mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Vermont riding questions.

Hi- I know it's a ways off but I'm starting to plan a riding trip to Vermont for next summer and have some questions.
    For starters I'm 50 yrs old, consider myself an advanced rider skill-wise and an intermediate fitness wise. Most of my rides here in Western NY last 1.5- 3 hours. I will be making the trip with my lady, but she does not ride.

QUESTIONS:

1- How many days would it make sense to ride at Killington? I'm planning 2 days, riding about 4-5 hours each day.
    2- Is there any good XC riding near Killington to supplement the lift riding?

3- Is 3 days of riding adequate for Kingdom Trails, riding 3-4 hours each day?(Plan on skipping most green trails)
    4- Is there a lot of climbing at Kingdom trails? Any long climbs or long DHs?
    5- Is there a good likelihood that I'll be able to find others to ride with at Kingdom Trails? Are there organized group rides?
    6- Is there any chance of finding shuttles at Kingdom Trails or are the trails arranged in a way that I'll be able to climb via
    roads and then enter the trails to ride them mostly DH?

Also- is it worth making the trip up to Kingdom Trails or should I consider just riding Killington DH and XC trails in
    that area?

Lastly- please feel free to suggest other good riding spots in VT for me.

Thanks in advance! - Chris

mtbr member
    May 2010
    2 days is good for killington DH. You may only need one, but so much is worth repeating. Look up Pine Hill Park in Rutland and Green Mountain Trails in Pittsfield both of which are within 20 mins of killington and are worth riding for sure. Between the three you can easily do 3-4 days.

For KT 3-4 days is enough. You can do about 3 4-hour days without riding anything twice.

Whether to skip KT? I dunno, I love Killington area riding and could easily spend a week there. In fact I have. But KT has great stuff too.

mtbr member
    KT has the the advantage of being a MBT community. It is obvious when you pull into town. The village is bustling with MTBs all around the bike shop(East Burke Sports), Mike's Tiki bar and the KT office. You can ride trails right out of town to reach the Darling hill XC side or the Mountain side(with some short road sections). The mountain has some great XC but also lift service on the weekends. I think you can also arrange a shuttle to get to the top most days in the summer. A lot of the overnight accommodations are ride-in/ride-out. Not sure if Killington has the same feel.

The climbing average is about 100' per mile. Not flat but also not something that will kill most riders in decent shape. Don't worry about skipping greens. A lot of them are access routes to some of the best trails there.

If you arrive in the evening then you go to the Tiki bar and you will easily make friends and probably be able to arrange to join a group the next day.

trail magician
    What kind of trails do you like to ride? If you're coming from the West, you might pass by a lot of stuff you'll regret driving by.
    Last edited by GreenMtnRider; 11-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    3 days at KT seems way overkill to me. If you come to VT often it would be fine, but if this is an occasional trip you need to also get after Millstone in Barre, Northfield, GMT in Pittsfield, Stowe, Waterbury and Hinesburg/Richmond. KT is fun, but it is by no means the only good riding in northern VT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnRider View Post
    What kind of trails do you like to ride? If you're coming from the West, you might pass by a lot of stuff you'll regret driving by.
    I'm in Western NY by Rochester. We have great trails here but they are generally 5 miinutes up- 1 minute down, repeat over and over. I'm hoping to ride stuff in VT with more sustained downhills even if it involves more climbing or shuttling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here's my perfect VT MTB adventure (not only centered around trails, but beer too). I also travel with my non riding wife and dog.

Ascutney (1 day)
    Killington (1 day)
    GMT (1 day, and during a transition day while heading north)
    Waitsfield (1-2 days - great place for non riding partners to enjoy)
    Waterbury/Stowe/Hinesburg (2-3 days - Stowe and Waterbury are good locations for non riding partners)
    Burlington (1-2 days - rest days - eat, drink, be merry)
    Kingdom Trails (2 days MAX)

Then the long drive home: happy, tired and with a boatload of beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So you guys are giving me things to think about. I watched all the POV K-T utube videos that I could find and honestly, there only seem to be 7-8 "black diamond" trails that really stand out. It would appear that the main draw of the area is that there's 100 miles of trail basically at your back door. Where I live in WNY there are that many miles of trail but say within an hour. Travelling an hour to hit good trails is no big deal to me.

For this trip we really don't want to jump around lodging-wise. We are hoping to rent a place say for 6 days and do all of our activities(including non-mtb things) out of that location. Right now I'm leaning towards staying in the Killington area as it seems to be centrally located in VT, enjoying a few days of lift access riding and finding some xc riding say within a 60 minute drive from there. We also want to find non-mtb things to do- OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.
    Last edited by dragbike; 11-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You really should go to KT. It is a hobby on this board to trash it, but there is a reason why everyone goes there.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Depends what you are looking for. If you want challenging tech, KT is going to disappoint. It is mostly fast flow. It's really good, probably the best fast flow in New England, but it is not very technically challenging and very little of it can really be rated higher than intermediate level.

If you're into beer/spirits look up breweries and distilleries in VT. There are dozens around Killington, including long trail, Foley Bros, otter creek, etc.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    So you guys are giving me things to think about. I watched all the POV K-T utube videos that I could find and honestly, there only seem to be 7-8 "black diamond" trails that really stand out. It would appear that the main draw of the area is that there's 100 miles of trail basically at your back door. Where I live in WNY there are that many miles of trail but say within an hour. Travelling an hour to hit good trails is no big deal to me.

For this trip we really don't want to jump around lodging-wise. We are hoping to rent a place say for 6 days and do all of our activities(including non-mtb things) out of that location. Right now I'm leaning towards staying in the Killington area as it seems to be centrally located in VT, enjoying a few days of lift access riding and finding some xc riding say within a 60 minute drive from there. We also want to find non-mtb things to do- OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

Killington for lift assist has plenty of trails doable for a skilled rider on a trail bike. So, with the lift you can do longer days of riding and get your money's worth from the driving/trip.

I found KT a bit too buffed and non-challenging.

Waterbury was techy and challenging. My favorite VT single track.

On your way driving over think about stopping to ride near Whiteface, Wilmington NY area. Should be on your way. Good stuff.

Since I've been to Quebec to ride the Shannihan/Neilson trails I only venture to VT hit Killington for the DH now and then (usually DH Whiteface NY).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Depends what you are looking for. If you want challenging tech, KT is going to disappoint. It is mostly fast flow. It's really good, probably the best fast flow in New England, but it is not very technically challenging and very little of it can really be rated higher than intermediate level.

If you're into beer/spirits look up breweries and distilleries in VT. There are dozens around Killington, including long trail, Foley Bros, otter creek, etc.
    Top of burke mt has some tech, as well as dead moose and upper moose alley. I think if you have not been to KT it worth at least 2 days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    some xc riding say within a 60 minute drive from there.
    Ascutney Trails is 40 minutes away and its 30 miles of MTB trails probably provides the most options/variety in one spot outside of KT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Seems to me that Stowe would really be your best bet in regards to not wanting to switch-up your lodging. Stowe will have your non-riding partner occupied with hiking, bike path (with brewery stop at Idletime), mini-golf, shopping, spas, (7) breweries, etc...

Regarding rides:
    1. Waterbury / Perry Hill will keep you busy for a day with some trails that demand a bit of respect. They will give you that climb for a bit with some sustained DH. Prohibition pig restaurant / brewery for the win here after riding food/drinks.
    2. I have to give some props to Sugarbush for lift-served - fun/newer trails for at day of fun that will keep you on your toes. Not sure on drive time from Stowe though.
    3. Cady Hill / Stowe - depending on what info you gather you can put together a really good ride here that incorporates a brewery (Trapp) halfway through the ride. Good mix of trails here, not overly tech but keep you honest.
    4. Hinesburgh trails are worth driving to - pretty sure there's a new brewery there too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Looking for one place as home base, Stowe probably is a good bet, especially since you say that you are willing to drive an hour or so for some of your rides. That puts Burke in range as well as pretty much everything North of Killington.

mtbr member

To be honest Killington is pretty dead in the summer. The park is supposed to be pretty sweet but not much else going on. Stowe would be a better option for staying and making day trips. More restaurants and swimming holes and more central to the other spots your looking to visit. Plus solid riding right in town.

I lean towards the Pro-KT side of things. I have a place up there and would have no problem riding for many days in a row. I am more of a tech guy myself but they make some damn' good trails. If you can work out shuttles on the mountain side you won't be disappointed. Extremely fun and very challenging when wet. There is also Victory which is about 30 mins away and has several "Enduro-style" trails that can easily fill up a day or 2. The park is pretty sweet but more of a half day type of thing right now, unless you get the shuttles flowing.

Lastly, if you can make the extra effort and hit up Quebec I highly recommend it. Very impressed with what is going on up there.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    To be honest Killington is pretty dead in the summer. The park is supposed to be pretty sweet but not much else going on.
    That used to be the case but has changed in the last few years. Now most of the restaurants that were open only during the winter are now open year-round thanks to the improvements in the bike park and other summer activities. It's really become quite a summer destination.

mtbr member
    I would recommend the Waitsfield area if you are looking for a base camp to venture out from. Mad River Valley has a great network of trails with family friendly riding at Blueberry Lake and more technical stuff in the rest of the area as well as the Lift Access up on Sugarbush. You are also an hour drive of the top trails in the area (Perry Hill, GMT, Millstone, Cady Hill etc). In addition the Mad River Valley has some great spots for food and summer activities (swimming holes, zip lining, hiking, disc golf, etc). KT will be a bit longer of a drive but would be worth a day trip as well if you've never been before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WATERBOOY View Post
    I would recommend the Waitsfield area if you are looking for a base camp to venture out from. Mad River Valley has a great network of trails with family friendly riding at Blueberry Lake and more technical stuff in the rest of the area as well as the Lift Access up on Sugarbush. You are also an hour drive of the top trails in the area (Perry Hill, GMT, Millstone, Cady Hill etc). In addition the Mad River Valley has some great spots for food and summer activities (swimming holes, zip lining, hiking, disc golf, etc). KT will be a bit longer of a drive but would be worth a day trip as well if you've never been before.
    I agree with this. Stowe is a scene. Not really VT. Waitsfield is a bit much as well but it hides it better.

KT is worth a day. Then it is redundant. My son rode the double black diamonds at 6.years old so you have to realize that difficulty scale is skewed towards very casual riders. Heard victory is good by some trusted partners. Waterbury is good but pretty hammered these days. Richmond trails are getting a lot of praise, and if you re looking for the real gems it s places like that, rochester, millstone, stab, pittsfield. Staying in waitsfield puts you within striking distance of better stuff than being in killington. I d even venture out to some more obscure areas like montgomery then make an effort to hit the McKingdom Trails. Less used trails will offer more local flavor then boring riding with a nice view every now and again like kt or even most of the mapped Stowe stuff these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Guys, thanks for all the valuable info. What I'm learning here and on youtube is that pretty much anywhere in VT is gonna be fun. I have time to figure it out but right now I'm leaning towards 3 days in Killington, riding lifts 2 days and a day at GMT in pittsfield. Then, heading over to Lake Placid NY for 2 or 3 days. I love that area and rode there 10 years ago. Have always wanted to get back.

I think I'm gonna skip Kingdom Trails. This past summer my older son and I went to a similar place-Raystown, PA for 3 days of riding but ended up leaving after 2. It was fun and all with 40 miles of trails but honestly, every trail was pretty much like the last. 40 miles of pump track. Don't get me wrong, it was fun but after a couple days -we had had enough.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Guys, thanks for all the valuable info. What I'm learning here and on youtube is that pretty much anywhere in VT is gonna be fun. I have time to figure it out but right now I'm leaning towards 3 days in Killington, riding lifts 2 days and a day at GMT in pittsfield. Then, heading over to Lake Placid NY for 2 or 3 days. I love that area and rode there 10 years ago. Have always wanted to get back.

I think I'm gonna skip Kingdom Trails. This past summer my older son and I went to a similar place-Raystown, PA for 3 days of riding but ended up leaving after 2. It was fun and all with 40 miles of trails but honestly, every trail was pretty much like the last. 40 miles of pump track. Don't get me wrong, it was fun but after a couple days -we had had enough.

Happy trails!
    If you're in the Killington Area already and have time I would also check out Pine Hill Park. It isn't a ton of mileage but there a number of unique bridges and trails. Not a destination network but its fun for a quick ride.