First ride using Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-axis gimbal - some questions and video..- Mtbr.com
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

First ride using Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-axis gimbal - some questions and video..

I got the Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-axis wearable gimbal last week and was able to test it biking for the first time yesterday evening. It was a stormy afternoon so I left it in the car and only went back out after the weather looked good (about a 1/2 before sunset) but I was able to get a taste of what the gimbal could do.

The results I got from the gimbal surpassed my expectations. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch a non gimbal video now. Here are my results:

A few things I noticed:
    1) I pointed the camera down slightly so it would pick up more of the trail but I am not sure this is necessary, even though the trail was about a 8% grade. I may have pointed it too much so using the level on my phone to set it at 7-8% down may be a trick.

2) The shock and sudden turns transmitted to the gimbal sometimes confuses it and it can get out of alignment but each time it manages to correct itself within a few seconds. In some cases it actually adds some dynamism to the video which I like as the result is still smooth.

3) The GoPro picks up weird wind noise with out the housing.

So, now I have my first true biking test, I have some questions for others that use gimbals.

1) Are there any tricks to protect it from dust/dirt/moisture?

2) Has anyone modified the holder so as to attach the GoPro casing to it so as to protect the camera?

3) Is there a way to block the wind noise without muffling overall sound?

4) How do you carry your gimbal in your pack when it is not mounted to protect it? I found a hard case where I can fit the gimbal, camera (mounted) and spare batteries and still have it fit in the external pocket of my Osprey pack. It works but is a bit bulky. I'm looking for better alternative options.

5) I'm attaching the gimbal to the Chesty mount using the GoPro mount in the center of the base (not at the end). Do you trust those two tiny screws to hold the gimbal and camera? Any problems with them? Also have you rigged up additional attachments for security that do not get in the way of the gimbal arms?

Lots of questions I know, but thanks!

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    1) Are there any tricks to protect it from dust/dirt/moisture?
    The brushless motors handle moisture and dust just fine. The Gopro is also fairly water resistant without the case.

2) Has anyone modified the holder so as to attach the GoPro casing to it so as to protect the camera?
    To protect the lens just use a lens cover/filter.

Given the fact that the Feiyu wearable uses relatively small motors that can struggle at times with just the weight of the GoPro, the additional weight of the case, if you could fit it, would only exacerbate the issue.

3) Is there a way to block the wind noise without muffling overall sound?

Audio-Technica Miniature Foam Windscreen AT8131 B&H Photo Video

Cut and tape over the mic.

4) How do you carry your gimbal in your pack when it is not mounted to protect it? I found a hard case where I can fit the gimbal, camera (mounted) and spare batteries and still have it fit in the external pocket of my Osprey pack. It works but is a bit bulky. I'm looking for better alternative options.
    I just stuff my gimbal into my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfForumsPast View Post
    The brushless motors handle moisture and dust just fine. The Gopro is also fairly water resistant without the case.
    Good to know.

To protect the lens just use a lens cover/filter.
    I have one already and used it for this "shoot".

Excellent! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Some tips from what I learned using the Feiyu Tech WG3:

1. WG3 is the one. Don't bother with single axis WG-MINI or two axis WG2, all 3 axes are needed to counter all the movement in a mountain bike.

2. Chest mount gives the best movies, starts with some passive stabilization (you riding on pedals on bumpy descents, large mass, etc.), great point of view (including the handle bar, your hands shifting, breaking, turning, fork up and down) and protection for the gimbal and camera when you eject off the bike like a rolled armadillo (I know - you never fall). Done helmet (make sure to make that pop-off mount fixed, or you'll see the gimbal passing you on a drop), handlebar (OK for smooth trails, but rocky descents are too much, even when the gimbal compensates for angle, the perspective changes make for a dizzy video), I like the chest best.

3. The Feiyu Tech WG3 battery lasts about 4hrs, but if you use the little cable to power the GoPro from it, it is gone in 15min. I made a 5V to 8.4V step up converter that I connect to a EasyAcc Monster USB power bank, gives me 8h of juice, no stops to change batteries anymore. I do have to stop once after 4h of 4k/30 video on a 128GB uSD card. The WG3 micro USB connector takes up to 9V and passes it to the same internal switcher as if it were the batteries (diodes to parallel them), so as long as it doesn't go below 6.5V or so, it can power the gimbal and the GoPro camera. I had to take 5V power from 2 USB outputs from the EasyAcc, as it was shutting down from a single (peaks over 2.4A trigger the protection), specially going down stairs with lots of gimbal fast torque activity. I also tried a 9V power bank (Amazon, XTPower MP-10000 External Battery Pack), which makes the custom made step up converter unnecessary, but preferred the EasyAcc Monster because it has other uses (charge cellphone, GPS etc on multiple day rides) and is the only one I found that recharges itself using two inputs, about 4A, twice as fast as the nearest competitor, and doesn't require me to carry a special charger. I use no battery in the gimbal and leave one battery in the camera (which gets recharged, no way around it).

4. When chest mounting, pay attention to the 45-degree-rule: the gimbal normally maintains the horizon no matter how you move, but points to where you are pointing, so basically two of its motors counter your movements, with fast tilt and roll reactions but smooth pans (in relation to a point in front of you). To accomplish this, two motors operate in one manner and the other in another. The problem is that when you change the gimbal base in orientation, say you go from horizontal base to a vertical base, it is a different motor that now has to be smooth and the one that was the smooth one is now a fast one. This is normally done at a 45 degree point, and transitions back and forth. I had all sort of problems with the gimbal losing the horizontal reference after a rock drop, sudden climbs, etc. until I realized that and placed it in my chest at an angle that would avoid the dreaded transition. Typically, make it vertical or horizontal at your body's normal riding position. You will likely need a little extender from the chest mount. I also use one Velcro elastic strap to hold the top of the chest plate firmly to my body.

5. The provided camera power cable is too long, best to wind it around the miniusb connector and use some RTV to make for a shorter one. I also cut the miniUSB portion of the gopro uSD cover for some protection against dust and moisture.

6. I leave the screws on the gimbal side, with a loose holder (not the standard, other way around), makes for faster removals. Best positioning of the camera is the one that brings the center of gravity closer to the gimbal axes - ideally with power off the camera would stay level all the time, so zero static forces needed to hold it that way. The youtube showing mounting of the gopro external enclosure violates too many of those principles - static and dynamic, your gimbal will be doing extreme extra efforts just to keep it level when you are stopped, and will be subject to much faster wear during riding, drops, rocks, etc., even when it can still counter all that extra mass accelerated off axis.

7. The overpriced GoPro protective lens is the way to go - too many reports of the cheapie chinese knockoffs gripping too hard to the lens and pulling them off. I had to Dremel a bit one section to allow the WG3 bracket to not interfere, but it is a great way to keep the GoPro lens clean, no sweat drops, no mud,no bugs, etc.

8. I cut some foam out of my Amazon Basics GoPro case to make a slide-on windscreen, worked great and was thin in front (that case has a thin harder foam on top), but after I moved to power the camera from the gimbal and power bank, I just used a small piece of foam held by a thin strip of (gasp) black duct tape. Cuts the wind effectively, still allows decent sound in. Don't press it too hard, the GoPro Hero 4 has some automatic gain in the microphone - if you muzzle it too much the gain will be hard and you will start hearing the wifi interference known to many.

9. For road and relatively flat rides, the standard 'mode 3' of the gimbal works fine, will keep the horizon just fine. For rides where you have higher grades (10% or more) descents or climbs, I like the 'mode 2' best. Basically, it makes not only the pan but also the tilt smooth, if you point it down it will slowly point down also, so you will be able to see how terrifying that rocky ravine really was, what your tires had to negotiate, instead of losing even the handlebars from the view. It requires mounting to the chest by the gopro mount on the small side, gimbal base horizontal, so use a tool to tighten the mount screws.

10. Now that you can do 8hr epic ride smooth videos, good luck finding anyone that wants to watch them! Two ideas - one is to ask for someone to bring them to the hospital you are recuperating from that fall off the cliff, the other is to get rid of dinner visitors that overstayed - "let's watch some mountain biking videos!".

Hopefully Feiyu Tech will come up with their own external battery (as they design it to take one) and a decent English manual explaining the 45-degree rule, the applications of the different modes, how to reset or invert mode 3 (just press it thrice again), etc. Amazing product at decent price. I hope GoPro doesn't buy them off and double the price, slow down development.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post
    Hopefully Feiyu Tech will come up with their own external battery (as they design it to take one) and a decent English manual explaining the 45-degree rule, the applications of the different modes, how to reset or invert mode 3 (just press it thrice again), etc.
    Zhiyun has already beaten Feiyu to the market with their Z1 V2.

• External controller and battery.
    • Larger motors
    • Smoother captures

Great information zecamera!

I recorded several rides over the weekend and the resulting footage was epic. Now it's to the editing stage. As you say, no one want to watch a 4 hour epic

mtbr member
    Zhiyun has already beaten Feiyu to the market with their Z1 V2.

• External controller and battery.
    • Larger motors
    • Smoother captures
    True, but the wired handle/controller/battery holder are a pain and cumbersome... I use it, great results but I just ordered a Feiyu to compare....
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    I have terabytes of video.... only a small portion makes it to YouTube.... I still really enjoy going back and looking through it.... or show some on the big screen TV at a dinner party :-)
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

I'm liking the WG3 gimbal the more I use it. In fact I can't imagine ever taking video without it again. It's kind of like when you realize how good a dropper post is when you have to ride a bike without one .

I now have a routine where I can store it in my pack and fairly quickly mount it to my chesty when I want to use it. I'm impressed with the battery life which is good for the times I forgot to take the spare set.

I was originally mounting the GoPro so that the lens was more centered between the mount and the motor so there was no chance of it fall off and getting lost but honestly that is a pain when I had to remove the camera as you have to fully unscrew the mount. I'm now mounting it to that the camera can slide into the mount. Though the lens is no longer centered on the tilt axis that does not seem to matter in the video stability.

One thing I see need to improve upon is the wind noise it is picking up. With the camera now mounted so it can slide in and out, the mic is now against the motor. I think I will place some windsock material between the motor and the camera to see if that still allows decent sound while cutting wind noise.

The only real negative I have on the gimbal is that I have been riding some fairly gnarly terrain with it recently and the smoothness of the video (without the violent shake you get with no gimbal) makes the trails actually look easy. They were not!

Check out my YouTube channel to view the latest stabilized videos. For example:

I'm happy to answer questions on the videos so comment away...

Quote Originally Posted by spurious View Post
    Also, probably not the best video from a trail sharing standpoint as you don't yield to numerous hikers...
    Those I left in the video were off trail and had already stopped walking before I encountered them so stopping would not have accomplished anything (I did slow down). That one guy, well I was in a series of 1 foot drops (it was a bad spot) and though I slowed it was safer to continue than try to stop on the terrain - we both had plenty of room - it was just steep. Those that I yielded to are on the cutting room floor (so to speak). I have plenty of video (not published) of me ringing bells and slowly passing when we are traveling in the same directions, or of me stopping when traveling in opposing directions.

Quote Originally Posted by spurious View Post
    the smaller motors and/or the correction algorithm is definitely inferior to the Rider V2 gimbal as it introduces much more motion into the video
    That may be so, but this trail is a lot steeper than it looks and has numerous drops in the 1+ ft range and many 6-8" "kickers" that add a lot of vertical motion to the ride. Taking into account the moderately high speed (15-24 mph) and that no 3-axis gimbals really handles up/down motion well, I think it did splendidly.

^^ well the video quality is better at least, though that is YouTube making my vid look like ****e even though I pushed it at their recommendations for 1080p60.

I agree it looks very smooth, and may be better, but it is not a comparible example. They're riding fairly slow which gives the gimbal more time to adjust that when you hit square edge rocks at 15-20 mph.

Can you use the weather protection housing with the R1 V2?

I'm not looking to get into a pissing match here. Based on your rep you're obviously a troll.

My YouTube comments are simple based on my source that was uploaded being significantly nicer to watch than what YouTube streams back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm getting ready to order the gimbal to record my rides. I've watched plenty of review videos on the FeiyuTech and others and like the size and direct mount capability regardless of what some others might say. Also, not looking for any argument or anything like that.

Do you have or could you possibly post a picture or how you have it mounted on the GoPro chest harness? And have you experimented with it in any other mounting locations?

Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post

Do you have or could you possibly post a picture or how you have it mounted on the GoPro chest harness? And have you experimented with it in any other mounting locations?
    Sure no problem. I have not tried any locations other than the chesty for now.

I do not have photos wearing it but here are a few with me holding it in the chesty mount.

I set it so that the pan motor is below the camera. I also mount using the GoPro adapter in the middle of the battery pack. Not on the end.

In this set up I run the gimbal in reversed mode. It works well when leaning over on the bike as the pan motor will be below and behind the camera.

You may not see it but I actually have some windsock material between the camera mic and the tilt motor to minimize wind noise. I haven't tried this in the real world yet though so I'm not sure if it works. Next time I ride outside I'll report back.

I also mount the camera with the lens out. I ended up this way as it was a pain to remove with the lens inboard. I'm also happy, after several runs now, that properly tightened the camera should not fall out it it does not seem to appreciatively affect the picture quality with the lens off the yaw axis.

Hope this helps.

Oh I also use a GoPro lens protector. That's very important!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Good videos, the gimbal makes them awesome. I get a feel for how difficult those trails are, your handlebars bouncing sure gives light to that. I also kinda like the couple times you dropped far, hit kinda hard, and the gimbal got knocked out of whack off to the side. Adds another element to it, demonstrates more impact.

How did you get the speedometer on the video? Does it match up with your riding exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    How did you get the speedometer on the video? Does it match up with your riding exactly?
    I use Garmin VIRB Edit software to marry the Garmin 800 .FIT data up to the GoPro video. There are a number of YouTube instructional videos on how to do this. I found that with my speed sensors they sometimes lag (like up to a second) behind what the bike is actually doing, so though I can marry the data exactly on the GPS data to the video, sometimes I tweak it so that the speed data more closely follows what you see on screen.

In the VIRB software I take the various GoPro files (as long recordings will get cut up into multiple files) and combine them back into one. I link up the .FIT data and align each file - you have to do each one separately. I choose my overlays to put on the video. There are a number of overlay options and you can customize them as well. I then export the video at max bitrate (~36mbps) and import that to iMovie for editing. That finished project is outputted to file at 12mbps (Google's recommendations for 1080p60) and then I upload it to YouTube. Meanwhile - YouTube then butchers the quality even further. That part I haven't figured out yet to improve....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just pulled the trigger on this, should be here Thursday. Can't wait to get it on the trails and see what it can do!!

I have been trying various methods with this. I had the foam between the camera mic and the gimbal motor and that did not cut the wind noise. This last weekend I tried with the mic on the outside of the camera with the foam taped. That method just did not work. It destroyed the sound, cutting the sound I wanted to hear and instead ramping gain so I mostly got was electronic camera noise.

I've since given up with the foam taped over mic approach. I have now ordered an external Movo Lavalier mic with a windsock. I'll try this out for my next ride.

I've since given up with the foam taped over mic approach. I have now ordered an external Movo Lavalier mic with a windsock. I'll try this out for my next ride.
    I rode with the external mic last Monday and reviewed the footage last night. The sound is fantastic, though the weight of the external mic cable threw off the balance of the GoPro in the gimbal. While the video is mostly stabilized (I'll edit this post and link to it when it goes live) I notice more jitters in the video. I also went through two sets of batteries in the FY-WG3 in a three hour ride so the gimbal was obviously working hard to keep the camera stable, but it does not look as good as without the external mic cables. I'll give the FY-WG3 the benefit of doubt though as I was riding one of the most technical, roughest trails in the Front Range (you'll see when I post) so I think any gimbal would have a hard time..

Anyway, the external mic is not really the solution with the gimbal. Great if on a regular fix mount though. The new solution I'm going to try is this:Micover Stickover Mini Universal Windscreen. I've ordered one and will post up how it works in when I get to use it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I rode with the external mic last Monday and reviewed the footage last night. The sound is fantastic, though the weight of the external mic cable threw off the balance of the GoPro in the gimbal. While the video is mostly stabilized (I'll edit this post and link to it when it goes live) I notice more jitters in the video. I also went through two sets of batteries in the FY-WG3 in a three hour ride so the gimbal was obviously working hard to keep the camera stable, but it does not look as good as without the external mic cables. I'll give the FY-WG3 the benefit of doubt though as I was riding one of the most technical, roughest trails in the Front Range (you'll see when I post) so I think any gimbal would have a hard time..

Anyway, the external mic is not really the solution with the gimbal. Great if on a regular fix mount though. The new solution I'm going to try is this:Micover Stickover Mini Universal Windscreen. I've ordered one and will post up how it works in when I get to use it.
    Did you have the mic attached to the camera? I would think you could attached the mic to another part of the gimbal or even your backpack or chest mount that isn't stabilized by the gimbal. It will still have the weight of the cable, but it's sure less than the whole mic. Then again, most of the weight is probably that adapter you have to use.

Or just get a Hero 5 or a Garmin Virb Ultra 30

First ride using Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-axis gimbal - some questions and video..

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Did you have the mic attached to the camera? I would think you could attached the mic to another part of the gimbal or even your backpack or chest mount that isn't stabilized by the gimbal. It will still have the weight of the cable, but it's sure less than the whole mic. Then again, most of the weight is probably that adapter you have to use.

Or just get a Hero 5 or a Garmin Virb Ultra 30
    Yes a Hero 5 would be nice. No money in my budget though . I'll be sticking with the 3+.

With the external mic I had the mic clipped onto my backpack so it was near to me to speak into. The issue is the weight of the adapter. I tried to minimize it by looping it back to the gimbal mount to hold the bulk of the weight but it is still in a really bad position that throws off the balance.

I have the new mic cover but won't be able to try it until next weekend as family in town and business travels will squash any biking for the upcoming week

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hey guys

Just wondering about the Feiyu Tech WG gimbal i just bought. Mine makes a very faint humming/buzzing sound when it is turned on and is stationary. I dont remember it doing that a day ago. But it could be that I just did not notice it. Anybody else hear this with their gimbal. again its pretty faint. Thanks for any reponse in advance!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    It's pretty normal. Motors are active at all times. You normally won't here it unless your somewhere that's dead silent.

If it's rather noticeable, just run through a calibration.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    It's pretty normal. Motors are active at all times. You normally won't here it unless your somewhere that's dead silent.

If it's rather noticeable, just run through a calibration.

Okay thats what i figured, Thanks a lot for replying!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    What about the Removu S1, anyone tried that one out?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    That literally just came out in the last couple months. Looks like the karma but without the bad design mistakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have been researching action cams and gimbals for a while and reading this thread i just realized something. Pov videos are extremly meh. I wonder how you guys spice up your video footage? The videos posted in this thread i only lasted few seconds before i turned it off. Its just so boring. Do you guys ever rewatch your own pov videos? I think you need another rider in front of you to keep it a bit interesting, otherwise i wouldnt do sections over couple seconds long. Or change to helmet mount, rear view, just something different. The best osnes i have seen dont have pov footage at all. Looks like a loot of work but its well worth it in the end.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    POV is boring to a point but those of us that do it are to share the experience. Which can't be had outside of POV.

Gimbals are restricted really to chest mount. Really unstable elseware due to the weight.

Other positions are cool to watch, but when your out to have fun it's hard to want to stop and move your camera. I know I prefer to set and go. One thing I love about the hero 5, VOICE COMMAND! Can simply tell it to start and stop recording to try and avoid extra, overly boring footage.

Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    Do you guys ever rewatch your own pov videos? I think you need another rider in front of you to keep it a bit interesting .... The best osnes i have seen dont have pov footage at all. Looks like a loot of work but its well worth it in the end.
    Yep, I watch mine when I'm bored. Another rider helps.

As for POV it depends what you are trying to do. Are you trying to tell a story, just show a rad edit for some stoke, or to educate?

Unless you are trying to tell a story or create a rad edit and you have all day to go ride the same section of trail over and over again, preferably with someone else doing camera duties, it is just not practical for most people. Most of the time the chesty cam is the best you can hope for as it is one ride, one take.

I agree though, most chesty POVs are dire. Gimbals have raised the bar though. Editing the POV helps and talking, giving commentary helps as well.

For my videos I aim to educate. The purpose is not to show a rad edit but what the trail is like. I try to keep it interesting with anecdotal commentary on the trail and the location while riding and try to keep the trail guide to less than 10 minutes. I know most people only watch for around 2-3 minutes but trying to distill a 2+ hour ride report to 2 minutes is near impossible.

I got into doing this for fun but also because when I would venture to new trails I would seek out ride reports/videos to give me an idea on what to expect. Most videos (if I could find any) were dire so I would create my own to share for others. It's not everyone's cup of tea but many find it useful.

Some have even made a living out of it. Check out BKXC on YouTube. He does nothing but POV and some reviews and has managed to quit his job and just do YouTube for a living, so many people dig POV.

Of course you may not like that and would prefer something professionally produced my RedBull.

mtbr member
    I'm surprised nobody has posted these stickies for the mic/wind sound. It pretty much completely removes it and doesn't make the audio muffled. I don't even take it off my GoPro when I have it in the naked case and the audio is still good. Can't recommend this more:

http://amzn.to/2kvqtsd

</robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

^^^ Yep, that's what I use these days. I kind of mentioned it in post 20.

mtbr member
    I think he mentioned before he has another YouTube business. But I agree with the above poster. He is probably getting a bunch of gear for free and some kickbacks like that. I would imagine it's not super lucrative yet. You can click on his Patreon and see how much he is getting there. That's probably the most bang for the buck he is getting.

I must admit I wondered how it was doing it. Based on my YT income per views (though I know it's more based on engagement rather than views) I extrapolated and I just could not see how he would make a living. It was probably a 10th of what I would need as a minimum....

If he makes it work then all props for him.