new weekly trail update- Mtbr.com
    Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

new weekly trail update

So. NH Weekly trail conditions 2/24
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    new update
    looks like all the new snow is gone and alot of the old too, now if it freezes up we'll be all set to rock
    Ft Rock:
    Bear Brook:
    Marshabeesic:
    Pawtuckaway: maybe , packed snowmobile trails
    Fomba: , fire roads,
    Yudicky: NG
    Horse Hill:
    Lowell Dracut:
    Harold Parker:
    Mt A.
    Willowdale, Singletrack is good, big trees cut, lots of twigs, bring extra hanger. Some frost on the fire roads, a few major trees, but normal loop mostly clear. BP downhill trail clear to dam.
    Last edited by dan0; 03-10-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Back on the wagon
    Whereabouts did you ride on the Pond side @ Mt. A? Thinking about heading out there tomorrow...
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
    Whereabouts did you ride on the Pond side @ Mt. A? Thinking about heading out there tomorrow...
    I didnt, climber25 sent it in on the old update
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=591035

mtbr member
    I rode Ft. Rock yesterday, and just thought I'd add my .02. The Newfields side is pretty choice. Mostly hard-packed snow, with a few icy spots as well as completely bare ground. If you're on studs, you'll do fine. I was on my Pugsley and had some issues with the ice.

The Exeter side was more icy in spots, but still rideable. I'm pretty sure the snow on both sides was getting a touch too warm. Maybe too warm to ride during this heatwave we're supposed to have. I'd stick to early morning rides for sure to avoid tearing up the trails.
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    Rode Fomba yesterday {finally got off my lazy arze}. Fireroads was very rideable with studs but there were areas with puddles (avoided them at all cost). Did Lady Slipper, again studs highly recommended, but 3/4 of the way, had to head back as the snow got deeper. Started at the trailhead near the hut. Red Pine was similar to Slipper but was able to complete it. The 'Pecker was not rideable, at least for me, as the snow was not packed enough. I didn't even dare go t Fireline

Hopefully the snow we're getting would melt away quickly considering the temps for the rest of the week and do some more re-freezing.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    bump

the train keeps rollin
    Please pack down Bear Brook 1st, thanks.
    beaver hunt

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    Weekly trail conditions 2/18
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    new update
    seems everything is crap, get out there with snowshoes and pack it down...
    Hey Dan, perhaps this should be titled "Southern NH/Northern MA Trail Conditions"

Up north we got virtually no snow and biking conditions are superb if it's below freezing (not at the present moment). Some of this stuff is better now than in the summer. If you like hike-a-bike, the popular hiking trails are pounded super hard and are killer descents. YMMV

I rode some closed XC ski trails the other night and it was like riding an iced up A-Line at Whistler. But much shorter...

the train keeps rollin
    RadAir, we need picture or video proof man.
    beaver hunt

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    RadAir, we need picture or video proof man.
    dude, it's all about stealth; show don't tell. some xc skier will get all mad because we scratched their ice.

but you can find some a-line videos here; just imagine it all white.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    dude, it's all about stealth; show don't tell. some xc skier will get all mad because we scratched their ice.

but you can find some a-line videos here; just imagine it all white.
    I cant list them if you dont tell

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Hey Dan, perhaps this should be titled "Southern NH/Northern MA Trail Conditions"

Up north we got virtually no snow and biking conditions are superb if it's below freezing (not at the present moment). Some of this stuff is better now than in the summer. If you like hike-a-bike, the popular hiking trails are pounded super hard and are killer descents. YMMV

I rode some closed XC ski trails the other night and it was like riding an iced up A-Line at Whistler. But much shorter...
    the way its melting down here we may be back riding soon

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    bump

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

weekly update 3/10

new update
    alot of downed trees and slush and mud

Ft Rock: Closed for mud

Bear Brook: unknown
    Marshabeesic: open

Pawtuckaway: unknown

Fomba: ,closed

Yudicky: closed

Horse Hill: unknown

Lowell Dracut: unknown

Harold Parker: jenkins rd side is dry and good, fireroads are a mess , be done by noon for best results

Mt A. unknown

Willowdale: Singletrack is good, big trees cut, lots of twigs, bring extra hanger. Some frost on the fire roads, a few major trees, but normal loop mostly clear. BP downhill trail clear to dam.

Please stay off any muddy or soft trails ( walk around if you have to)
    Last edited by dan0; 03-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.

the train keeps rollin
    if you are going to ride, ride early while the ground is firm..
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    kingman farms in madbury, nh is somewhat rideable. the double track in the woods has a bunch of holes and air pockets, but the single track themselves are pretty good condition

tag007

Mt A Update

I've ridden the north side three times in the last 10 days to ascertain the conditions and to do some light clean up. The descents off the main peak are muddy. The ring trail is not rideable yet, there's too much frost that's not thawed out completely. It'll get rutted beyond belief if it's ridden. Descents off the ring are pretty good, with slight mud. The descents of the second hill are in great shape, almost like summer, but that's due to light snow/good sun exposure/dry weather. The descent between second and third is not quite there yet, esp at the bottom...very muddly with plenty of ruts from someone riding through it. The two runs from third to the trail leading to chick brook rd. are pretty good with slight mud. The run down to chick brook rd is not rideable yet, too much water and wash out. I've been riding the good stuff and walking around the frost/mud/water sections.

All these conditions will deteriorate if we get rain this weekend as the projections point to.

cranktankerous Mainer
    …the simplified version... high ground and singletrack- Good... ATV trails and trails that had thick snow/ice pack from frequent winter travel - Bad.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

mtbr member
    Ft Rock is officially closed
    http://town.exeter.nh.us/conserve/tr...feb%202010.pdf

Ya, OK.. I'm not here to debate the merit of it... just letting you know the city's position.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Raineman
    Ft Rock is officially closed
    http://town.exeter.nh.us/conserve/tr...feb%202010.pdf

Ya, OK.. I'm not here to debate the merit of it... just letting you know the city's position.
    Where is your profile pic from? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I did Lowell/Dracut on 3/6 and Mines on 3/7. Both were pretty dry, ~50F and had only a couple small spots of snow. Lots of people at Mines because it was the first nice day of the year but that is expected. This weekend looks like it's going to be pretty wet so this info is pretty irrelevant now but thought I would share.

mtbr member

Mt. A is good

Rode Aggie Saturday, and all of Ring was in great shape. We didn't come across anything too greasy, and it was actually rather fast in spots. Good riding.

By the way, anyone know anything about FOMBA? I figure it could be getting close.
    I wasn't biking while I was typing this... I call that wasted time!!!

banned
    Sep 2008

newfields

didn't make it back over to bear brook today, but did a 2 hour ride over to newfields via the abandoned rail bed into the northern stuff. i must say that it would be good to respect the closed trail signs, but everything that i rode was spectacular, dry and clean. i did not ride through any mud, but did carefully walk a couple of wet spots, mostly on the snomo trails that intersect the singletrack. i did not venture south of the powerlines. some trees still down, not many tho. one trail that i helped clear b4 the last storm is in great shape.

now the rains come.............

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    clifford park as of sunday was good to go. we rode both days saturday and sunday.
    while is not a all day epic the place offers some great technical riding.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

Fort Rock
    Mar 2010
    I walked Fort Rock on Saturday, and still a lot of muddy spots. A good portion of the trail was dry though. The ConCom put a huge orange sign stating the trail was closed to mountain bikes. They must have just put it up because it wasn't there the week before.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ft Rock and Fomba both are closed for mud
    Fomba usually starts very late and they had alot of trees blown down that they're trying to harvest so Maybe May...

HP was dry Sat. on the east side, also heard Lowell Dracut and half of bear brook
    but now its raining so keep your fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode Lowell/Dracut on Friday and it was fine. I don't think today's rain is going to affect it much. Last week's rain/storm was crazy and it was ridable by mid-week.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostNH
    I did Lowell/Dracut on 3/6 and Mines on 3/7. Both were pretty dry, ~50F and had only a couple small spots of snow. Lots of people at Mines because it was the first nice day of the year but that is expected. This weekend looks like it's going to be pretty wet so this info is pretty irrelevant now but thought I would share.
    As of yesterday Mine Falls was in great shape - most anything that wasn't literally under water was dry. The only mud was leftover from the flooding along the river (just past the bridge, across the river from DQ).

Mine Falls has been in great shape for a few weeks now, and even just a few days after the flooding it was dry, so I doubt this week's rain will keep it out of busniess for more than a day or two after the rain stops (may be a little chilly compared to what we're now used to, though!)

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

banned
    The only Trails I am seeing are on paper in the latest 'Bike', because they are not getting the soaking Vermont is right now!

mtbr member
    So, we're riding with a buddy of mine who has just gotten into riding this year. I took him to Aggie last weekend which was fine, but I was hoping to hit someplace a little more substantial this weekend if possible. I'd do Ft. Rock or FOMBA, but it sounds like they're both closed, although I'm sure the south side of the rock would be plenty dry. I've never ridden Bear Brook, so I'm not familiar with the area, but if it's my only choice for this weekend, I'd check it out if it's okay for a newbie... I hear it's FOMBA-ish, which would be fine.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas as to what might be ridable this weekend?? (Also, I know it's still only March, so I don't expect a boat load of options, just any idea of what might be worth checking out, if anything.) Worst case, it'll be back to Aggie. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Harold Parker and Wompy

HP was in amazing shape when I ran there last Sunday. It was quite dry and firm...the only spots to worry about are the ones that are typically wet at any time.
    some of the "stream" crossing were a bit larger....but no "mud" to speak of.
    Ran about 8 miles on the State Trooper side....the shoes stayed clean.

Rode at Wompy at Saturday with the same results. What is typically wet at any time is way wet, but (hard to believe, but true) everything else was in great shape.

We only got an inch or two of rain out of the storm Monday/Tuesday, and that should not have impacted the trails as greatly as the week before.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    supposed to rain tonight and Friday so HP may be the only choice . the rocky side dries pretty fast
    everyplace else is likeley to be muddy.
    Rule of thumb, if you're leaving ruts , its too wet

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if its not raining and 35 deg out i plan to ride bear brook this weekend. whats the best trails to stay on?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy
    if its not raining and 35 deg out i plan to ride bear brook this weekend. whats the best trails to stay on?
    hemlock, bear brook ( upper part) carr ridge, cascade, little bear, salt lick,

most of the low stuff will probably be wet and muddy

if you see any trees down let us know

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    anybody go out today? is anything good for tomorrow?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by hcklr
    anybody go out today? is anything good for tomorrow?
    Bear Brook was sweeeeet today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice are you riding tomorrow? I have been stuck on the stationary bike since our last ride at FR

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    went scouting for trees at BB, the trails listed above are fine , as is hedgehog ledge, but getting there may be a problem. broken boulder is a muddy mess with lots of down trees
    hayes field is swampy. hard to list everything, but be prepared to walk

HP is dry on the east side ( jenkins rd lot)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    rear shock blew up again, no xc for a while

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    wow, my hard tail is running great!

banned
    Sep 2008

crotchdom

missed ya at the crotch for afternoon laps james. sweet corn.

rog

Black Lion
    HP is not dry now.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm thinking about riding Bear Brook for the first time this weekend. Any suggested routes? Parking? Thanks.

banned
    Sep 2008

underwater

bring yer fins and snorkel.

rog

Tool
    I'm thinking about riding Bear Brook for the first time this weekend. Any suggested routes? Parking? Thanks.
    There will be some standing water in the usual spots, and the wetter trails like Chipmunk will be a mess, but much of Bear Brook will be very rideable this weekend.

I highly recommend enlisting a guide for your first venture into Bear Brook - even with the best map available (I have yet to see an updated map with all the good stuff on it) you can spend a lot of time on fire roads and pavement just trying to find the good stuff.

I've tried following routes posted in the forum, and found that some of them will leave you scratching your head after a few intersections.

For parking, you can either park in the lot across from the toll shack, or use the hiker/biker lot on Podunk road.

Some trails I recommend hitting are the Bear Brook Trail (and extension), and Little Bear. Bear Brook trails are great in both directions, but you want to go in the direction towards the hiker/biker lot on Little Bear - it's a great downhill (you can find my Little Bear video post in this forum if you want a preview, although it was shot in mid-winter conditions).

One other trail to be sure to hit, and I can't recall it's name at the moment, is accessed thru the sandpit at the top of the hill on Pitch Pine (access Pitch Pine from the three-way intersection at the entrance to the hiker/biker lot - from the lot, go straight across and then look to the left). Once you're on the single track behind the sand pit, stay left at each intersection. Stay left when you reach the pavement and this trail will take you to a campground. Head left thru the campground, past the softball field and you'll come to a beach where the Beaver Pond loop starts - this loop will take you back to the campground.

If nothing else, this will give you some good trails to hit.

-Pete

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    One other trail to be sure to hit, and I can't recall it's name at the moment, is accessed thru the sandpit at the top of the hill on Pitch Pine
    That's Hemlock...and if you want to get back to the other side of the park without making it and out and back I suggest reading up on this first: http://www.overlandjournal.com/ Lynx and others were expedition status as of last weekend, with this rain probably got worse.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Any chance that the Concord Hospital trails will be rideable tomorrow afternoon? I've never been there and don't know how well drained it is.

Also, Franklin Falls was great last weekend and I'm sure will be all dried up for this weekend. There will be a group of us riding there at 9:30 on Saturday. It looks like it will be a pretty mellow ride and all are welcome.

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM
    Any chance that the Concord Hospital trails will be rideable tomorrow afternoon? I've never been there and don't know how well drained it is.

Also, Franklin Falls was great last weekend and I'm sure will be all dried up for this weekend. There will be a group of us riding there at 9:30 on Saturday. It looks like it will be a pretty mellow ride and all are welcome.
    How mellow? My wife and I might be interested. She gets around fine but isn't a speed demon.

JDM
    mtbr member
    bad news: it'll be as mellow as it has to be for everyone to have fun. we can provide bail out points and take breaks as needed.

If the pace of a ride is slow I enjoy extra time to practice wheelies and have slow-races (balance contests).

I am taking a 1/2 day off from work on Friday to get a faster ride in! Hopefully the concord trail will be rideable.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I dont know
    I think it will be pretty soggy, there are a few of the upper trails at bear brook that should be dry, but if you dont know the park you'll probably end up walking through alot of mud to get there. Last Sunday broken boulder was pretty much impassable except on foot. As mentioned above little bear, bear brook, carr ridge, hemlock and salt lick are fairly high and dry
    if you're leaving ruts you should stay off

the Jenkins rd side of HP is usually the first place to dry , so thats where Ill be. If I go tomorrow Ill post up the report

Black Lion
    I dont know

the Jenkins rd side of HP is usually the first place to dry , so thats where Ill be. If I go tomorrow Ill post up the report

Good luck.
    The Jenkins trails were wet last Sunday, then we got 5 inches of rain.
    Voltron

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Good luck.
    The Jenkins trails were wet last Sunday, then we got 5 inches of rain.

it's raining on my parade
    maybe I'll walk it tomorrow and see what it looks like. I noticed the crew went out and carved some drains right away last time. Seemed to really help

JDM
    mtbr member
    we were thinking about riding by the hospital on concord, not Bear Brook. Any thoughts on that area? I've never been there.

We're contributing NEMBA MEMBA types and don't intend to make a mess out there.

JDM
    mtbr member
    what does HP stand for?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    what does HP stand for?
    harold parker state park in Andover , Ma.

Black Lion
    it's raining on my parade
    maybe I'll walk it tomorrow and see what it looks like. I noticed the crew went out and carved some drains right away last time. Seemed to really help
    blah blah blah
    Greg
    Last edited by yogreg; 04-04-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, guys. Ya, maybe I'll hold off. I don't want my first impression to be that of walking my bike around mud half the time.

A guide? Is this place really that massive that I'll get lost or just that I won't find any decent trails?

Thanks again.

Tool
    A guide? Is this place really that massive that I'll get lost or just that I won't find any decent trails?
    A little of both.

Bear Brook is the largest state park in NH. It is possible to get lst there and a wrong turn could set you back quite some time. As long as you're not like one of the Blair Witch dumbazzes who navigate in circles, you don't have much to worry about unless you're foolish enough to race against darkness w/o lighting.

This is the best map I'm aware of, and as you can see, it leaves a little to be desired. The hiker/biker lot is on Podunk Rd. near Kenison Corner (near where Little Bear and Bear Brook trails meet). Southeast of there is the gravel pit that you can access via Pitch Pine (not shown), and from there you can hit Hemlock, which parallels Bear Brook (the actual brook, not the trail) until the point where Lower Road crosses over Bear Brook (about a mile due north of Beaver Pond). Stay left and a fire road will parallel Lower Rd. until you hit the campground near Beaver Pond. After the beaver loop, you could head back to the gravel pit the way you came, and then cross Lower Rd. onto Salt Lick which will intersect Podunk Rd. roughly where you see the 510 elevation mark. Go straight across Podunk Rd. onto the unmarked singletrack, stay right and this puts you on Little Bear which will bring you back to the hiker/biker lot.

This is a good course for a first time out there, and has a decent chance of being reasonably dry despite the recent deluge. If you're looking for more, you could do an out and back on the Bear Brook trail - where Bear Brook meets the gravel road, take a right, and about a third of a mile up will be a singletrack that forks off to the right (you'll pass at least two other singletracks that intersect the gravel at a right angle - these don't go much of anywhere) - this will put you on Bear Brook Ext., however, this one is a little lower lying and may be pretty muddy for a few hundred yards.

I should really be in bed now, so hopefully someone will give this writeup a sanity check to confirm it's 100% valid.

-Pete

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Thanks, guys. Ya, maybe I'll hold off. I don't want my first impression to be that of walking my bike around mud half the time.

Thanks again.
    the problem is finding the right trails in the right direction. and the issue is , if you dont know the trails you could be going down alot of muddy trails and roads and none of the roads are really marked and all look the same. we may go there this weekend, pm me your email or phone # and Ill let you know when we go

JDM
    mtbr member
    These guys are correct: you'll have more fun at BB with a guide.

think
    Jul 2008

Thanks again.
    10,500 acres I do believe. I've seen a few too many on some ill-fated explorations in the past

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Haha, 4am, thanks, Pete. Ya, I was planning on just exploring with a couple buddies so I don't mind if I don't find everything on my first visit. Do you guys know if there is cell service there (Verizon)? I want to be able to view maps on my phone and record some tracks using the GPS.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Haha, 4am, thanks, Pete. Ya, I was planning on just exploring with a couple buddies so I don't mind if I don't find everything on my first visit. Do you guys know if there is cell service there (Verizon)? I want to be able to view maps on my phone and record some tracks using the GPS.
    ive never had a problem

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    SO reading this talk about needing a guide I can't help but giggle to myself. My first ride at Bear Brook we had a guide, well actually we had two a lead guy and a sweeper. We arrived late but it took us about 30 minutes to catch up with the ride we anted to be part of. and about 30 minutes later we got lost. I don't mean me and my two friends I mean half the group got mixed up because the leader decided to take an alternate route. a 2hr ride turned into three hours or so with ALOT on the road. Not complaining just laughing about it now...Did i mention this happen during NEMBA fest? Good times!
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

Tool
    Ouch! I heard about that misadventure. Sorry it happened to you. NEMBAFest09 was my first real tour of BB, and I'm very glad I had (competent) guides. We strayed from the marked course, but we spent very little time on any roads, and no pavement unless you count a short stretch inside one of the camps.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll
    SO reading this talk about needing a guide I can't help but giggle to myself. My first ride at Bear Brook we had a guide, well actually we had two a lead guy and a sweeper. We arrived late but it took us about 30 minutes to catch up with the ride we anted to be part of. and about 30 minutes later we got lost. I don't mean me and my two friends I mean half the group got mixed up because the leader decided to take an alternate route. a 2hr ride turned into three hours or so with ALOT on the road. Not complaining just laughing about it now...Did i mention this happen during NEMBA fest? Good times!

couldnt be Matt & John could it

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Thanks again.
    i got lost 2 times last season. one of those times it was dark and i ended up 5 miles down the rode from the state park entrance

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

hp ride

went there Fri and sat 4/2, 4/3
    the Jenkins rd trails are great, 2 wet spots on the fire roads was it all the rest was dry
    went to the gun club trails Sat, also mostly dry, 2 crossings ankle deep but no mud to speak of
    Not sure about the western side ( st. police barracks area) I'm guessing that all the lower trails are probably under water or muddy so I stayed away.

Just use your head, stay off the muddy, go through the wet not around, and you'll be fine

Tool
    Franklin Falls is in perfect condition right now. I rode there today for the first time - fun stuff - like FOMBA w/o the rocks and not ridden to death.

-Pete

think
    Jul 2008
    Just got back from Pine Hill Park. Trails are bone dry and in good shape. Someone ought to take a rake to that "freeride trail" of theirs though, the biggest obstacle on it right now is the derailleur killers Kidding aside they have done a lot of work in that place. A good spot if you are looking for fast smooth type stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Bear brook was fun today, some water on the fire roads but other than that it was dry, we stayed mostly on catamount hill though

JDM
    mtbr member
    Concord quarry trails yesterday and Franklin Falls today and both were excellent. It looks like MTB season is HERE!

JDM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    Just got back from Pine Hill Park. Trails are bone dry and in good shape. Someone ought to take a rake to that "freeride trail" of theirs though, the biggest obstacle on it right now is the derailleur killers Kidding aside they have done a lot of work in that place. A good spot if you are looking for fast smooth type stuff.
    Sounds like someone just volunteered. Do you own a rake?

think
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like someone just volunteered. Do you own a rake?
    I suppose I do have a rake...got a brand new handle on it too.

I have spent well over 40 hours clearing, maintaining, and building trail already this spring. If Pine Hill Park wasn't a riding area three hours from my house that I had seen once in my life you can bet that I would have already done it myself. You can also bet that riders wouldn't be coming out of Halfpipe complaining of downed trees.

The joke was as much about what they label "freeride" as it was the sticks on the trail.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    I have spent well over 40 hours clearing...
    You have me beat. - I'll get off your case

mtbr member
    Rode Mt. A, hills side, yesterday 4/3, it was quite dry, more so than I anticipated.
    Watch for derailleur sticks and be kind to the mud holes. Get out and ride!
    Followed the off road ride up with a few hill climb repeats on the road in preparation for Mt. Washington in July. Cheers all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So is BB officially open? Looking at heading down for about Noon but may just stay at Aggie. Anyone?

-tom
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

think
    Jul 2008
    You have me beat. - I'll get off your case
    Haha no worries, I know where you were coming from when you said that

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyKnocker
    So is BB officially open? Looking at heading down for about Noon but may just stay at Aggie. Anyone?

-tom
    not officially if you mean , is anyone at the toll booth, but being a state park they dont close completely. so its ridable if you stay on bear brook, little bear, carr ridge, catamount, salt lick , hemlock. lots of lower areas are nasty mud
    you might have to walk here and there

lowell dracut is too muddy, Harold Parker is sweet and dry on the eastern side

banned
    Sep 2008

cape cod

down visiting family and hit my ole stomping grounds, trail o tears this morning. perfect riding conditions per usual and kicked my own a$$ per usual as well.

back for more tomorrow.

rog

mtbr member
    Where is Franklin Falls? I've never heard of it... does it go by another name?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How does trail o tears relate to Fort Rock? I have herd both its technical and thats very smooth and fast which one is closer to the truth?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hcklr
    How does trail o tears relate to Fort Rock? I have herd both its technical and thats very smooth and fast which one is closer to the truth?
    fort rock has lots of rocks, trail o tears has hardly any of any significance in comparison. trail o tears made me the fittest i've ever been, even compared to when i lived in the mtns. fort rock helped me ramp up my tech skills quite a bit. trail o tears reminded me that i don't ride there enough. i found kicking my @ss was way too easy. never ending punchy climbs are spirit breakers when output is at 11. bushwood in yarmouth is going to destroy me tomorrow

both are fun, really fun.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aggie is really pretty epic right now. We rode the Pond side and was actually amazed at how good it is. Lots of branches, lots of leaves but excellent overall.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSBRO
    Where is Franklin Falls? I've never heard of it... does it go by another name?
    Franklin, NH on rte. 127.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    not officially if you mean , is anyone at the toll booth, but being a state park they dont close completely. so its ridable if you stay on bear brook, little bear, carr ridge, catamount, salt lick , hemlock. lots of lower areas are nasty mud
    you might have to walk here and there

lowell dracut is too muddy, Harold Parker is sweet and dry on the eastern side
    I rode lowell/dracut on sat and sun and it wasn't too bad. Some mud where you had to walk but better than I thought.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I rode lowell/dracut on sat and sun and it wasn't too bad. Some mud where you had to walk but better than I thought.
    I was there Sunday as well, I would stay off for another week . You can walk around the mud but I would rather ride than walk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was there Sunday as well, I would stay off for another week . You can walk around the mud but I would rather ride than walk
    What do you ride? I wonder if I saw you.

Ya, a couple spots were bad so I walked but a couple spots were wide enough that I could ride around the mud.

I discovered this awesome single track on the SW of the forest. What area(s) did you ride?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    What do you ride? I wonder if I saw you.

Ya, a couple spots were bad so I walked but a couple spots were wide enough that I could ride around the mud.

I discovered this awesome single track on the SW of the forest. What area(s) did you ride?
    I was on an orange Niner and my buddy was on a pivot
    usually i start on the NE side off Totman rd and work my way down and over to the main entrance, then work back north of Carney rd
    My Buddy wanted to start at the main entrance so we did the same trails only backwards ( to me)

tough call on the mud, if you're carefull it can be ridden but I dont want to recommend it to the general public until its a bit drier

loser
    couldnt be Matt & John could it
    Sorry to dig this up, but I was on that ride. It was a kick in the junk. Especially with a Patriot's game to get home for.
    Definitely get a guide, or go with an entire day and big appetite for adventure!

Ride and Smile suckas
    Hope to see you all at Bear Brook this weekend. Lots of work and some riding too.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

Ride and Smile suckas
    Get a DVR and a camelback and leave the pads at home when you ride at Bear Brook.
    Adventure ride was the advertisement...
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

loser
    McStumpy, that was more like a mystery ride - for the leaders, and the lambs. All good fun though.

I can't make Bear Brook this weekend due to work and school. I hope that idiot isn't gonna get on his stump about karma and sticks in wheels again.

Please let me know about a FOMBA trail day ASAP so I can fit it in my schedule. It's pretty busted up from what I hear.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim
    McStumpy, that was more like a mystery ride - for the leaders, and the lambs. All good fun though.

I can't make Bear Brook this weekend due to work and school. I hope that idiot isn't gonna get on his stump about karma and sticks in wheels again.

Please let me know about a FOMBA trail day ASAP so I can fit it in my schedule. It's pretty busted up from what I hear.
    who you calling a big idiot
    Im not that big besides I said I hoped the karma fairy didnt throw a stick in your spokes

Fomba allready had 1 trail day, if you want to be in the loop you should sign up for the nemba yahoo group, then youll get all the updates, Fomba has their own group

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim

fomba
    http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25277

loser
    Thanks for the heads up and apologies for the mis-remembered quote.

Thank you for your hard work in getting the trails back in shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bradbury is open and in very good shape.

mtbr member
    In the interest of continuing to update from this thread, Fort Rock is open, and pretty darn dry. The snomo. trails on the very western part of the Oaklands power lines are swamped in sections, and there are a couple greasy sections at random in the lower spots, but we did over 10 miles on Sunday, and it was great overall. Also, a new log / drop feature at the bottom of the camel humps on the Highlands side is pretty neat if you've not seen it yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lowell/Dracut is good for the most part. The bugs are out which sucks.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Looks like most everything is good to go

except Fomba

I'm going to let this drop untill bad weather sets in again. Good riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    going to go out on a limb with this but going to say that most of the trails in northern VT got screwed with the snow that fell today (4-28) so much fell that I hear Jay peak is opening their slopes up again
    The man who knows everything knows that he will never know it all

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not necessarily. Call before you go anywhere tho. Paid a visit to Millstone this AM and there was 4-6" of crusty snow. Some other places, same elevation, are nearly dry.

Members who have read this thread: 0