mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Trails near Ogunquit Maine?

Family trip to your coast (from MN) in Aug. Seeking any mountain bike trails that are worthy within an hour drive of SE Maine/ Ogunquit.

Thanks for any sort of info...

I'll even take some gravel or 2 track remote riding as well around Ogunquit...

Seeking MTB rental as well. A good shop that knows what they are doing is worth a good tip in the tip jar.

beer thief
    Mt. Agamenticus, aka Aggie or Mt. A, is close by in York and is very good. Search will find you info, have "Toddski" give you a tour. Self-navigation is not easy.

Smith Preserve in Kennebunk is worth a visit. Small but easy navigation with excellent signage and/or using Maprika.

Lots of other places within an hour too. Fort Rock (Exeter, NH) lives up to its name and has a bike shop within pedaling distance (I think).

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Bike Shop... Help?

Thanks for the info.

How about a good quality bikeshop rental in the area?

Again, a good shop is worth a good tip in the tip jar...

Finding a decent ride the rent may be my biggest challange. Plenty of board walk hybrid tourist bikes/ even with suspension. Ya right...

mtbr member
    I grew up riding there, usually hit it 5 or 6 times in the summer. I would gladly give you a good tour when you come out. Always looking for excuses to get back to Aggie, that place is really good, stuff. As far as the rentals go, you can call ahead at Bretons Bike. I don't know what they rent, but if you call ahead they would work something out for you. I have extra Niner hard tail or two in the garage , I can set you up on for a ride. Good luck, enjoy your stay and don't have too many rum punches at Barnicle Billy's. those will mess you up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Radair/ AllvinF- Thanks for your pointers... Starting to decode your trails... City trails in Portland worthy? Trails between Boston and Ogunquit?

STILL SEEKING A LOCAL BIKE RENTAL. Not looking for the touristy type setup. Which shops are real?

Alvinnf, thanks for loaner offer. Willing to rent for 5 days in mid Aug? I'll put down advance as to not bring you back scrap metal.

Also, do you guys have a local MTB race series going happening?

Thanks from Minnesnowta where fatbikes are legit...

cranktankerous Mainer
    There are trails that go from Ogunquit to Mt. Agamenticus, if I am available in August I can help you out. Honestly, traffic is so horrible that time of year, I would just maximize family time & ride time by concentrating on Aggie, you'll never be able to ride it all. Wheels & Waves might have "real" mtn bikes to rent, I don't know what they have.
    Bike Sales, Service and Rentals at Wheels N Waves in Wells, Maine

Ha, you're gonna love the mosquitos!
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatdoyoumean? View Post
    Radair/ AllvinF- Thanks for your pointers... Starting to decode your trails... City trails in Portland worthy? Trails between Boston and Ogunquit?

STILL SEEKING A LOCAL BIKE RENTAL. Not looking for the touristy type setup. Which shops are real?

Alvinnf, thanks for loaner offer. Willing to rent for 5 days in mid Aug? I'll put down advance as to not bring you back scrap metal.

Also, do you guys have a local MTB race series going happening?

Thanks from Minnesnowta where fatbikes are legit...
    You should try to hit Ft rock too, really not that far from O town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Mt Aggie and Fort Rock. Got it. Both look worthy and should satisfy a bike junkies ability to get lost in the woods on a family tourist trip to Maine.

Still looking for a local bike shop with quality MTB rentals and knowledge of the trails and riding.

Couple shops I have targeted;
    Riverside Cycle- what do they have for rentals? (Newburyport MA), Papawheelies- Specialized brand (Portsmouth NH)
    Wheels & Waves- what do they have for rentals?

Thanks again locals...

Seems you guys are on to the fatbike thing... Drop the air and ride on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatdoyoumean? View Post
    Mt Aggie and Fort Rock. Got it. Both look worthy and should satisfy a bike junkies ability to get lost in the woods on a family tourist trip to Maine.

Still looking for a local bike shop with quality MTB rentals and knowledge of the trails and riding.

Couple shops I have targeted;
    Riverside Cycle- what do they have for rentals? (Newburyport MA), Papawheelies- Specialized brand (Portsmouth NH)
    Wheels & Waves- what do they have for rentals?

Thanks again locals...

Seems you guys are on to the fatbike thing... Drop the air and ride on.
    Gorham bike and ski in Saco/Portland had giant trance 29 and al tallboy this year. Wheel power in Exeter nh has a large Bronson and ripley but are demos so u likely can get for a day only. Have u called these other shops u have mentioned?

mtbr member
    Also, u really can get lost at Aggie and it is hard to find the good stuff at times so get a guide or join a group ride. Exeter and smith preserve are easy to navigate.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Am clueless on bike rentals, but know this well - Saturday traffic is frustrating due to weekly rentals where checkout is 11AM - check in is 3 PM. Other than on route 1, any other day is doable.
    For shop rides check Cape Able in K-port, if in Portland - All Speed.
    Also you may want to try these - Bradbury State Park, Robinson Woods, Lowell Preserve.

If near Portland, hit these guys for local rides, and maps.

Mountain Biking in Maine | Rage on Portland | Mountain Bike Club

banned
    Sep 2008
    Multiple hours of trail near aggie to the east and south east closer to the ocean as well.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Maine Trail Finder : Search, Discover, Go. this website should help with finding trails