Mom and Dad moving to NH!!!- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Mom and Dad moving to NH!!!

Ok, so I live down in MD and my parents (mom/step dad) live out in CO (CO Springs to be exact). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out there as much as I would like simply due to cost (flying a family of 5 is ridiculous and then throw a bike on top of it!!!) but they are in the process of buying a house somewhere in NH where my step dad is from. If all goes well, I'm told that I will be helping them move in as early as this spring. Once I get more details as to where in NH I will be back over here trying to figure things out. You can bet my bike with be on the rack and traveling up there with me.

I do have some questions for you folks that live up there.

1. can you describe your trails for me? lots of climbing, single track, rocks, roots, woods????

2. Are they single speed friendly? I mean, do I really need to think about having a geared bike if I head up there or is thee a pretty big SS scene up there?

Ok, that's it for now. Keeping my fingers crossed. This could mean quite a few 4-5 day weekends in the near future for me...I mean for the family (gotta get the little ones up there to see grammy and grandpa you know).

mtbr member
    Its New England bro, you'll have all the singletrack you could want, and the best. Want flow? Got it. Want techy gnar? Got it. Rocks and roots? Like I said, its New England, got plenty of those. Climbing? Its here (especially in NH and northern New England).

Personally I'm in mass now, but I've ridden all over New England, and only ever on one gear. There are plenty of us masochists around.

I'm sure others will chime in with NH specifics, I'll let them detail the options. I'd check out NEMBA's website, good info, and of course on here.

And welcome to the area.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

banned
    Sep 2008
    having had spent a bunch of time riding in MD and the mid atlantic area, the riding up here isn't better, that's fer sure, but it is really good with plenty of variety. Tons of great riding in nh and never busy at all. You can do multiple hour amazing rides in n-con and not see another soul, even on weekends.

Ss works everywhere. When one is all Ya got, you do what Ya gotta do. Less work on ss overall, especially in the mtns due to turning way less revolutions per ride

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Ok, so I live down in MD and my parents (mom/step dad) live out in CO (CO Springs to be exact). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out there as much as I would like simply due to cost (flying a family of 5 is ridiculous and then throw a bike on top of it!!!) but they are in the process of buying a house somewhere in NH where my step dad is from. If all goes well, I'm told that I will be helping them move in as early as this spring. Once I get more details as to where in NH I will be back over here trying to figure things out. You can bet my bike with be on the rack and traveling up there with me.

I do have some questions for you folks that live up there.

1. can you describe your trails for me? lots of climbing, single track, rocks, roots, woods????

2. Are they single speed friendly? I mean, do I really need to think about having a geared bike if I head up there or is thee a pretty big SS scene up there?

Ok, that's it for now. Keeping my fingers crossed. This could mean quite a few 4-5 day weekends in the near future for me...I mean for the family (gotta get the little ones up there to see grammy and grandpa you know).
    what part of NH?

Low Rep Count
    ????? Waiting to hear back from mom on that one. All they sent me were some pictures of the house and told me that they had put in an offer that was accepted and that I would be "required" to help the move in early spring more than likely.

As soon as I get more details I'll post up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In addition to what others have said, the "early spring" is generally among the worst times to ride in NH since it is super wet and muddy with snow melt and frost coming out of the ground. Just when and how long this mud season lasts will depend on what part of the state you are in but it happens everywhere each year.

banned
    Sep 2008
    REALLY short to no mud season over here on the seacoast for some areas. some n-con trails dry up super quick a well. it's all about the soil.

rog

Live Free & Ride
    Great riding all around and year round....check out some of the threads here or your lbs when you get settled in. Pretty much any bike and any drivetrain set up will work if you are. Flat easier trails at places like Kingman Farm, Gonic Trails to more technical climbing near No Conway and Bear Brook. If you're concerned about mud , sand or snow, a fat bike, either ss, 1x or 2x fits the bill. Let us know how ya make out!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Let me know where your moving. Im in the New Boston area and have access to some of New Englands best kept secrets....