mtbr member

Action Cameras, Videos, video editing

So everyone has some sort of action camera, but the vast majority of people use them very rarely or not at all. I did not post this in the Video forum because that is full of people that use them, are enthusiastic about them or are otherwise more interested. I am interested in people who bought them but don't use them.

What is the biggest reason why?
    • the quality of the video?
    • plain point of view video doesn't really capture the feel of the ride?
    • editing out the unwatchable shaky parts takes too much time?
    • Rides are routine, so why bother?

Would you be interested in someone editing your raw stuff for you? You send some SD cards of your trip, your ride, whatever and someone cuts it down to the best bits for a short highlight reel? My brother-in-law is a wiz at video editing. I was thinking it might be a side business for him, but really can't say if there is interest. I like playing around with the editing software, so I wouldn't use a service like that. But maybe others would.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post

• plain point of view video doesn't really capture the feel of the ride?
    This is a part of it. When I do video now I take a couple GorillaPods with me and do it third person. This unfortunately takes a boatload of time and prevents you from actually riding the trails.

• editing out the unwatchable shaky parts takes too much time?
    Yeah, editing PoV footage takes forever. I've got two years of footage from 13-15 that I haven't looked through. This is also why third person is better. You set it up in a location that is interesting or likely to cause a crash so you know if the camera is on you've got something interesting. PoV could be hours of video with little of interest.

• Rides are routine, so why bother?
    My "routine" rides are still on trails that can easily cause harm. If it doesn't involve a little risk it ain't worth riding.

Would you be interested in someone editing your raw stuff for you?
    No. I for one would pick the pieces that I find interesting which may be different than what someone else finds interesting. With that said my wife used to scrapbook pages for other people that can't or didn't want to do it. There's a market for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Most of the time the videos are pretty shaky so that's probably one of the biggest factors for myself. That said I just bought a gimbal so maybe I'll use my cam more often. As for setting up a camera for a cool perspective, that takes time to set up so while you ride up and get set up, people are wanting to ride. After a cool trip and you have a lot of video footage you get the tedious task of video editing. Not hard, just time consuming. So I guess it's an accumulation of a lot of factors.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    As for setting up a camera for a cool perspective, that takes time to set up so while you ride up and get set up, people are wanting to ride.
    Precisely why I only do it riding alone. I just did this for a descent that should take maybe 5 minutes to get down. I think it took me over an hour.

The exception would be an obstacle that everyone likes to ride or session. I'll set up on the Waterfall on National and we'll ride it for an hour...

Rides all the bikes!
    Everybody has a camera. I'm not going to edit/upload unless there is something special about it.

I record my races and give the footage to a friend who edits it in with his race footage. It makes his video better having two angles. So nothing special about my video becomes special on his (I'm completely fine with him getting the positive attention too).

I run a camera on occasion on my local trails and put them up in short segments so people can find the good segments if they don't know the place (spiderweb like trail network). Or I record my friends so they can see their own riding.

trail gnome
    Shooting and editing good video is hard. Really hard. There is a steep learning curve and you need to invest a lot of time. People don't realize this going into it.

People are seduced by the slick GoPro promo videos and they go out and buy an action cam.

They then proceed to film 1.5 hours of shaky video of a single POV under less than ideal lighting conditions of a backyard trail that's not terribly exciting.

They download some free software and install it on an under powered PC. They struggle for hours with the software, as it slowly chugs along and occasionally crashes.

If they actually manage to render a video successfully, they upload it to YouTube only to be disappointed by how shaky, dark, blurry, and pixelated it looks.

Most give up after that.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My wife bought me a go-pro for x-mas a few years back. I think I've taken about 10 min worth of video with it. It just seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'm not really a big picture guy though. There is one guy in our local club who very frequently has his camera/gimbal on. He seems to enjoy the whole process of taking/editing video.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Using an action camera is an investment in time and energy. Lot of practice to find out what works and what does not. I have 6 action cameras, my phone, and a point and shoot that either some or all of them go into making my videos which range from small videos to full length movies.

I love having video memories of my vacations to awesome places - the action cameras give me that ability to relive my excitement from the trip.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Cycologist
    So everyone has some sort of action camera, but the vast majority of people use them very rarely or not at all. I did not post this in the Video forum because that is full of people that use them, are enthusiastic about them or are otherwise more interested. I am interested in people who bought them but don't use them.

[*]plain point of view video doesn't really capture the feel of the ride?
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about getting such a camera, but I feel I am not going to have the time and processing power to edit it. Even after all that, who's going to watch it? Seems like a waste of my time.

I have filmed myself with my phone and a mini Gorillapod riding the most interesting aspects of my local trails. I cobbled together a video out of it. It took me all day and I came away with less than two minutes of interesting footage. It was fun but not something I want to do often enough to buy a separate camera for it.

I actually entered this subforum today to research inexpensive POV cameras, and this thread reminds me why I never bought one.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Video editing of mountain biking is not everyone's cup of tea - it does require a lot of time to shoot and edit. And everyone has very varying tastes as to what is interesting and what is not - you cannot go into it to please everyone but have fun and be creative - learn new techniques and such.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    I enjoy editing the video, but I don't have as much time as I'd like. It is a good "bad weather, trails closed" type of activity... Kind of like being on forums. But my Brother in Law makes cool movies. He really has an eye for that kind of thing.

No Clue Crew
    Depending on HOW you capture the movies it becomes easier. If you strap a GoPro to your chest and ride for four hours you have four hours of footage to watch for anything exciting happening.

If, however, you take the time to set a GoPro, or even two or four, up on a Gorillapod and capture footage of you riding by or hitting a drop you'll have MUCH less video to search through to find the interesting stuff. If the GoPro is on it's capturing something that you wanted to capture. WAAAAAAAY easier.

mtbr member
    I like doing third person too. It captures the landscape better. Chest mount flattens the terrain and helmet mounts flatten it more. Well, after I posted this thread an ad for Rylo came across my Facebook feed. Then an article about it showed up on Singletracks.com. It looks like it solves a lot of the gripes. I was thinking about a gimbal but now I am thinking about a Rylo