Moving to the area... Advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Moving to the area... Advice?

Hi All, We'll be relocating next month to S NH, Lee to be precise.... Looking for some good riding etc. Here in S Tx it's pretty flat, mostly CC stuff. The trails are 100% rocky and loose, especially in the drought, with lots of limestone 1-2' ledges, I presume we'll actually see some dirt up there? Read lots about muddy trails at the end of winter is that pretty much the case after any rain? 1-2 days for the trails to recover? longer? I like to get at least 2-3 rides per week on the MTB with some early am road rides... is that possible in the area? Looks like the road stuff is fine but... Any of the local trails/areas particularly kid friendly?

Looking fwd to the change of scenery! TIA for the advise...
    Last edited by jbirkle; 05-22-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: errors...

mtbr member
    Fort Rock isn't far from you, which is great riding. I've heard that there are some pretty nice trails in the Durham/Madbury areas as well, but I personally haven't ridden them. There is a large contingent of MTBR's in the seacoast/downeast NH area that will happily show you around and tell you of all the good spots.

think
    Jul 2008
    Uhhh...that was a lot of questions.

Kid friendly trails near Lee would be Kingman Farms in Madbury and the College Woods in Durham.

Fort Rock in Exeter, Agimenticus up in Maine, and Isinglass I believe it's called over by Waste Management in Gonic would all be spots for you to check out. It's not far to Bear Brook, FOMBA, Pawtuckaway, or even Highland, Lynn, Harold Parker, etc. Lots of riding within 1 hour.

There's some dirt and lots of rocks, roots, and mud. A good portion of the trails bounce back within 48 hours of rain. Most of the time when the trails aren't snowed in you can get 2 or 3 rides a week easy, usually more.

Lee is a nice area. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply's making my list now... Highland's definently on the list, never been to a real bike park. I ride a new C'dale Jekyll which is awesome, if not a bit overkill for our max 2 min downhill sections, assume it should work out fine on the trails up there? Think it'll be too small for Highland?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks a million for the responses... Just getting a bit excited for the new terrain!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbirkle View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply's making my list now... Highland's definently on the list, never been to a real bike park. I ride a new C'dale Jekyll which is awesome, if not a bit overkill for our max 2 min downhill sections, assume it should work out fine on the trails up there? Think it'll be too small for Highland?
    That would be a good fit for the trails up here. All sorts of rigs and riders going on up here but it's pretty chunky so if your not a 29'r leg shaver single speeder roadie guy a 5x5/6x6 is pretty much the norm. It should also work for Highland if you have good 6" fork and some DH tires. Highland is more fast and bermy than DH chunky.

Ride and Smile suckas
    I rode my HT SS at Highland last weekend, but your Cdale will be much better. There is a XC loop off the bottom of the MT now. There are a ton of places and good mix in your area. You will love it if you are a rider.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    Dont Forget Franklin Falls dam in franklin NH that has some very nice flow and all the dirt you could ever want( not very rocky)

mtbr member
    You will want to become familiar with how to avoid ticks and Lyme's disease.

mtbr member
    One of our crew lives in Lee. see Hampstead 2012 thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the info ALL... Yeah, stressing on the whole tick thing! Guess it's just something you have to deal with...

Getting close now! We'll be up there in 3wks, but will likely be getting the house together for a few before I can get any decent ride time in... Looks like there's plenty of options though.

Thanks Again!
    Joshua
    Last edited by jbirkle; 05-29-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: errors...

mtbr member
    Southern NH has to be one of the worst places in the US for both ticks and mosquito's. I mean it has the most Lyme's disease cases, but the mosquitos can be crazy.

I've had two occasions over the 2.5 years i've been here that i actually packed my bike back on to the car and decided it wasn't worth it because i couldn't even get ready in the lot because of the skeeters.

If you have dogs Frontline is a must.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    if you have dogs frontline is a must.
    this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbirkle View Post
    Thanks for the info ALL... Yeah, stressing on the whole tick thing! Guess it's just something you have to deal with...

Getting close now! We'll be up there in 3wks, but will likely be getting the house together for a few before I can get any decent ride time in... Looks like there's plenty of options though.

Thanks Again!
    Joshua
    You get ticks you pull them off. Nothing to worry about. Just check yourself after every ride. People blow it way out of proportion.

Skeeters can get real bad but you just keep moving and they don't bother you. It's when you get a mechanical or hang for post ride beers that they can drive you crazy. I keep bugspray in my pack and only use it when it gets to the point.

To me its the horseflies and the green heads that drive me nuts. They love to get into your helmet and can actually bite you while your riding. That's when the DEET really comes out for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0