GoPro HERO4 Black SD errors- Mtbr.com
    built to thrash
    Apr 2015

GoPro HERO4 Black SD errors

*I had purchased a Satellite C40D-A laptop not long ago. I had been buying Toshiba's since my years in university and never had issues with their products. I had no idea I would eventually pick up a GoPro, but eventually I picked up a a HERO4 Black edition.

My laptop meets gopro OS requirements all the way through to RAM requirements. The one issue I can see is my purchasing of a "Lexar 64gb x300 microSD." It worked for about a month filming on default at 1080p, then "SD ERR" like it was going out of style. I formatted the SD, but there was no doubt that it was fried as it continued to show the error consistently. My laptop would not pick up the SD at all after this point.

Does anyone run minimum requirements with their GoPro HERO4? Also, what SD's do you all use for maximum output? Has anyone else had this issue before?

Trail Connoisseur
    I haven't had this exact problem but I have found that my Gopro hates it when I manage files or format the SD from my computer. If I format/manage it in the Gopro all is well. I'm not sure how you are doing it but if you haven't done it from the Gopro you might try that.

mtbr member
    Actually, if you are a Windows or Mac user do not use the internal mechanism for formatting your SD cards. Go to sdcard.org (the Official SD Standards Association) and download sdformatter (available as a native Windows and OSX app).

The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards.

built to thrash
    Apr 2015
    Hm, well I threw it away because it was very obvious that it was fried. Like I said, at 1080p it was reading "SDERR" every two minutes and the format function did jack. I will go ahead and check into sdcard.org though. What SD do you use with your GoPro and what do you usually set up on for rides? 1080p?

mtbr member
    Sandisk Ultra or Samsung EVO

built to thrash
    Apr 2015
    Sandisk Ultra seems to be a decent option. It comes in both 64 and 128GB. Which do you use Waldo? Also, what are you filming at? Max capacity? I certainly don't want to make the same mistake twice and just buy an SD that fries instantly.

mtbr member
    I film at 720p x 60fps rarely do I film at 1080, I use 64Gb cards since that seems to be the current sweet spot for pricing per Gb.

mtbr member
    Any possibility it was just a faulty SD card?
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

built to thrash
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Any possibility it was just a faulty SD card?
    There is always that possibility. I had purchased it from Wal-Mart, so that was probably my first mistake. I usually take things back, but I did not have the original packaging this time as it had worked for so long prior to frying.