Route Recommendations for KT- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    431

    Route Recommendations for KT

    I'm going to KT for a few days this Thursday. I'm aware of the land use issues but have never been to the area so I'm flying blind. My plan is to do 3 or 4 12-20ish mile rides between Thursday-Sunday. I was going to upload some GPX routes to my Garmin but according to Trail forks most of the routes I'm finding look like they go through restricted areas. Can anyone give me some recommendations or local intel? Any chance someone has ride/routes that they've done recently that they can share with me?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    322
    1- go to East Burke
    2- go pay access fees
    3- ask for itinerary
    4- go ride!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: likeaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    894
    They staff at KT really are great at recommending routes. Where are you staying? Also, where are you from? VT still has visitor restrictions in place.

    https://www.healthvermont.gov/respon...veling-vermont

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    267
    Start at Welcome center (downtown).

    - Climb up Burnham Down (Burnham Up!)
    - Exit on Mountain road and continue climbing road to Burke Mountain Campground
    - Climb up Camptown (singletrack in campground) until you pass mountain road again.
    - There is the entrance to Dead Moose Ally > onto > Parrs Yard > onto >Wilder's Way
    - Ride road slightly until you get to McGill Fields > onto > Moose Ally
    - Cross road then dip into White School > Farm Junk > Good n You > Sky Dive > Nose Dive > back to White School > Pete's Pond

    You are now back to Downtown. Eat lunch.

    Climb Uptown and ride whatever trails are still open on Darling Hill. I like the stuff on the climbers right side of Darling Hill:
    -Pound Cake, Pastoral Point, Fenceline, Coranary.
    - Then of course make your way to Old Webbs, Sidewinder, Bear Back, West Branch.
    - And course you need a picture at the chapel. 270 degree view of NEK.

    Nothing is too hard or technical, it's just how fast you want to go, and the atmosphere, and scenery are second to none.

    KT is a real fun place. I like combining Mountain Side first, then finishing up day on Darling Hill.

    Good luck! You will love it.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: River19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Start at Welcome center (downtown).

    - Climb up Burnham Down (Burnham Up!)
    - Exit on Mountain road and continue climbing road to Burke Mountain Campground
    - Climb up Camptown (singletrack in campground) until you pass mountain road again.
    - There is the entrance to Dead Moose Ally > onto > Parrs Yard > onto >Wilder's Way
    - Ride road slightly until you get to McGill Fields > onto > Moose Ally
    - Cross road then dip into White School > Farm Junk > Good n You > Sky Dive > Nose Dive > back to White School > Pete's Pond

    You are now back to Downtown. Eat lunch.

    Climb Uptown and ride whatever trails are still open on Darling Hill. I like the stuff on the climbers right side of Darling Hill:
    -Pound Cake, Pastoral Point, Fenceline, Coranary.
    - Then of course make your way to Old Webbs, Sidewinder, Bear Back, West Branch.
    - And course you need a picture at the chapel. 270 degree view of NEK.

    Nothing is too hard or technical, it's just how fast you want to go, and the atmosphere, and scenery are second to none.

    KT is a real fun place. I like combining Mountain Side first, then finishing up day on Darling Hill.

    Good luck! You will love it.
    This is a pretty solid suggestion as is the "ask the KT folks for recommendation".
    2019 Nukeproof Scout 290
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: likeaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Start at Welcome center (downtown).

    - Climb up Burnham Down (Burnham Up!)
    - Exit on Mountain road and continue climbing road to Burke Mountain Campground
    - Climb up Camptown (singletrack in campground) until you pass mountain road again.
    - There is the entrance to Dead Moose Ally > onto > Parrs Yard > onto >Wilder's Way
    - Ride road slightly until you get to McGill Fields > onto > Moose Ally
    - Cross road then dip into White School > Farm Junk > Good n You > Sky Dive > Nose Dive > back to White School > Pete's Pond

    You are now back to Downtown. Eat lunch.

    Climb Uptown and ride whatever trails are still open on Darling Hill. I like the stuff on the climbers right side of Darling Hill:
    -Pound Cake, Pastoral Point, Fenceline, Coranary.
    - Then of course make your way to Old Webbs, Sidewinder, Bear Back, West Branch.
    - And course you need a picture at the chapel. 270 degree view of NEK.

    Nothing is too hard or technical, it's just how fast you want to go, and the atmosphere, and scenery are second to none.

    KT is a real fun place. I like combining Mountain Side first, then finishing up day on Darling Hill.

    Good luck! You will love it.
    I agree with this except I would exit Burnham drop back to the base lodge and ride Shire up to Camptown. This eliminates much of the road riding up to Camptown.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    431
    Thanks Guys. We are staying in a cabin at GNS Properties off 114, it says we can access the trails right from the property. Is that worth doing? Or is it better to just drive to a main trailhead?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Start at Welcome center (downtown).

    - Climb up Burnham Down (Burnham Up!)
    - Exit on Mountain road and continue climbing road to Burke Mountain Campground
    - Climb up Camptown (singletrack in campground) until you pass mountain road again.
    - There is the entrance to Dead Moose Ally > onto > Parrs Yard > onto >Wilder's Way
    - Ride road slightly until you get to McGill Fields > onto > Moose Ally
    - Cross road then dip into White School > Farm Junk > Good n You > Sky Dive > Nose Dive > back to White School > Pete's Pond

    You are now back to Downtown. Eat lunch.

    Climb Uptown and ride whatever trails are still open on Darling Hill. I like the stuff on the climbers right side of Darling Hill:
    -Pound Cake, Pastoral Point, Fenceline, Coranary.
    - Then of course make your way to Old Webbs, Sidewinder, Bear Back, West Branch.
    - And course you need a picture at the chapel. 270 degree view of NEK.

    Nothing is too hard or technical, it's just how fast you want to go, and the atmosphere, and scenery are second to none.

    KT is a real fun place. I like combining Mountain Side first, then finishing up day on Darling Hill.

    Good luck! You will love it.
    After Nose Dive, don't you have to hit the Upper or Lower Pond Loop to get to Pete's Pond? I'm looking at the map, but we always get a little confused in that section.

    Also, does anyone know if the Welcome Center is open?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: likeaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    After Nose Dive, don't you have to hit the Upper or Lower Pond Loop to get to Pete's Pond? I'm looking at the map, but we always get a little confused in that section.

    Also, does anyone know if the Welcome Center is open?
    I think the OP of that route was assuming you would connect the dots and not have to get too specific. I think upper pond loop is better. Even better is to take Wares Davis, White school, Herbs and then up the road to Pastoral point area.

    The OP is staying on 114. Do mountain side, lunch, Darling hill side. Heading out flower Brook area is also a great option.

    Not sure about WC. KT requires you to purchase pass online I think.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Even better is to take Wares Davis, White school, Herbs and then up the road to Pastoral point area.

    The OP is staying on 114. Do mountain side, lunch, Darling hill side. Heading out flower Brook area is also a great option.
    Yes, Forgot about Ware's Davis. That is a much better option then Pete's or Pond trails. Some beautiful scenery in Ware's Davis.

    I haven'y been up there since last Spring. May need to head up on Saturday for some miles.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

  11. #11
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,900
    Spend some time at East Haven aka Moose Haven. Climb Haul Road to top, loop Swamp Donkey back to top (don't descend all the way to Flower Brook Rd) then drop Black Bear all the way down. Climb back up to top of Stormin' Norman, descend to bottom. Rinse and repeat.

    Flower Brook Trail (not to be confused with Flower Brook Road) is well worth doing from East Haven to East Burke and you can add in White School, Farm Junk, Sky Dive, etc. on the way to town.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Spend some time at East Haven aka Moose Haven. Climb Haul Road to top, loop Swamp Donkey back to top (don't descend all the way to Flower Brook Rd) then drop Black Bear all the way down. Climb back up to top of Stormin' Norman, descend to bottom. Rinse and repeat.

    Flower Brook Trail (not to be confused with Flower Brook Road) is well worth doing from East Haven to East Burke and you can add in White School, Farm Junk, Sky Dive, etc. on the way to town.
    Love the trails in East Haven! We did the Flower Brook trail from the Burke Campground last year. It was very cool. Long ride though, especially if you do a couple laps in East Haven. We tend to have more than 1 car up there, so we leave a car in town for after the big ride, we can drive back up to the campground.

    Also, check out Moose Deuce. We liked it better than Moose Alley.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    35

    obvious, probably, but also, use the map...

    Even with the big middle section of Darling Hill off limits, there's plenty to ride at KT.

    Get a map -- they have them online now -- and you can also get one on the app Ondago, which is more official than just Trailforks.

    Think in terms of sections. You could do each section as a "ride" or combine 'em into something more "epic."

    On Darling Hill, the southern end could be called the Chapel Section. Do all of the trails starting with NewT (at the Wild Flower Inn) and work your way downriver (the West Branch) until you've done Bear Back. Then cross the road and do the Jaw/Knob stuff. That's about 15 miles.

    Northern End has the Coronary section. Do all those trails and it's prob 8 miles. Make sure to get Harp, which is across a different dirt road.

    The Burke Section. has the Camptown-Dead Moose Alley-etc etc-Moose Alley. You can climb all the way up the mountain using Burnham Up and Shire, or you can shuttle and park at Burke Mt. Resort and then get into Shire or Camptown.

    The White School Section is somewhat self-contained and is another 8 or so miles if you do all the trails. You can also connect this with Moose Alley (which I put in the "Burke" section) and/or the Moose Haven section (below). I like to finish this section by crossing the street (E. Darling Hill Rd, the paved one) and hitting Herbs (up) and Kitchel (you can do Beat Bog too)

    East Haven has the Moose Haven section. You could just drive and park there. If you climb the Haul Road (it's a fireroad, and it's pretty long) twice, you'll get about 10-12 miles depending on how you put things together. Ask the dude (ambassador) in the parking lot for tips, but make sure you go all the way to the very top of Black Bear, where you'll find a new gazebo in a field. (see other post that suggests going up to Swamp Donkey first)

    have fun!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    431
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys! We rode almost 75 miles over 4 days, I rode most of the trails you guys suggested. A couple of my favorites were Moose Alley and Dead Moose Alley, New T, Bear Back, and J Bar. We did all of our rides right from the cabin and didn't even touch my truck until we drove home yesterday morning. We will definitely be back!

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone here done the Swiss route 5 (Mittelland Route)
    By Ecurb_ATX840 in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2015, 09:49 AM
  2. I guess the weather gods hate me, they don't want me to go to KT
    By fda47 in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
  3. Rescue at KT info??
    By guitrmn in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 07:37 AM
  4. A Place To Stay at KT
    By RIP9Man in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 05:05 AM

Members who have read this thread: 82

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.