mtbr member

Weekend trips as well as week or more vacations in Vermont as well as Maine

Hi everyone, CT resident here that knows next to nothing about Maine as well as Vermont.

My fiance talks about Vermont over and over again as well as a few other places. We do have a pipe dream of buying some land and having a trailer or a small house on it for weekend getaways and/or vacations.

But due to our present financial obligations that will have to wait for now.

In the meantime we are looking for suggestions where we can go (prefer not hotels but we would be willing to do that) for weekends as well as week vacations specifically for biking, kayaking, seeing the sites, riding around town and so on.

Also, we would really like to be able to bring the dogs.

Any places that are good, you think of, and so on please share.

mtbr member
    There are so many options for easy/cheap recreation filled vacations in New England. A lot of places you will be able to find camp sites, though sometimes this border on cheap hotel price.

Vermont: Kingdom Trails is a favorite among most folks, camping in East Burke. I would highly recommend the VT MTB Fest this year, you can camp there, it will be in Waitsfield. Stowe and the surrounding area are a classic and again camping is easy to find.

Maine: I have a special place in my heart for the midcoast. The NEMBA chapter up there is doing a lot, Camden is a classic coastal town. I would suggest going up to Acadia, no MTB, but gravel grind and see the sights. Kayaking abounds on the Maine coast. Carrabassett Valley is blowing up, go ride in the Maine Western Mountains.

Massachusetts: I would have never thought of this had I not lived there for three years, cape cod. The riding is great and there is plenty. Stay at Nickerson State Park and ride around there. Hit the two other gems, TOT and Otis, on day trips. You've got the beach, quaint New England, and kayaking. I would suggest not going during the depth of summer, fall (even October) is still great weather and less people.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    The camping is an option but not sure how she will take to it so we will see. I know she would prefer an actual roof over her head, not material.

But again I will run it by her. Thanks for the suggestions and when I can will look at them in depth but right now at work.

Anymore suggestions please post them.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Ah thought you were out to say money. By all means all of these places have rental houses, B&Bs, and hotels.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Oh we are, but I also know her. But she might be into it. We will see. Do those places listed normally take dogs?