Millstone 12hr?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Millstone 12hr?

mtbr member

Millstone 12hr?

Has anyone done Millstone 12hr? What is the course like? I was looking for a relay partner, but looks like I may be going 12hr solo if I do end up going.

banned
    Sep 2008
    well if it's anything like or the same as the grind course i'd say it's pretty awesome and keeps you working.

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    same as the grind course. My only real complaint after doing the grind the last couple years is the climb out of first feed station that was double track and passable become slow singletrack that was unpassable. the course has tons of fun but challenging singletrack on it, I just prefered not getting stuck behind geared riders on steep climbs on my singlespeed.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yer not aggressive enough. Passing is done whenever and wherever you can. Through the bushes on the sides of trail or whatever.

Rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    eh I do that as much as possible anonoying to catch lapped riders on 32x18 ss and have no real option. I doing the grind again though. Its a great race.

banned
    Sep 2008
    even better is running past riders shouldering yer ss up climbs while they weeble wobble back and forth.

getting stuck behind.......that's racing sometimes. stuck behind story: one year i raced the vt58, 58 as i took a wrong turn and went a good 8 miles extra (bonus). well this occurred after the 1st big climb where the 50k run loop splits off. heh. i went from doing really well with the experts/elites to way off the back................of the novice class. i knew i had some work to do when i pulled back on course behind hundreds of novices in t-shirts and toe clips. let the passing begin. holy crAp was it fun. ON YER LEFT! ON YER RIGHT! over and over and over. was spinning like a madman on the rigid ss 29er. there were places in the singletrack where i was literally bushwhacking to get around packs of slower riders. made for some SUPER fun racing. in the end i crossed the line in 5:19 for a vt 50+8. not bad for fighting back from the back of over 600 riders. i think the passing in tight areas made me go faster as it's way less fun when yer out by yerself for long periods of time racing in yer own class.

my girlfriend at the time was worried when i crossed the line well over 5 hours and was like, "did ya stop to drink beer or something?". then we had to hurry up as i told her that if she waited while i raced, i'd go do a two hour loop at hinesburg later that same day. thank god she drove. going back out for ride #2 some 2 hours north of ascutney was certainly a good shake down ride after the vt 58

rogblog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    2 hours of hineburg is probably harder than the Vermont 50 :P

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    2 hours of hineburg is probably harder than the Vermont 50 :P
    and way better riding. the vt50 is a road bike course fer sure. now, the jay challenge had some sweet a$$ one track up in the hills around montgomery center. not a road bike course. and true ***** climbs. like straight to the top of the tram at jay right from the gun

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    and way better riding. the vt50 is a road bike course fer sure. now, the jay challenge had some sweet a$$ one track up in the hills around montgomery center. not a road bike course. and true ***** climbs. like straight to the top of the tram at jay right from the gun

rog
    where is the Jay challenge? Grateful treads trails are awesome.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    where is the Jay challenge? Grateful treads trails are awesome.
    jay challenge ran in the mid 2000's. the last year was maybe 06' or 07'? i raced it in 05'. 60ish miles with 11-12,000 feet of gain. 32-18t on the old indy ti 29er single. i literally ran (on foot) prolly a good 10+ miles of the course (including the 1st 2000 vert up jay-faster than riding, oftentimes), but due to the taller gear than the other one speeders was able to take the class quite handily. 20th overall i think outta 200+ gearies/singletons. thank god for living/training on cape cod. headwinds are way better/harder training than big climbs for big climbs. headwinds are the ultimate demoralizer.

i wanted to quit so many times during that race. always a good sign of a proper course. dan is the man. i can remember brooke s come flying by me on his, "29 pound 29er" 9 speed karate monkey. doods a freak!

rog