mdc
    mtbr member

Marquette Ski Question....

So last season I bought a pair of Marquette Backcountry Skis. In theory they should work great for hacking around in the woods BUT- the do not glide or slide at all! I'm not new to XC skiing, snowboarding etc., but these suckers have zero glide. Am I missing something? Can (and should) they be waxed? If so what are you using?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,

Mike

beer thief
    I've heard those are heavy and slow so maybe try some F5 wax on them? I have Rossignol Boreals made for LL Bean and love them. They have p-Tex bottoms, metal edges and fish scales and work fantastic. Junk the universal bindings and put on a cable tele binding.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Thanks- The universal bindings are on my Altai Hoks, and I am using a Scarpa t4 boot and Voile 3 pin ( no cable) on the Marquettes. Im going to wax them today and see what happens- it certainly can't hurt!

beer thief
    They're really fun skis. My GF has the Hoks and we're going to pull off the U-bindings and put 3-pins on those too. Light plastic tele boots work great

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I found that with the Hoks a tall snow boot, like mid shin heights adds a lot more control with the universal bindings. Nothing like a downhill boot control wise, but I wanted to keep the U-bidings in case people want to come up and try them but have a different size foot than my wife or I.

They are probably a pretty sweet backcountry ski with the right binding. i just use them as a XC type ski and try my best to avoid tress when I'm steering them through any woods.

MDC when have you been trying the Marquettes in comparison to the Hoks and where/what types of conditions are you using each?

mdc
    mtbr member
    I live south of Worcester, just north of Providence. I bought the Hoks first as something more fun to do than snowshoe, which they definitely did. Originally I was using the Universal binding, then I got a set of Scarpa t4 boots and Voile 3 pin bindings. I started using this set up on all of the single track I ride during the summer, then realized what a blast it was to hike up and ski down the steepest lines possible. I bought the Marquettes as more of a "ski" , but it has fallen short. I just waxed the Marquettes last night, and will take them out today. Might go to Diamond Hill in RI ( an abandoned ski area) to try them out. If they slide well, and have the right "float" I'll be pumped....

mtbr member
    First season with my Hoks and I have the universal binding. I use my 45NRTH Wolvhammer boots and they work pretty well. Will look for some Scarpa t4 and 3 pins in the off season.

Monkey
    I bought a pair of OAC Wap a couple weeks ago. Installed some 3 pins on them and use my Alpina BC boots. So far I really like the setup. Perfect for our up&down topo up here in the Laurentians.

They are fun on singletracks, but gets more interesting cuting across slopes. I think I'll clear some runs before next winter. Those pesky little branches...

Marquette Ski Question....-hok.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think with all the fresh snow this week, I'm gonna try to hit up some of the VAST trails here in central Vermont with the Hoks, see how that goes.

We went to XC ski Northfield a few weekends ago across from the University and it was a good time, steep enough to get these things moving on the way down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The marquettes are not a XC ski. They are like a cross between snow shoes and skis. You will not get any glide out of them. The main reason is no camber. You can take steeper angle up, and they descend very well. They are fat, edgeless, and rockered. They are cheap and highly durable due to no edge. The excel is funky snow, crusty snow, and thin cover as there is no edge to blow out, and they float. They will not fill the same slot in your quiver as say a viole waxless fat ski, they are their own niche for when you would other wise damage your more expensive xc/bc skis, or funky snow would make them difficult to ski. I did the camels hump challenge on them with no skins, on a day with a slight breakable crust and was the only participant to take steep lines out of the broken trail down, and flow directly into climbing with no transition. I was one of the first to finish. They are highly capable but not in the same way as a ski you're looking to classic ski on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What Dave says. Many around northern VT use them as early season rock skis, when we get that surprise October 4" snowfall on top of grass/rocks. I took a belt sander to the bottom of mine to remove the fish scales and will simply bootpack under those conditions. You can rub some simple wax (I honestly just carry a chunk of paraffin) for a little more glide, but you need some steepish terrain to really get them moving.