Thread: Riding in Maine

mtbr member
    May 2011

Riding in Maine

Hello New Englanders!

I have been "guilted" into joining my large (10 adults/11 kids,none mine) family for our annual summer trip, and this year we are staying on Lake Sebago, Maine.

I live in Durango, CO and train/race at the elite level. This trip is July 4th week, right in the middle of my racing season.

I am looking into bringing a bike to keep me sane and have been looking on your local NEMBA site for trail info. Unfortunately, I won't have access to a car, so all of my rides will need to start end on the north end of the lake.

My questions for you are:
    1) How is the mountain biking on the closest places: Libby Hill Forest, Jugtown Forest, and Blackstrap? Can I ride there on roads and be ok?
    2) Am I better off bringing my cross bike and riding roads/dirt roads/trails if they are easier/smoother?
    3) Are there other areas that may be near me that are worth checking out?

I'm looking forward to checking out a new part of the country, any info/advice is always appreciated. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    With no car access, mountain bike "training" will be difficult. You'll have access to snowmobile trails, old roads, etc, and can have fun exploring and poking around in the woods but there aren't many easily accessible trail networks from the north end of Sebago. Try calling Singletracks shop in Naples, maybe they have a different opinion:

Singletrack Cycle Shop

Riding a mountain bike to try to access the coastal mtb networks would be fairly miserable in my opinion. Busy roads, long haul on pavement. If you had a car and could drive to Conway, you would be all set, plenty of great single track with elevation there.

Better to bring your cross bike and some road tires and spend your time exploring the Raymond hills to the east, over to Douglass Mtn on the west side of Sebago, and especially north into Evans Notch, Hurricane Mtn, Bear Notch Rd, Kanc, etc. Plenty of great road climbing and dirt roads to explore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It will be a long haul from N. Sebago to Blackstrap or Libby.....but as an endurance racer that is what you are looking for isn't it? I ride my MTB on the roads (for endurance training) regularly around here. There is some traffic on certain roads, but it's not horrific by any means.

If I were in your shoes I would probably bring the cross bike and put in some big rides around Sebago. There is some great road riding and gravel roads around....and it is not flat. It's not Colorado, but everything is very punchy. If you have time for some big efforts I would head over into New Hampshire and ride some of the notches; those will bring some solid suffering.

EDIT: not sure why I thought you were an endurance racer......but anyway....my comments remain unchanged. i assume you are still looking to maintain/gain fitness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here's an example of where Portland road riders go when they want to ride the hills east of Sebago:
    Ramond Loop From Mabel Wilson | Strava Route

Most important thing about the Sebago area is to try to never ride on Rt 302, almost every other road will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions, this clears up my suspicions about hard-to-access trails.

And yes, wgerow, I am indeed an endurance racer. Got a 100-miler in Telluride about one week after getting back home. :/

Sounds like the cross bike will get to enjoy some nice green roads in the Northeast!