Kingdom Trails Trip Late June - Early July?- Mtbr.com
    customized
    Sep 2003

Kingdom Trails Trip Late June - Early July?

There has been some interest in a KTA trip around the end of the month. There are two possible weekends to make this happen before a fellow rider goes away for a while. The weekend of June 25th and the weekend of July 3rd.

There are a couple options. We can either just drive up on Saturday or Sunday either of those weekends, ride and then go home or we can go up the day/night before and either camp right in the middle of the trail system or stay at a local campground. Staying over sure makes the trip up more worthwhile, especially if we can get two days of riding in there. For those who can't stay, then we can meet up on the trail head at a specified time to go riding.

KTA is about 2 hours north of Concord NH, about 3 hours from the seacoast and about 3 hours from the Boston area. I would rather split all that driving between two days if I had a choice.

It would be extremely easy to put together two 20 mile loops of the buffest singletrack most of us have ever seen. Would be a great time to take some amazing photographs.

Any thoughts or interest?

Louis
    Last edited by Severum; 06-01-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Feb 2004
    Weekend of the 25th is out for me.

Back on the wagon
    I probably shouldn't go on the weekend of the 3rd, unless I could be back for the 4th (and the GF's obligatory family gathering...). If I can be back for the 4th, either weekend works for me.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
    I probably shouldn't go on the weekend of the 3rd, unless I could be back for the 4th (and the GF's obligatory family gathering...). .

I second that except I have a wife not a GF.

25th for me yo!
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Jason, is Sushi good for the 25th? You looking to stay the night?

How about you Greg? Day trip or overnight?

This rocks.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Jason, is Sushi good for the 25th? You looking to stay the night?

How about you Greg? Day trip or overnight?

This rocks.
    Day trippin for me.
    what is 828???

Greg
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Day trippin for me.

Greg
    What time in the morning would you like to ride? I think I will be going up the day before. Just want you (and anyone else) to have enough time to get up there comfortably. No need to get up at the crack of dawn. I think a noon start time would work. That way no one has to get up at 6am and everyone can be home before dark.

Thoughts?

customized
    Sep 2003
    what is 828???

Greg
    Miles to ride before 2006.

mtbr member
    I would like to go. right now the 25th is open. I would like to stay up there over night at least and get two days of riding in. keep me informed.

however I leave for europe on sunday so I'll be out of internet contact for 2 weeks.
    b

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I would like to go. right now the 25th is open. I would like to stay up there over night at least and get two days of riding in. keep me informed.
    Works for me Brian. We can camp onsite or stay in a cabin offsite. Last year we stayed in Littleton (KOA) in a 4 person cabin for like $65 for that night. I would like to do the cabin. It is a half hour drive from KTA. I am sure there are closer places as well. Let me know on here or in PM/email.

Two days is best cause we can hit all the best trails. If we work it well we can do a night ride as well.

Black Lion
    Works for me Brian. We can camp onsite or stay in a cabin offsite. Last year we stayed in Littleton (KOA) in a 4 person cabin for like $65 for that night. I would like to do the cabin. It is a half hour drive from KTA. I am sure there are closer places as well. Let me know on here or in PM/email.

Two days is best cause we can hit all the best trails. If we work it well we can do a night ride as well.

I am down for that as well. I just got all excited here.
    Let me start working in the plans to my better half.
    Louis put me down at like 75 percent.

Greg
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    I am down for that as well. I just got all excited here.
    Let me start working in the plans to my better half.
    Louis put me down at like 75 percent.

Greg
    You interested in tent or cabin camping?

Did the three rides ring your bell? I have a sweet night route in mind... about 10 miles.

Born of Fire
    I might be able to pull that off. One day would not be enough for me. I'll have to start working on the wife now.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Saturday/Sunday would be the best days for the maximum amount of riding.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I am researching lodging. Looks like the KOA cabins are all booked.

customized
    Sep 2003
    No cabins available.

We will be camping right at the base of Burke mountain. They have free showers and water right there. Each campsite is $15 a night no matter how many people.

The details as I can figure would be we would get to KTA by noon, ride a 20 mile loop on the Darling Hill side. Eat a camp cooked dinner. Let it settle and hit the trails for a night ride about 8pm. 8-10 miles on the darling hill side. Hit the sack by 12. Get up, eat breakfast… ride at like 11am on Burke mountain… 10-15 miles then pack up and hit it. Be home before dark on Sunday.

Let's set this in stone. One other rider and this ride is a go as planned above.

mtbr member
    tent camp for sure. but no laughing at my inflateable mattress.
    b

customized
    Sep 2003
    I need to buy a big tent anyway, so I will have at least a 4 person tent. Does anyone else that is going have a tent? How about a big tent?

Pufdup, if you can arrange the trip up I'll be sure to wrangle an extra set of lights for you to use.

Louis

mtbr member
    I have a tent. but I don't know you guys well enough to share it with you. =)
    b

customized
    Sep 2003
    That's pretty funny. Your gonna be so tired after that first day (as will I) of riding that you won't care where you sleep.

cranktankerous Mainer
    75% in for both days.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

Black Lion

Yikes!
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    I'll reserve a campsite at Burke tomorrow. Looks like there is enough interest.

Back on the wagon
    I'll reserve a campsite at Burke tomorrow. Looks like there is enough interest.
    Reserve two! I'm pretty sure Suresh is in for the weekend. He registered for MTBR, but they won't let him post yet for some reason.... Either way, I'm definitely in for that weekend! I have a two person tent I'll bring. The real question is: Who's bringing the huge coleman stove so we can cook in style?
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I've got a two burner coleman. What do we want to eat that night, spaghetti?

Back on the wagon
    I've got a two burner coleman. What do we want to eat that night, spaghetti?
    OOOOHHHHHH..... I'm making my homemade I-talian meat sauce! Enough for all! Unless people want something else....
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

cranktankerous Mainer
    Damn It! I'm out. I have to drive to New Jersey that weekend and bury my Grandmother...although I'm sure she would't mind if I spread her ashes all over the Kingdom Trails. I'll try to contact her on the other side, but for now I'm 100% sure I can't make the 25th.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

customized
    Sep 2003
    OOOOHHHHHH..... I'm making my homemade I-talian meat sauce! Enough for all! Unless people want something else....
    That sounds good. Really good. Do you relize how good that is gonna taste after that long ride. Camping makes everything taste even better. I was planning on getting a big stash of vegtables and have a big salad as well. Sound good?

Me and you need to talk about what you need and who is bringing it. I am down to pick up anything and everything if needed.

Anyone have ideas for breakfast? We need go juice.

Louis

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski
    Damn It! I'm out. I have to drive to New Jersey that weekend and bury my Grandmother...although I'm sure she would't mind if I spread her ashes all over the Kingdom Trails. I'll try to contact her on the other side, but for now I'm 100% sure I can't make the 25th.
    My condolences Todd.

Maybe another time, i will be sure to rip it up on your behalf.

Greg
    Voltron

Black Lion
    That sounds good. Really good. Do you relize how good that is gonna taste after that long ride. Camping makes everything taste even better. I was planning on getting a big stash of vegtables and have a big salad as well. Sound good?

Me and you need to talk about what you need and who is bringing it. I am down to pick up anything and everything if needed.

Anyone have ideas for breakfast? We need go juice.

Louis
    I am in for sure (barring some unforseen disaster)

Hey I will bring energy drinks to the maximum. Red Bulls, Cytomax whatever floats yall's boats. In fact I will take care of all things beverage.
    Lets get a concensus on supplies everyone wants.

As many of you know I like RedBulls, so I will have plenty of those. I will bring mondo jugs of water for rides and whatever. I can bring some sodas or beers whatever you guys want.

Greg
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    I am in for sure (barring some unforseen disaster)

Hey I will bring energy drinks to the maximum. Red Bulls, Cytomax whatever floats yall's boats. In fact I will take care of all things beverage.
    Lets get a concensus on supplies everyone wants.

As many of you know I like RedBulls, so I will have plenty of those. I will bring mondo jugs of water for rides and whatever. I can bring some sodas or beers whatever you guys want.

Greg
    I am bringing a tub of recoverite and tons of gels. I am also bringing some Perpetuem.

Cyto will work well Greg. Shouldn't need anything other than that. 10-15 gallons of water should suffice. A Red Bull with breakfast will get the motors running.

Black Lion
    I am bringing a tub of recoverite and tons of gels. I am also bringing some Perpetuem.

Cyto will work well Greg. Shouldn't need anything other than that. 10-15 gallons of water should suffice. A Red Bull with breakfast will get the motors running.

Get a list running Louis.
    who's bringging what.

The big thing is I do not have a tent.

Greg
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Get a list running Louis.
    who's bringging what.

The big thing is I do not have a tent.

Greg
    I'm all over that... I love planning things.

Your all set for a tent. I am picking one up this weekend. I am getting a 4 person tent.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Cool.
    That is why you are the "cruise director".
    Email me details about Sunday.

Black Lion
    I'm all over that... I love planning things.

Your all set for a tent. I am picking one up this weekend. I am getting a 4 person tent.

Cool.
    That is why you are the "cruise director".
    Voltron

AussieLostInNyc

New question here. Don't want to impose but...

A friend and I are coming up to ride that weekend. Actually we will arrive friday after the Bob Dylan concert in Pittsfield. All part of my first American bike trip experience.
    I was going to post to see who was around and offer beers at the end of the day for someone to show us a few trails. Is it possible to tag onto one of your rides perhaps?
    Is the area SS friendly? We were going to do the camping option as well, do you need to prebook? Sorry, lot's of questions but I am excited at the concept of consecutive riding days!
    Gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    A friend and I are coming up to ride that weekend. Actually we will arrive friday after the Bob Dylan concert in Pittsfield. All part of my first American bike trip experience.
    I was going to post to see who was around and offer beers at the end of the day for someone to show us a few trails. Is it possible to tag onto one of your rides perhaps?
    Is the area SS friendly? We were going to do the camping option as well, do you need to prebook? Sorry, lot's of questions but I am excited at the concept of consecutive riding days!
    Gumby
    Very SS friendly and yes you can tag onto one of our rides, no beers needed. You should prebook your site as well.

mtbr member

Woo Hoo!

This sounds great! I'm pretty sure I will go too, perhaps we should take a rough tally so we can order enough campsites while we still can. Nice one Louis.

Gumby, Kingdom Trails is very ss friendly, the singletrack is the smoothest I've ever seen. Hope you can join us mate.

customized
    Sep 2003
    This is what I have

Severum
    YoGreg
    PutAwayWet
    Sushi
    Merrimack Dave
    Pufdup
    BrianC
    and a couple other potentials that haven't spoke up yet.

Looks like we will have one 4-man tent and two 2-man tents. Does anyone else have a tent? I am picking one up tomorrow, maybe I should just get a 6-man instead of a 4.

Also, I am thinking of going up Friday night since we have to book two nights anyway. Anyone is welcome to come up as well.
    Louis

AussieLostInNyc

I am 99% in.

I will confirm with my friend tonight.
    We have a tent. What are the details to book,(name and number?) we will stay fri, sat and sun night then drive back to NYC on monday. This sounds like it is going to be great.
    Can someone book some good weather and we are laughing.
    Is it best to bring the supplies to cook or are there places a short drive away, ie a pub with all you need after a ride; beer, food, beer, pool table, repeat.
    Gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

customized
    Sep 2003
    I will confirm with my friend tonight.
    We have a tent. What are the details to book,(name and number?) we will stay fri, sat and sun night then drive back to NYC on monday. This sounds like it is going to be great.
    Can someone book some good weather and we are laughing.
    Is it best to bring the supplies to cook or are there places a short drive away, ie a pub with all you need after a ride; beer, food, beer, pool table, repeat.
    Gumby
    Since you guys will be there a day extra, call up the Burke Campground and get a site for the three days. Post your site number on here and I will try to get one near by. If I don't hear from you, I will post our site numbers for you to do the same.

I would bring stuff to cook with and maybe plan one meal out. We will be having all our means prepared.

This will be a great trip for sure.

May 2005
    Louis,

Thanks for putting this together. I am a lock. I have a two person tent I can bring too. let me know if we still need it.

Sounds like an excellent crew lined up.

Peace

Suresh

Born of Fire
    I wouldn't mind going up Friday as well. It's a four hour ride for me. I also have a tent to use.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Pufdup, sounds like we will set it up to camp Friday night and be ready for these guys on Saturday morning. About what time do you think you can get up there?

Sushi, I will let you know if we need that extra tent. I think as of right now we are all set, but I think we haven't heard from everyone. I will be buying that 4-man as I wanted. Woohoo.

I will plan more details with the guys that are going on Thursdays Concord ride and post any new info on here.

mtbr member
    Louis -- Can I get in on this ride?

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by skibud2
    Louis -- Can I get in on this ride?
    Of course. This trip is going to rock.

mtbr member
    I can't fit this trip into the schedule. I plan on getting up to KT in late July or August. I’m taking lots of vacation time then. If you need to borrow a light or tent, let me know. We can meet up at Aggie or I can drop it off at Crum’s for Mike Z. to pick up. Have fun.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by aveski2000
    I can't fit this trip into the schedule. I plan on getting up to KT in late July or August. I’m taking lots of vacation time then. If you need to borrow a light or tent, let me know. We can meet up at Aggie or I can drop it off at Crum’s for Mike Z. to pick up. Have fun.
    Keep me in mind when you do go up, I more than likely will be able to make the trip. I can't get enough of that place... and my parents live only an hour away.

customized
    Sep 2003
    This may sound like an odd request, but for everyone that is coming please email me at [email protected] your cell phone number and an emergency contact number. I'll be sure that multiple people on the trip have this info. If you don't have a cell phone, just email me your home phone.

Back on the wagon
    Man, listening to what you guys are bringing sounds like waiting in line at the pharmacy counter! Of course, I'll be bringing Endura and lots of clif bars. Who's the lucky one that gets to share a tent with me?

Oh, and I have dinner taken care of for one night for everyone. I'll just need the final count so I can know how much to bring. What are you bringing, you ask? Home made I-talian meat sauce, with some good bread and pasta. I can't promise you'll like my sauce, but I can promise it will be good. I can't help it if your taste buds are broken.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Man, listening to what you guys are bringing sounds like waiting in line at the pharmacy counter! Of course, I'll be bringing Endura and lots of clif bars. Who's the lucky one that gets to share a tent with me?

Oh, and I have dinner taken care of for one night for everyone. I'll just need the final count so I can know how much to bring. What are you bringing, you ask? Home made I-talian meat sauce, with some good bread and pasta. I can't promise you'll like my sauce, but I can promise it will be good. I can't help it if your taste buds are broken.
    Sushi can share that tent with you. They say smell triggers memories over any other sense. He will remember you at least once a day for sure once he moves away.

customized
    Sep 2003
    So I ended up getting a six man tent. We should be all set on sleeping arrangements. Sushi, I would bring yours just in case, you never know...

Anyone have any ideas for breakfast on Sunday? Something premade or cooked? Either way isn't a problem. All I care is that I have energy for the ride. I'll bring a variety of fruit to supplement.

Jason has Saturday dinner covered, I will bring stuff for a monster salad as well.

Black Lion

2 words

Pan-cakes!

I just know that I can't cook em'.

Greg
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Pan-cakes!

I just know that I can't cook em'.

Greg
    As long as someone will cook them, then I will bring the stuff for them. Sounds very yummy. I got two better words for you.

Buttermilk Pancakes. How about real maple syrup?

If someone has food allergies, please speak up... even if it is PM or email.

Back on the wagon
    As long as someone will cook them, then I will bring the stuff for them. Sounds very yummy. I got two better words for you.

Buttermilk Pancakes. How about real maple syrup?

If someone has food allergies, please speak up... even if it is PM or email.
    I got two even better words for you: Blueberry Pancakes! As for me, I'll probably be eating twigs, leaves, and berries for breakfast (Museli). I haven't found a better fuel to start the day with yet...
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    I got two even better words for you: Blueberry Pancakes! As for me, I'll probably be eating twigs, leaves, and berries for breakfast (Museli). I haven't found a better fuel to start the day with yet...
    What the heck is Museli?
    Cereal?

Greg
    Voltron

Back on the wagon
    What the heck is Museli?
    Cereal?

Greg
    Yeah - oat and wheat flakes, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, rasins, and cranberries. You know, twigs, leaves, and berries? The perfect balance of simple & complex carbs, fats, protein, and trace minerals that are hard to get....all in one meal!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    Yeah - oat and wheat flakes, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, rasins, and cranberries. You know, twigs, leaves, and berries? The perfect balance of simple & complex carbs, fats, protein, and trace minerals that are hard to get....all in one meal!
    Yikes!
    No wonder why you are always farting.
    I think I will just stay with my Honey nut cherios and bananna slices.

Greg
    Voltron

Back on the wagon
    Gumby
    You definitely wouldn't be imposing. There's a good chance (read: of course I will) I'll have my SS there. I'll probably bring the gearie too, from what I've heard about the place. But you won't be the only SSer there!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003

Slight change of plans

We will be staying at Brighton State Park. Burke is all filled up. Not an issue, Brighton is close enough to Burke that it won't interfere with our riding plans.

Brighton is the top park in Vermont. Unless things change, we will be in sites 11 & 12. I have it reserved for 12 people for Friday and Saturday night. I and a few others will be going up to stay Friday night. Let me know if you plan on coming up early. If we need more than 12 people, then I will make arrangements.

Site 11 and 12 are more secluded than the other sites so Jason can run around in his tiger striped underpants in peace.

Back on the wagon
    Site 11 and 12 are more secluded than the other sites so Jason can run around in his tiger striped underpants in peace.
    Just for the record, I wasn't the one with tiger stripes. I might just buy a leopard print thong for the occasion, just for you!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    Just for the record, I wasn't the one with tiger stripes. I might just buy a leopard print thong for the occasion, just for you!

yikes!.
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    All reserved... sites 11 & 12 for the 24th and 25th.

https://www.vtstateparks.com/img/brighton.gif

Louis

Black Lion
    All reserved... sites 11 & 12 for the 24th and 25th.

https://www.vtstateparks.com/img/brighton.gif

Louis
    Good work Louis!

All hail Louis,
    King of all planners.

Greg
    Voltron

AussieLostInNyc

Camp Site

Louis, I emailed and had not yet heard back from Burke.
    I will swap to the new one posted and call them today
    and reserve near sites 11 and 12?
    Anyone around to ride friday afternoon?
    Simon aka gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Back on the wagon
    Simon aka gumby
    Around where? I'm on the coast of New Hampshire / border of Maine if you're in the area...

Edit: Oops, now I understand. You mean Friday the 24th. I'm a bit slow today...
    Last edited by PutAwayWet; 06-06-2005 at 12:43 PM.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Simon aka gumby
    Check out the map and find something near us. The number to call to schedule is 1-888-409-7579.

I will be there for a possible Friday dusk ride. I will try to be up there as early as I can. I will let you know for sure when.

I have the 24th off from work, so I shuold be up there pretty early. What time can you be there Gumby?
    Last edited by Severum; 06-06-2005 at 03:26 PM.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Good work Louis!

All hail Louis,
    King of all planners.

Greg
    You have no idea man.

customized
    Sep 2003
    So looks like the following are most likely going to be in our main group.

YoGreg
    MerrimackDave
    Sushi
    PutAwayWet
    SkiBud2
    Severum
    BrianC

I also have a possability for Pufdup.

Anyone else that wants in, please speak up. This will be one great ride.

AussieLostInNyc

All booked

Hi Severum, I have managed to get a booking at both sites!
    Burke was a little slow so I will cancel theirs today and we are at
    #13 at Brighton. We will hopefullly arrive midday'ish. I will chat to my friend and
    let you know.
    I have also pm our contact details to you etc as you mentioned earlier.
    Looking forward to it.
    Can anyone rattle off a few trail names etc so I can down load maps and check them out?
    Gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

customized
    Sep 2003
    Hi Severum, I have managed to get a booking at both sites!
    Burke was a little slow so I will cancel theirs today and we are at
    #13 at Brighton. We will hopefullly arrive midday'ish. I will chat to my friend and
    let you know.
    I have also pm our contact details to you etc as you mentioned earlier.
    Looking forward to it.
    Can anyone rattle off a few trail names etc so I can down load maps and check them out?
    Gumby
    How did you get a site at Burke? The place was totally booked when I called Monday. Oh well, Brighton is a better place anyway. Sweet, #13 is in the same area as us. You guys want to join us for Saturday dinner? We would be happy to have you.

A couple trails to hunt for are Tody's Tour, Webs, Kitchel, Pines, Dead Mooose Alley, and Leatherwood. Almost everytrail there is spectacular.

Back on the wagon
    How did you get a site at Burke? The place was totally booked when I called Monday. Oh well, Brighton is a better place anyway. Sweet, #13 is in the same area as us. You guys want to join us for Saturday dinner? We would be happy to have you.

A couple trails to hunt for are Tody's Tour, Webs, Kitchel, Pines, Dead Mooose Alley, and Leatherwood. Almost everytrail there is spectacular.
    I was told last night by some KT vets that Dead Moose Alley and Moose Alley are the two absolute must rides there. Of course, they also said everything is good - but those were the best.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I was told last night by some KT vets that Dead Moose Alley and Moose Alley are the two absolute must rides there. Of course, they also said everything is good - but those were the best.
    You don't have to worry about hitting certain trails or not. I have seen them all and you won't be disappointed. We will be hitting ALL the cool trails.

Those two will be ridden on Sunday morning unless we get there early enough on Friday to hit them. I am hoping we can do at least a 5 mile ride Friday before dark.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Severum]We will be staying at Brighton State Park. Burke is all filled up. Not an issue, Brighton is close enough to Burke that it won't interfere with our riding plans.

Brighton is the top park in Vermont. Unless things change, we will be in sites 11 & 12. I have it reserved for 12 people for Friday and Saturday night. I and a few others will be going up to stay Friday night. Let me know if you plan on coming up early. If we need more than 12 people, then I will make arrangements.

Severum, How close is Burke campground to the trailhead/s? Can you ride from campground to trailhead? It would be nice to make the trip with your group but it's short notice. I am planning a trip, first time there, and I'm looking for the best campground, preferrably one you can reach the trails from by bike. Thanks!

AussieLostInNyc

Bonking ... not feelin' well This is killing me

Short and sweet.
    So my friend who had the time off and was driving now has to work...
    I can't come and play. Devastated.
    Before I cancel both my sites, one at burke, one at brighton, does anyone need either one of them?
    I have site 5 at burke and 13 at brighton next to the group.
    Hope everyone has fun and I hope to get up there another time.
    Gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

customized
    Sep 2003
    Short and sweet.
    So my friend who had the time off and was driving now has to work...
    I can't come and play. Devastated.
    Before I cancel both my sites, one at burke, one at brighton, does anyone need either one of them?
    I have site 5 at burke and 13 at brighton next to the group.
    Hope everyone has fun and I hope to get up there another time.
    Gumby
    I am all set with sites. Sucks we can't meet you guys. Another time.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraide
    Severum, How close is Burke campground to the trailhead/s? Can you ride from campground to trailhead? It would be nice to make the trip with your group but it's short notice. I am planning a trip, first time there, and I'm looking for the best campground, preferrably one you can reach the trails from by bike. Thanks!
    I just noticed your post. All the sites within biking distance are booked up. Brighton is about as close as you can get and I am sure they are available. We'd be happy to have you along. If your interested in staying at the camp with our group, let me know. From the looks of it you have been riding a while and have a top notch rig. Our group is super cool with no egos and welcome others like that.

Louis

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraide
    Severum, How close is Burke campground to the trailhead/s? Can you ride from campground to trailhead?
    They say the drive is about 20 minutes to Burke from Brighton.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Oh, if you want a cool swim anytime be sure to bring something proper to swim in. There is a beach right near our campsite.

Back on the wagon
    Oh, if you want a cool swim anytime be sure to bring something proper to swim in. There is a beach right near our campsite.
    SWEET!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    just trying to keep everyone excited.

Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    just trying to keep everyone excited.

I am beyond excitement!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg ST.jpg (172.2 KB, 103 views)

Black Lion
    I am beyond excitement!
    that's what i'm talking 'bout.
    Voltron

Back on the wagon
    Sweet pic! That trail looks like Gunnar material. That means I'll have to bring both bikes
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    Sweet pic! That trail looks like Gunnar material. That means I'll have to bring both bikes

You should.
    I may be bringing two bikes as well.

Greg
    Voltron

Back on the wagon
    You should.
    I may be bringing two bikes as well.

Greg
    What's your other bike? I'm bringing the Gunnar and this:
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Is your friend coming up with you Jason? I may carpool up with Suresh if you say yes. just trying to figure it out.

Back on the wagon
    Is your friend coming up with you Jason? I may carpool up with Suresh if you say yes. just trying to figure it out.
    I haven't heard from him yet. I'll shoot him an email again. Carpooling is the way to go, fo sho!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003

Buff???

Crappy trail ehh?

customized
    Sep 2003
    Another pic

customized
    Sep 2003
    I haven't heard from him yet. I'll shoot him an email again. Carpooling is the way to go, fo sho!
    Let me know when you find out. It's not a big deal either way, I was going to bring two bikes if I came up alone. I really only need one and the company for the ride up would be good.

Back on the wagon
    Nice pics! I'm doing my pagan "no rain" dance, with full bee suit, glasses, and all. I just got my new headset for the SS last night - man what a difference in beefiness between that aheadset and the new FSA! Of course, the directions included in the FSA did not include my model... I think it got put together right. I need to put a new drivetrain on the gunnar before we go. The other night at Ft. Rock it was skipping like crazy. I guess I can't be too upset about 1200+ miles on one chain, cassette, and middle ring, huh?
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Nice pics! I'm doing my pagan "no rain" dance, with full bee suit, glasses, and all. I just got my new headset for the SS last night - man what a difference in beefiness between that aheadset and the new FSA! Of course, the directions included in the FSA did not include my model... I think it got put together right. I need to put a new drivetrain on the gunnar before we go. The other night at Ft. Rock it was skipping like crazy. I guess I can't be too upset about 1200+ miles on one chain, cassette, and middle ring, huh?
    If you ran one chain for that many miles, that is why your drivetrain is toast. You should have changed that chain at least twice if not three times. You wore your rings down with a stretched chain.

Don't do any dumbass dances. Why the f*ck would you bring rain up? Damn dude. I am heading up no matter what.

Back on the wagon
    If you ran one chain for that many miles, that is why your drivetrain is toast. You should have changed that chain at least twice if not three times. You wore your rings down with a stretched chain.
    Yes, I know that. But don't you usually have to swap out a cassette and chainring after that many miles anyway? The way I see it, I saved money on not buying two more chains.
    Don't do any dumbass dances. Why the f*ck would you bring rain up? Damn dude. I am heading up no matter what.
    Ah, grasshopper. Because you ignore the ways of the weather does not mean that weather does not happen. Be one with the winds, drink of the raindrops, and wear safety glasses in large hail. Accept the weather for what it is, thank the clouds for watering my garden, and they will reward us with 65 degrees and 25% humidity for our riding adventures! Such is the mystique of mother nature.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Yes, I know that. But don't you usually have to swap out a cassette and chainring after that many miles anyway? The way I see it, I saved money on not buying two more chains.

Ah, grasshopper. Because you ignore the ways of the weather does not mean that weather does not happen. Be one with the winds, drink of the raindrops, and wear safety glasses in large hail. Accept the weather for what it is, thank the clouds for watering my garden, and they will reward us with 65 degrees and 25% humidity for our riding adventures! Such is the mystique of mother nature.
    With the power you throw down, you take some grand chances wearing your drivetrain so. Imagine hiking 10 miles out of Agy cause you gear is torn up. As you will though. And no, cassettes and chainrings can easily last longer than 1200 miles. Keep them clean with a fresh chain and they can last. Btw, I buy up chains over the winter. I got 6 PC-69 chains for $13 each.

I agree Mr. Locust! I was kidding about the rain stuff. As I said, I am on my way up regardless of weather.

Black Lion

It's a surprise, if I decide to bring it on the trip.

Lets not talk about how often I rotate chains on my rig.

Greg
    Voltron

Black Lion
    Yoda Voice please???
    65 degrees and 25% humidity would be a dream.

On last nights ride I was dressed like it was winter. Arm and leg warmers in June.
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    It's a surprise, if I decide to bring it on the trip.

Lets not talk about how often I rotate chains on my rig.

Greg
    Your the most finicky bike guy in the world though. The slightest tick gets a whole new drivetrain where as most people would get 500 more miles on the chain alone.
    Last edited by Severum; 06-16-2005 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    That looks so sweet. Have fun guys. I have to take my son to college orientation in July. I’m planning on us riding KT on July 28. Maybe hit Red Tail on the way back on July 30. See ya at Bear Brook.

customized
    Sep 2003
    We will have two picnic tables at the campsites. The ones I picked are set off from the rest.

Trail use is $6 per day. Believe me, it is so worth it. I have a season pass that is $25.

Looks like the crew for sure is

YoGreg
    Severum
    Putawaywet
    Sushi
    MerrimackDave
    SkiBud
    BrianC

Pufdup and a couple others may join us. Not sure yet.

Black Lion
    We will have two picnic tables at the campsites. The ones I picked are set off from the rest.

Trail use is $6 per day. Believe me, it is so worth it. I have a season pass that is $25.

Looks like the crew for sure is

YoGreg
    Severum
    Putawaywet
    Sushi
    MerrimackDave
    SkiBud
    BrianC

Pufdup and a couple others may join us. Not sure yet.
    Super cool crew!
    Good vibes a plenty.
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    wow, we are on page #2 now.

Black Lion
    wow, we are on page #2 now.
    your slippin' duke, we are on page 3.
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    your slippin' duke, we are on page 3.
    I have my MTBR set up for 100 posts per page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Id like to go. I'm only about 30-40 mins from the trail myself but have never actualy made it to KT since ive only gotten back into biking a month ago after a 5 yr absence. I dont need a spot to camp since a shower and my bed will be nice but I do have a tent if anyone still needs one. I've got friday off too if anyone wants to do an afternoon ride.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalcon
    Id like to go. I'm only about 30-40 mins from the trail myself but have never actualy made it to KT since ive only gotten back into biking a month ago after a 5 yr absence. I dont need a spot to camp since a shower and my bed will be nice but I do have a tent if anyone still needs one. I've got friday off too if anyone wants to do an afternoon ride.
    Being so close you are certainly missing some amazing trails. We won't be up until later in the day. You are welcome to join us if you would like on Saturday or Sunday. We should be riding at about 11am on both days from the bike shop.

Black Lion
    Let the countdown begin.

Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Let the countdown begin.

I'm ready.

cranktankerous Mainer
    You guys suck. Please take lots of pictures.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

Back on the wagon
    I'm bringing my shitey camera. I won't be at the ride tonight - I injured my ass cheek yesterday on a road ride (stupid seams!) and need to be in 'painless seating mode' for this weekend.

I'm also making my pasta sauce tonight! Sweet as! You guys like hot sausage or sweet sausage? Man sausage is not an option.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    I'm bringing my shitey camera. I won't be at the ride tonight - I injured my ass cheek yesterday on a road ride (stupid seams!) and need to be in 'painless seating mode' for this weekend.

I'm also making my pasta sauce tonight! Sweet as! You guys like hot sausage or sweet sausage? Man sausage is not an option.

You said sausage.
    I would lean towards sweet.

Heading out to meet BrianC for a little rip. Last ride of the week for me. Did a long ride Monday, super technical ride on Tuesday, wonder what tonight will bring.

Greg
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Sweet is safe.

Born of Fire
    Have fun this weekend. I won't be able to go this time.

customized
    Sep 2003

I got the pasta and will bring grated cheese... etc.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Look how lucky we will be. We get to escape the 100 degree temperature with stupid humidity to ride in the mid 80s with a river on each side of the trail system. Any breeze is going to bring a nice coolness. That damn beach is going to be a welcome relief after the ride.

mtbr member
    Have fun. Ride safe.

Back on the wagon
    Yeah beach! Yeah coolness! Yeah sauce!!! The sauce was successfully completed last night. While not in my top five ever prepared, it's not too shabby if I do say so myself. I did run out of oregano in the meatballs, though. I did put a couple pieces of hot sausage in addition to the mostly sweet stuff in the sauce. The sauce dulls the heat, but the hot sausage does give it a nice flavor. Really, this sauce is a meal in itself. It has all the foodgroups (Fruit and veggies: tomatoes, peppers, onion, mushrooms; Meat: Beef meatballs and pork sausage; Dairy: Romano cheese in the meatballs; Breads: breadcrumbs in the meatballs; Fats: Olive oil and whatever didn't get drained from the sausage and meatballs; Garlic: yep.) Lots of garlic. Ever see Goodfellas? Pauly's got this way of slicing the garlic so thin, it just melts in the pan.... My hands are gonna smell like garlic for a week!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Yeah beach! Yeah coolness! Yeah sauce!!! The sauce was successfully completed last night. While not in my top five ever prepared, it's not too shabby if I do say so myself. I did run out of oregano in the meatballs, though. I did put a couple pieces of hot sausage in addition to the mostly sweet stuff in the sauce. The sauce dulls the heat, but the hot sausage does give it a nice flavor. Really, this sauce is a meal in itself. It has all the foodgroups (Fruit and veggies: tomatoes, peppers, onion, mushrooms; Meat: Beef meatballs and pork sausage; Dairy: Romano cheese in the meatballs; Breads: breadcrumbs in the meatballs; Fats: Olive oil and whatever didn't get drained from the sausage and meatballs; Garlic: yep.) Lots of garlic. Ever see Goodfellas? Pauly's got this way of slicing the garlic so thin, it just melts in the pan.... My hands are gonna smell like garlic for a week!
    Your a dork.

I can't wait to try it. It better be good after all this drama.

mtbr member

I Can't Wait!

Tomorrow is going to be the longest day ever, see you all bright and early Saturday.

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I should be there sat at 11. look for a red matrix with a white FS bike and hollar HEY ROB

customized
    Sep 2003
    I should be there sat at 11. look for a red matrix with a white FS bike and hollar HEY ROB
    Sweet, I will be on a silver rocky mountain and there will be a black Azonic there a well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the ride guys I had a blast. Hopefully the next time you are up to KT I'll be in a little better shape but I think I did alright for how long I've had a bike. I'm just a little stiff but fortuanately one of my roomates is 1 semester away from a degree in massage therapy and always wants someone to practice on.

Feb 2004
    I hope you a-holes had fun while I sat home and drank HARPOON. Next time I swear!

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    I hope you a-holes had fun while I sat home and drank HARPOON. Next time I swear!
    Way beyond fun my friend.

Feb 2004
    Ya all could feel my presence there right? If you could not stand the ride home cause yer arse hurt well then... that was me, you felt my presence.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Ya all could feel my presence there right? If you could not stand the ride home cause yer arse hurt well then... that was me, you felt my presence.
    That was you that made Saturdays ride one of the single toughest any of us ever had?

Feb 2004
    That was you that made Saturdays ride one of the single toughest any of us ever had?
    No no no, if someone thinks they had a tough time RIDING they need to re-think things.

customized
    Sep 2003
    No no no, if someone thinks they had a tough time RIDING they need to re-think things.
    No riding for you this weekend at all?

Feb 2004
    KTA is like any other place in the nation. It is the action of few that keep all of the others riding. Blunt but true.

customized
    Sep 2003
    KTA is like any other place in the nation. It is the action of few that keep all of the others riding. Blunt but true.
    I won't let your bluntness ruin the exceptional memories of this weekend. Email sent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How was the Sunday ride guys? I was forced to spend the day in the lake putting in a dock and then putting in and using th boat. not so taxing as the saturday especialy since running out of water wasnt really an issue.

Feb 2004
    Let's go back to your un-edited response about my bluntness. I hope to, next year plan my whole riding season around my FIRST visit to KTA. No I have not yet been. My goal...next year do the KTA trip. The goal of others on Sept 18....the repeat of the Minkhill Epic. Even Doctors cramp up on this one....

Back on the wagon
    Alright you too, don't make me come in and lay the smack down.

Sunday's ride was awesome! Completely and totally different than saturday's ride. Where as saturday's ride was, well, uphill - sunday was DOWN! Moose Alley was one of the best trails I've ridden on in my entire short life. So fast, so smooth, so...FRIKKIN AWESOME! You guys that left early also missed some circus acrobatics/entertainment via a tree surfing crash by yours truly on Dead Moose Abuse. Cuts, scrapes, and torn shorts...but thankfully no serious injury! Sunday's ride was amazingly worth it, even with a sore ass from saturday. The views from the meadows were incredible... I wish you guys had stayed!

Saturday...well, I'm still getting muscle spasms. The last third of that ride was quite possibly the most grueling thing I've done on a bike. Not that the trails were that hard...but man, you saw how wasted I was after the ride. I couldn't even sit up, had to go to bed. I can't wait to do it again!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Back on the wagon
    The goal of others on Sept 18....the repeat of the Minkhill Epic. Even Doctors cramp up on this one....
    Mink, I will do my utmost to make this one!

Hey Greg and Brian - how long did it take you guys to get home? I lost sight of you guys before we even got to Lincoln, and I was doing 80 mph...

I got home, showered, picked up my dog...and crashed hard. I slept like a rock on the bottom of the ocean last night!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member

I'm STILL Thirsty!

What a great ride with a great group of people.
    I felt really strong in the beginning as we climbed that half a mile or so of pavement but the heat soon took it's toll on these old bones. Last year I wilted on the Fort Rock scorcher, and this year it was this ride, from now on I'm bailing if it gets above ninety.
    Greg, thanks for those early words on encouragement as we railed down those rooty hills, from you it means a lot bro.
    Louis, thanks for pulling it altogether, it's a real bonus to this addle brained a.d.d. monster to have someone as organized as you setting things up, much appreciated.
    Jason, I'm still slack jawed by what you manage to climb on a single speed, very impressive. Thanks for recognizing the insanity in my thinking, that I could make the last 8 miles on my remaining 9 ice cubes. Thank god we came upon a house, with a hose. I still can't believe I drank 100 ounces in half a ride.
    Suresh, we're going to miss you and the Surly in these parts my friend, you'll have to drop us a line now and then and let us know what the riding is like in the new place.
    Brian C., Mike (briefly), Rob the new guy who did a nice job of anchoring the ride with me (side note, he is fortunate to live only 15 miles from Kingdom Trails ), it was a pleasure guys.

customized
    Sep 2003

To summarize!

This is what it is all about. Kangaroos and Deer! Nuff said.

May 2005
    Awesome weekend guys! I had a blast. Louis, excellent planning my friend. Thanks for setting this up.

Saturday's ride was epic. I think everybody gets a wrinkle in their sac for riding to the limits of their physical ability in 90+ weather. Sunday was single track nirvana. The 'moose' series of trails were downhill (moose abuse, dead moose alley, moose alley), flowed like water, and provided the occaisonal technical element. They were big show.

All who missed Jason's tree surfing on Sunday's ride missed potentially the most acrobatic crash of the season. We're talking through the pine trees well above the ground, bike cartwheeling, front flip to paratrooper roll. It sounded like a chimpanzee crashing through the jungle.

KT pride.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi

All who missed Jason's tree surfing on Sunday's ride missed potentially the most acrobatic crash of the season. We're talking through the pine trees well above the ground, bike cartwheeling, front flip to paratrooper roll. It sounded like a chimpanzee crashing through the jungle.

KT pride.
    Gets my vote for sure.
    I thought it was a Jackelope crashing throught the trees.
    Voltron

Back on the wagon

Glad I could provide the entertainment!

But I'm even more glad nothing was seriously damaged (except for the shorts). Louis, thanks again for the planning - this awesome trip wouldn't have happened without ya. Next time, stick around for Sunday, though, huh? Dave, no worries on the water. I think we all would have had some serious issues had we not found that house. I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday who was at a race in RI - they were carrying guys out of the woods on stretchers from the heat. But hey - it wasn't raining! I look forward to doing it again.

Oh, and guys - check your PMs in a couple minutes.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    But I'm even more glad nothing was seriously damaged (except for the shorts). Louis, thanks again for the planning - this awesome trip wouldn't have happened without ya. Next time, stick around for Sunday, though, huh? Dave, no worries on the water. I think we all would have had some serious issues had we not found that house. I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday who was at a race in RI - they were carrying guys out of the woods on stretchers from the heat. But hey - it wasn't raining! I look forward to doing it again.

Oh, and guys - check your PMs in a couple minutes.
    I am still feeling that ride on Saturday. I do regret missing that ride. I will be up there soon to do it myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am still feeling that ride on Saturday. I do regret missing that ride. I will be up there soon to do it myself.
    Let me know if your going to come up and I'll join ya. Your also welcome to my sofa bed if you need a place to crash.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Let me know if your going to come up and I'll join ya. Your also welcome to my sofa bed if you need a place to crash.
    I sent you a PM.