riding near Lovell, Maine?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

riding near Lovell, Maine?

I'm trying to figure out if there's any riding anywhere in Lovell, ME. I'll be staying near Kezar Lake for one night and would like to get a ride in if there's anything nearby. Singletrack would be great, but I'd settle for some long fire road/jeep trails. Otherwise, I'll bring the road bike. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

(fyi, not interested in heading over to the N. Conway area as I'll be there the week after, maybe checking out the downhilling on Mt. Washington)

CB of the East
    I've done a lot of riding south of there in the Brownfield area up to RT302 in Fryburg. You are pretty close to Pleasant mountain which has a lot of trails around it. There is also Mt Tom which is even closer on the north side of 302. Burnt Meadow Mountain and the surrounding area has a lot of trails up and around it too. There are 2 very rough dirt roads into Brownfield Bog.

I don't have any experience quite as far north as Lovell but all the things I mentioned are close. Bottom line, I think you can find some good riding. I'd probably skip the road bike. Most of the roads are kind of crappy or skinny up there.

The trails around pleasant mountain are your best bet.

Moderator Moderator
    It's been >10 years, but I found an 1865 penny out that way riding an abandoned town road/snowmobile trail. Looped up with logging roads. Pick a big block on the ME atlas (with few roads), look for a snowmo crossing sign. and explore.

icanseeformiles(andmiles)
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ...I'd probably skip the road bike. Most of the roads are kind of crappy or skinny up there...
    Enjoyable road biking around there, also, Chatham Rd on the West side of Kezar Lake is pretty nice, avoid Highway 5, tho.

Nice back roads heading towards Sweden and Waterford with some steep sections.

btw, I live in the NH side of the MWV, but work in Fryeburg; there are some pretty serious roadies in Lovell.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    To differentiate riders by the type of surface frequented is IMO the height of foolishness.

banned
    Sep 2008
    used to live in west bethel and did all kinds of nutty 50+mile rides all over the place out in the big woods. one ride i'd do would start in west bethel and end me up in lovell on rte 5 after riding over some mountain with great views through a notch in between. can't remember the name of the mountain, but there was a lake nearby. quite a good slog from what i remember. was late for a 3pm work shift one time

rog

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Rm80Co View Post
    Enjoyable road biking around there, also, Chatham Rd on the West side of Kezar Lake is pretty nice, avoid Highway 5, tho.

Nice back roads heading towards Sweden and Waterford with some steep sections.

btw, I live in the NH side of the MWV, but work in Fryeburg; there are some pretty serious roadies in Lovell.
    Good to know. I was thinking of sections of Rt302 and Rt113 with no shoulder and tractor trailers zipping by at 60. Not a favorite. The roads north of Rt 302 are much less traveled for sure. I've wanted to take 113 through Evans Notch but never have. Some good climbing there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, bros. I checked out some local roads on the mtb and climbed up Mt. Adams and checked out the old Evergreen ski area. Evergreen Valley
    Not killer mtb trails, but the views were top notch.

And btw, I'm a big fan now of the VT NH ME forum. It's like the wild west here. I want to be there when the 2 guys from VT set up their 1 on 1 race.

Ok, now any chance of me finding trails in Ossopie NH?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Thanks for the replies, bros.
    Anytime - but one of your bros is female.

Members who have read this thread: 0