Southern VT Gravel Rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Southern VT Gravel Rides

DaveVT - other Vermonters,

Decided to do a gravel bike ride this upcoming weekend (Manchester, VT area), versus dedicated MTB single track.

Every RWGPS file I've looked at with respect to gravel rides have significant paved sections.

Can someone provide a vetted gravel ride and /or RWGPS gravel link for this area?

As always, thanks!
    G

trail magician
    Take Rt. 30 north from Manchester to Dorset. After passing through Dorset veer right onto Danby Mountain road. Turn right after passing the mountain, ride through Danby then cross Route 7 and head up FS Road 10. Take FS Road 10 into Peru, then take Route 11/30 back down to Manchester via a fast descent down the paved highway. This is roughly 65% dirt with two good climbs, around 55 miles. YMMV. There are like a billion other options around there, but this is one I like.

mtbr member
    Very cool, thanks. Will check it out. To your knowledge is there a GPX or RWGPS file for this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Poultney has a shit ton of good gravel and chunky back roads. North of Manchester about 35 minutes. This link goes to the Slate Valley Trail website and they have a bunch of mapped routes from town. https://slatevalleytrails.org/gravel...7-2ea6ea6380b3
    Also check out Analog Cycles In Poultney. Dedicated gravel shop, super cool owners, they can recommend routes for sure.
    We have about 20 miles of single track trail here as well.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Forest service roads are great ways to get out in the wilderness on a gravel bike in S. VT. I recommend FS Road 341 which off Kendall Farm rd. right in the center of Winhall (prob 25 min from Manchester). 341 winds it way around Stratton mountain with a big climb then descent. At the end of it you can find more dirt roads heading west or make your way back to Stratton/Winhall.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    VTSession I just got back into mountain biking this summer after not riding for years. Iíve been looking for good trails to ride and had no idea the entry to 341 is right near my work on Kendall Farm Rd. I actually just found out last week and did a drive by near the entrance just to confirm and now canít wait for spring! So assuming youíve been on it, would a gravel bike be sufficient or a mtb with suspension? I might get impatient and get a fat bike for this winter and mud season but either way, I am psyched to check out this ride 👍🏻

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    And after reading your post again, yes I see you did mention gravel bike. Nvm my bad 😄

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Checked out the XVT loop?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Iíve never heard of XVT 🤔

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VT trailheader View Post
    VTSession I just got back into mountain biking this summer after not riding for years. Iíve been looking for good trails to ride and had no idea the entry to 341 is right near my work on Kendall Farm Rd. I actually just found out last week and did a drive by near the entrance just to confirm and now canít wait for spring! So assuming youíve been on it, would a gravel bike be sufficient or a mtb with suspension? I might get impatient and get a fat bike for this winter and mud season but either way, I am psyched to check out this ride 👍🏻
    FS road 341 is more like a 4x4 trail. I've ridden it a couple times on a gravel bike with 40mm tires but an XC mountain bike would ideal for it. Its a long "road" and has a lengthy hill to climb so low mountain bike gears are ideal as are wider tires and suspension for some rougher sections.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try XVtBkRte on FB. Basically an entire figure 8 loop the length of VT. Plus many single track options. Checked out VMBA? All kinds of resources there for your dirt fix. Also the green mt gravel ride, As well as the Cross VT ride. Cool stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Awesome. Thanks guys!