mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Hero 7 Black Wind Noise Hack

I recently purchased a Hero 7 Black. After watching a few Youtubers that I follow I realized that the Hero 4 was preferred for the sound quality.

The ideal method of the Youtubers I watched is to place some kind of felt or foam over the microfone openings of the Hero 4 and use it without the protective case for higher quality sound recording.

After thinking about it for a bit I wondered: why can稚 the microphone openings on the Hero 7 be filled in, and still be able to use the protective case?

So I got some pointed tweezers, a q-tip, and a long push pin with a enlarged end (easy to handle)

1. With the tweezers, I pinched off a bit of cotton from the q-tip

2. I gently rolled the cotton, but not into a tight ball

3. I used the push pin to gently stuff the cotton into the microphone openings

No wind noise, but since I知 out of shape I could hear my labored breathing clearly lol!
    Last edited by Special18; 2 Days Ago at 06:33 AM.

jcd's best friend

Hero 7 Black Wind Noise Hack

I just install a GoPro Windslayer and run full stereo settings and I have zero wind noise and great sound. I have a YouTube channel full of my Hero 7 Black video using this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I just install a GoPro Windslayer and run full stereo settings and I have zero wind noise and great sound. I have a YouTube channel full of my Hero 7 Black video using this setup.

Nice!

I wanted to see if there was an alternative since a have given GoPro so much of my money already (Quik Key, 3 in one, simi hard case, extra battery, chesty) lol!

jcd's best friend
    Yeah I have 4 GoPro cameras: 3 Blacks and 1 session. I also use a Stuntman chest harness too. I have a gimbal to use with my Hero 4 but I知 selling everything and sticking with my 7 for year-round recording.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah I have 4 GoPro cameras: 3 Blacks and 1 session. I also use a Stuntman chest harness too. I have a gimbal to use with my Hero 4 but I知 selling everything and sticking with my 7 for year-round recording.

Wow, image stabilization really helped take the load off for you.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Special18 View Post
    Wow, image stabilization really helped take the load off for you.
    Big time! I知 impressed with the quality of the video and stability. Plus using the Windslayer with stereo sound makes a great sounding video!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Big time! I知 impressed with the quality of the video and stability. Plus using the Windslayer with stereo sound makes a great sounding video!

My first videos were crap! I got good shots of my handle bars and feet! Lol! I知 looking forward to getting the right camera angle and better shots. I watched Jordanboostmasters YouTube tutorial for setting up my GoPro and I like the results that I got.

I知 impressed with the sound quality with my camera in the case along with my hack.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Special18 View Post
    My first videos were crap! I got good shots of my handle bars and feet! Lol! I知 looking forward to getting the right camera angle and better shots. I watched Jordanboostmasters YouTube tutorial for setting up my GoPro and I like the results that I got.

I知 impressed with the sound quality with my camera in the case along with my hack.
    Try recording in superview. I like to use 4K superview and it records my entire front end of the bike from my chest mount. A lot of my early videos were not that great because I used the wrong bit rate. I asked a popular YouTuber what he uses and I gave it a shot.
    It worked perfectly!

Also, I couldn't get the color schemes correct in both Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro. In my last video, I finally got them right by accident in Adobe Premiere. I accidently layered saturation on top of my project clip twice but I only adjusted 1 of them. Out of nowhere, my outdoor scenery looked way better LOL! I had a bit of difficulty setting my colors in FCPX because it's very indepth.

Ever since then, I've been mostly using Adobe Premiere over Final Cut Pro and I may just stick with it from here on out.

Here is my channel. You can check out some of my work. The last video I posted was my "ah ha!" moment for all of the settings. It was also a college class project.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCct...HS5F_x6p5HNyYg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Try recording in superview. I like to use 4K superview and it records my entire front end of the bike from my chest mount. A lot of my early videos were not that great because I used the wrong bit rate. I asked a popular YouTuber what he uses and I gave it a shot.
    It worked perfectly!

Also, I couldn't get the color schemes correct in both Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro. In my last video, I finally got them right by accident in Adobe Premiere. I accidently layered saturation on top of my project clip twice but I only adjusted 1 of them. Out of nowhere, my outdoor scenery looked way better LOL! I had a bit of difficulty setting my colors in FCPX because it's very indepth.

Ever since then, I've been mostly using Adobe Premiere over Final Cut Pro and I may just stick with it from here on out.

Here is my channel. You can check out some of my work. The last video I posted was my "ah ha!" moment for all of the settings. It was also a college class project.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCct...HS5F_x6p5HNyYg
    Next time I ride I値l try superview. I just purchased an iPad Pro 10.5 so I値l be editing my GoPro vids on that. At the moment, I知 using an app called VideoGrade to color correct my videos. I値l be experimenting between that, iMovie, and the GoPro app until I refine my skills.

I値l definitely check out your channel!