Vermont Mountain Bike Festival- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival

For the third year we are hosting the Vermont Mountain Bike Festival in Waterbury, July 17 -18. There will be group rides for all abilities (beginner rides, kids rides, women’s rides, epic rides) in Waterbury, Stowe, Fayston & Waitsfield, and Hinesburg. So far we have confirmed bike demos from Trek, Niner, EWR, Norco, Specialized and Cannondale, and are working on confirming several others. Participating bike shops include: Five Hills Bikes; Onion River Sports; the Skier Shop; and Stark Mountain Bike Works. We have also lined up sponsors, vendors and supporters including: WTB, Ideride, Michelin, Gamut-USA, Osprey Packs, Oakley, Nemo, Equipment, Girls Move Mountains, the Vermont Peanut Butter Company, and Mocean365-Mocean Maté. The schedule is coming together well - expect to ride great single-track all weekend, at your own pace, with local guides showing you around, with Saturday afternoon including live music, a BBQ and FREE ICE-CREAM from Vermont’s finest – Ben and Jerry’s! On Saturday night there will be more live music, prizes and libations at The Reservoir Restaurant and Taproom in Waterbury. Then more rides with local guides on Sunday. Check out www.vermontmountainbikefestival.com for registration and regular updates.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    It's getting close and the trails are riding great. We continue to add Vendors. See website for updated info.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Check out the updates on the Vermont Mountain Bike Festival the sponsor page - with more to come in the coming weeks:

http://www.vermontmountainbikefestival.com/index.html

mostbrokenestscaphoidever

Question

I am coming from Canada for this festival and wanted to know how registration works and what it includes?

Am I assuming that the $45 is per person? I will be with a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children (10years old and 13 years old).

I assume this doesn't include the camping and that we have to book that elsewhere?

I can't find an email address to direct questions to...

Thanks, Mysty
    misfit diSSent 29er SS
    niner One9 SS

mtbr member
    contact [email protected] and I can answer questions for you.

Yes, $45 is person - gets you two days of guided riding, meal Sat night, Two Bands Sat night, T-shirt, and hopefully some swag give aways.

Most people who camp out stay at Little River State park (5 miles from festival sign in location).
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    going to register this week.....do you know about how many miles the stowe or htf all day epics will be? and how many miles the intermediate rides are?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Still checking on the HTF epic ride. The Stowe epic is usally 25+ miles and covers a lot of trails most people do not do.

Intermidiate rides can range from 10 to 15 miles.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    To much money to go I think. Especially to bring kids along. Just shows you how corporate mountain bikiking has become (and in VT of all places).

mtbr member
    Interesting take BulldogTod. Not sure how you are getting corporate out of $45. We pay for your shirt, your sat meal, rental fees for things we need on site. What is left over goes to pay for people to continue to work on and expand the trails in the state. I agree we could do better on offering a break for kids.

I hear Pedros was charging $130 in the end. Not sure what that got for you or what the money raised went to.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    I understand the cost thing as I have lost two jobs in a year. If I wasnt willing to swing a sledge hammer for some cash I would not have the cash to even think about going.

I do think however Bulldog Tod you would change your corporate tune very quickly when you experience the festival. They do a great job organizing and the people are more then happy to talk and show you around.

Are there options for single day passes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If anyone just wants to see the trails...I am always happy to show folks around. There's alot more going on at the festival then that though...45 dollars to me seems like a steal...Dinner, 2 bands, a t-shirt and two guided tours....I know when Jweiss was doing MTB tours, 45 bucks would get you about 2 hours...not 2 days. If I give you a tour...you're gonna buy me a 6 rack and a burrito down at the 'chemist so it's almost the same thing....and I play a little guitar, but you're not gonna get 2 shows outta me....***** about your tax dollars going to illegal wars, not a volentary expendature going to promote and preserve MOUNTAIN BIKING. Ferchrissake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    If anyone just wants to see the trails...I am always happy to show folks around. There's alot more going on at the festival then that though...45 dollars to me seems like a steal...Dinner, 2 bands, a t-shirt and two guided tours....I know when Jweiss was doing MTB tours, 45 bucks would get you about 2 hours...not 2 days. If I give you a tour...you're gonna buy me a 6 rack and a burrito down at the 'chemist so it's almost the same thing....and I play a little guitar, but you're not gonna get 2 shows outta me....***** about your tax dollars going to illegal wars, not a volentary expendature going to promote and preserve MOUNTAIN BIKING. Ferchrissake.

QFTW.

DaveVT was very nice to meet as I went up by myself the first year and he was gracious enough to let me follow him around Waterbury so i could get a Friday ride in before the festival started. I only wish I could keep up with you and your friend on my Cadillac like bullit.

This year if I can make it ( again going solo) I have to leave Friday night around 10pm from CT. Ill hope to be at my brothers in Waterbury at 1:30 or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I ain't goin' neither! $45 bucks! Forget it. Instead, I'm going to:

Pay $18 for a ticket and food for a 90 minute movie. Then,
    Bring the bottles back towards that $80 lift ticket for six hours of skiing I'm going to buy in a few short months. Then...
    Buy a $20 case of beer that I could probably do without. Then...
    Spend $35 for a dinner out for $15 worth of food, Then...
    I'd pony up $160 for a 2 hour hockey game in MTL (oops, all done). Then...

I think you get the picture-

(Satire, people, satire- When put in perspective- $45 is damn cheap for a weekend offering what VMBA is. Thanks to all organizing such a great event. Keep up the great work)
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ok I guess I was wrong about the price. Maybe next year I can plan better and go. I just do a lot with both my kids and it seemed like a lot of $$ to bring them, my kids are really young. I didn't realize all that was going on there before I wrote so impulsively , I mean no disrespect to all who helped. Last fest I went to in VT was a reggae fest for cheap.
    Hope every one had fun it sounds like a cool time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogTod
    Ok I guess I was wrong about the price. Maybe next year I can plan better and go. I just do a lot with both my kids and it seemed like a lot of $$ to bring them, my kids are really young. I didn't realize all that was going on there before I wrote so impulsively , I mean no disrespect to all who helped. Last fest I went to in VT was a reggae fest for cheap.
    Hope every one had fun it sounds like a cool time.

I would agree that it would be alot of coin to bring a coupla young kids. There are some clincks and what not, but I think the festival as it is right now, is most attractive to folks who wanna come up and ride....alot. Hinesburg, Waitsfield, Stowe, and Millstone ride MUCH better with local knowledge...I see those rides as being the best value for festival goers. And if it's your first fest you have to ride right in Waterbury...where I guess there will be Demos. I am personally pretty excited that EWR is gonna be there. A SS 26" OWB is pretty much my dream bike. I hope then bring one.

mtbr member
    I really want to come up for this... not sure how to swing it, time-wise. As far as the cost goes, it's a fine price, but a kid's admission might be an idea worth considering.

And maybe I could sell DaveVT on the idea of some nice, East Coast wagon wheels (Dave, I am coming up sometime this summer and I'll want to get up with you)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    I really want to come up for this... not sure how to swing it, time-wise. As far as the cost goes, it's a fine price, but a kid's admission might be an idea worth considering.

And maybe I could sell DaveVT on the idea of some nice, East Coast wagon wheels (Dave, I am coming up sometime this summer and I'll want to get up with you)
    Let me know. Coming from the up state, you'll love it here. Ever get down to Issaqueena. I logged a lot of miles there BITD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogTod
    To much money to go I think. Especially to bring kids along. Just shows you how corporate mountain bikiking has become (and in VT of all places).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    I think the point has been made that this is good value. More importantly, the money raised by the festival goes to fund our executive director, Patrick Kell. With Patrick leading the way, we have expanded mtn bike opportunities in a very big way. The list is too long, so come on up to the festival and we can talk about it over a beer or 3. If the only thing stopping you is the kids tickets, I may be able to work that out for you. Let me know.

Sorry I am late responding, I haven't been checking the forums much this year. [email protected]

mtbr member
    I really want to attend this but don't think I'll be doing the camping or hotel route. I live in Burlington and can be home less than an hour after I'm done with things. My question is what is the rest of the schedule looking like as I was just on the festival site and nothing seems to be updated after the rides. I'm a mtn bike festival n00b and was wondering what happens after I do the 2 hour intermediate ride in Stowe? It starts at 9:30 and will be done by noon so do I try and make it back down to Waterbury for the 2 hour intermediate ride at 2 or what is the deal? When is this dinner, when is the band, when and where is the Ben & Jerry's?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can shed a little light for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

festival

you got it - ride Stowe in the morning, come back to Waterbury for an afternoon ride, (check out a nice demo bike for the afternoon ride too?) BBQ on site at the icerink from 2:30-5:30. Band will play there in the afternoon, Ben and Jerrys served there too. Saturday night from about 7:30 pm onwards will be at the Reservoir Bar in Waterbury for beers, movies, more live music, raffles and BiggearSS solo-dancing to 80's soft rock....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgt_Aol4NA
    His favorite I hear....hopefully he keeps his cloths on this year.
    and my favorite 80's song....maybe he'll dance with me this year...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bmlcmyq0

mtbr member
    Thank you Patrick that sounds like a good weekend plan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't see starting spots listed for all of the rides on the website. Might be good to post something or update that if possible (let me know if I missed it)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshG
    I don't see starting spots listed for all of the rides on the website. Might be good to post something or update that if possible (let me know if I missed it)
    I just emailed the web guy, asking him to make the change - all rides meet in Waterbury.

Thanks, PK

mtbr member
    The times listed on the site are for ride start times. So I would have to be in Hinesburg at 9:00 am for any of the rides? Where would I get directions to the trails?

mtbr member
    Ride times are actually times for leaving the festival site. Getting to Stowe is about 20min, Hinesburg 30 min and Waitsfield 30 min or so. We have people leaving aournd 9 getting to the trail head around 9:30 or so with the ride starting close to 10 once everyone is ready and there is some discussion on the trails that will be ridden and other things. Best thing is to meet at the site Sat AM.

If you register Friday night and would like to meet the group at Hinesburg we can give you directions then.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by birmy
    The times listed on the site are for ride start times. So I would have to be in Hinesburg at 9:00 am for any of the rides? Where would I get directions to the trails?

all rides meet in, and leave from Waterbury. For example, the Hinesburg rides will leave Waterbury at 9 a.m, with local guides and participants. They will caravan to Hinesburg, and then start riding.

mtbr member
    Already registered for the festival, and noticed that one of the main meals is BBQ. Any vegetarian options, like perhaps some BBQ'ed portabellas?
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    there will be some Vergitarian options.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Just to note registration for the festival closes on Wed. If you plan on showing up and want to register day of it will be an additional $10
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. See you all Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Another note - there will be a lot of demo bikes at the festival sites. If you get back early and looking for something to do here is your chance to beat up on a demo bike for free. Brands that will be there are Niner, Specialized, Cannondale, Felt, Cannondale, and maybe a few others.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    VMBA - "BiggearSS solo-dancing to 80's soft rock...."

Wiping coffee off my monitor... Hopefully he won't have the gloves on this year...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Ewr

I would agree that it would be alot of coin to bring a coupla young kids. There are some clincks and what not, but I think the festival as it is right now, is most attractive to folks who wanna come up and ride....alot. Hinesburg, Waitsfield, Stowe, and Millstone ride MUCH better with local knowledge...I see those rides as being the best value for festival goers. And if it's your first fest you have to ride right in Waterbury...where I guess there will be Demos. I am personally pretty excited that EWR is gonna be there. A SS 26" OWB is pretty much my dream bike. I hope then bring one.
    Just spoke to Jay @ EWR, they are bringing an OWB 26"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VMBA
    Just spoke to Jay @ EWR, they are bringing an OWB 26"
    BOING!

mtbr member
    Just signed up.

FYI Pre registration ends Wednesday at midnight and the cost goes up 10 bucks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A friend and I just signed up for the weekend and were wondering how the demo bikes are going to work? Are they going to let people demo then for an entire ride session (ie Saturday AM or PM ride)?

mtbr member
    Years past people have been able to use them for the entire ride. The only draw back was that they would only allow you to demo bikes on the Waterbury trails since they are right at the festival site. If you plan on doing one of the other rides you can always come back and take a demo out on the hill in Waterbury. Best bet would be to talk to the vendor and see if they will let the bike go to another location if you plan going on one of the rides out of town.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggearss
    there will be some Vergitarian options.
    Excellent, thanks!
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    this looks like a great time. Congrats to those who put it together. The shuttle/downhill ride looks to be 6.5 hours. Any other shuttle ride option that is shorter?

What's that shuttle ride like?

thanks!

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    The shuttle ride will be hitting some of the MRV's longer descents. There'll be some climbing and pedalling, but overall the goal is maximum vertical. Some of the potential trails we might hit are Center Fayston, East Loop-Chain Gang- Hyde Away, Clinic, Cyclone, Sugar Run, and Plum Line.

If you are worried about too long a day, we can probably drop you near your car or at Sugarbush for some cold beverages. I'm trying to get clearance for one run at Sugarbush to finish the day too.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just went to the registration page and it says "Registration Closed"!!!??? Website lists registration open till midnight 7/14. What's the deal?

mtbr member
    Got signed up and have my confirmation number unfortunately when I went to the email I used I deleted all my junk before realizing it was in there. Was there any info emailed to me that I will need? I'm assuming you guys have our names at Waterbury when we show up or do I need to bring that confirmation number?

Also, and I will preface this that I understand not wanting to be held liable for any reason by answering this, like I said before this is my first mountain bike festy will we be able to consume adult beverages on the grounds of the Family Center or Ice Center whatever that place is? Will they be served there or if we bring our own is it cool or is it more of a hush hush don't broadcast it deal, thanks in advance for the info.

mtbr member
    New World Man we have your info so you are all set. All you have to do is remember who you are ...just kidding with ya.

Plenty of people will be comsuming adult beverages before, during and after dinner. This is BYOB. I have heard that there may be one vendor who may have a supply onsite, but that is not confirmed.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Helped lead the Stowe Advanced ride Saturday. Over 40 people shoved off. Way more then we suspected. The loop we rode was a circumnavigation of the West Branch Little River Drainage, starting and ending at Iride. The Loop was Charlies>all the Town loops ending with Bear's Left out to the road>Tony's (lost 2 people)>Tamarack>Maple run (on the way up Maple run the group split) A group hit God Street to Kent's back to Maple Run>(A group split again at the top of Maple run, before Billings, and the second group did lauren's backwards to peek-a-view)Billings Road(also catamount)>worcesterloop>peek-a-view(where we all regrouped)>Lauren's Loop>Adam's Climb>Waterfall>Stowe School Express>hit the road by the matterhorn, A group was just leaving the store as B group rolled in. At this point B group dropped from about 20 ppl to 9 and we clawed our way back to the peleton as we climbed Burt Trail>Ranch Camp>Haul Road>hit trapps cabin where A group had waited for about 15 minutes. Then we dropped in and screamed down the trapps touring center on Cabin Run>Valpariso>Telemark, and onto the new bike specific single track desigend and biult by Sustainable Trail Works, Hardy Avery's trail company. Don't know all the names, but we then devoured all of the trapps single track and ripped down pipeline finishing as one strong group of alomst 30. I think we had 2 derailures, and a flat on about 35 miles of riding, in 8 hours. A few wrong turns by a guide or two, a few trails backwards by some....but i think everyone was pretty happy with the ride. Thanks to some of the folks from NH who had some helpfull suggestions on how to guide larger groups more effectively...as the fest grows, we are bound to have some growing pains. I think attendance nearly doubled this year over last, and it was the first year VMBA organized it....it keeps getting better every year...and finally some dry trail! Fun Group on the Stowe ride...I have a camel back sun burn. Good to meet some MTBR regulars for the first time!
    DVT

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Saturday helped with the Waitsfield ride. Two types of rides -First the riders using the shuttle and the XC group.(the one I was in).Not sure exactly how many but most I have seen riding on the local trails at one time. Trails that my group hit- Catamount Tail/Sugar run Maple Twist Twice.The fast group hit (I think) a Race and Ridgie. In Camels Hump State Forest-Enchanted Forest,Clinic /Busternut. Cyclone Connector and Cyclone to the Bottom of Dana Hill Rd. and the car. Ran into some of the Shuttle group at the bottom of Cyclone. A busted derailleur. Couple of flats ,a loose chain ring and a rear brake failure. Big smiles on every one .I very fun ride. JC

mtbr member
    Had a BLAST at this festival and I have some pictures and more words later but I do have a suggestion first and foremost. I've been to a ton of music festivals and upon checking in to these we always are given thin plastic wristbands that MUST be worn at all times. I was a little shocked to see that after paying close to $50, which I am by no means complaining about it was WELL worth it, that pretty much anybody could have taken full advantage of this festival without paying a dime. I noticed this on the Waterbury trails when I went out on a demo and ran across at least 5 different people not there for the festival but simply just riding the trails. No biggie they aren't private but what was preventing any of them riding back and getting a free meal? Anybody could have just driven up and hopped in one of the group rides on Trapps, come back and demo'd a bike, gotten a meal, etc. I hope this doesn't come across as a complaint because it isn't intended to be just a suggestion to make sure that some of us aren't paying for others.

THANK YOU to everyone who guided, volunteered, set up a booth, cooked sausage, served anything, or just plain educated anyone on our great sport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Helped lead the Stowe Advanced ride Saturday. Over 40 people shoved off. Way more then we suspected. The loop we rode was a circumnavigation of the West Branch Little River Drainage, starting and ending at Iride. The Loop was Charlies>all the Town loops ending with Bear's Left out to the road>Tony's (lost 2 people)>Tamarack>Maple run (on the way up Maple run the group split) A group hit God Street to Kent's back to Maple Run>(A group split again at the top of Maple run, before Billings, and the second group did lauren's backwards to peek-a-view)Billings Road(also catamount)>worcesterloop>peek-a-view(where we all regrouped)>Lauren's Loop>Adam's Climb>Waterfall>Stowe School Express>hit the road by the matterhorn, A group was just leaving the store as B group rolled in. At this point B group dropped from about 20 ppl to 9 and we clawed our way back to the peleton as we climbed Burt Trail>Ranch Camp>Haul Road>hit trapps cabin where A group had waited for about 15 minutes. Then we dropped in and screamed down the trapps touring center on Cabin Run>Valpariso>Telemark, and onto the new bike specific single track desigend and biult by Sustainable Trail Works, Hardy Avery's trail company. Don't know all the names, but we then devoured all of the trapps single track and ripped down pipeline finishing as one strong group of alomst 30. I think we had 2 derailures, and a flat on about 35 miles of riding, in 8 hours. A few wrong turns by a guide or two, a few trails backwards by some....but i think everyone was pretty happy with the ride. Thanks to some of the folks from NH who had some helpfull suggestions on how to guide larger groups more effectively...as the fest grows, we are bound to have some growing pains. I think attendance nearly doubled this year over last, and it was the first year VMBA organized it....it keeps getting better every year...and finally some dry trail! Fun Group on the Stowe ride...I have a camel back sun burn. Good to meet some MTBR regulars for the first time!
    DVT
    I took the other half of the B group (that didn't want to climb) from the General store. Unfortunately we ended up on the rec-path, but this let us stop for a dip to cool off. We dropped in behind the High School - about half way in Sam took a few folks who were done out by the Gables. I took the rest up and out Zogs.

It was a long ride in the heat (I drained my camelback twice) - but everyone was still smiling when we got back to IRide... I think the best thing we did was add more guides (and a few locals who were great to help out) and give options along the way for people that wanted to get back to the car...
    Last edited by SSearchVT; 07-19-2010 at 03:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT
    I took the other half of the B group (that didn't want to climb) from the General store. Unfortunately we ended up on the rec-path, but this let us stop for a dip to cool off. We dropped in behind the High School - about half way in Seth took a few folks who were done out by the Gables. I took the rest up and out Zogs.

It was a long ride in the heat (I drained my camelback twice) - but everyone was still smiling when we got back to IRide... I think the best thing we did was add more guides (and a few locals who were great to help out) and give options along the way for people that wanted to get back to the car...

Yup, that was key...Sam and Mike, as well as you Scott.

mtbr member
    The Guides and Locals were great and I cant thank them enough. Rode Waitsfield Saturday and had a blast, we also had to fill up water but we were lucky enough to be able to use someone hose at their house. Thank you!

I rode the Trapp trails on Sunday ( legs were dead from Waitsfield) those are some of best planned trails I have ridden. A big thank you to Trapps for letting us see their trails that are extremely new, I cant wait to see the rest of the network.

mtbr member
    Hey NewWorldMan...gald you had a good time. The wristbands were an over sight on our part. We had a little mixup with sign in and they did not get put into your goodie bag. The first two years of the fest we did have everyone wearing wristbands and will do so in the future.
    Get out and Ride!!

beer thief
    We had an awesome time. You guys & gals have really got it going on up there; incredible trails, a great cycling community & superb advocacy group, and supportive land managers. What more could you ask for?

Thank you all for your efforts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    had a rad time riding waitsfield on saturday. glad jeff showed us the swimming hole following the ride. good cool down. the fest was well worth the drive from PA

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    We had an awesome time. You guys & gals have really got it going on up there; incredible trails, a great cycling community & superb advocacy group, and supportive land managers. What more could you ask for?

Thank you all for your efforts.
    It's actually outstanding to see such a great mix! Clubs in the region our very active and promote/build great trails!

But you seem to be doing quite alright in NH as well!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    My first mountain bike festival and definitely not my last. Arrived in Waterbury, VT early Saturday morning to postcard perfect weather and got checked in. Not knowing what to expect I signed up for the intermediate ride at Stowe. Was lucky enough to get behind our guide Sam Von Trapp and learn about the trails, the plans for the future, and a little about him. The trails at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe are incredible, flowy, fast, not grueling climbing, narrow, and smooooth! He was nice enough to let the festival ride these trails and it worked as far as advertising goes because I will be back to ride these pay to play trails. We got in 11 miles and there is no better way to end a ride than a rip down the Pipeline.

Went back to Waterbury and decided to do a solo ride on a demo bike. I took out a carbon hardtail Felt 29er and am glad I finally rode a hardtail on the rooty rugged trails of Waterbury. No way will I ever buy a bike without full suspension, those trails beat me up and after that climb to get to them I was whooped. The big wheels saved my tired body and mind a few times as I went into some roots and between rocks not thinking. I did the Rastaman> Burning Spear loop back to the bottom and then called it a day. Loved the band, forget their name, but instrumental surf style music, with a few Harpoons from the tap courtesy of the good folks at www.onionriver.com was a great way to end the day.

Sunday I wanted to do the Waitsfield ride but the Saturday night rain negated those plans so I signed up for the advanced ride at Stowe. John and Shelly were the guides on this ride at the Town Loops trails and then up to Trapp's. Stowe has a great network of trails with from what I understand more on the way. Starting and ending at the high school we got in a 20 mile ride that I did end up skipping about 1/2-3/4 of a mile of the ride and instead enjoyed a beer at the Trapp Lodge Brewery. Yeah a brewery on the trail system, thanks again to John for circling back and checking to make sure I was alright..... you are a politician in the making with using that as your excuse to have some beer.
    (I was the one with the helmet cam and unfortunately am having problems with it, the downhill didn't record so the up and over the rock is the only thing that got captured all weekend.)

Great weekend and I can't thank enough everyone involved, the guides were great, the vendors were friendly and helpful, the organizers were organized, just a fantastic weekend.

Demo Felt 29er

View from the brewery deck, from here it is downhill down the Pipeline.

VIDEO

mtbr member
    Thanks Dave for stepping up and leading the B team. You did a great job. Awesome ride, a true epic. We got lost (for a bit), saw plenty of blood, sweat, and some tears, chicks singing Metallica, killer single track, 35 miles, two camel backs of water, (1) 32 oz poweraid, 4 cliff bars, 8 hours in the saddle- that's epic.

Thanks again. Great festival again this year.

mtbr member
    Loved the band, forget their name, but instrumental surf style music

anyone know the name of the band?

mtbr member
    Hi All.

Here's the vid of the Stowe "epic" ride Saturday.

http://mtbmind.com/forums/topic.php?id=52

mtbr member
    Band - Concrete Rivals
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say thanks for such an excellent event. Looking forward to next year!
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    We will be waiting for you
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member

Vermont Mtn Bike Festival Trip Report

.....and Millstone.

There is nothing like riding your bike in a new location with a pack of friendly locals guiding you along. How about the chance to ride 3 or 4 new areas all in one weekend? Well that is what we did. Three of us left Mtn Top , PA at about 6pm after a full work day to head to Vermont for the weekend. The 3rd annual Vermont Mtn Bike Festival was happening and we thought what better way to find some new trails for later visits and enjoy the weekend. We settled into the 6 + hour drive and arrived in Burlington before we knew it. Up early Friday morning we made plans to ride at a new favorite only ridden for the first time in early June, MillStone Quarry. We arranged to meet 2 former Mtn Top locals(Joan & Al) who have since moved to Lake Sunapee New Hampshire at 10 am.

Getting to know Millstone by just using the map is quite a challenge......this being our second time made it 100% more fun cause we stopped at less of the intersections to see where we were headed. We did almost all the "advanced" routes that were marked on the map including the signature Fellowship of the Ring area, Capitol Loops, Rollercoaster, Whetmore Heights, Holy Ghost, and Switchback. We were about a mile from finishing the Fellowship of the Ring area when we encountered a lone rider on the trail who had fallen behind his group due to a broken chain. We fixed his chain and just as we finished the sky let loose with a torrential downpour that lasted a good 25 minutes. We were thouroughly soaked when the rain stopped. Amazingly the trails did not get slippery, even the rocks offered great traction during and after the rain.....well the roots did get slippery. We finished up our day by riding back toward the lodge where there was a hose to wash off our bikes before we headed back to our lodging in Burlington.

Once back at the hotel we cleaned up ourselves and organized a trip over to Magic Hat brewery for the last tour of the day. We actually ended up meeting one of the original founders Alan Newman while on the tour. Next on the agenda was exploring Church Street and the waterfront of Burlington. Had a great meal at a outdoor cafe on Church street, checked out the gear exchange store, and walked over to see how the BrewFest was going on the Burlington Waterfront. Last stop was a ride over to Hinesburg to check out where one of the VMBF rides was going to be....well we never found the trailhead but we did find Nic's Ice Cream shop to cap the day. All in all a really great day in Vermont!

We got up early to drive over to Waterbury Vermont and the site of the Vermont Mountain Bike Festival. We arrived what we thought was early at about 8:30am but there were plenty of people there already. Vendors were setting up in the field and we checked out all the tents and picked up our registration goody bag(some nice stuff in there including a classic Mtn Bike Vermont T shirt). The site was set up exceptionally well with one end anchored by a giant Indoor Ice Rink and the vendor tents circling the rest of the site. Our crew consisted of a early 40's guy, and early 50's guy, and an early 60's guy. We split up with the "hammer"(40 something guy) Jon signing up for the Stowe Advance ride and myself and 60's guy signing up for the Stowe Intermediate ride. Riders were organized and vehicle arrangements were made just before we took off for the short drive to Stowe at 9:30. Alison a Sugarbush local rode up to Stowe with Denis and I. Her husband was leading one of the Sugarbush rides but she had never checked out the Stowe riding before so she was exploring. Just before we left the lot EWR founder and rider and DIrt Rag Contributor Jay De Jesus pulled up next to us. He was setting up to run clinics all day at the site.

Turns out there were approx. 70 of us who were doing the Stowe Intermediate ride. We split that group in two and headed up Stowe Mountain along a series of trails. Now 35 sounds like alot of riders in a group but it turned out really well with the group stringing out for about a 1/3 of a mile. Early in the ride we passed into a fee trail system run by the Von Trapp Lodge Group(the ones from the Sound of Music'''''''the hills are alive with the sound of music""""). One of our guides for the ride was head of operations for the Von Trapp Ride Center and the other was Stowe Local Dave(this might be the 2nd most popular name in Vermont as I met 2 other Stowe Locals named Dave!!). Both were excellent ride leaders and a wealth of information about the local area. The ride started at 10am and we basically climbed a good part of the Mountain up to a cabin where we took a break and then bombed the rest of the day down the mountain.....including a stop at a brew pub on the Von Trapp property. The trails were amazingly well built including layout and built for the longhaul(think lots of armoring and drainage work). We finished up around 2pm with a short drive back to the Waterbury festival site.

Once back at the site it was time to ride the Waterbury trails on the demos. I tried out 2 bikes(Sir 9 & MCR) from the Niner tent, each was set up very well and in top running condition. The Niner rep even went to the extent of trying to match your cockpit set up by measuring your bike and then making adjustments to the demo. Took them out on the Yellow route which turned out to be about an hour loop. The route reminded me of Old Webs at Kingdom trails.....pine forest with a super high canopy and soft single track....really nice. Once finished riding utilized the Ice Rink team room showers to clean up from the day. Next dinner was on for those that had returned for the day.

As we walked the dinner line we met MTBR.com riders BigGearSS(Dave) and VMBA(Patrick K.) working the barbeque grills. Great dinner with seconds or thirds for anyone that wanted more and it was topped off with Ben & Jerry's ice cream. We ate under the huge tent with the band playing nearby. We realized at this point there were an amazing amount of kids around riding their bikes in the main field, hopefully it is the next generation of Mtn Bikers. At about 6:15pm we spied "Jon-the Hammer" walking across the field.....he looked completely played out....tenatively shuffling across the the field shirtless and shoeless......he had left the site at 9:30am and was just getting back.....he was one of select few that actually finished the entire Advanced Stowe ride. While eating and hanging at the tent we met 2 canadian couples and Nic and Sheila from Allentown PA as well as many others. Onion River Sports out of Montpelier had a keg of Harpoon IPA going throughout the early evening. Last stop for the day was the Resevoir Tap Room in Waturbury for more micro brews, more food(the Hammer ate a second meal), music, and the festival raffle. What a day....we left the hotel at 8 am and returned at 11 pm.

Sunday our last day...we got to the Festival site early again...arriving at about 8Am. Our plan was to ride together as we had on Friday at Millstone and given that the youngsters on the advanced Stowe ride pushed our "hammer" to the limit we new we would be able to keep up with him. We Enjoyed some fresh baked muffins and bagels with Vermont Peanut Butter while hangin' out with others. Next we signed out 2 more demo's, a Niner Jet 9 from the Niner crew and a Specialized StumpJumper FSR 29 Elite(long bike name) from the Onion River Sports team in Montpelier . We all ride Crank Bros. pedals so we each got a chance to try the bikes. We headed up to the Green Loop which I think was Burning Spear...either way we ended up going all the way to the top of the mountain....really great techie terrain up top.....plenty of rock faces to ride up or down and roots galore.....we ended up catching the yellow loop for an extra few miles. Once again, we used the Ice Rinks Team Room showers and headed back to PA at about 12:30pm.

The festival was well planned, organized, and executed. I hope it does not grow to large with the accompanying problems....I heard this year it was about 210 riders.....but never felt crowded or had long lines for demos or at the tents. MillStone, Stowe, and Waterbury are must do Vermont rides in my opinion. There sure is plenty to do up in the area for non rider friends and family. The locals are friendly and can really ride. They have developed a top notch network of trails and the Vermont Mountain Bike Festival is worth the long ride....we'll be back. Here are a few very short vids to give you an idea what it was like....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJFkxKSc2Eg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJFkxKSc2Eg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uF5jP4AEEZk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uF5jP4AEEZk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jmOYM8cZuWA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jmOYM8cZuWA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-009_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-036_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-038_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-045_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-049_800x450.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

A few more pics.. and vids...

...from Vermont Mountain Bike Festival and Millstone.....thanks again to the crew who put together and executed this fine event!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/utvKmzwx3Ts&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/utvKmzwx3Ts&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-060_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-063_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-064_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-009_800x450.jpg  

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival-040_800x450.jpg  

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=radair]We had an awesome time. You guys & gals have really got it going on up there; incredible trails, a great cycling community & superb advocacy group, and supportive land managers. What more could you ask for?

FREE BEER!

Rob - good to see you there

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by colby717
    had a rad time riding waitsfield on saturday. glad jeff showed us the swimming hole following the ride. good cool down. the fest was well worth the drive from PA
    Glad you enjoyed the ride, next time we'll definitely do the Clinic too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Vermont Mountain Bike Festival 2011

Registration is now open for the 2011 Vermont Mountain Bike Association, to be held on July 16-17, 2011. http://www.vermontmountainbikefestival.com/

More details on ride schedules will be posted in the coming weeks and months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm on the fence about bringing my daughter for the kid's ride. Can anyone give me a sense of what that ride will be like?

mtbr member

Coming to my 2nd VMBF....Suggestions....

.....will be riding Thursday and Friday in addtion to the festival days.......

Thursday..... thinking of riding Sunny Hollow, Saxon Hill, and Mobbs Valley on Thursday....might be overambitious but the 3 areas looked to be fairly close to each other.....any suggestions there welcome......

Friday will probably will be Stowe......self guided from memory of last years ride...starting at bike shop...over to Trapps...down to the School....back along the river to the shop....should be a good ride.

Last year rode MillStone on the Friday before...then Stowe on Sat at festival as well as Perry Hill on Sunday.....

This year at the festival.....thinking of trying Mad River Valley on Saturday and Waterbury or Hinesburg on Sunday. Will there be riding at Sugarbush this year?

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jeff, most of the trails at Saxon hill are closed , due to a land owner issue. Sunny Hollow is fun but small, and some of the trails are on government property, which we are being asked to stay off. You might want to think about Hinesburge town forest, Carse hills, and/or Sleepy Hollow. Some of the best stuff the area has to offer. Their are about 40 miles of trails in this area and can all be connected if you want, if you have two cars start at Sleep hollow, ride over through hinesburge town forest to Carse hills,shuttling back to sleepy hollow. Otherwise their are lots of nice loops that can be put together. Check the fellowship of the wheel site for trails information. I'd show you but will be working. P.m me for a specific route.

mtbr member
    tgovebaker the kids ride is lead by a local group calls Wheels Around Waterbury. They run local day camps for kids from Grade school to middle school. Jason the leader of the group will take the kids up Perry Hill in Waterbury and ride around the trails along the lower sections. He is usally accompanied by some local kids to help out.

If you need som further information let me know.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member

Murph- Thanks for the information....

Quote Originally Posted by murph62903 View Post
    Jeff, most of the trails at Saxon hill are closed , due to a land owner issue. Sunny Hollow is fun but small, and some of the trails are on government property, which we are being asked to stay off. You might want to think about Hinesburge town forest, Carse hills, and/or Sleepy Hollow. Some of the best stuff the area has to offer. Their are about 40 miles of trails in this area and can all be connected if you want, if you have two cars start at Sleep hollow, ride over through hinesburge town forest to Carse hills,shuttling back to sleepy hollow. Otherwise their are lots of nice loops that can be put together. Check the fellowship of the wheel site for trails information. I'd show you but will be working. P.m me for a specific route.
    Appreciate the information.....will alter my Thursday Ride.....when i checked the FOTW site Hinesburg, Carse Hills, and SLeepy Hollow are marked "Closed" in red......it said it was updated today 7/12???? Well will check it again before I go. Thx again, Ride On!
    Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 07-12-2011 at 04:00 PM.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003

Cyclone, Camel's Hump SF, part of the Mad River Valley rides this weekend.

I am leading the shuttle ride on Saturday, which includes a free lift ticket to Sugarbush, where we will end up after a few runs in the Valley. I will likely be on the big bike for the day, but an all-mountain rig is probably faster overall for the shuttle trails. There is still some climbing, even with car-assists. The mountain trails are doable on smaller bikes, but bigger is better for most folks.

The weather looks great and the trails should be relatively dry to almost perfect.

See you on Saturday!

John

mtbr member
    This will be my third time in attendance, it has been great both previous times. I keep looking at the weather as I cant imagine it being any better then what is predicted. I will be rolling solo into H2Obury tomorrow around 11pm, if you see a guy around with a white Nomad thats me. See you Saturday!

Oh, if you look two pictures up i am in the backround right under the two white signs with a blue hat on and a grey shirt

beer thief
    I am bummed to be missing the 2011 festival but will be going to Mt. Mansfield for work on Friday and am planning to ride Perry Hill in mid-afternoon. Unfortunately I have to attend a memorial service in Maine on Saturday. If anyone wants to join us on Friday's ride I hope to be in Waterbury around 2 pm. I'll be in a silver Eurovan and riding a gray Nomad. My lady friend is on a blue & white Kona.

mtbr member
    Quick question - I registered about a month ago and I'm driving almost 5 hours to come. I just noticed there is a new schedule out and there are no intermediate rides in the afternoon, there was one listed when I first registered. Not to sound like an @ss but I probably wouldn't have registered, rented a cabin with friends and drove 5 hours if I knew I would only be riding once on saturday and once on sunday. Any idea why there isn't a morning and afternoon intermediate ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    Quick question - I registered about a month ago and I'm driving almost 5 hours to come. I just noticed there is a new schedule out and there are no intermediate rides in the afternoon, there was one listed when I first registered. Not to sound like an @ss but I probably wouldn't have registered, rented a cabin with friends and drove 5 hours if I knew I would only be riding once on saturday and once on sunday. Any idea why there isn't a morning and afternoon intermediate ride?
    Well, the waterbury trails are very well marked. I would suggest heading out to waitsfield, Stowe, or Hinesburg for your guided ride on both days, then heading back to the fest site, demoing some of the great bikes that will be there and exploring the waterbury network for your second rides. Or, if you plan on riding twice both days, maybe consider doing one of the schedualed "epic" rides. We plan on pedaling 5+ hours on the stowe rides, and I'm sure the hinesburg or waitsfield epics will provide you with enough riding for one day. As one of the ride leaders, I know this is a very organic event. Small details are bound to shift and change slightly as personell and volenteers commit. Bottom line is there is a **** ton of great riding and you are guarenteed guided rides in areas where you would need a guide, and are free to rip around the waterbury (SICK) network at your leisure. Hope it works out for you!
    DVT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Well, the waterbury trails are very well marked. I would suggest heading out to waitsfield, Stowe, or Hinesburg for your guided ride on both days, then heading back to the fest site, demoing some of the great bikes that will be there and exploring the waterbury network for your second rides. Or, if you plan on riding twice both days, maybe consider doing one of the schedualed "epic" rides. We plan on pedaling 5+ hours on the stowe rides, and I'm sure the hinesburg or waitsfield epics will provide you with enough riding for one day. As one of the ride leaders, I know this is a very organic event. Small details are bound to shift and change slightly as personell and volenteers commit. Bottom line is there is a **** ton of great riding and you are guarenteed guided rides in areas where you would need a guide, and are free to rip around the waterbury (SICK) network at your leisure. Hope it works out for you!
    DVT
    Thanks for the info. Dave - sorry if my post made me come off as an @ss. Not my intent at all, just trying to explain my tight budget - not that anyone cares Anyway, that's a good idea about riding in the morning and hitting the Waterbury trails in the afternoon. I didn't know if those trails were real well marked or not so now that I know they are I can figure out a gameplan. Really appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    1 more question. The caravan to go to the other trails, is that basically follow in your own car? I have a buddy who is planning to do one of the advanced epic rides and we might end up going to different places - will he be able to catch a ride with some sort of shuttle or group of people?

mtbr member
    It is a follow in your own car. I car pooled with someone I met at the ice rink the day of the event, with that said I am more then sure that your friend could find a ride. There is no shuttle but enough people will be going the same way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    1 more question. The caravan to go to the other trails, is that basically follow in your own car? I have a buddy who is planning to do one of the advanced epic rides and we might end up going to different places - will he be able to catch a ride with some sort of shuttle or group of people?
    We use personal vehicles, but ride sharing shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Leaving in a couple hours and can't wait to ride the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    What if you just want to check out the scenery/vendors? did I miss out?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    2011 Stowe "Epic" rides were great this year. Lots of faces from last year. Al, Vladamir, a couple strong groups from western mass and the Saratoga NY area. Rode alot of what we rode last year and some "new" stuff as well. Weather and trail conditions were great. Hot in town, but up in the hills it was perfect dirt and pleasant breezes. Already thinking about route for next year...there's some more "new" trail that should get ridden by these more-than-worthy folks who turn up for the Stowe area suffer-fests. Looking forward to riding the Holyoak stuff and it sounds like the Saratoga area might also be on the radar for an away game.

mtbr member

VT - Roots, rocks and great time!

The VT bike festival was sheer awesome!

Riding with friends and friendly locals on great trails is the best.
    On Saturday, I managed to get three rides for the day. Two epic rides
    (Stowe epic and Perry Hill ride) and one solo night ride (at Bear trails).

Excellent event and I'm glad that I was there!
    Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0