Rollin' a fatty Moderator

KT for winter riding, worth it?

Was planning on attending a fat bike race/rally on Saratoga Springs, NY and my son got the weekend on paid vacation so he could tag along (works on the restaurant business). This event is about 2.5hrs away from home and that got me thinking, we could drive to Vermont and do KT instead and fat bike Saturday afternoon and snowboard Sunday morning before the drive back home.

Is KT worth the drive/expense for winter riding?

Also, any recommendation on a cheap hotel to spend a night?

Thanks

beer thief
    I did just under 20 miles there last Saturday and it was fantastic. It was a little slick but studs were definitely not required. I know KT is not loved by everyone but it is pretty magical with a layer of white concrete.

Just made our reservation, will be at KT 2/10 in the afternoon and on Burke Mountain 2/11 in the morning.

mtbr member
    Definitely worth it. Fatbikes only. Heading there for Winterbike in early March.

Wasted my time going to KT, the conditions were soft and the trails closed so the bikes (actual reason for going) saw no action.

Visited Saint J Brewing and my son had a blast at Jay Peak to save the trip. Also found out that Jay Peak has fat bike trails, their Nordic Center is the place to go to get the pass and rentals if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Fat biking is a fickle beast. A trip to KT is worth it if temps and conditions line up. Its hard to find a bigger network of groomed singletrack around.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    When we go to KT in the winter we always bring our fat bikes, hok skis, downhill skis and drinking gloves. Always something to do.

banned
    Nov 2017
    When I used to pay taxes and spend a lot of time in E Burke I always referred to the MTB riding as an added bonus to the wonderful uncrowded ski area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    When I used to pay taxes and spend a lot of time in E Burke I always referred to the MTB riding as an added bonus to the wonderful uncrowded ski area.
    Agreed. I started skiing at Burke in '79. Skiing is how I fell in love with the area.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Agreed. I started skiing at Burke in '79. Skiing is how I fell in love with the area.
    So overlooked, so underrated. Wish the MTB riding was like that there😐

I did quite a bit of glade thinning, er I mean "bird watching" around the Burke Mtn massif many moon ago. Was so nice having lines set aside that I could hit a week or more after a storm that I knew no one knew were there. But as you know even the low hanging inbounds stuff stayed fresh far longer than at places like Jay. I used to have a Burke/Jay midweek seasons pass that they sold for 199.00. Barely ever bothered with Jay unless Burke got zero and Jay was hero from a snow event. Gotta get back to Burke for some turns soon, sigh.....

banned
    Nov 2017
    A friend was at KT today, and based on his pic here and prose I'd have to say no, driving all the way to KT to pay to ride snowmobile trail width groomed fatbike trails isn't worth it when there is so much other great and better riding close to home for free.

Snowmobile trails aren't singletrack. He said trails were slick but he didn't need studs cuz he had a droppah post. We both got a good laugh out of that. He funneh 

If trails are firm and especially if studs are needed to stay upright, riding a fatbike makes zero sense to me. Especially after having owned them. Those snowmobile trails at KT would be way more fun and fast on skinny tires IMO.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  51.9 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KT for winter riding, worth it?-image.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Not sure which trails your friend was riding but the fat bike trails are the same ST summer trails. The groomed width is about 2'. One of those, VAST, is a snowmobile trail that acts as a connector but everything else is traditional ST.

And if you bought a summer pass for $75 at KT you also get a free winter pass.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Trails like culvert cut pictured above aren't vast trails tho right? 75.00 seems reasonable for pay to play riding.

mtbr member
    Culvert Cut is a single track trail and that photo is very deceptive. The snow pack covers and packs down all the ground vegetation which may make the trail feel wider than it is. That groomed section looks to be about 2' wide though.

You should definitely try out KT on a fat bike. I can guarantee it is fun. Very fast trails and they do a great job grooming. I have ridden there with studs and without.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Thank you for your experienced input. I'll get up there at some point for sure.👍

mtbr member
    Here is a photo that is more representative of the tails at KT.
    KT for winter riding, worth it?-27545275_10155299029513170_5181762680208019956_n.jpg

banned
    Nov 2017
    Ah now I see. Almost as smooth as the trails are in summer!!!😜