Just another half mile...

North Conway Fall Color Rides

My wife and I are flying out for a week of riding (Columbus Day week) in the North Conway area with an emphasis on riding trails through fall colors. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We don't have much of that down here in the AZ desert. We always have to drive UT or CO to get our fix. Looking forward to a seeing the New England fall color extravaganza!

Go Bruins!

not sure about android

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    My wife and I are flying out for a week of riding (Columbus Day week) in the North Conway area with an emphasis on riding trails through fall colors. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We don't have much of that down here in the AZ desert. We always have to drive UT or CO to get our fix. Looking forward to a seeing the New England fall color extravaganza!
    I'm not sure it Android has the Trailforks App but Apple does and it has all the trail you want to ride in NC. I did quite a few of them this summer using the App and had a great time. Hit up Red Tail trail. The climb up Hurricane mountain road from a small parking area is brutal but once up there another small climb up a hiking trail a right and a right and have a sweet switchback as fast as you want downhill with a lot of feature and one really nice panorama overlooking the valley/mountains.

Park near Walmart parking (east side river) area and find your way to outer limits and twilight zone. More climbing, and more climbing but a long descent on twilight zone. there are a lot more intermediate trails in this area I heard are great but have not yet ridden. This area is also an old granite quarry and there's a lot of old machines and a few buildings in the woods as well as hidden train tracks. Cool place.

Finally, (west side river) parking area has a larger parking area with enough trails to satisfy many hours of riding. I did over a two hour ride here and had a lot more options. Make sure to take Shumway from the top back to parking. Its a fun machine built switchback flow trail with huge berms and open near the top and a more narrow switchback speedier section near the bottom.

It's an amazing place to ride a moutain bike.

ps: Attitash may have lift served downhill still running if that's your thing. Check their site.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you're looking to be among the trees/foliage, then any trail will satisfy that. If you're looking for views, there's only a couple options. Red Tail is one, mentioned by ooctrl, the other would be to go up to White Horse Ledge. You can start from Echo Lake and go through Hales Location (rich people part of town and golf course) to get to White Horse. Both of those trails are advanced with about 1000 feet of elevation gain.

You have to work to get good views around here, which is also the case for hiking. I can suggest some hikes too if you're interested, just let me know how long you want them to be.

I should also add that leaves on the ground hide rocks and roots, so "stay on your toes".

beer thief
    There's also a nice overlook on the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits loop from the Hemlock Lane trailhead near Walmart. Trailforks has the names backwards but it's a short spur off the TZ downhill.

Be aware that Columbus Day weekend is our worst traffic of the year, with Fryeburg (Maine) Fair happening at the same time. Don't be too fixated on following your GPS, as there are alternate routes around all the problem areas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I should also add that there are group rides on Sunday mornings, although I haven't gone to any of them. I can probably guarantee they won't be doing a ride with views/overlooks, but at least you won't get lost. Check our facebook group for details: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wmnemba/

Just another half mile...
    Thanks for the Beta guys! This will get us started. Between Trailforks and MTB project, looks like there is plenty in the area to keeps us busy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    In addition to the already good list:
    1. Grab a beer at the Meister Hut (open weekends) on top of Cranmore. This could be worked in to the Red Tail /Black Cap ride.
    2. It's not overly popular anymore but riding the Lower Nan trail along the Swift River is nice in the fall.https://www.conwaydailysun.com/outdo...2a4bb8fdc7.htm
    3. Check out Moose Brook State Park 35-40 minutes north https://cooscyclingclub.org/