mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Kingdom Trails: WTF Quebec?

We made an error (failed to check the Canadian holiday calendar) and visited East Burke on Victoria Day weekend. Cycling crowds I can handle. Rude crowds are another matter. What is in the water north of the border that causes these people to "race" up singletrack climbs, pushing past everyone else in line? We witnessed 2 matching outfitted "pretend team" riders blow by a couple of pre-teen girls who were trying to make it up Hogback. They weren't in a hurry to get any where because when we got to the top of the climb, they're just sitting there. Was this a Strava segment we should have known about?

I'm aware of the ugly American tourist stereotype, but damn it if New France isn't trying to win the title.

mtbr member
    Welcome to KT. This is not entirely uncommon.

To make you feel better I passed a couple of dudes just like you describe going up Hogback last season. Two couples decked out in their subway kits just taking their time. No problem. When I came up behind them I was simply going to follow but the dudes looked at me, said something in French lite, laughed and then started to sprint past the ladies. I followed and passed them on the last climb before sidewinder. They were not happy to be passed in front of their ladies and I probably had 20 years on those guys. I guess the old testosterone kicked in.

BTW, I do use Strava but never at the expense of other riders. Just for personal goals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    These are always fun. I'm going to Qc in 2 weeks to Salmon fish in the Gaspe with my pop. They are the nicest folks out there. I would contend that it's Montreal and not Qc that has issue, which is the same issue folks from Boston, New York, DC, or any other metropolis exhibit. As for the KT, great riding can't exist once you cross a threshold of rider numbers. It's still biking....in the mtns.....but the charm is gone and you might as well just drink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I'm going to Qc in 2 weeks to Salmon fish in the Gaspe with my pop.
    Lucky!
    "Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go. We just ride." - Robert Hunter

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharny View Post
    Lucky!
    Yup. Can't really afford it, but F it. It's incredible up there, my Dad doesn't have many more trips like this in him. North East Quebec is sweet. Once you hit Rimouski it's like you're in a different country.

mtbr member
    Gaspe!!!! Dave enjoy the crap out of that.....on my bucket list.

As for rudeness from the north......I posted a thread on here a few years back that started a bit of a holy war of debate and eventually we got in touch with some guys that are close to the mgt of the Subway club and things were decent the past few years. But there are always pockets of doucheness from both US and Qu riders.

Last weekend we rode with some of our good friends from QC and they were awesome as usual. They even shake their heads at the D-bags on the trails as well.

What I have found about the quick sprinting "kitted crowd" in their adult onesies is like their French heritage may suggest (I'm part French Canadian......self loath maybe?) they can start something but they give up easy. They usually race up a hill, die at the top and then glare at you.......I find this fun.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Gaspe!!!! Dave enjoy the crap out of that.....on my bucket list.

As for rudeness from the north......I posted a thread on here a few years back that started a bit of a holy war of debate and eventually we got in touch with some guys that are close to the mgt of the Subway club and things were decent the past few years. But there are always pockets of doucheness from both US and Qu riders.

Last weekend we rode with some of our good friends from QC and they were awesome as usual. They even shake their heads at the D-bags on the trails as well.

What I have found about the quick sprinting "kitted crowd" in their adult onesies is like their French heritage may suggest (I'm part French Canadian......self loath maybe?) they can start something but they give up easy. They usually race up a hill, die at the top and then glare at you.......I find this fun.
    Yea, it's awesome. Been twice. Once to ski, once to fish. Not much out there but forest, wind, and mining industry. Some tourism but it's gone once you get into the parc. Driving along the Hwy you have steep 3000+ foot mtns coming right down to the sea. We watched whales breach from the car as we rolled through tiny fishing towns and gawked at more fishing and skiing then one could explore in a life time.

People in groups are *****. They lose their sense of accountability and the Mob takes over. I will always avoid these riding scenes. Kingdom, and now other towns trying to emulate it. Steaux is the new gong show. Killington, Waitsfield wants it bad. Last time I was on a trail project in Stowe we were all in utter disbelief at the folks we encountered on the trail. Any faith I had about the demographic of MTBers as we move into a more exclusive price point on gear was eroded. I'll never give those people an opportunity to affect my bike time. It's far too precious to me to deal with that crap. As I have said, the folks out east are the true grit of the land, down to earth, and in love with nature. Just like us.

mtbr member
    I've encountered lots of rude and/or clueless Canadians, and also many that are super friendly and courteous. Of course people run the gambit in this regard and I don't think it really has anything to do with where they are from. There was a guy I ran into at KT one time that passed me twice up the switchback climb out of Sidewinder, he was just lapping those two trails over and over. Dude was awesome. I'd here him coming up the switchbacks encouraging me and hooting and hollering then he'd zoom past me like I was standing still. Ended up seeing him while having a beer at the picnic tables next to the bike shop. Wicked nice guy.

The one thing I have noticed many times regarding the kitted out QC's is their fondness for riding in massive groups at very high speeds up climbs. I'm talking 10, 15, 20 riders in some of these groups. The worst was at Millstone a few years ago when I stopped on a descent to let 20 of these dudes rage their climb together. This, I find to be particular to the QC's but maybe Americans do that as well and I've just never seen it.
    All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    It's been my experience over the past 10 years or so that when they do that on the climbs....they all stop at the top.....WTF is the point.....do they give out prizes at the top for the top 3 riders up a 200yd climb? lol I guess if they could hammer the climb and maintain that pace they would be at an actual race instead....

The only thing that really bothers me is the large group sizes.....they slinky through the trails all day long clogging up intersections etc......if there are multiple levels of fitness and ability in the group then split it up into smaller groups....it is the best marked trail system ever.....and the new kiosks are all over the place.......

Oh and I love the new "single file" signs every where as well.....we then watched about 30 Canadians ride right past then 3-4 abreast on Darling hill.......shmucks....signs are in French too......

Either way....just ride.....laugh at the idiots and say hi to everyone not being a shmuck....life is too short
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's road-biking in the woods now. Gear, garb, elitism, attitude-- the whole roadie culture has arrived and is taking over here in VT.