GoPro Users: Best/Simplest Editing Software for MacBook Pro?- Mtbr.com
    high pivot witchcraft

GoPro Users: Best/Simplest Editing Software for MacBook Pro?

Hey guys. Just trying to figure out what is the best editing software to use on my MacBook Pro for my GoPro (and Mavic Air) footage. I am a rank rookie when it comes to editing so it cannot be too advanced. A good balance between ease of use and potential for a nice finished product is what I am looking for. Also, my MBP is not new - it's 4 years old, 2.2 i7, with 16 GB of memory.

Peeps at the drone forums who edit their Mavic footage on their iOS devices seem to love LumaFusion. I may try that as well but I am also looking for something for my MBP.

Thanks tons.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Have you played around with iMovie yet? I think it's already installed free with the IOS and it would get your feet wet on editing.

If you outgrow that, then there's Final Cut Pro.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Have you played around with iMovie yet? I think it's already installed free with the IOS and it would get your feet wet on editing.

If you outgrow that, then there's Final Cut Pro.
    Thanks NW. Much appreciated.

My Mavic Air and Hero 5 are still unwrapped. So no - I havenít even captured any footage yet.

I will try iMovie. I think FCP is pretty pricey, is it not?

Listening to LDR in the sun as I barbecue burgers and drink a fine dark craft ale...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I started with I-Movie, as stated by Net wurker it's free and pretty darn capable. I used it happily for at least 3 years and as my skills grew I eventually dropped the $$ on Final Cut Pro X last year. What's nice is if you learn on I-Movie and really get into editing and putting together footage the transition to Final Cut Pro X is fairly easy.
    One issue I ran into pretty quickly on my MacBook was storage. You may want to install a JetDrive for your video footage?
    Good luck and have fun!
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
    I started with I-Movie, as stated by Net wurker it's free and pretty darn capable. I used it happily for at least 3 years and as my skills grew I eventually dropped the $$ on Final Cut Pro X last year. What's nice is if you learn on I-Movie and really get into editing and putting together footage the transition to Final Cut Pro X is fairly easy.
    One issue I ran into pretty quickly on my MacBook was storage. You may want to install a JetDrive for your video footage?
    Good luck and have fun!
    Thank you. I was going to buy 2 128 Sandisk Extreme V30 cards and a 6 TB Western Digital external hard drive tomorrow. Would you suggest anything different?

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post

Listening to LDR...
    Cut a rug...lean into the phukkin youth.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thank you. I was going to buy 2 128 Sandisk Extreme V30 cards and a 6 TB Western Digital external hard drive tomorrow. Would you suggest anything different?
    I'm learning about storage as I go so I'm not the best source. When I initially started having storage issues I bought a 260GB SSD card and transfered my I tunes library, Lightroom library and I-Movie over to it. I got about 2 years out of it and just purchased a 5TB external drive which I now plan to run LR and FCPX off of. I'm hoping to get many years out of this set up! It sounds to me like your doing it right out of the gate.
    Good luck!
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr