so how bout this weather?- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Sep 2008

so how bout this weather?

practically every frickin day is pure riding bliss weather. anyone else get out this am? my gawd........

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I WISH I could have gotten out this morning. I'll be riding around 4 when its much warmer, not that I'm complaining about 75 and sunny... but I bet 7/8am when its 60's and more moist was just perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am riding tonight after work. Does that count?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yes it counts

New mosquito crop is in attendance.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fantastic!! Great morning with the trails dry but not dusty. Bike is still on the rack so I'll see you out there again tomorrow...

beer thief
    Unreal. Lunchtime ride for me. Was pretty warm but I don't care.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is it Climate, of Course, what else could it be...remember--10,000 years ago you would be riding in New England under 5000' of glacial ice--- I'll take an extra 2 months of riding, on dirt- last 3 years April thru November, into December---Central NH....Franklin Falls. Best is November on a frozen early morning, slightly tacky, no mud, just go!

mtbr member
    This whole season has been amazing! Trails are in great shape. Just enough rain to keep the dust down yet dry enough where a lot of the usual wet spots are dry. Im on vaca next week and plan to ride everyday...

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Unreal. Lunchtime ride for me. Was pretty warm but I don't care.
    Monday morning ride in the valley, rob?

Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough. May even need the riding shell

Get out there everyone!

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Most awesome summer ever. Got new forks going on today, haven't had new suspension since 2001. Gonna ride some Stowe area single track that isn't on Strava yet, High of 66 forecast on Sunday, early color in the woods. Love this time of year.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Most awesome summer ever. Got new forks going on today, haven't had new suspension since 2001. Gonna ride some Stowe area single track that isn't on Strava yet, High of 66 forecast on Sunday, early color in the woods. Love this time of year.
    lol every stowe area singletrack is on strava. Inburno, Waterworks, The wall, the connector, (stuff above the connector), school street, airport trails, T and T, Mud City, haskins, and Tom Gs. I expect I am so much more core than you and you have no idea where I am going post. Getting a pike by some chance though?

The weather this summer has been awesome though. amazing almost everyday.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    lol every stowe area singletrack is on strava...
    You have my condolences on that

banned
    Sep 2008
    Right?

I just rode an hour singletrack loop that only myself and 3 others know about. And those 3 others only ride it when I take them there. But whatevs it's all good.

Have fun with the new fork Dave, fork tech has come so far, you won't know what to do with yerself!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

a ton of out lieing trails need more traffic to keep the brush back

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    lol every stowe area singletrack is on strava.
    ...and I know some folks who talk about wanting to punch you in the face for that. Should I correct you on all the trail names you just butchered? Nah. Y bother. You're more entertaining exclaiming you know everything while at the same time demonstrating you know nothing.

Not getting a pike. Not all trail in Stowe is on Strava. You know so much less then you think kid. You have no soul. No respect. No Cred. No Style. Awesome for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The reason I moved. People like Whacker moved in. Ride all the time. Do no work. Shark-jumped.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Strava=ghey. Using strava=more ghey. Just my opinion.

Tomorrow's looking nice for some dirt

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    ...and I know some folks who talk about wanting to punch you in the face for that. Should I correct you on all the trail names you just butchered? Nah. Y bother. You're more entertaining exclaiming you know everything while at the same time demonstrating you know nothing.

Not getting a pike. Not all trail in Stowe is on Strava. You know so much less then you think kid. You have no soul. No respect. No Cred. No Style. Awesome for you.
    because it was my doing? I do not make the segments on stuff off the map anyways and I am not the only one riding out there with a GPS on.

So i dare ask dave what is not on able to be found on strava? I mean if you name it, and it not up there I can not find it anyways. Heck even if it was GPSed trying to locate something you do not where it is on strava is nearly impossible. West Shaw Hill Road? The Wall? Bearclaw? Sunset Rock Trails? The trails behind Moss Glen Falls(I think skunk hollow) as far as I know everything in stowe has been ridden at least once by some with a GPS running usually I am never the first.

Please people who 'talk" about wanting to punch me in the face, come punch me in the face. I hate no one that much over such an irrational reason but if I did hate someone that much I most certainly would not sit here and type about it, id probably go punch them in the face. So please haters stop being such pussies I dare you to give me a reason to act in self defense myself.

I do not care about any of that it sounds very much like trying to be part of the cool kids clubs. Which I could do not care about, i just care about riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post

rog
    Ya know...I don't subscribe to absolute statements. I think Strava has it's place.
    We're working with a new guy on our crew and he's learning his way around Stowe on his bike. He uses it to put together good rides without getting lost or riding in circles in the hamster wheel Cady Hill Forest.

At the same time....people who don't understand that certain places should be left alone to be discovered in a more organic way can un-do a lot of work pretty fast.

There is a guide book being written for MTBVT. They have had a real hard time getting permission to publish a lot of pseudo-legal networks. The local riders are generous with showing people around, but they feel it's another issue to publicize and map. Strava takes that control away from the stewards of the trail networks. Any idiot with a smart phone and no local knowledge of landowner agreements or specific trail conditions suddenly has it all. For the Bushwhackers of the world it must be great. For the people who are struggling to keep trail open and in good shape despite user issues and landowner issues, an important level of control is being lost.

Entitlement generation. Nothing Earned. It's a shame for them that they will never experience true discovery and adventure. BC skiing in Vt is about to go the same way. That's when I move to Carabassette.

Rain today should give us perfect tack/tech tomorrow.

On a side note, how big a magnet would be needed to fry a smart phone from say 3 feet away? We've been brainstorming about how to solve the strava problem....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Good job!

because it was my doing? I do not make the segments on stuff off the map anyways and I am not the only one riding out there with a GPS on.

So i dare ask dave what is not on able to be found on strava? I mean if you name it, and it not up there I can not find it anyways. Heck even if it was GPSed trying to locate something you do not where it is on strava is nearly impossible. West Shaw Hill Road? The Wall? Bearclaw? Sunset Rock Trails? The trails behind Moss Glen Falls(I think skunk hollow) as far as I know everything in stowe has been ridden at least once by some with a GPS running usually I am never the first.

Please people who 'talk" about wanting to punch me in the face, come punch me in the face. I hate no one that much over such an irrational reason but if I did hate someone that much I most certainly would not sit here and type about it, id probably go punch them in the face. So please haters stop being such pussies I dare you to give me a reason to act in self defense myself.

Because you will never find them, I'll give you a hint. "No Strava Chics" is hidden somewhere off of the Sterling Valley upper loop. You are very close to the top of the Sterling lift after a nasty hike-a-bike up a long ridge. It's perhaps the best run in all of Vt. It has some big mandatory features that you won't hit anyway so you should just skip it really, you'll never find it.

I do not care about any of that it sounds very much like trying to be part of the cool kids clubs. Which I could do not care about, i just care about riding.
    It's about people who have been keeping their back yard trails for years with no help from new comers now having their stash outted on the intard net by some kid who feels entitled to it without earning it like we all did. Retro.....maybe. Rational.....maybe not. Real folks who are rooted in the community you feel so entitled to without pitching in actually vocalize this desire. In your town. You've really made an impression. Right above you list trails that have land owner conflicts and should not be brodcast. Like the Cochrans stuff. Nice one. I don't want to punch you in the face. I moved.

Besides, punch to the body. Knee/elbow to the head...all just to set up a take down where you can then use submission to finish. Wrestling wins.

banned
    Sep 2008
    just got a new flip phone. it even has a camera built in. my 1st one with that feature. smart phone/i phone/apps/strava/gps, f that s. just not into it. my wife keeps trying to talk me into getting an i phone. her dad keeps telling me he wants to give me his old one when he gets his new one. not interested. texting is horrible enough as it is. i finally recently had to give into that. fml.

finding stuff by taking unknown lefts and rights to see what goes and what doesn't is adventure. stava/gps is not adventure. strava/gps is certainty. there's no adventure in certainty.

carrabassett valley would be sweet. for all seasons. maine definitely has a different vibe than vermont. not a bad thing, imo.

rog

beer thief
    ...At the same time....people who don't understand that certain places should be left alone to be discovered in a more organic way can un-do a lot of work pretty fast...
    ^This^

Strava is a cool app and I can see the appeal and usefulness of it. The problem as I see it is some trails/networks are on private land with an informal verbal OK to use them. Landowners sometimes get nervous/reluctant when asked about putting these trails on a map. When these same trails get put on a map (w/o permission) that the world has access to, guess what, trails get closed. There are multiple examples in NH & MA (and other places) of land managers and anti-bike people getting on sites such as Strava, Garmin Connect, etc. and using that data against us. Be smart about where you use your devices and don't upload everything you ride.

Now back to your regularly scheduled weather forecast...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Weak...

rog
    Using "ghey" as a slur=uncool, homophobic. Not just my opinion, but fact.

Tomorrow looks nice for some dirt (for all).

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Using "ghey" as a slur=uncool, homophobic. Not just my opinion, but fact.
    one of my best friends is gay, we give each other **** for fun. get over it.

Tomorrow looks nice for some dirt (for all).
    agreed! maine tomorrow, n-con monday! yay!

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    How about this stop calling me names on the internet and Ill stop posting about off the map trails?

even with strava you have to be willing to get lost to find new stuff. Take Cady Falls Nursery for instance no matter how many people ride with a GPS there the trails are always going to be local only thing because there are no trail sign and it quite confusing to new comers . You have to put in the time find out there. I am honestly sure i am in possession of the best Stowe/waterbury/morrisville trail map out there it out of respect I keep it off the net though.

I also hate smart phones and have never owned one.....

I would help buiding the legit trails around here but in all honestly my improvement would be adding flow, and eliminating guide stones. Plus you think I am going to be on the same work crew as you? really? The trails around my house see some decent improvement by me. but just like you I do not post them on the net(well I did name them) because well I unsure of the land status.....

.....when I finish me new trail you are welcome to come try it.

I am basically sick of the super secret handshake stuff around here. The bias against me moving to this town was huge before I ever voiced any opinions on any message board. Apparently wearing spandex and pedaling fast gets no love.

So look I am 100 percent sure someone has mapped the "no strava chics" trail. Be nice and will not post it.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    BTW its pretty awesome out there right now get it before the T storms!

mtbr member

Entitlement generation. Nothing Earned. It's a shame for them that they will never experience true discovery and adventure. BC skiing in Vt is about to go the same way. That's when I move to Carabassette.
    Way to date yourself, Dave. Calling out an entire generation? Good one. Why don't we line up all of the 20 and 30 somethings and you can punch them in the face and then you can go ride all the single track you want by yourself. Lame, dude.

banned
    Sep 2008

I am basically sick of the super secret handshake stuff around here. The bias against me moving to this town was huge before I ever voiced any opinions on any message board. Apparently wearing spandex and pedaling fast gets no love.
    Based on how you handle yerself (like yer a 6 yr old) i think you'd have trouble moving into most towns.

Tomorrow is looking delicious.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    Way to date yourself, Dave. Calling out an entire generation? Good one. Why don't we line up all of the 20 and 30 somethings and you can punch them in the face and then you can go ride all the single track you want by yourself. Lame, dude.
    I don't want to punch anyone. I have listened to people talk about wanting to punch Bushwhacker in the face.

Ok how's this one..."every kid gets a trophy generation". That one's not mine, but fits. Hard work gets reward. Basic life lesson. Lost on a lot of kids who never learned the things you have to work hardest for bring the most gratification.

AND.....
    National Weather Service
    Last edited by DaveVt; 09-06-2014 at 07:11 PM.

banned
    Sep 2008
    what a forecast! stoked for morning

i wouldn't want to get judo chopped in the face by dave, just sayin

rog

mtbr member
    what a forecast! stoked for morning

i wouldn't want to get judo chopped in the face by dave, just sayin

rog
    So now we're judo chopping little leaguers, sweet.

School and work has brought my riding to a temporary screeching hault. Enjoy the weather.

banned
    Sep 2008
    I will make sure to make many many nice round smooth pedal strokes for you throughout the coming week.

Riding season is just about to get started.

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Based on how you handle yerself (like yer a 6 yr old) i think you'd have trouble moving into most towns.

Tomorrow is looking delicious.

rog

apparently threatening physical violence is more mature?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Having the trail I work on outed on Strava would not bother me at all - if I thought that people could control themselves and stay the F off of it when it's wet. For the most part, people do, but not everyone. I wish there was a way to put a Strava jammer on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Having the trail I work on outed on Strava would not bother me at all - if I thought that people could control themselves and stay the F off of it when it's wet. For the most part, people do, but not everyone. I wish there was a way to put a Strava jammer on it.
    We're thinking of recycling the magnets from old microwaves and building them into the trail so they fry electronic devices as folks ride by. Or just building actual expert trails that are so technical then new school flow riders will not want to ride them....like the ridge trail in Northfield. It's on strava but sees light traffic because it's too hard for the masses.

Epic...Whacker said all the mud city stuff is on Strava...your trail not?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    his trails are stravad but I did not make the segments, heck the first time I rode them I was not even the first GPS though there..... ......... He rode them on strava as well.

judging by the segments on his trails there are less people riding them than the ridge trail at Northfield. 15 last check on epic's trail, VS 57 on Goat Path, although I think the majority are from the enduro.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    his trails are stravad but I did not make the segments, heck the first time I rode them I was not even the first GPS though there..... ......... He rode them on strava as well.

judging by the segments on his trails there are less people riding them than the ridge trail at Northfield. 15 last check on epic's trail, VS 57 on Goat Path, although I think the majority are from the enduro.......
    The enduro didn't go up there, it stayed front side. They are probably all Noah and Matt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Epic...Whacker said all the mud city stuff is on Strava...your trail not?
    It's been on for like 4 years. It hasn't been the end of the world, but I'd still prefer that it not be. To be perfectly honest, once I saw that it was on Strava, I went and KOMed it.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    The enduro didn't go up there, it stayed front side. They are probably all Noah and Matt.
    Strava Segment | Goats path to log feature

57 different people, far more people than morrisville.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I wonder if the new illegal trail DH trails built on state land are on strava. The one at Perry Hill from that VT Loam movie just got reported to the state, and newest one from the top of the rapids. Really poor behavior by the youngsters knowing the areas are being watched by the state and still feeling like they can keep making whatever they want there. Bad timing in Waterbury particularly due to the death there last week. It took years to get in the door with the state. It could all be undone by this type of behavior in a hurry. I wonder if Whackers new trail is being built with permission. I hope he at least knows who's land he's on.

Not suprising that lot more people have ridden it. It's a legal trail tied into a University XC network, not someone's back yard. It was not part of the enduro course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If only all that energy could be harnessed into sanctioned trail building.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If only all that energy could be harnessed into sanctioned trail building.
    Our work site is open every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday for anyone who want's to help. The more volunteers we get, the more money will be saved on this project, and the more legal trail we could build. But no. We want to build illegally on state land because we feel.....wait for it.....entitled.
    Lame, Dudes.

banned
    Sep 2008
    apparently threatening physical violence is more mature?
    dood, yer from PA which tells me that you're good people, no matter what. PA people are unreal good people from my experience riding/hanging there.

but why on earth would you ever move from there where the riding is so good, to ride in vermont? oh right, the skiing. i get it.

the 6yr old part was more the back and forth about threats/calling trails out. dave didn't threaten you.

****, wifey's about to drive away without me. headed up to ride n-con tonight to ride tomorrow! 3k of climbing in the 1st 7 miles of my loop. can i get a WHAT WHAT?!

so stoked........

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Holy crap...I hope they are not having Strava Cramps in n-con tomorrow... I have not encountered that problem in my area of NH yet.. but we have not been listed as one of the 10 most "Awesome Places To Live In The World!" Have fun Rog, I don't think you will be trampled by the masses...

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    dood, yer from PA which tells me that you're good people, no matter what. PA people are unreal good people from my experience riding/hanging there.

but why on earth would you ever move from there where the riding is so good, to ride in vermont? oh right, the skiing. i get it.

the 6yr old part was more the back and forth about threats/calling trails out. dave didn't threaten you.

****, wifey's about to drive away without me. headed up to ride n-con tonight to ride tomorrow! 3k of climbing in the 1st 7 miles of my loop. can i get a WHAT WHAT?!

so stoked........

rog

yeah its for the skiing. Blue Knob, Laurel, Spring, moraine, Big Bear in WV and Davis, and all the flowly stuff near the burgh is really good as well, just not as much up or down.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    Holy crap...I hope they are not having Strava Cramps in n-con tomorrow... I have not encountered that problem in my area of NH yet.. but we have not been listed as one of the 10 most "Awesome Places To Live In The World!" Have fun Rog, I don't think you will be trampled by the masses...
    Been riding here (n-con) for 20 years and hardly EVER see anyone else on the trails. Super lonely, peaceful, and ripping

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    yeah its for the skiing. Blue Knob, Laurel, Spring, moraine, Big Bear in WV and Davis, and all the flowly stuff near the burgh is really good as well, just not as much up or down.
    Still a lotta vert. Blue knob, laurel, and Davis are so sweet. I love the flora and fauna. Got some wicked tech too. Rocks rocks rocks. Whole rides where you hardly ever touch dirt. The burg is killer too for city area singletrack. Boyce and whatnot. And mmmmmm 7 springs..........Fkna..........

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Awesome conditions today. First ride on my new forks. Love it for my style of riding. Supple, but there for the big airs. $450 for the Zocchi 55 rc3 evo ti on closeout. Coil sprung, open oil bath. Meat and taters. Mansfield Cycles rushed me so I could ride today. Yur the man Clifford. Perry hill tomorrow morning should be desolate. We are lucky folks for many reasons in New England. MTB being one of them.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Agreed. This weather is redonk. So tacky and perfect this am on the local dirt. 42 degrees tonight up here in the valley. Riding early. The 1st 35 minute climb will require a jacket. The next 45+ minute climb will hopefully be in a jersey if I'm lucky

Gonna hafta add air to the fat tires before heading out.........with these temps.......

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Still a lotta vert. Blue knob, laurel, and Davis are so sweet. I love the flora and fauna. Got some wicked tech too. Rocks rocks rocks. Whole rides where you hardly ever touch dirt. The burg is killer too for city area singletrack. Boyce and whatnot. And mmmmmm 7 springs..........Fkna..........

rog
    Do you just take like random trip places? North Park was my favorite but I lived in the south hills so more often than not went to South Park and Frick. Frick has come a long way in the past couple years.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Do you just take like random trip places? North Park was my favorite but I lived in the south hills so more often than not went to South Park and Frick. Frick has come a long way in the past couple years.
    Good morning

No not random trips. I had a girlfriend that is from Johnstown. She is quite the rider and now lives in Davis wv. Every time we'd go for family visits, the bikes came along and we'd find ways to ride every day for a week+ at a time. We'd car camp at blue knob state forest quite a bit. Rode laurel a bunch. The 24 hours of 7 springs race loop with a side trip out to 'the top of the world' was always cool. And wv, well that's just gods country down there. That whole Seneca rocks area blows the mind.

Time to suit up and get my climb on. Another perfect riding day on tap........

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    I always forget just how amazing that kettle ridge run is. Holy smokes. Found a bunch of new trail I've never seen in my 20 years riding here. Like riding through a hobbit forest with all kinds of bridges, dips, dives, and streams. No signs or trail markings anywhere. Nice to see no signs for kr either. Nice to just follow yer front wheel and see where it goes.......

Such a gorgeous day. Off to go for a hike with the wife and dog. SEPTEMBER!

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Took the day yesterday and headed up to the Carrabassett Valley trails. Climbed up to the Stratton Brook Hut from the valley and Rode the New Oak Knoll trail. Mind was blown. Sunny skies, Tacky loam, big berms and too much stuff to gap over. Easy way to forget about the world and enjoy what we live on. Followed by beers in the river.

Had to Commute in today because, well look outside. Another banger as I sit at my desk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sweet J. - a beautiful day for riding in a great string of Summer Fun...I hope somebody in Vt. is enjoying it...seems like a lot of contentious non-sense...happens in all the sports... just build it and every one will complain...does anyone ever stop to smell the roses, drink in the view, be thankful for access to the "great outdoors"- check it out on Strava... it's the Real World...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JQualey View Post
    Took the day yesterday and headed up to the Carrabassett Valley trails. Climbed up to the Stratton Brook Hut from the valley and Rode the New Oak Knoll trail. Mind was blown. Sunny skies, Tacky loam, big berms and too much stuff to gap over. Easy way to forget about the world and enjoy what we live on. Followed by beers in the river.

Had to Commute in today because, well look outside. Another banger as I sit at my desk.
    Nice. I'm headed there in 2 weeks to hang with my friend Dwight with whom I had my first paid trail gig with some years ago now. He took a job there this summer because, well, the scene around here was so scattered this spring he could wait for work. How cool is it that the town of Carrabassett has it's own trail crew? Looking forward to that ride and some big brookies on my fly rod.

Looking forward to working out on the trails for the rest of the week. Looks like a winner fer sure.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Nice. I'm headed there in 2 weeks to hang with my friend Dwight with whom I had my first paid trail gig with some years ago now. He took a job there this summer because, well, the scene around here was so scattered this spring he could wait for work. How cool is it that the town of Carrabassett has it's own trail crew? Looking forward to that ride and some big brookies on my fly rod.
    i gotta get up there. last time i rode up there was for the widowmaker challenge mtb race in 96'. even tho i live in maine, it's still a solid 3 hour drive. tough to justify with n-con only 1.5 hours. someday.

enjoy!

stoked to hit my local dirt in the am. chilly!

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Amazing morning for riding and trailwork. Doesn't get much bettah!

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Um, this mornings 2 hour perfect dirt jaunt was ridiculous. Best weather imaginable. 60 degrees, no bugs, no humidity, light breezes, and perfect dirt.

Git sum!

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Um, this mornings 2 hour perfect dirt jaunt was ridiculous. Best weather imaginable. 60 degrees, no bugs, no humidity, light breezes, and perfect dirt.

Git sum!

rog
    actually kind of chilly up here, first climb warmed me up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes yes and yes, the weather has been spectacular all summer. I had about 8 weeks off this summer (yes I'm a teacher) and was able to hit all the best spots several times. Plenty of days just driving around just riding Highland, N. Conway, STAB, Stowe area, NEK and tons of riding around Boston.

Next week looks like more of the same perfects temps and sunshine.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Unreal.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is this weekend Not the tops..I think I am back in Colorado but with way more color...if you are not having fun riding yesterday, today, or tomorrow, then find a new planet. I have not had a bad day of riding in Weeks!!

banned
    Sep 2008
    This weather is a precious gift to be sure. Cannot wait for the morning ride. Gonna be chunky!

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    umm, uhh, wow, just wow. how bout the weather today?!

where'd y'all ride today and how was it?

i stayed close to home and had a fantastic ride with a group 8 strong. the west winds were working hard to dry the roots n rocks nearly as fast as we were riding them. 3 hours of blissful techy trail. some stretches of trail will let you know how much or how little of a mountain biker that you really are. so good. huge props to the trail creators

brilliant temps too. wore a wind proof vest and knee warmers for the whole ride.

rog

mtbr member
    I'm wondering when and how we are going to pay for this gorgeous weather. To use a completely overused term. Epic.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    I'm wondering when and how we are going to pay for this gorgeous weather. To use a completely overused term. Epic.
    right?

and whattup with the 80% chance of rain today? i did a good hard ride yesterday am just so that i could do chores around the house while it was raining this am. nope, SUN'S OUT!

ah well, good day to rest the legs and lungs for tomorrow.

we will pay for this, oh we will pay. i just hope it's much warmer and less snowy on the coast this winter compared to the last two. leave the snow and cold in the mountains please!

rog

Wild-Eyed Rectum 'Recker
    right?

and whattup with the 80% chance of rain today? i did a good hard ride yesterday am just so that i could do chores around the house while it was raining this am. nope, SUN'S OUT!

we will pay for this, oh we will pay. i just hope it's much warmer and less snowy on the coast this winter compared to the last two. leave the snow and cold in the mountains please!

rog
    This day in 1902 it was 88deg in Burlington. ...also overheard noone paid for it, so we should just follow these trends.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

mtbr member
    umm, uhh, wow, just wow. how bout the weather today?!

where'd y'all ride today and how was it?

rog
    ate sh*t on steep wet roots on enchanted forest in htf....My body is ready for snow. New trail and new bike took 10 years of my life this summer. I wouldn't trade it for the world. *toothless smiley*

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    ate sh*t on steep wet roots on enchanted forest in htf....My body is ready for snow. New trail and new bike took 10 years of my life this summer. I wouldn't trade it for the world. *toothless smiley*
    ya steep wet roots. always interesting. no brakes go fast!

another beauty ride day on tap. time to go pack down more fresh leaves on the fatty

enjoy!

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    right?

rog
    Oh we will pay---Drizzle and 40 for 3 months when it is supposed to be snowing...Right now we are socked with another Blue Bird Day , no bugs , no humidity..Annual trip to Bear Brook...all great except for near collision on Big Bear with Asians on a Bus tour hiking/standing/taking endless pics...is NH the next Colorado?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    Oh we will pay---Drizzle and 40 for 3 months when it is supposed to be snowing...Right now we are socked with another Blue Bird Day , no bugs , no humidity..Annual trip to Bear Brook...all great except for near collision on Big Bear with Asians on a Bus tour hiking/standing/taking endless pics...is NH the next Colorado?
    heh. too bad we don't have sdough trail signage at bear brook! "safe for bicycles only" lol!

bear brook is so great, gods country.

fvcking brilliant day for a ride! got out for 2+ hours solo this am on the local trails. realized a connection to 60+ miles of trail is possible (now that the water levels have dropped) from right near my house. not including the 30+ miles in the other direction. just have to cross 2 roads to link the 60+, and a coupla short road sections to get the other 30. and my house is just 1 mile from the ocean. SURF N TURF!

SoMe, more riding than you can do in a week. and way more than that if you keep connecting stuff north. sick!

stoked for tomorrow mornings ride. the connection will be made.......

rog

mtbr member
    SURF N TURF!
    Sure is nice out there. Nice to be away from the interwebs out on the island all weekend. 56 miles of dirt road, singletrack, ancient ways, paved bikepaths. Sure was a damn nice way to spend Sunday. Didn't get out on the water though.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So tacky out there this A.M., and someone leaf blew the loop. Blazing fast again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Managed to do a 5 town MTB tour yesterday AM. Frosty and 31 at the start but finished in short sleeves. Blue Bird Banger day in Maine. Thank you Mother Nature.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Sure is nice out there. Nice to be away from the interwebs out on the island all weekend. 56 miles of dirt road, singletrack, ancient ways, paved bikepaths. Sure was a damn nice way to spend Sunday. Didn't get out on the water though.
    doesn't get any better than riding dirt on the vinyard. enchanting.

my ride begins at 3pm this afternoon. more leaf packing/exploring right from my door.

temps this week look VERY nice

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    74 and sunny today by the end of the day. It'll be a rough day working in the woods today. Spear ninja lines!
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...17369213434402

banned
    Sep 2008
    looking pretty smooth!

yesterday afternoon's 3 hour jaunt was a blissful adventure of every type of terrain this area offers. brand new singletrack, old singletrack, techy and not techy slickrock climbs/sidehills, and descents, old woods roads, some pavement, riding on the beach. high point of the ride was just under 700 feet above sea level, low point was right along the high tide line along the ocean. just 2 short road crossings to get up to the "mountain", which is 6 miles from the house.

amazing how much diversity can be had in just a few hours of riding.

right from the driveway

weather was 60 and sunny/partly cloudy. perfect

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    74 and sunny today by the end of the day. It'll be a rough day working in the woods today. Spear ninja lines!
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...17369213434402
    looks sick loving the ninja lines on Snake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    I think the "payback" is starting--I live in Central NH...2 inches of rain Thursday, showers Friday morning, raining this Saturday morning with more to come in the pm, blustery and cold Sunday with snow on the higher peaks...then next week a possible stalled nor'easter for 3 days off the coast!! Throw in the timing of falling leaves and hunting... It was a beautiful run but in New England the weather always balances things out.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yup, gonna get a bit wet. Thank goodness for trails that drain faster than the rain can come down. Stoked for more leaf riding. Don't blow em, ride the organic matter into the trail. All we do is take away. Let ma nature put it back and LEAF it there.

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    sorry rog but organic matter does not make trails less prone to erosions. There are MTB trails in pittsburgh that are leaf blowed every year that are basically exactly the same as they were 10 year ago(they are 20-30 year old in cases) with far more traffic on far wet days than here or where you ride.

Personally I do not mind dry leaves. but when they get wet, or worse when the leaves are icey it sucks, no traction. Leafs also keep moisture in.

Also not to mention on some trail people take other lines when they have no idea where the line is. There for causing trail braiding. Probably not a problem on your uber secert stuff, but on stuff that is more than just locals it is a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    wet leaves on rocks make for an interesting time. going to rain here into the weekend. and got snow yesterday in the higher elevations. winters on its way.

banned
    Sep 2008
    We'll hafta disagree on the whole leaf thing, j-man and that's ok. I rake a brand new trail in once. That's it. With wifey in labor I did manage to go home for an hour and a half to "feed the dog" which I did, then I suited up and stood on the pedals hard for my one hour long singletrack loop. THICK with leaves. If you didn't know where some of the trails were, you wouldn't find them. Just another perfect condition for the fatbike. Makes inches deep leaves ride like hardpack. Trails are bone dry. So good. Back to the house, quick shower, pound an IPA in a few sips, eat a whoopie pie, feed the dog and back to the hospital before the baby drops out into my hands. Stoked! What a day for a ride!!!!

rog

Wild-Eyed Rectum 'Recker
    Model day for you Rog - only way I can compare is when my rush-shipped front fender gets here after coming home from a day at the shop. This n' a Beer will have people just swear we're twins. Enjoy!

banned
    Sep 2008
    ENJOY WE WILL!

i swear she muttered "rigid singlespeed"

passed out in daddys arms this morning.

headed out for a nice slippery leafy rocky rooty contortion to stay upright blissfest on the fatty in the rain before heading back to the hospital. a leaf packing we will go!

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ENJOY WE WILL!

i swear she muttered "rigid singlespeed"

passed out in daddys arms this morning.
    rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

thanx, E! come ride with me!!!

so how bout this weather today?!

soon as i saddle up, the rain turns into a light mist to cloudy. trails were tasty. just wet and slippery enough to make the riding somewhat real. like take every wet rock and root cluster as square as possible and with speed and no brakes. 3.8 tires @ 9.25psi is definitely an advantage though over skinny tires and suspension, imo.

leaves continue to flatten, wet days are good for packing. no mud, no water.......sigh.

back to mama and baby!

rog

Wild-Eyed Rectum 'Recker
    ...and I have gotten my front fender. There's QR thumb tabs which could be made to bip around on the strut parallel with the ground. So I took a worn M guitar pick and made it into shims for each side.

Not the same as being a loving Dad, those are new Fenders for me however.

Great picture there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You had a girl....payback is a *****...
    Congratulations Rog. Meaning of life stuff right there.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Thanx Dave

She's quite the wiggle worm. Super strong too with a vice grip hands.

Meaning of life fo sho. Kinda wet today, yeah?

Good ole nor'easter. Yum.

rog

mtbr member
    Congrats Rog!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
    Congrats Rog!
    Thanx my friend!

Surf Friday?

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanx, E! come ride with me!!!

rog
    Love to if I had two day in a row off. Almost ten years now and the only way I get that is to take vacation time. Unfortunately you're just a bit outside my range for a day trip.

You had a girl....payback is a *****...
    Congratulations Rog. Meaning of life stuff right there.
    Heheh, I have twin daughters. What did I do to deserve that

banned
    Sep 2008
    actually i wanted a girl a bit more than a boy right from when we started trying. don't know why, i just did.

i'll be back down waterbury area again i'm pretty sure for those meetings come march/april.

maybe we'll hook up then. i'll be like 3 hours closer to you. hmmmm which bike to bring lol!

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Good news for you, you're not really needed for many weeks yet. Keep the house clean, the fridge stuffed. You're 3 months away from being useful beyond that. Hope for early snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    actually i wanted a girl a bit more than a boy right from when we started trying. don't know why, i just did.

i'll be back down waterbury area again i'm pretty sure for those meetings come march/april.

maybe we'll hook up then. i'll be like 3 hours closer to you. hmmmm which bike to bring lol!

rog
    Bring your skis. Spring pow on deep, low elevation base. Peak to creek.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Bring your skis. Spring pow on deep, low elevation base. Peak to creek.
    There was snow on north facing last spring down there. But it was epic fatty crust cruising. Too bad I was sick as a dog. Awful.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Good news for you, you're not really needed for many weeks yet. Keep the house clean, the fridge stuffed. You're 3 months away from being useful beyond that. Hope for early snow.
    Oh my wife doesn't let me get off that easy. I mean I can still surf and or ride every day for an hour or so which is actually plenty for me 9 times out of ten since I never really have days where I don't surf or ride throughout the whole year, but the windows of opportunity will definitely be more limited, but that's ok. Having beaten myself up pretty good for close to 42 years, I could use some chill time here and there. Recovery, imagine that? At least that's what I've been trying to tell myself

Good god is she precious. Holy smokes.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    holy rain batman. my bridges will once again serve a purpose

rog

beer thief
    What!? You have a wife AND a child? Congrats Rog, very happy for you.

I was watching the Kennebunk web cam yesterday, the surf was smoking!

I guess we got all the rain this week that we didn't get for the past couple of months.

banned
    Sep 2008
    What!? You have a wife AND a child? Congrats Rog, very happy for you.
    thanx! been a big year Rob!

a coupla more:

her 1st trip to the brewery at a bit less than 4 days old! nice to have my beer drinking buddy (wife) back!

setting out for our 2.5 mile r/t walk to the beach, along the beach and home today before heading to the brewery.

I was watching the Kennebunk web cam yesterday, the surf was smoking!
    yup, i got out this morning for 1.5 hours while mama and baby slept. perfect surf, perfect winds, good power, and very uncrowded.

I guess we got all the rain this week that we didn't get for the past couple of months.
    yes. stoked to hit the local trails tomorrow. should be perfect tacky fast and all soaked into the ground

anytime you wanna ride down this way……..soooooo much stuff!

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Congrats Dude!

banned
    Sep 2008
    thanx josh!

killer morning for a ride! trails were perfect and the streams are full again. the bridges i have spanning the larger stream were just high enough where the tires stayed dry.

trails were nice and packed from the riding last week and all the rain seemed to have tamped down the leaves. i did have to stop here and there to move trees/branches from the trail from the storm.

nice to have zero mud or standing water after multiple inches of rain.

anyone else get out in this perfect weather today?

headed out for a hike with mama and baby

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Season is almost over. Sure has been a good one. I spent a good piece of it working on (and sometimes riding) this trail.

banned
    Sep 2008
    season almost over? why? it is only just beginning.

tomorrow morning should be perfect.

sweet vid!

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, there is rifle season starting tomorrow and then ski season. Probably still get in some night rides for a few more weeks though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That piece of land is hunt free.

banned
    Sep 2008
    that's always nice.

mmmm, 33 degrees crisp and breezy this am. leaves are starting to get nice and flat packed. was in only a partial hunt free zone. no hunters seen. love these riding temps.

the next week is lookin sweet.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you mean Norwich?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yep love this time of year especially if you have hunt free zones. Unfortunately it might be another week or so until I get to ride again. I got this and don't have a hitch on it yet for a rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Do you mean Norwich?
    no..most of scorpion is private land that should not be hunted.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yep love this time of year especially if you have hunt free zones. Unfortunately it might be another week or so until I get to ride again. I got this and don't have a hitch on it yet for a rack.
    such a cool car. Ashame its not a lift back though..

banned
    Sep 2008
    huh, wow i didn't realize that it was a suby. what model is that?

killer morning for a ride. left the house and it was 32 degrees. got back and it was waaaaaay warmer. wish we had these temps year round. riding doesn't get much better

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    BRZoooom So much fun and it gets 30+mpg. I have a hitch on the way so should be able to transport my bikes again by this weekend.

bushwacker - Yeah sort of but part of the design of the interior is to be able to put your track wheels/tires inside the car so there is plenty of room to get a (ONE) bike in there.

Yup cool mornings, warm afternoons and perfect nights. Skeeters are mostly down for the year and the leaves seem to have blown off most of the trails already because it was a pretty dry fall overall. Everybody is getting all psyched for cold and snow but I want riding season to go on forever this year.

banned
    Sep 2008
    cold/snow=the best riding season my friend.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    What an afternoon chasing the sun down the ridge. It was fun riding in the dry leaves but I'm glad we are pretty much fully leaf blown. Everything is super fast with unlimited sight lines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yup, sweet day. I went and rode the Town Loops today with the hordes.

beer thief
    I went for a walk with a Pulaski. Does that count as getting out?

banned
    Sep 2008
    perfect ride day. left work for 2 hours to enjoy jersey/shorts riding.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I went for a walk with a Pulaski. Does that count as getting out?
    "I am the sanitizer!"
    Counts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Shorts today and Frozen Tundra riding on tap for the weekend. Time to dig out the winter shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I thought I could beat the rain this morning. I didn't. I kind of miss riding in the rain. Slippery can be fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    First turns of the season under blue skies Saturday morning and a fast, dry, leaf free night ride on empty trails last night! I love November.

beer thief
    "I am the sanitizer!"
    Counts.
    I prefer to think of it as defining a narrow line. Keep it single!

banned
    Sep 2008
    I prefer to think of it as defining a narrow line. Keep it single!
    Truth! Just say no to dirt sidewalks!

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the clearing the trails. I like narrow lines too.

Heading up to Sunday River later. Going to get out on the snowboard and fat bike for the first time this winter. Yeehaw! Great weather!