff in there I already know. But sometimes I need a kick in the pants reminder. Especially when I get lazy.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I need to relook this video. The effect was not obvious to me. I'll admit I only briefly looked at parts of it quickly. I noticed some of his footage looked hazy but chalked that up to lighting conditions. How does one know of his or her footage is interlaced to begin with? I guess mine's not because the de-interlacing choice on my editor (Pinnacle Studio 12) is greyed out--??
    I'll admit that I never would have noticed it if I didn't look at the explanation on wikipedia (they show examples, i was surprised at the amount of info). It sounds like it's only a problem with HD video, so I'm not gonna be concerned for quite a while.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    I'll admit that I never would have noticed it if I didn't look at the explanation on wikipedia (they show examples, i was surprised at the amount of info). It sounds like it's only a problem with HD video, so I'm not gonna be concerned for quite a while.
    Youtube HD now is awesome and the old YT quality pales big time by comparison. Just watch my video in "normal view" (click bottom right side of viewscreen to take off HD) and then you will see just how impressive it is in HD; even if it is "interlaced", lol! I am totally satisfied and more than happy with the way it looks in HD, but some people will still nitpick and miss the point entirely, which is it still looks damn good as it is, and is more than adequate for high quality viewing!

ANd just for the record, my videos have close to 200,000 views, and the guy here who brought up this "delinterlacing" thing is the only one out of TENS OF THOUSANDS of positive comments to have mentioned it. If it bothers him I'm sorry; It doesn't phase me or the vast majority of my viewers one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by unigeezer
    Youtube HD now is awesome and the old YT quality pales big time by comparison. Just watch my video in "normal view" (click bottom right side of viewscreen to take off HD) and then you will see just how impressive it is in HD; even if it is "interlaced", lol! I am totally satisfied and more than happy with the way it looks in HD, but some people will still nitpick and miss the point entirely, which is it still looks damn good as it is, and is more than adequate for high quality viewing!

ANd just for the record, my videos have close to 200,000 views, and the guy here who brought up this "delinterlacing" thing is the only one out of TENS OF THOUSANDS of positive comments to have mentioned it. If it bothers him I'm sorry; It doesn't phase me or the vast majority of my viewers one iota.
    Settle down, this is a discussion. Pete brought up an issue and it's being discussed. No one has said anything negative about your video (can't actually verify that because Pete has once again been banned into the oblivion and his posts are gone). I enjoyed the video and watched the whole thing.

I think what was being discussed was more on the techie side of things, not your actual videos. If you hadn't noticed, Pete's somewhat of a perfectionist with his videos. He's really good with this video stuff, but he sometimes has a problem conveying his opinions in the most agreeable tone.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Settle down, this is a discussion. Pete brought up an issue and it's being discussed. No one has said anything negative about your video (can't actually verify that because Pete has once again been banned into the oblivion and his posts are gone). I enjoyed the video and watched the whole thing.

I think what was being discussed was more on the techie side of things, not your actual videos. If you hadn't noticed, Pete's somewhat of a perfectionist with his videos. He's really good with this video stuff, but he sometimes has a problem conveying his opinions in the most agreeable tone.
    Ok sorry if I conveyed a defensive attitude. All I was trying to say was that to me, I think the video looks fine the way it is, and I never noticed ANY problems in quality with respect to "interlacing" or whatever. I have looked into that subject long prior to his suggestion, and just decided it was way more hassle than I wanted to deal with, especially since I can't "see" anything wrong woth the video quality as it is. Thanks!

Jan 2007
    ANd just for the record, my videos have close to 200,000 views, and the guy here who brought up this "delinterlacing" thing is the only one out of TENS OF THOUSANDS of positive comments to have mentioned it.
    What are you trying to accomplish by lying so blatantly?

Unigeezer/Muniaddict 12/30/2008:

"Thanks. Yeah Jeremy mentioned that to me about the lines but I thought it was just in my editor. I didn't really notice any lines when I watch it. But how would you fix it? It automatically deinterlaced or whatever that is for dvd quality playback. In movie maker I have several options to save it in different qualities, from super low 114 kbps to avi to 1080 HD. I usually save it as a wmv file at 3.0 mbps dvd quality."

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=25

Need another example?

All I was trying to say was that to me, I think the video looks fine the way it is, and I never noticed ANY problems in quality with respect to "interlacing" or whatever. I have looked into that subject long prior to his suggestion
    A month is "long prior"?

WME works on Vista, you just need to read that page and click through to the Vista fix. Easy peasy.

Virtualdub also does deinterlacing for free if you are still struggling with WME.

Interlaced video noticeable whenever there is motion, not just when the video is showing in slow motion, and not just in HD.

All of the above assumes that you are actually interested in making your videos look better, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.

Quote Originally Posted by iHelmetcam
    What are you trying to accomplish by lying so blatantly?

Unigeezer/Muniaddict 12/30/2008:

"Thanks. Yeah Jeremy mentioned that to me about the lines but I thought it was just in my editor. I didn't really notice any lines when I watch it. But how would you fix it? It automatically deinterlaced or whatever that is for dvd quality playback. In movie maker I have several options to save it in different qualities, from super low 114 kbps to avi to 1080 HD. I usually save it as a wmv file at 3.0 mbps dvd quality."

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=25

Need another example?

A month is "long prior"?

WME works on Vista, you just need to read that page and click through to the Vista fix. Easy peasy.

Virtualdub also does deinterlacing for free if you are still struggling with WME.

Interlaced video noticeable whenever there is motion, not just when the video is showing in slow motion, and not just in HD.

All of the above assumes that you are actually interested in making your videos look better, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.
    welcome back Pete.

edit: sorry, Welcome back Mr. Fagerlin is what I meant to write. (your e-sleuth skills frighten me)

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    In a fun vein---

I wonder if---

--Pete and Monogod are related!

lollollol

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iHelmetcam
    video noticeable whenever there is motion, not just when the video is showing in slow motion, and not just in HD.

I think using the word indefensible is a bit over the top pete but agreed. Unless you have a very good camera that can shoot at 1/1600+ and are going forn the gladiator/saving private ryan (I think spv was f2.8 at 1/2000?) look its a good idea to interlace, especially when you want smooth, readable movement.

mtbr member
    its a good idea to interlace, especially when you want smooth, readable movement.
    I'm guessing you are saying it's better when shooting action? But not for the final output/rendering?

I agree it's better shooting interlaced if your camera only supports shooting interlaced and not progressive at the frame rate needed. Otherwise, it's better shooting progressive. The entry on wikipedia has a good explanation of the problems with interlacing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

Here's an interesting article that explains interlacing and a technique to convert interlaced video:

http://www.et.byu.edu/~wheeler/benchtop/videotips.php

Also, folks should realize that there are two settings that make a big difference in the look:

• Frame rate
    • Shutter speed

Interlacing is related to frame rate. But shutter speed should also be considered in the equation. Increasing the shutter speed can reduce the blur on each frame since the shutter is open for a shorter period of time. That means anything being filmed will be recorded for a shorter period of time and have less a chance to blur across the frame.

So increasing the shutter speed will sharpen the image but it will also lead to a stroboscopic effect. This is the "Saving Private Ryan" look you mention above.

But this talk of frame rate and shutter speed is meaningless to most of the helmet cam hardware available since they are usually only automatic. So you are stuck letting the camera decide "the look".
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

Apr 2009
    Am I supposed to be impressed? I am not.

Members who have read this thread: 0