mtbr member
    Jun 2005

KIllington questions?

Hi, My 16 yr old son and I are going to Killington July 4th for a few days of lift access riding. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you fine folks can answer:

1. I imagine we'll be sticking to green and blue trails. FRom videos I've watched they don't look too difficult or techy, just fast and flowy. Are full face helmets really needed? we don't own any and I really don't want to buy them for what will probably be a once per year type of trip.

2. we both have 140mm travel bikes. Is that enough for the green and blue trails?

3. We'll be arriving July 4th late afternoon. Are there any July 4th festivities nearby?

4 Are there lockers at or near bottom lift area?

5 Is Rutland the closest real grocery store?

6 Any "must eat at" restaurants in the area?

7 Recommendations for fun things to do other than mountain biking?

8 Anywhere to see live music at night?

thanks!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    Hi, My 16 yr old son and I are going to Killington July 4th for a few days of lift access riding. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you fine folks can answer:

1. I imagine we'll be sticking to green and blue trails. FRom videos I've watched they don't look too difficult or techy, just fast and flowy. Are full face helmets really needed? we don't own any and I really don't want to buy them for what will probably be a once per year type of trip.

Those trails, while not difficult can result in high speed, and a crash at that speed... You can likely just rent a FF helmet there.

2. we both have 140mm travel bikes. Is that enough for the green and blue trails?

Yes.

3. We'll be arriving July 4th late afternoon. Are there any July 4th festivities nearby?

???

4 Are there lockers at or near bottom lift area?

I think so.

5 Is Rutland the closest real grocery store?

I do know there are convenience stores closer. Full markets?

???

7 Recommendations for fun things to do other than mountain biking?

???

8 Anywhere to see live music at night?

???

thanks!

Probably not much help, but at least the thread will get a bump.

And, Killington is a fun DH place for kids as they have plenty of "easy" stuff. Had my boy there at age 10 and he loved it. At 16 you kid will likely be tearing it up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    140mm travel is probably fine if you stick to greens and blues, but you'll have more fun if you rent a true DH bike. You should rent a full face helmet and pads. Not sure about lockers.

There's a grocery store right on the access road, killington market. Plenty of restaurant options, most good. Foundry and sushi yoshi are great options. There are definitely 4th of july festivities on the mountain. Not sure on live music at night during summer.

mtbr member
    I've skied "K" for years but never biked there...the access road is loaded with restaurants, pubs, markets, shops, etc. I'm sure some are seasonal but many must stay open for golf and bike crowds. There's so many condo's & timeshares there and folks use them year round. Bike with 140mm travel is fine if you're not doing anything crazy. I would be surprised if full face is 'required'. I've done lift accessed riding a few times at Mt Snow (VT), Gore Mountain (NY) and Waterville Valley (NH). Always used my XC / All mountain type setups and never had to use a full face. Just take it easy and let your brakes cool every now and then. Check out the Killington website if you have not already...they should have links and info there.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Not required but definitely recommended and available for rent

@njcshreds
    I'll only give answers to the questions I know. I typically only drive over for a day and don't stay the weekend or really hang out in the area after.

1) You can rent full face lids at the shop. Is it required? Certainly not - do I prefer to wear one? Absolutely. There is certainly some tech around the park. I'd think if you don't do this type of riding often you'd want the full face.

2) Sure. I've ridden it on a hardtail. I still prefer my big bike, though.

4) Yes, there are lockers in the lodge. The parking lot is pretty close, though so I usually just leave my stuff in the car and ride over for lunch.

6) I've gone to the Lookout Tavern after skiing and biking there. I wouldn't drive over just for that - but it's a chill spot.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I agree with what everyone else has said, but I'll add my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    Definitely not needed, but you should consider renting one. They also rent other protective gear that is nice to have.

Yes. I've ridden my 140mm trail bike there, and even though it was still a lot of fun, I was definitely more fatigued by the end of the day than when I ride my DH bike. Not sure how many days you're planning to ride, but I would recommend renting a big bike for at least one day just to try it out.

LMGTFY

Worthy Kitchen in Woodstock is worth the trip Really good food and beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for all the good info everyone! We're planning on riding the lifts 2 days with a day of local xc in the middle. I am borrowing a fullface helmet for my son from a friend and I'll rent one if I feel I need to. I picked up 2 pairs of 661 knee pads on ebay for $40. Been meaning to buy some anyways. The rest we'll play by ear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies View Post
    I agree with what everyone else has said, but I'll add my $0.02.

Definitely not needed, but you should consider renting one. They also rent other protective gear that is nice to have.

Yes. I've ridden my 140mm trail bike there, and even though it was still a lot of fun, I was definitely more fatigued by the end of the day than when I ride my DH bike. Not sure how many days you're planning to ride, but I would recommend renting a big bike for at least one day just to try it out.

LMGTFY

Worthy Kitchen in Woodstock is worth the trip Really good food and beer.
    If youíre just into burgers (and like fare) Worthy Burger in South Royalton is another great option.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Killington is a blast to ride in the summer. As others stated a full face is nice but not a necessity. Most of the crew I ride with are on "trail/ enduro" bikes and we ride everything on the mountain with no issues. For food Sushi Yoshi is good and there is also a smokehouse/ barbecue joint not far from the mountain on the main road. It was a fun place to shoot pool, play shuffle board and drink beers post riding. Im heading up for the US Open in August- CAN NOT WAIT!

Keep on Rockin...
    Anyone know when the full mountain is open for DH? Right now only Snowshed lift is running for the bunny runs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I remember seeing something about June 16th being the full opening date

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had a season pass at Killington for two years. There are trails for every experience level and no you donít need a full face helmet but it is recommended. Keep in mind that even on the green and blue trails you will be traveling at higher speeds than typical trail riding so itís a nice thing to wear to prevent the inevitable tumble.

I rode my 140mm trail bike there and itís absolutey fine.

There are lockers but as stated the parking lot is so close to the lift we usually just leave everything in the car.

Plenty of small grocery shops around without going to Rutland.

There are plenty of other things to do right at Killington including zip lines, wall climbing, four wheel drive rentals, off-road Segway rentals, one of those jet ski water jet lifts. Great place to explore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Anyone know when the full mountain is open for DH? Right now only Snowshed lift is running for the bunny runs.
    Ramshead opens this weekend and then the full mountain will be open the following Friday in time for Bike and Brew.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Bumping this up Ė I'll be in Killington next week and want to pedal a little bit aside from riding the park. Any consensus on Green Mountain trails vs Pine Hill for a ~3 hour ride? I know they did half of the Enduro last summer on Green, so I'm leaning towards that...

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by whumber View Post
    Ramshead opens this weekend and then the full mountain will be open the following Friday in time for Bike and Brew.
    Cool. Going tomorrow AM for the weekend.

mtbr member
    It's a matter of taste, but GMT has some long, super-fun downhills with an old school flavor and some techy options, amazing views at the top, and a pretty burn-free uphill. Three hour rides are the standard. You can't go wrong with either system, though.

Team
    Saw a guy get knocked out cold on Saturday at Killington wearing a half-shell XC helmet. Go with a full-face for sure.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Burn free uphill sounds lame. Gotta work for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Burn is relative to whom is doing the uphill, no? 'Sides, just about every trail built in the last 5-7 years involves a whole lot less burn than the uphill trails we all rode 20-30 years ago...and I don't miss the suffering all that much!

GMT are an extremely pleasant place to ride especially with a mixed group if you are looking to mix in some pedal with your DH. Ascutney/ stab isn't too far from Killington (maybe an hour), it's worth visiting.

I've been meaning to sneak in a weekday at Killington in the next few weeks...we're hitting prime time.

mtbr member
    No problem there. Just ride Fuster's or Rabbit Hole uphill, or Luvin It faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    GMT is an absolute blast, certainly check that our for a couple hours of pedaling. Ascutney is also great but you'll climb more and find more challenging trails.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Sounds awesome, I gotta get up there and try it...skied it for 30 years but never biked it.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It was pretty cool to see all the people at the Bike and Brew in the beer tasting area all having some sort of ride rash where their bodies took spills or bleeding legs from flat pedal whips into the shins. Everyone seemed to be having fun and the food they were grilling was quite tasty!

It was a fun time but yea can bring with it a new type of danger! Also your hands and arms will get more of a workout than your legs will on a DH day.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    GMT is an absolute blast, certainly check that our for a couple hours of pedaling. Ascutney is also great but you'll climb more and find more challenging trails.
    So whatís the ďbutĒ all about?