GoPro Hero 8- Mtbr.com

Thread: GoPro Hero 8

eastman

GoPro Hero 8

Just received the new Hero 8 and have tried it on two rides - mtb and road. The preset video options seem to be working and recording fine so far. I have a bar and side helmet mount, but have only tried the bar mount so far. Would be great to hear/learn if anyone else is using this camera and what setups they're finding success with. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The Hero 8 Black is my first ever GoPro so I'm still getting used to it. I'm still doing tests to try and find the best settings to use. But in this video I'm using 4k/30 with superview, and hypersmooth can only be set to low in this mode. I'm using a chesty mount, and I'm still trying to find the perfect angle. Gonna go for a ride tomorrow and try some different settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNG4tIvHoc&t=1428s

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Chesty mount - upside down about 45 deg angle to start with. Then adjust to your liking from there. Superview/Hypersmooth On basically is Hero 7 Black Hypersmooth (still very good EIS so nothing really to be too upset over). Going wide will get you the High/Boost and I think High is the best bang for the buck if you like the FOV of the Wide.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Anyone had a chance to compare hero 8 to Max?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New question here.

4K Superview, 24fps. GoPro 8's Hypersmooth is 2.0, not the same as GP7. Boost is even smoother but crops out too much IMO. Here's a clip of a pretty rocky section of Slim Shady in Sedona that is a LOT rougher than the GP8 makes it look. The key is a good, tight chest mount like the Stuntman with thicker straps than GoPro's POS Chesty.
    Last edited by BmanInTheD; 12-01-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS (loaned out)
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I'll be making a video comparing the Hero 7 with the Hero 8. If there's anything you would like to see, just post it in the comments on Youtube and I'll try to film and upload it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I've had the 8 in-hand now for all of 20 minutes and already like it. Just the fact that I can get to the battery (and charging port right now) without having to screw with the cage makes it worth the price. (It doesn't hurt that it was only $299, which I think may be $50 less than I had paid for my Hero 7 Black last year.) It's always been enough of a pain in the ass to stop on trail and swap the battery, but the cage just added insult to injury in that department.

Some of the settings are a bit different but that's to be expected. Took all of five minutes to update the firmware and set the 'action' profile to the same settings I've used on the 7.

Can't wait to get it out on the trail and get some footage with it. It'll be replacing my 7 for everything it had been doing, while the 7 will likely finally get to see some different angles for b roll, like rear-facing, ride-by, or mounted to the bike to show the suspension working, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    The door to the battery compartment is a big plus. If you film on Superview all the time, then the 8 isn't better than the 7. It's only on Hypersmooth High that the 8 distiguishes itself from the 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    I've had the 8 in-hand now for all of 20 minutes and already like it. Just the fact that I can get to the battery (and charging port right now) without having to screw with the cage makes it worth the price. (It doesn't hurt that it was only $299, which I think may be $50 less than I had paid for my Hero 7 Black last year.) It's always been enough of a pain in the ass to stop on trail and swap the battery, but the cage just added insult to injury in that department.

Some of the settings are a bit different but that's to be expected. Took all of five minutes to update the firmware and set the 'action' profile to the same settings I've used on the 7.

Can't wait to get it out on the trail and get some footage with it. It'll be replacing my 7 for everything it had been doing, while the 7 will likely finally get to see some different angles for b roll, like rear-facing, ride-by, or mounted to the bike to show the suspension working, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post
    The door to the battery compartment is a big plus. If you film on Superview all the time, then the 8 isn't better than the 7. It's only on Hypersmooth High that the 8 distiguishes itself from the 7.
    Well right off the bat, the damn thumb screw on my actual rig ends up being in the way of the door. i can fix that by just flipping the mount, and letting the camera ride a little lower (cant put camera right side up since the angle on a chest rig would suck balls then. and possibly show mine.) Minor gripe. Guess i could also use the mount adapter that has the mini ball head swivel deal built in and just rotate that to put the thumb screw on the other side. Either way, still worth it. =)

as for field of view, im not really married to any single option there, and my hero 7 has been sitting on wide for as long as i can remember. Even with the cropping involved in the increasing stabilization levels, i think i kinda like the view it provides more than native wide (or superview even.)

Managed to get a short ride in after work today and picked the rockiest trail segments I could think of for the test. Despite my eyeballs rattling in my skull on these bits, im impressed as hell with how the 8 smoothed it out.

pardon the shit-tastic exposure. never really shot in the light just before sunset (not for video anyway) and was less concerned with quality than testing function and stabilization.

Did a little nerd-checking comparing files between the 7 and 8 as well.

The Hero 7 Black supposedly pumps out 78mbit file bitrates in 4k/protune. Maybe that's only in 60fps? All my 4k30 footage seems to be 60mbit on the hero 7. that said, a 4gb video from that camera has 8 minutes and 52 seconds worth of footage in it. hevc of course.

The hero 8, also 4k30 for my footage, hit the newly increased 100mbit output almost exactly (100.158mbit actually) and the sae 4GB of recorded footage has a runtime of 5 minutes and 20 seconds. hevc as well.

Just something for folks to consider if storage is an issue =) Thankfully, fast/quality 128GB cards are dirt cheap these days, as are computer hard drives and cloud storage.

I look forward to some more testing in lighting im more familiar with to see if that 66% bitrate increase pays off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I've done a little testing myself but in another direction as this was the first question that came up. I made a little soundcheck video and compared the sound of the Hero 8 with windmuffs on both microphones with the sound of my Rode Smartlav+. Both audio files are as recorded without post-processing. Spoiler: The Hero 8 still records windnoise, due to one of the microphones pointed forward. The 7 did a better job here.

In one of my next videos I'll show how the camera performs in low-light conditions with Hypersmooth 2.0, Hypersmooth 2.0 High and Hypersmooth 2.0 with a fixed aperture/Iso max @400.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    2nd test session with the 8. definitely much better when the lighting conditions are good (as one would expect from a gopro.)

4k, 30, flat, high bitrate, iso 100, no sharpening, and some jacked up manual white balance (forgot i had it set for indoor LED lighting before the ride, fixed it halfway through and set to 5500k.) used the same luts as i would on the h7b and tweaked a little.

chest mount, wide view, hypersmooth set to high.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It's conditions like that the GoPro is made for. When you got darker trails, you have to do a lot of tinkering to get the quality on a good level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    When you got darker trails, you have to do a lot of tinkering to get the quality on a good level.
    Nah, set the ISO to 800 max, center weight the exposure and you're good to go with great quality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by render ranger View Post
    Nah, set the ISO to 800 max, center weight the exposure and you're good to go with great quality.
    Try doing that without a gimbal. Different matter. I have done the testing and will publish a video soon proving my point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Try doing that without a gimbal. Different matter. I have done the testing and will publish a video soon proving my point.

I have no interest in doing that without a gimbal since I prefer, as you put it, "to get quality to a good level," whether shooting in darker conditions or day light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I have no interest in doing that without a gimbal since I prefer, as you put it, "to get quality to a good level," whether shooting in darker conditions or day light.
    As of now, there's no gimbal availabe that can take the Hero 8 so some insights on how to setup the Hero8 in low light conditions aren't too far fetched. I would recommend the shutter set to 1/120 with a rather low ISO at 4k/30Fps

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    As of now, there's no gimbal availabe that can take the Hero 8
    It seems that you're not familiar with the WG2X.

With its adjustable arm it easy to balance it to work with many camera configurations whether it's adding filters to 4/5/6/7 or the extra 10 grams of the 8.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It seems that you're not familiar with the WG2X.

With its adjustable arm it easy to balance it to work with many camera configurations whether it's adding filters to 4/5/6/7 or the extra 10 grams of the 8.
    It seems that you're not really familiar with the WG2X. I own one. The Hero 8 doesn't fit as it's larger than the 5,6,7.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hero 8 Hypersmooth 2.0 High is not better than Hero 7 Hypersmooth

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Low light performance:

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Mounting Options:

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Can the Hero8 battery be changed with gloves on? And will Hero6-7 batteries work in the 8?

Rabid Lana Fan
    My understanding is that the newer battery has a higher "c-rate" (a rating of how fast the battery can discharge). Some of the new features on the 8 require this higher c-rate.

The older batteries will fit and the camera will work, but you may lose some of the functionality of the newer features, like the ability to use the newer hypersmooth in the highest resolutions.

As far as the gloves question, depends on the gloves???

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido5 View Post
    Can the Hero8 battery be changed with gloves on? And will Hero6-7 batteries work in the 8?
    No. It still has this little strip attached to it and I sometimes have a hard time getting it out without a glove.

mtbr member
    I got one a few weeks ago and have been loving it so far.
    My only complaint is the on/off/select button is a little difficult to find with gloves on.
    I have also found I have to use a 5.2 volt - 2amp output usb charger. With a 5.2 volt - 1 amp it would stop charging at 86%.

I mostly use only 1080 for ease of handling footage afterwards, and so far have used it both on board and as a external view using linear mode with great results.

mtbr member
    It seems that you're not really familiar with the WG2X. I own one. The Hero 8 doesn't fit as it's larger than the 5,6,7.
    So as of a few weeks ago FeiyuTech has released a larger mounting plate for the WG2 that allegedly fits the Hero8.

I just ordered one. I have no idea why.

Hoping to have it next week, so I can... figure out why I need my Hero8 on my gimbal.

Maybe nightriding. Yeah, that's it.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Here's a little stability comparison that I put together - 8 Hypersmooth 2.0 vs. 7 (or 6/5) with a gimbal.

Last edited by render ranger; 1 Week Ago at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Has anyone found a windslayer type solution for the hero 8 yet?

It didnít look like GoPro makes one yet, so Iím curious what other people are doing to prevent wind noise.

Rabid Lana Fan
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    What amazing me about GoPro is that they have somehow managed to have SHORTER battery life with every successive product release. Nice work, engineers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    What amazing me about GoPro is that they have somehow managed to have SHORTER battery life with every successive product release. Nice work, engineers.
    What is amazing is that people can't understand that capturing more data and writing that data to the card uses more energy. It's also amazing that people can't understand that more sophisticated and more active EIS takes consumes extra computing cycles which uses more energy.

Oh well.