Leicester Hollow/Chandler Ridge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Leicester Hollow/Chandler Ridge

What a great ride! Wasn't able to hit Leicester Hollow last year as it hadn't been finished by they VTCC but did do Chandler Ridge (South to North). This weekend we rode the entire 9 mile loop starting at Minnie Baker parking lot and going up Leicester Hollow and coming back on Chandler Ridge. The stone work on Leicester Hollow helps me understand what took so long to finish the trail. That's and amazing amount of stone to move by hand. Chandler Ridge will keep you on your toes mental and physically. Hope to get back again later in the summer or early fall. The ride is well worth the trip from where ever you are.

Ran into a VYCC crew so it would appear that trail work is still underway. There are a number of large blow downs on both trail. Hopefully they will be able to clear these out of the way.

Does anyone know if the Southern portion of the Silver Lake Loop Trail will ever be opened to Mt. Bikes? The section of Chandler Ridge that runs along the lake is too rocky in places to ride. Perhaps cutting around the Southern part of the lake would be more rideable.

mtbr member
    The rocks sections are pretty amazing. I have done this trail from Minnie Baker, Lana Falls parking lot and from the end of Silver Lake Road. I think the best direction is to take Minnie Baker > Chandler Ridge > Leicester Hollow > Minnie Baker. That way you get the sweet downhill section all the way from the northern part of the lake to the Minnie Baker parking lot.

From Lana Falls
    iMapMyRide: Jul 28, 2011 02:38 PM in Salisbury, VT | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

From Silver Lake Road
    11.00 mile Touring Bike in Brandon on Jun 14, 2012 at 01:40 pm in Salisbury, VT | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Much respect to the trail Builders! I rode Chandler & the Hollow for the 1st time a couple weeks ago. Beautiful trail!

IMBA south west
    great to hear people are digging Chandler Ridge and Leicester Hollow. It's a pretty special place. IMO the views from Chandler Ridge are the best in VT. I worked a ton on that project from 2008 right up until the snow in November 2011 with VMBA. A big thanks to the VYCC and USFS too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread but has anyone ridden Leister Hollow lately. I have never ridden there but I am in the area and might give it a try this weekend. How much time should I expect a 9 mile loop to take? Thanks

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread but has anyone ridden Leister Hollow lately. I have never ridden there but I am in the area and might give it a try this weekend. How much time should I expect a 9 mile loop to take? Thanks
    a little as 1.5 hour to 3 hour for this loop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    Depends on where you are starting... from the bottom of Falls of Lana trail? Then longer. From the dam at Silver Lake, then shorter. From the access road at VT 73? Then in the middle. Same goes for accessing from Minnie Baker.

Heading to Chandler Ridge from the dam:
    silver lake trail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

South end of Chandler Ridge @ Minnie Baker intersection:
    chandler ridge by mbeganyi, on Flickr

(there was an ultra run finishing up when I was there)

Leicester Hollow:

This year at dusk heading to Silver Lake to camp:
    trail armoring leicester hollow by mbeganyi, on Flickr

trail armoring by mbeganyi, on Flickr

thats not a moon by mbeganyi, on Flickr

On our Fall Fatbike tour last year:
    leicester hollow trail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2280 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2293 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

A couple of years ago:
    leicester hollow trail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_7684 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

And from my recent overnight, the view of the lake:

silver lake, GMNF by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks a lot guys. Great pics. I'm hopefulky going to ride it tomorrow.

banned
    Sep 2008
    looks gorgeous!

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Did another overnight, this time with friends. We rode in from Vergennes and did Minnie Baker to Silver Lake. Camp, fire, food, then back out Leicester Hollow to hunt for my brand new Showers Pass jacket that ejected from my front harness somewhere on Chandler Ridge. We found it, but we changed plans from riding more singletrack to Brooks Road and then Natural Turnpike to Lincoln.

WilB took this picture of me descending Chandler Ridge by mbeganyi, on Flickr
    Last edited by bmike; 10-09-2014 at 06:48 AM.

mtbr member
    The Leicester Hollow-Chandler Ridge loop has been on my radar for a few months now. As I plan my Annual Autumn Vermont tour I've been weighing options. I hate asking people to compare places or rate them, I love riding everywhere, and I love riding new places. Its all about being on a bike and in the woods to me.

But, this work crap has a nasty way of making my trips shorter than ideal. So time management and decision making is important.

Where does LH-CR rank on your list of VT spots? Currently I am planning to fill one day with two ~medium length rides, morning and afternoon. The top three for me are GMT, HTF-Carse Hills, and LH-CR.

Of course there are other VT spots on my radar, including the Stowe stuff, Millstone, and Northfield. Stowe has all the amenities and press, but that to me means it warrants its own full weekend trip. Plus These last three are close in distance, meaning they may make their own trip in the future.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    The Leicester Hollow-Chandler Ridge loop has been on my radar for a few months now. As I plan my Annual Autumn Vermont tour I've been weighing options. I hate asking people to compare places or rate them, I love riding everywhere, and I love riding new places. Its all about being on a bike and in the woods to me.

But, this work crap has a nasty way of making my trips shorter than ideal. So time management and decision making is important.

Where does LH-CR rank on your list of VT spots? Currently I am planning to fill one day with two ~medium length rides, morning and afternoon. The top three for me are GMT, HTF-Carse Hills, and LH-CR.

Of course there are other VT spots on my radar, including the Stowe stuff, Millstone, and Northfield. Stowe has all the amenities and press, but that to me means it warrants its own full weekend trip. Plus These last three are close in distance, meaning they may make their own trip in the future.
    the draw for me here is that it is a nice place to ride to and camp...
    there is only 1 loop to ride, unless you explore up to widows clearing and the xc ski center that has a few trails. there are some vast trails here as well.

here's an interactive map of the area.
    MNRA Interactive Map Moosalamoo Association

you can toggle 'bike' trails. oak ridge is steep and tech in some spots, i have not ridden it yet.

i have ridden up brooks road and connected the trails around the reservoir.

if i were coming in from a ways out, this wouldn't be a place i'd pick - GMT, Carse, HTF are more suited to all day riding, and all that stuff loops back on itself and has options for easy - medium - hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    if i were coming in from a ways out, this wouldn't be a place i'd pick - GMT, Carse, HTF are more suited to all day riding, and all that stuff loops back on itself and has options for easy - medium - hard.
    I agree with all of that. Having ridden all three quite a bit, Lester Hollow/Chandler Ridge is sort of in a different category than GMT or Carse. It is beautiful, and the work done to put trail through some pretty rugged landscape is impressive, but the "fun factor" is a lot lower than GMT or Carse (in my opinion).

LH/CR is much closer to the "old school" logging road type riding a lot of us grew up with in the 80's and 90's, but without the erosion and mud of those days. GMT and Carse are destination worthy VT singletrack at its finest. More smiles per mile for sure!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    I agree with all of that. Having ridden all three quite a bit, Lester Hollow/Chandler Ridge is sort of in a different category than GMT or Carse. It is beautiful, and the work done to put trail through some pretty rugged landscape is impressive, but the "fun factor" is a lot lower than GMT or Carse (in my opinion).

LH/CR is much closer to the "old school" logging road type riding a lot of us grew up with in the 80's and 90's, but without the erosion and mud of those days. GMT and Carse are destination worthy VT singletrack at its finest. More smiles per mile for sure!
    I can't say that anything about Chandler Ridge is 'logging road' type of riding...! There are a few places that flow, but the rock / root ratio is pretty high. Maybe Minnie Baker on the way in, and Falls of Lana trail, as well as the connecting trail to Leicester Hollow from VT 73.

Leicester Hollow is a *little* more sedate, depending on how wet it is (does it ever dry in there...?)

Agree though, this is a great place to ride through, connect in to camping, or explore if you are in the neighborhood, but there are other places where you'll get more smiles per mile (especially if you are driving in from elsewhere...).

mtbr member
    I hear you guys. I sort of knew it was not a high profile place, and likely offered a different type of riding. I'm all for that type, I love an adventure off the beaten path. As mike pointed out there is camping, which I plan to do on this trip. But, I think I'll stick to HTF-Carse Hills. I'm driving from cape cod and hitting a classic place like this is probably a good idea. Thanks for the input!
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just rode the loop on Columbus Day. LH is probably 2/3 rds fire road/VAST and 1/3 singletrack. Chandler Ridge is all singletrack. It's a nice ride, but lacks the thrill and features of a place like Carse. It feels remote and it very beautiful in places, but the views of Dunmore and Silver lakes from Chandler are all partially obscured peeks through the trees. We didn't see any other mtb'ers there, only hikers.

the train keeps rollin
    Rode it this summer, besides the stinging netal, was fricken awesome! I started off silver lake rd trailhead, was told doing Leicester to Chandler was the best direction, which worked for me.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member

Good job!

I rode this today and it is pretty cool if you like a low-profile place to ride that still has some good ridge singletrack riding and some rock work. I wouldn't ride this all of the time as there is not that much terrain in there, but it was fine for me and my dog on an easy day. I'd go back as it is pretty nice and I have no problem riding old school trails now and then (really these trails are better than that anyway).

I left from Fay Road which was kind of cool. I also rode up and down Minnie Baker just to check it out and snag a little more vert.

This is a cool place if you want to try something off the beaten path.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I know this thread is old, but plan on riding this soon. Would it be worth parking one car at the end of silver lake road. Riding to silver lake, then chandler ridge and down minnie baker. And having a vehicle at the bottom of minnie baker?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    not really, I imagine shuttling this will add more overall time then just riding it.

I suggest you go before the nettles get to long. Or just go an pick nettles too cook later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just bought a place about half mile south of minnie baker. So will be checking it out soon. I ride a spec enduro evo so trying to figure out the route with least climbing

Members who have read this thread: 2