Added external battery to GoPro/Chesty setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Added external battery to GoPro/Chesty setup

Ulzani (Amazon) makes a door for the GoPro with a hole for the power cord so you can have the side door shut and still plug in the power cord. I used an Anker Slim 5000 external battery pack (tube shaped) and mounted it to my Chesty mount using the cloth sleeve that came with it and some zip ties.

I did a 4 hour race/ride this past weekend and was able to leave the camera on the entire time without losing power. Very pleased with this setup. Some people don't like the Chesty mount but I feel the video is far superior to the helmet or handlebar view, and I barely notice it on my shoulders and chest. In the past I've used the feature where the camera is off and you hit the record button which turns the camera on and starts recording...but I've found that in colder weather a battery will only last 30 minutes.

The remaining limitation that I have is my editing skills. So when I ride I basically record 3-5 minutes at a time. If my videos are much longer than 5 minutes I start having issues uploading them. It just complicates everything (for me). After my 4 hour ride I had almost an hour and a half of video which is plenty for me.

I like to put videos up for family, friends, and co-riders that are less than 20 minutes. I'm just using the Kinemaster app on my iPhone which is damn easy and actually makes good videos. If I wanted to record an entire 2 hour race I could do that with this new setup, but would have to try a new editing software. I have a brand new Dell laptop and an older Macbook Air that is still going strong and neither seem to be as powerful as my iPhone 11. (open to suggestions here but definitely not buying a new computer just for this hobby)

Lastly, I've started recording in 2700 instead of 4k for three reasons....First, if its a warm day the camera will overheat and shutoff using 4k. That's reason enough to not record in 4k because that gets old quick. Second, the memory card holds more video at 2700 which is important if you're doing a long event and don't want to change cards mid-way. Third, the video editing process becomes much more complicated when the files get larger and larger and that's a limitation for me.

Hope these tips might help a new GoPro user and if anyone has suggestions for me I'd love to hear them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHutch View Post
    Ulzani (Amazon) makes a door for the GoPro with a hole for the power cord so you can have the side door shut and still plug in the power cord.
    I've actually been using this thing to allow external power to the camera for all-night star timelapses over the summer. I did had a few strange freeze-ups that seemed to be resolved by taking the battery completely out of the Gopro.

Of course, it's not waterproof, but you could probably mostly seal it with putty or something.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Of course, it's not waterproof, but you could probably mostly seal it with putty or something.
    Yeah Iíll probably try electrical tape or something that would provide extra protection in the event that Iím doing a race in the rain.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Electrical tape might leave a residue mess. How about play-doh?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here