Northfield VT... - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    One of my favorite trails is now better!

I have been riding the Irish Hill Ridgeline Trail from Darling Road to the Hawk Watch (and sometimes all the way to the Shaw Center) for years. The route was never completely rideable in the reverse direction because of the steep hill just north of the T intersection above the old Poor Farm field and below the saddle between Irish and Paine. Painful even to push a bike up that hill in Sidis (I only did it once).

I remember reading some time ago that Dave Packie was scouting a route from the Irish ridgeline directly to the saddle. When I read about the big ride from Shaw to Berlin and back with a mention of some having to push up the Loop Trail but no mention of pushing up the climb above the T intersection (which is way steeper), I realized that the new trail must now exist, so a friend and I went looking for it the other day. The route is now completely rideable in both directions. Thank you, Dave!

I'm way curious about the low route Dave mentions in his post . I have a low route on the east side of Irish Hill. Is the route mentioned (Industrial Road/Car Battery Trail) on the east or west side of the ridge?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VtMountainbiker View Post
    One of my favorite trails is now better!

I have been riding the Irish Hill Ridgeline Trail from Darling Road to the Hawk Watch (and sometimes all the way to the Shaw Center) for years. The route was never completely rideable in the reverse direction because of the steep hill just north of the T intersection above the old Poor Farm field and below the saddle between Irish and Paine. Painful even to push a bike up that hill in Sidis (I only did it once).

I remember reading some time ago that Dave Packie was scouting a route from the Irish ridgeline directly to the saddle. When I read about the big ride from Shaw to Berlin and back with a mention of some having to push up the Loop Trail but no mention of pushing up the climb above the T intersection (which is way steeper), I realized that the new trail must now exist, so a friend and I went looking for it the other day. The route is now completely rideable in both directions. Thank you, Dave!

I'm way curious about the low route Dave mentions in his post . I have a low route on the east side of Irish Hill. Is the route mentioned (Industrial Road/Car Battery Trail) on the east or west side of the ridge?
    East side. Not complete yet but you can ride the dirt road to the Poor Farm, now the Sample Farm and ride up through their hay fields (they are totally cool about it, just not during rifle) to the car battery. Then drop over to the west side and tie in to the PMT network that comes up from our side. If you can believe it, my friend, on here as JDubb did climb to the summit from the car battery...and pedaled the entire thing. Just not human. We plan on re-doing that route with the low road as the return. I'll PM you when we do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'd like to see the reroute, too (or help). Just so I could say I made the climb most of the time (1/1).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Stuff is running sweet over here. Trying out a new kid-assist climbing system. Got a 12 foot retractable dog leash and clipped it onto my pack...then around my boy's head-tube. We climbing in over a mile to his favorite trail with only 2 short portages. Worked much better than I thought it might. Then it was time to drop in! Love riding with this guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-2016-08-29-11.05.30-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Slate Ave. behind my kid. His favorite trail.
    https://youtu.be/LGTI2oR7iA4

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Slate Ave. behind my kid. His favorite trail.
    https://youtu.be/LGTI2oR7iA4
    Dude, your son is ripping. Well played dad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice Dave! Nice narrow singletrack too. Kid's keeping up the tempo! I think my son would have a blast on that trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Nice Dave! Nice narrow singletrack too. Kid's keeping up the tempo! I think my son would have a blast on that trail.
    Yea, it's a great trail for beginners. For me it's a fun, non-tech rip that I usually end my rides with. It's got a couple great features, a couple fun airs, and gratuitous speed! It's burned in so well, and uses old slate roads and some raked lines to avoid wetness.

Here's an older vid from when it was just starting to ride fast and flowy. Took a couple years to really get there from when we cleared it, then about 20 hours work to get the finished product.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSBURPTd_dk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That is sweet trail Dave. I remember watching that a few weeks ago, I think I linked to it through another vid you put up...and thinking, dude, I would have gone the wrong way about 15 times! Are the old narrow bench areas where the slate roads were?

What I like about that trail is it is totally organic. Like it just grew out of the ground.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    That is sweet trail Dave. I remember watching that a few weeks ago, I think I linked to it through another vid you put up...and thinking, dude, I would have gone the wrong way about 15 times! Are the old narrow bench areas where the slate roads were?

What I like about that trail is it is totally organic. Like it just grew out of the ground.
    The first 2:35 is a raked line that is just above the natural bench that the slate/farm road utilized. It is a bit wet, so I rerouted to stay high. After 2:36 it's just a blur-fest. Wee.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    After 2:36 it's just a blur-fest. Wee.
    You ain't kidding, ha!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hunting season is here. The Paine Mtn Trail should not be used with the exception of mid-day. I think it's fair to take a lap at that point. Please stay away from the upper trails, upper Mtn. Feel free to use the PMT to get to the Ridge Trail located off the Barker Rt, white to blue blaze on the PMT network. Everything south of Barker is NU land, and is likely hunted, but technically part of the Shaw Center so if you're out around noon, it's a good bet you won't be hassled. Everything is leaf blown/raked. Please be sensitive to trails thawing out after the over night freeze. Please stay off the Slate Trail until after the rifle season ends. See ya next year!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thought I had shared this here. Single track continues to grow....off the back side. From off the Goat Path you can continue to drop another few hundred vertical down to the old Kingston Rd on a trail we're calling Pony Express. It's actually 2 intertwined tracks. The DH ends on an old vast trail. Turn left and go up about 100 feet and you will find Phil's Trail...the climb back up to the Ridge where you can continue your ride. Also, a single track off the true Summit of Paine that feeds into the Goat. Super fun, technical. Adds a good fun half hour or so to the full loop. More trail to add on the back 40....time is what I can't find. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-rvO-SxZs
    Sunday we're riding out to Irish Hill trails and back. Leaving the Shaw Center at 10.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 08-02-2017 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    11 Riders set out, and 10 completed the Grand Tour this year. The functional inter-connectivity of the South and North end of the Paine Mtn massive has been greatly improved. 20 miles (30 last year) and about 4500 vertical feet were the stats. We climbed the PMT to the Old Industrial Turnpike. We hit the saddle north of the summit and picked up the Dr.Wag trail north. Once past the tower in Berlin we hit the Loop Trail to Punisher. Rode Punisher, crossed Darling rd and out to Crosstown Rd to beers and snacks. Back in to Boyer and out to the Brookfield rd , we headed south enjoying the view of Berlin Pond before heading back up into the Berlin Town Forrest and picking up the Poor Farm Connector Trail, recently re-claimed. Up through the hay fields on the Old Industrial Turnpike, this time west bound, we stayed left on the Summit trail and all riders eventually found their limit. Once on the Summit we dropped in to the Northfield Network...Summit, Goat, Ridge, Pond, Orange. Amazing day to be out. Awesome to ride with old friends and new. Work will continue on this route, but I think it was greatly improved this year and much more attainable then previous routes. Thanks to the folks who have been helping with this project over the years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    DaveVT - bumping this because I'm hoping to find the connector trail from Irish Hill to the trails at Norwich. Been looking at some maps - looks like I start at the Irish Hill lot, ride up Darling Road/trail, take the next left up to the Berlin Pond lookout and does the connector trail go from there?

Thanks man. Looking forward to getting into those Northfield trails soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    DaveVT - bumping this because I'm hoping to find the connector trail from Irish Hill to the trails at Norwich. Been looking at some maps - looks like I start at the Irish Hill lot, ride up Darling Road/trail, take the next left up to the Berlin Pond lookout and does the connector trail go from there?

Thanks man. Looking forward to getting into those Northfield trails soon.

Hard to find route right now. If you know Irish Hill, and go up and in off of the old Darling rd higher up....that single track almost touches the Loop tr...we have a cut-thru there. Punisher? Otherwise, you're on the right track. Once you go left off Darling, I believe the trail (jeep rd) splits again. Vermontmountainbiker tells me the left fork is an easier climb to the tower.

From there start south on the Jeep rd, and peel off right on the 4 wheeler tr after the first steep drop.....follow that for a bit. You'll go up, under some sap lines....some trail splits off and drops down but stay on the ridge over a couple of peaks. At one point while enjoying a pretty fast section of ridge running there will be some pretty obvious rock work on your right. If you miss it you'll quickly know it as the trail you're on drops off the ridge precipitously. Follow the faint trail until you end up on another 4 wheeler trail going left, or right. (There is a car battery on the ground at this intersection.) Go right and drop down a short ways...around an old wire fence, the stay left. (pretty overgrown) You will soon start traversing on grassy wheeler trail. Some slight climbing and descending brings you to the top of the "Rock Garden" section of the Hawk Watch Loop in Northfield Town Forest.

If you don't know our trails and Irish you could be in for a tough time. If you do, a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the concise directions, Dave. I'll do some exploring this week, should be an adventure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    At the Shaw Center we completed a small skill development track. A short climb gains access to the track that introduces new riders of any age to the features they will encounter while riding the Shaw Center trails. A steep drop-in leads to linked berms, a small table-top, and several pump features. On the way back some low speed balance features and a manufactured "Rock Garden" help develop balance. A great place to work on bike/body separation, neutral/ready positions and good habits in terms of posture and a rider's ready state. Open to the public. It's a great place to hang out with the kids while a parent goes to rip a lap or two. The Center is open noon to 5 daily and has facilities open to the public. Bathrooms and water. Northfield is riding great. Our last trail work of the season will be Sunday the 22nd at 10. See ya out there.
    PS....VTsesh....how'd the exploration go?

beer thief
    Sounds fantastic, Dave. What a great facility for you and your boy! Looking forward to visiting again

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    At the Shaw Center we completed a small skill development track. A short climb gains access to the track that introduces new riders of any age to the features they will encounter while riding the Shaw Center trails. A steep drop-in leads to linked berms, a small table-top, and several pump features. On the way back some low speed balance features and a manufactured "Rock Garden" help develop balance. A great place to work on bike/body separation, neutral/ready positions and good habits in terms of posture and a rider's ready state. Open to the public. It's a great place to hang out with the kids while a parent goes to rip a lap or two. The Center is open noon to 5 daily and has facilities open to the public. Bathrooms and water. Northfield is riding great. Our last trail work of the season will be Sunday the 22nd at 10. See ya out there.
    PS....VTsesh....how'd the exploration go?

I did a bit of exploring a couple weeks ago after your post starting from Irish Hill. Basically, I followed the Darling Rd Trail up, went left and up towards the cell tower. The climb was steep and longer than I expected. I eventually got to the top, went down a bit and found a well established trail that (I assume) continues towards Northfield. I didn't have quite enough day light to follow it but I'm confident I can now make the a big route to Norwich and back. Instead I followed the loop down and rode the long loop in Irish Hill. It made for a decent ride.

Thanks for the directions again. This will make for a big ride once I connect it all. I'd like to do it in the coming weeks but I'm sure the trails are covered in leaves by now so I may have to wait until the spring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I did a bit of exploring a couple weeks ago after your post starting from Irish Hill. Basically, I followed the Darling Rd Trail up, went left and up towards the cell tower. The climb was steep and longer than I expected. I eventually got to the top, went down a bit and found a well established trail that (I assume) continues towards Northfield. I didn't have quite enough day light to follow it but I'm confident I can now make the a big route to Norwich and back. Instead I followed the loop down and rode the long loop in Irish Hill. It made for a decent ride.

Thanks for the directions again. This will make for a big ride once I connect it all. I'd like to do it in the coming weeks but I'm sure the trails are covered in leaves by now so I may have to wait until the spring.
    You're on the right track. From the signal tower you start to head south and stay right after one steep little hill. That well-used 4 wheeler trail stays on the ridge over 2 more sub-peaks and under some sap lines. The trail then drops precipitously down the east side. Just before that you will (would have) seen some rock cobbles that mark the entrance to the DRWAG trail. That new and hard to follow single track leads to the car battery in the saddle just north of the summit. A right turn there brings you down a bit...past 1 left...around a wire fence...then make the next left on the grassy 4 wheeler track that takes you to the hawk watch loop. It will be hard to follow the DRWAG trail specifically right now, but it would be an easy bushwack for about 2/3 a mile to the car battery. GL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Dave!
    Thanks for the route suggestion yesterday. Absolutely loved the singletrack up top and orange for the down. Nice to meet you and easy to see the passion you have for trail building. We did a 6 spot 3 day tour and Northfield was definitely a highlight!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    What a stretch of weather. Peak to creek in a sea of leaves.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqZw...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I made the decision this year to not do any leaf removal on the hand built trails. As the organic top layer has been removed we are on to the roots and rock and the trails were running much more chattery then when new. A week ago it was a sea of leaves and the trails were hard to follow. As of yesterday everything is rolled down into a golden ribbon...as jdubb noted....an awesome texture....like riding in saw dust. The lines are tightened back up and many smaller features that were causing trail creep are hidden so folks are staying on trail more. Machine built will get blown off but our primitive trails are running great and reverted back a few years in terms of width and ride quality. Observing the leaves getting burned in so quickly has also made me realize how much traffic has jumped again this year. We need more trail!

Live Free & Ride
    I made the decision this year to not do any leaf removal on the hand built trails. As the organic top layer has been removed we are on to the roots and rock and the trails were running much more chattery then when new. A week ago it was a sea of leaves and the trails were hard to follow. As of yesterday everything is rolled down into a golden ribbon...as jdubb noted....an awesome texture....like riding in saw dust. The lines are tightened back up and many smaller features that were causing trail creep are hidden so folks are staying on trail more. Machine built will get blown off but our primitive trails are running great and reverted back a few years in terms of width and ride quality. Observing the leaves getting burned in so quickly has also made me realize how much traffic has jumped again this year. We need more trail!
    Thanks for sharing this and your Youtube videos DVT! All of it has me itching to get back up to VT where NE best riding (almost) is to be appreciated. Pretty wet here right now in NH all over, but the golden, dry ribbons will soon be here and ready to roll on. Actually like it slight wet as it makes for a more challenging, albeit nerve rattling, romp through the foliage. We do need more trail...its never quite enough!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Thanks for sharing this and your Youtube videos DVT! All of it has me itching to get back up to VT where NE best riding (almost) is to be appreciated. Pretty wet here right now in NH all over, but the golden, dry ribbons will soon be here and ready to roll on. Actually like it slight wet as it makes for a more challenging, albeit nerve rattling, romp through the foliage. We do need more trail...its never quite enough!
    Ha, we used to say everything else was just practice for fall riding.
    Ten years since I fled Stowe and the impending storm of sales and marketing that has infested that and many other spots in VT.
    Virtually stopped riding to build and found very little help. Now a town that had no real single track has, as a trail builder I rode with yesterday said, the best trails in the state. I hesitate to agree as the builder but it makes me happy.
    Also, a hand full of people manage to show up for a few hours a month to help. A local bike shop guy even made it to the trail party last week!
    With the backbone of a trail system in and riding sweet, the next phase will be the best parts I think, as my skills have evolved, and some terrain I have been eyeballing for a decade is finally in the fore.
    Happy Shedding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ha, we used to say everything else was just practice for fall riding.
    I hesitate to agree as the builder but it makes me happy.
    Welp. I'll second the nomination for best trails. Thanks for sweet tour, JD!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub4516 View Post
    Welp. I'll second the nomination for best trails. Thanks for sweet tour, JD!
    Thanks JW. With less than 20 miles It's hard to claim that title. Really barely worth the drive from anywhere outside barre/montpelier. With Millstone so close...and the Valley, Paine is barely worth a mention save for a few compelling moments here and there....also kind of a conservative town so bitter locals are a real issue. Beware. 🙄

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does Northfield close at all for hunting season?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The Shaw Center trails do not. The main climb up to the trails beyond the machine built do. Also, our trails are wet right now. Until things are frozen, our clay soils are very sensitive to use and erosion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I bought a new frame yesterday. I've been riding a hand-me-down Peyto Wild Bill from 2002ish for the last 8 years. It finally cracked. I'll fix it, but the cost of stripping, repair, and refinish on such an old frame almost equals picking up a "New" old stock frame on closeout. I went with the budget Chromag.

On researching the frames I found at a price I was willing to spend, I came to a review with nice glossy photos and this one really bugged me. I build a lot of trail and get paid to work on some of my local trails. Anyone who is committed to this type of thing spends a lot of time fighting trail creep anywhere a root or rock starts to poke out of the tread.

It is astounding what riders will do to avoid a bump, a root, a rock. When I started riding the point was to ride over everything you could. Now....for many many riders....AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Why Mountain Bike? Why choose to ride off of a prepared surface? You're #ucking ruining it. Tight, twisty, featured trail. That is the ideal. Stay on the damn line. When I look at the picture below I see a really nice feature. On a nice steel frame I imagine a slight un-weight and feeling the pop of my back tire initiating a moment of flight. An instant of float as my tire traces over the surface with as light a touch as a painters brush....a surgeon's scalpel...like the tip of a finger reading poetry in braille.

Instead....They leave their mark in the fauna. They push the edge of the trail out. They widen the track into some blown-out whore-version of what once was a tight, magical ribbon of virgin delight... calling us deeper into the lush, loamy forest where anything might happen.

WTF?

Please consider that our trails die by a thousand cuts. Every rider choosing the path of mediocrity, of stasis, holding on to a lack of skill and therefore an abandonment of personal progression.

Please. If you find yourself making such poor choices of line...find an easier trail. Go flow bro. If you have made the choice to ride a bicycle on trails that present a challenge, take that challenge head on. Confront your fear. Progress. Fall. Fail. Give yourself the opportunity to grow, to progress as a rider, and a person.

STAY ON TRAIL FerChrisSake. I don't want to fix your mess, and you're not fully understanding that you are, in fact, ruining the experience for the rest of us....and causing folks like me to clean up after you instead of building more new, cool $#!T to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-chromag-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like he's 3' in the air to me and it's hard to see where the trail actually is. As far as your rant; I agree. The fun is sticking to that twisty 6" ribbon of trail that someone took the time to create and ride it for what it was meant to be.

Monkey
    Indeed, hard to tell if in the air or avoiding main line.

But 100% in agreement with sir Dave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Indeed, hard to tell if in the air or avoiding main line.

But 100% in agreement with sir Dave.
    His back tire is clearly on the ground...and clearly way right of the trail.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Haha his rear tire is jamming into a root off of the trail while he is trying to avoid the roots ON THE TRAIL. So classic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Please consider that our trails die by a thousand cuts. Every rider choosing the path of mediocrity, of stasis, holding on to a lack of skill and therefore an abandonment of personal progression.
    I was riding down near Boston this past weekend and noticed some trails that were singletrack are now wide enough to drive a Jeep on them. This is how that happens.

banned
    Nov 2017
    I was riding down near Boston this past weekend and noticed some trails that were singletrack are now wide enough to drive a Jeep on them. This is how that happens.
    Parts of the Cape are the same way, even worse there's newer braids all over going around this tree and that rock that never used to be there a decade or even a few years ago. It's bad.

TOT is especially bad. The local Chapter has more members than ever yet trail maintenance is far lacking from what I see. They seem to have plenty of meetings and group rides, but...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Parts of the Cape are the same way, even worse there's newer braids all over going around this tree and that rock that never used to be there a decade or even a few years ago. It's bad.

TOT is especially bad. The local Chapter has more members than ever yet trail maintenance is far lacking from what I see. They seem to have plenty of meetings and group rides, but...
    You're spot on about most MA area NEMBA chapters.

I rode around Boston for over 10 years and was amazed about how many members local NEMBA chapters had and how little they did in terms of trail work or advocacy. Their usual plan was to build a bridge or pick up trash, have a pizza party, then an enormous group ride, then post about it Facebook for the next 3 weeks. This happened about once a year. It was pathetic.

I also caught SE MA NEMBA members cutting roots and digging rocks out the trail at Wompatuck, using their membership as a justification for "fixing the trail" when I asked what the hell they were doing. Drove me insane.

I've only been living in VT for less than a year but I'm beyond impressed on how active my local VMBA chapter is. I've done a decent amount of riding amount in ME and NH and it appears they've got their sh!t together too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I cut out roots sometimes. Working in Waterbury years ago I sent an entire day on Spear/Rasta cutting them out. Probably cut out 500. No one even noticed. I don't consider it "Sanitation" all the time. With primitive trails, if they are not overused a lot of roots will stay underground. The trail will have sections of buff, fast rolling fun. Once the dirt starts to get blown off by overuse, or on sections that I have anticipating a slight bench wearing in I will then go back and cut out *some* roots to prevent the trail creeping down the slight side slope, and take a few extraneous roots that are causiung users to widen the trail....most importantly where a rider is generally weighting or pumping through a compression.

I would not take out any part of a major root system. If I route a trail near enough to a larger tree to have them exposed, I wanted them there. In that case I'll try and implant some rocks and rebury the roots with dirt and crushed rock, leaving a few of the most choice roots just exposed, and they were when the trail was just raked in.

It's an effort to maintain the quality of the trail is it was when it was first ridden in. Trails that turn into continuous rooty messes are not what they were intended to be in general. They probably existed for a while as nice packed trail with enough roots to keep it fun, but also a definitive line. When the average user has moved off to the edge of the trail for long sections, I have found recreating the smoothest path back on the original trail becomes the default technique, and it's probably a restoration of the ride-quality, as long as you're not making the tread the low spot.

At the same time, I would never remove any roots that are a significant feature and while riding, no matter how lumpy and awkward they feel, I make a point to take them right in the center.

May seem to contradict my above rant, but every situation is different, and this is a good example of why it's difficult to train people to do trail work. Everyone wants set rules, nbut it's about how it feels on the bike, and what the original vision, and version were.

banned
    Nov 2017
    One thing I often see is trailbuilders or groups will try to "fix" an ongoing issue instead of just simply closing off and burying back to nature, then creating a new trail/section in its place. So much easier and less time consuming oftentimes.

When I used to create new trail on the Cape with NEMBA in the 90's we always buried the old to create the new. Now from what I've noticed they just create the new and leave the old open so now you have braids of confusion all over the place. Cmon guys do it right or don't do it at all.

beer thief
    I cut out roots sometimes. Working in Waterbury years ago I sent an entire day on Spear/Rasta cutting them out. Probably cut out 500. No one even noticed. I don't consider it "Sanitation" all the time. With primitive trails, if they are not overused a lot of roots will stay underground. The trail will have sections of buff, fast rolling fun. Once the dirt starts to get blown off by overuse, or on sections that I have anticipating a slight bench wearing in I will then go back and cut out *some* roots to prevent the trail creeping down the slight side slope, and take a few extraneous roots that are causiung users to widen the trail....most importantly where a rider is generally weighting or pumping through a compression.

I would not take out any part of a major root system. If I route a trail near enough to a larger tree to have them exposed, I wanted them there. In that case I'll try and implant some rocks and rebury the roots with dirt and crushed rock, leaving a few of the most choice roots just exposed, and they were when the trail was just raked in.

It's an effort to maintain the quality of the trail is it was when it was first ridden in. Trails that turn into continuous rooty messes are not what they were intended to be in general. They probably existed for a while as nice packed trail with enough roots to keep it fun, but also a definitive line. When the average user has moved off to the edge of the trail for long sections, I have found recreating the smoothest path back on the original trail becomes the default technique, and it's probably a restoration of the ride-quality, as long as you're not making the tread the low spot.

At the same time, I would never remove any roots that are a significant feature and while riding, no matter how lumpy and awkward they feel, I make a point to take them right in the center.

May seem to contradict my above rant, but every situation is different, and this is a good example of why it's difficult to train people to do trail work. Everyone wants set rules, nbut it's about how it feels on the bike, and what the original vision, and version were.
    Spot on, IMO. Rake & ride trails that are publicly used often turn into ever widening root mats. Defining a good line, usually dictated by the prevailing speed, by cutting some of the roots helps keep the singletrack narrow. For tech sections where roots are part of the experience, armoring between roots can work really well and protect the trees. I rode in North Vancouver about 15 years ago and many of the steepest features were just armored root balls.

beer thief
    You're spot on about most MA area NEMBA chapters...
    I don't have personal experience with "most MA chapters" but the folks of the North Shore NEMBA chapter do kick ass work and don't Facebrag about any of it. Pretty much all of the newer tech trails in Harold Parker were built by them.

Sounds to me like you're stereotyping a large group of people and throwing the organization under the bus. Not cool

The Riddler
    agreed with all points here, but not sure that photo best represents going off trail. more like a faster line choice (depending on how you look at the photo) that still utilizes the existing track. more generally, you can't have it both ways: "ride the roots! but only where i want you to ride the roots!" also, it seems like that huge log is doing plenty to maintain the perimeter of the trail on that side.

there has to be some room for interpretation and certainly not every trail is constructed perfectly or to everyone's definition of manageable "speed."

also, the NEMBA-VT comparison is missing some key points...

mtbr member
    It could simply be a case of a photo shoot trying to optimize the angle of the shot to show the frame. When the shot was taken(facing the oncoming rider) from the right side of the trail the rider is on the left of the trail tread. When taken from the left side of the trail the rider is on the the right side of the trail tread. Maybe not the best example but your point is taken. We have all seen trails with more braids in the them than a pretzel stand at Fenway Paaak! Play Ball!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's Youtube. Ever watch GMBN, for example? Find the fastest line is the mantra.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Summer is in full swing here. Trail days once a month and this Sunday 9-12 we have one. We will be cleaning up our most out-lying trails. If anyone wants to get a lay of the land and figure out the connection between here and Irish Hill, join us.

If you ride here and have not yet put in some time...come on over. More obscure trails and some new trail will get cleaned up. 9 a.m. at the main lot...wrapping up at noon. Probably a casual ride after lunch.

No dig, no ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-silasdigstrailwork.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had 3 new trail projects on the list this summer. This one, extending the DH from the Summit, was going to be the most intensive. Water, mud, benching, and this cool gap I found years ago. We don't have a ton of natural "Coolness" in our landscape so locating interesting features and linking them has been the deal. Ridges, small cliff bands, and natural undulations that deliver a pump track feel without all the ridiculous excavation.

I put the bike down 2 weeks ago and have held myself to a No Ride rule until this piece was done. It'll probably end up being as many hours as the next 2.5 projects I tackle this year. 75-100 hours counting the scouting and hiking the route several times. Maybe 2000 linear feet. One more day of work and it'll probably be "Open".

This should be a fun one.

Also found an old spring box that had filled in near the old homestead foundation. My dog wallows every time we pass it.
    Buffed it out and went over it with a stone culvert. I think it's gonna ride fast and techy.

Planning the Tour de Paine for August 5. 4th will be the rain day. We'll leave from the med. Center lot, ride over to Irish Hill and back. We'll have a car drop with supplies. Ride leaves at 10. Be there at 9 if you want to put some stuff in the car for lunch. Half way point will be the Berlin Pond Lot for the Irish Hill trails if you feel like leaving your own vehicle there. 5-6 hours. 25-30+ miles. 4500-5500 verts. All are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-slabgap5.jpg  

Northfield VT...-slabgap1.jpg  

Northfield VT...-slabgap3.jpg  

Northfield VT...-slabgap2.jpg  

Northfield VT...-slabgap4.jpg  

Northfield VT...-springtrail.jpg  

Last edited by DaveVt; 07-20-2018 at 04:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    13 brave souls faced the heat and humidity yesterday for a tour of Paine. The ride has been shaved down slightly every year from over 30 miles to 20 miles and around 4000 vert this year. With the weather yesterday it was brutal. A few riders, myself included were hanging on by a thread at the end. I've never experience both hamstrings cramping at once. It was awful. Can't wait for next year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tour de Paine...always worth the trip. Wish I had time for the apres. Thanks, Dave!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Piece by piece....we're making a respectable Loop. George and I are talking about next year. More woods, less imposs-a-climbs...Starting and Ending in Berlin. Couldn't be happier with the condition of the trails on this end. Also, I'll never go down Beast again. Anti-flow is nice from moment to moment but that trail was a bit much. Until next time...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The new piece of trail below Pony Express is running nice. Be tweeking it as it burns in but it's running pretty nice right now. Loose loam barely raked trail. Fun. The climb back out is cleared as well and needs traffic.

Currently "Pony Express" ends on a vast trail (grassy road). Now you can flow straight across onto the Kingston Trail. It crosses, then pops back out on the VAST. TURN LEFT and go about 50 feet and go back in on the left. It drops another 150 vert over about 2000 linear feet and ends on the Kingston rd extension, off 64 not far from the Berlin Pond rd. Once there turn left and start climbing the washed out road. After 2-3 minutes, right as the road get's decidedly steeper go right over the old stone wall by the big Maple. This single track called the Pot Raspberry trail climbs up through old pastures for a half mile and rejoins the VAST. Turn LEFT and pedal through the Pot Raspberry field picking up VAST in the south west corner and Phil's which climbs back up to the ridge trail and the top of Pony Express.

From the bottom of Pony Express it's maybe 20-30 minutes back to Phil's depending on how many raspberries you eat....or pot you smoke I guess. The DH from the Summit to Kingston is 990 vert. On to the next bits, enjoy the new trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20180829_202247.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Built the option for the Gap Jump, and other little pieces of rock work on Kingston. I think it's done?! Needs laps..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20180831_122030.jpg  

Northfield VT...-20180831_122009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Built the option for the Gap Jump, and other little pieces of rock work on Kingston. I think it's done?! Needs laps..
    k. I'm in. when you thinking?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    k. I'm in. when you thinking?
    Missed ya this morning. Next weekend.

beer thief
    That looks excellent, nice work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Happy Halloween.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-thumbnail_20181022_095002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm always ready for the next season. A fantastic season of Pow Skiing has turned the corner and we're heading for Spring. If you ride here and want to help with clean up and a couple new projects, hit me up on email. Dpackie at hotmail dot com. Please be kind to our saturated clay soils early on. Trail conditions are best assessed by using the dog river gauge.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/vt/nwis/uv?site_no=04287000

I've been watching the gauge and observing trail conditions through rain events and spring thaw for a couple years now. When the gauge drops below it's 75th percentile of it's average for that date, we are basically good.

Another way to put it is when the gauge appears GREEN, YELLOW, or RED, we are dry enough to ride. When it appears BLUE or BLACK, we are saturated.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/vt/nwis/rt

There are many other useful surface water gauges thoughout the state and region. I encourage folks to check them when they ride certain networks, particularly when they feel like they were *just* dry enough, or *just* too wet to identify a correlation. This practice could go a long way in mitigating the frustrations of arbitrary closings, or abusive use when volunteers can not assess conditions in person. Someone more skilled could even create an automated application utilizing exiting usgs data and probably sell it to the current overlords of trail access.

Anyway...looking forward roosting and boosting on the local goods. See ya out there.
    Happy Spring!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqZw3TstXiU

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Long range forecast is looking warmer than expected. I know it is still mid-March but its going to be interesting to see what late winter/early spring brings us for weather. As much as I love ski season, I won't complain if the snow starts receding soon and some trail clean up can begin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    New Map with last year's addition and the correct names and suggested directions. More to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20190510_112247-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ridge, Pond, Orange, Slate Ave trails all clear of blow downs. We're gonna rake Slate Ave Wednesday with Youth Build, and everything is looking sweet. NOT raking on the Ridge and Pond trails is working out awesome. They are now 7 years old and about 10 inches wide and have morels and forget me knots growing out of them. Letting the organic matter get ridden in every fall works is you have enough traffic. Hope to get out to the Goat Path and the east side of the ridge this week. The next 2 weeks will be magic in the woods. The explosion of ground cover before leaf out is always shocking, and the long views off Paine are nice. Geddit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So, pretty well dried up now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    West side and summit. Pony Express and Kingston might need another week.

Green lights on the surface water map.
    https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=vt
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-13-2019 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Things are gonna be wet early this week. Some fresh dirt on Slate Ave Trail might be soft, and the new lower section of Pony Express down to Kingston Rd is still super wet so please stay off that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Got an email....town forest will be open to development of MTB trails. 600 ares in total, starting this month. ALSO, Norwich is in the planning stages of developing a XC recreation center and renovation of the old ski area base buildings on 600 adjoining acres....pretty stoked. Anyone interested in helping with the contruction of the town forest trails, pm me. The local VMBA chapter (Northfield Trail Assn.) will be helping the town plan the network and build the trails. The potential here is HUGE. 1200 acres that also ties into Berlin TF and Irish Hill currently being developed by the Montpelier VMBA chapter. Many hands make light work.
    dave
    10 year update. Nrthfld trail system offers 3-4+ hours of great and challenging riding. Irish Hill also continues to grow and evolve with probably a good 2 hours of single track. The two trail systems are interconnected via an old 4 wheeler road along the Paine Mtn ridge. Riding everything consists of around 30 miles and 6000+ vertical. A few more tweaks, and another lost trail to reclaim will continue to make this route more viable and a little less committing. The hours invested personally are countless and the riding from town is, IMO, exceptional. Small work groups go out at least monthly. E mail me if you like to ride here and want to contribute. dpackie at hotmail dot com.

The best route for the full tour of the Nrthfld end is as follows. Park downtown at the common. Ride up Slate Ave by the Post Office to the end, and past the gate. Climb the Slate Ave trail. Climb the Paine Mtn trail following signs for the Hawk Watch. Once on the ridge, go left and climb to the summit. This is about 4 miles and 1600 vert. From there take the single track down the way you came up and stay on the ridge to the Hawk Watch Shelter. Take the Goat Path single track and stay left and drop down Pony Express, cross the VAST trail, and drop down Kingston trail to the class 4 road. That is about 2 miles and drops 800 vertical with no pedaling. Climb the class 4 road and look on the right for the Pot/Raspberry single track which is brand new. Climb this to the VAST and turn left. Ride through the Pot/Raspberry field and up the vast and climb Phil's trail on the right, that merges with and crosses Pony Express a couple times. Stay left near the top and connect to the Ridge single track. Turn left and ride 2 miles to the Block at the top of the old ski hill. Take Orange trail to the Secret trail to Yellow to Green. This drops 900 vertical with no pedaling. Cut through to Green north and climb up through the Slate Quarry, out to Cheney Field and find the Paine Mtn trail in the north east corner. Climb this trail 1 mile to the stream crossing. Turn left on the Slate Ave trail and rip down to your car parked next to the Beer and Coffee spot. Slate Ave trail drops 800 vertical with no pedaling. Uphill. Downhill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20190510_112247-2-.jpg  

Northfield VT...-20180829_202247.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This is absolutely wonderful stuff. Would not have imagined it when I moved out of central VT in 2010. Thanks to everyone who made and is making this possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVBxYBT-6A
    Dropping into Pony Express off the Ridge,spliced in old footage of Pony, then down through Kingston. About half the DH from the summit down the East side, still some finish work to do down low.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 06-21-2019 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fancy footwork avoiding catastrophe on that rock gap, Dave! Nice work!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Fancy footwork avoiding catastrophe on that rock gap, Dave! Nice work!
    The lead-in is a work in progress. The bottom turn coming off the steep section up above is still benching in. As of right now it's little off camber and you can't really rail it and carry all your speed. Trying hard to make that landing had me nose heavy and I slipped a pedal. Ended up with a nice shin-gina out of it. Almost threw a few stitches in it, but couldn't find my kit. It'll leave a nice scar.

Monkey
    3:07, you running gears now? ;o)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Got to ride these trails for the first time today. That red ridge trail off paine hill is freaking amazing. Orange was pretty awesome too. Nice work here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    New (Old) trail (re)opened on Paine Mtn. George's Trail is a reclaimed old industrial road that takes you from the Paine Mountain Trail just above the Rock Garden section out to the saddle north of the Paine Summit. From there you can pick up the DrWag single track and head out the ridge. After about 3/4 of a mile stay right and pop out on the main Ridge trail heading north and continue to ascend to the First Sister Peak of Paine. From there you will see the entrance to the single track heading back down the way you came. The route is a climb out to the peak, and mostly DH back to the PMT... about half single track, and half ripping fast ancient road much like some of the Slate Ave Trail. It will add about 30 or 40 minutes to our network and starts you on your way to Irish Hill with a much more forgiving climb to the Ridge.

You could hit it on your way to the Paine Summit. It's faint, and hard to follow at this point. The most notable turns not to miss...Finding the trail is a little tricky. At the top of the Rock Garden, the PMT turns right and flattens out a bit. There is an obvious double track heading north. This is NOT it. Proceed up the PMT for a few moments and look closely on your left, immediately past a mature hardwood for a faint trail entrance. It climbs up past a small soggy spring and quickly becomes a well defined old double track that climbs steadily. After several minutes you will start to go down hill......attention....a few seconds into the DH, some sticks across the double track steer you in on the right and onto a short primitively benched section of new trail that takes you to the saddle. In the saddle go in left at the car battery. This route needs traffic, and is a work in progress. Go hit it...the return south to the PMT is a fun rip.

If you start your ride in Nrthfld downtown, and climb Slate Ave and up the Slate ave trail, and ride everything, we are looking at over 4 hours of great riding here in Nrthfld.

Recently we have been given access to a few hundred acres of private land to the south of the Shaw Center. After building a much-needed berm on the Goat Path reroute in the next week or two, some expansion of more primitive trails to the south, starting at the rock berm on Green (south) will expand our riding options further, and tour through some more cool slate quarries and old farm fields.

Should have some riding over there by the fall. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20190716_105346.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the work you have done in Norwich! Really enjoyed the extension of pony. Just keeps getting better!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    New short loop built....sort of. Some more very raw, loamy, side-hill trail to ride as part of the new out and back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20190716_105346_li-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've exploring your trails more the past few weeks, Dave, and I'm impressed more each time I ride there. Keep it up.

Monkey
    First visit to Northfield yesterday. Truly impressed! Brought me back to the feel of Stowe and Perry Hill early 2k. Hand drawn map came in handy to navigate. Flow is incredible. Thank Dave!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I got out yesterday for some work and finally cut out all the trees on the new (old) stuff. George's trail (northbound) and the Cross trail(southbound). Had a big group of maybe 6 come through when I was almost done....just after they passed I moved down trail and my dog got lit up by ground hornets. 'Tis the season. Hope Loneranger and his crew didnnt get stung. If you ride this route....be first.

Monkey
    I got out yesterday for some work and finally cut out all the trees on the new (old) stuff. George's trail (northbound) and the Cross trail(southbound). Had a big group of maybe 6 come through when I was almost done....just after they passed I moved down trail and my dog got lit up by ground hornets. 'Tis the season. Hope Loneranger and his crew didnnt get stung. If you ride this route....be first.
    Dave, are you for or against having all trails on Trailfork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Dave, are you for or against having all trails on Trailfork?
    I'd prefer to keep the gps private. I'd like this place to not become Perry Hill as of 2019. Leaking out routes via hand drawn maps is not the same as posting to such sites. I'd like to think we maintain a sense of obscurity which adds to the feeling of exploration when people ride here. That has always been an exciting part of MTBing for me. Over-mapping, signing ect can take that away from the trail users.

Monkey
    I'd prefer to keep the gps private. I'd like this place to not become Perry Hill as of 2019. Leaking out routes via hand drawn maps is not the same as posting to such sites. I'd like to think we maintain a sense of obscurity which adds to the feeling of exploration when people ride here. That has always been an exciting part of MTBing for me. Over-mapping, signing ect can take that away from the trail users.
    Exactly my feelings! I had such a blast navigating with the hand drawn map. Like the good 'ol days. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Exactly my feelings! I had such a blast navigating with the hand drawn map. Like the good 'ol days. Thanks again.
    Yes Sir. It was always an integral part of the experience of traveling to new networks to ride to collect information, hunt out the single tracks, and visit a few times to figure out the routes that make sense. Also the excitement of stumbling upon that new trail, still a carpet of loam....or maybe bumping into a regular on the trails and linking up for a spontaneous tour....provided you had the weed....is something I miss about MTBing in new locations. It is more fun when it's also a treasure hunt. Shops used to be gate keepers.....they used to be the trail builders too. In Northfield the rule of thumb is when in doubt, keep climbing....on the DH...go straight and keep flowing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes Sir. It was always an integral part of the experience of traveling to new networks to ride to collect information, hunt out the single tracks, and visit a few times to figure out the routes that make sense. Also the excitement of stumbling upon that new trail, still a carpet of loam....or maybe bumping into a regular on the trails and linking up for a spontaneous tour....provided you had the weed....is something I miss about MTBing in new locations. It is more fun when it's also a treasure hunt. Shops used to be gate keepers.....they used to be the trail builders too. In Northfield the rule of thumb is when in doubt, keep climbing....on the DH...go straight and keep flowing.
    I like your style. Keep those trails narrow and fresh. I put in another hearty ride there on Sunday. Still exploring and finding new trails and routes - found the climb trail off Kingston road which was nice way back up. Definitely digging the treasure hunt vibe after getting way too used to referring to Trailforks when riding new places.

mtbr member
    So yes, two riders in the group got stung! Two of us in the front made it through, the next two got lit up, and the last two were able to stop before them. That nest was nasty! Luckily enough no one is allergic. Trails are great! We too love the hand drawn maps. Ended up with 20 miles with 4000 vert for the day. It has become one of our favorites

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger nh View Post
    So yes, two riders in the group got stung! Two of us in the front made it through, the next two got lit up, and the last two were able to stop before them. That nest was nasty! Luckily enough no one is allergic. Trails are great! We too love the hand drawn maps. Ended up with 20 miles with 4000 vert for the day. It has become one of our favorites
    Sorry. They will be destroyed in your honor. 20 miles and 4000. Nice. about twice as steep as most advertised trail networks. Thanks for putting the first tracks in on the new run. Good to see you again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I went out a bombed that hornets nest today. Looking good on the new stuff.

edit: Got out last night for a lap. Man, haven't ridden in almost a month. Whenever I have a window I have been motivated to build. I'm getting really close to completing this years major project and when done is gonna be pretty dang awesome.

The new pieces this year, the reclaimed George's Trail, and the directional Cross Trail, are both riding great. They still need some traffic but are already getting compacted and faster rolling. Cross Trail rides much less weird than I was thinking it might. A short steep and un-benched side hill section felt fine on the bike, and the trail flowed better than I had hoped with a couple short pedaling sections not breaking the flow at all.

This descent will be the longest in the network by vert and by linear measurement. The upper half is the most remote and under built. I moved away from keeping it as fast as possible, which has been my method for the last 2 DH runs here. I love the flow of the Summit run and Slate Ave tr, but have been craving a little more low speed tech. Since these additions will flow into Slate Ave, I wanted to keep the character of the upper section more raw, as the lower half on Slate is buff and silly fast in places.

Hoping to have it all roughed in, at least, by the 22nd. We have an epic planned for that day starting and ending on the Berlin side. PM if you might want to tag along...plan on 6 plus hours of slow and steady rolling.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 09-14-2019 at 06:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Paine Mtn Massive ride 2019 is in the books. 15 starters, 10 finishers. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. 4500 verts, 24 miles, about 5:45 rolling time.

We started at Berlin Pond and climbed Beast to the Tower trail and south on the ridge. We picked up the Dr.Wag trail over to the cross trail to the PMT. Up the PMT to the summit. On my 6 speed I was already portaging the steeps. Summit down to Kingston Rd is riding great but definitely got a lot of use this year. Back up to the Ridge Trail, then we bombed double track down to Slate Ave trail and out to the rest stop. I made a fat back ganache and dipped bacon in it then covered it with toasted almonds. Delicious. Then I threw the cracklings into the ganache with the rest of the toasted almonds and made fat back and almond chocolate bark. It all got devoured then we set out to head back.

Near the car battery I was cramping so I ate 6 shot blocks at once and it saved my life. We then dropped down the east side into the old Poor Farm. It's really fun to bomb old roads for long distances in a large group of bikers. From there we picked up one last piece of hidden single track out to Mirror Lake rd for a scenic cool down spin on a couple miles of dirt road. Felt better at the end then I have previously. Great littel back yard suffer fest.

Next year we have decided that there is now too much trail to ignore and were gonna change it to a point to point starting on Cross town and ending in Northfield. It's been an incredible early fall.
    A few stats for Nrthfld. The Summit to Kingston rd is 1.7 miles and a little over 700 vert. Slate Ave Trail is 1.8 miles to the gate. After the next work day, from the Sister Peak to the gate on slate Ave will be 3.3 miles and 1,100 verts. Orange to the Shaw Center is 900 verts and 1.6 miles. Up. Dwn. Rpt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Real sorry I missed it, Dave! I had to get out early and, as it turns out, still wouldn't have been able to make curfew. Sounds like you did it right!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Real sorry I missed it, Dave! I had to get out early and, as it turns out, still wouldn't have been able to make curfew. Sounds like you did it right!
    Next year maybe. I was slow as #uck. Only rode once last month. Turns out I need to train a bit for such things.

Monkey
    FYI, someone has started adding trails on Trailfork. Unless you take control (admin) of the area, not much can be done. I know you don't like that sort of crap, but hiding our trails has help us keep a lot of people away from our local network.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    FYI, someone has started adding trails on Trailfork. Unless you take control (admin) of the area, not much can be done. I know you don't like that sort of crap, but hiding our trails has help us keep a lot of people away from our local network.
    Sent a Message. Honestly, Northfield trails days are numbered if the trends continue. Perhaps one more effort to get officially involved as a last flailing attempt to pump the brakes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    And "Finished". As in, the new run is clear and connected. Total run I think 3+ miles, from 2200 feet down to 900. 95% dh. 90% primitive single track, 10% chuncky fast double track. Very Stoked to ride it in next year. Hopefully take a little stress off the Summit tr which was getting a bit blown up before the leaves dropped.

And the next one.....

trail magician
    The trails should be good to go tomorrow, right?

I kid. I kid.

I like the sound of that new trail, Dave. I like it a lot!

mtbr member
    Been meaning to post up here for awhile, but keep forgetting. I was able to get a quick rip in on these trails a couple months back as part of a 10 day VT/QBC mtb journey. One of my buds got a hold of the hand written map and rode it once before giving us his tour. We only got a short 2 hour rip, but I was super impressed with what we rode. Nice long high speed descent, fresh loam, jump options galore, solid tech. Even the flow trail was super fun. I can't wait to go back. Next time we get up there I'll look you up Dave for a proper tour.

Keep up the good work!
    Cheers!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Got some projects done. 2 new zones to open up next year and some new trail to ride in. Got the map taken off failforks. Time to start ski prep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-20191104_104216.jpg  

Northfield VT...-20191104_114925-0-.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.