Groton State Forest VT- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604

    Groton State Forest VT

    Overnight from Plainfield to Osmore Pond in Groton State Forest.
    Class 4 roads, single track, rail trail, VAST and some pavement.
    Cold, some rain, some snow. We were under cover with a huge fire that burned through the night.


    IMG_3826 by mbeganyi, on Flickr


    IMG_3809 by mbeganyi, on Flickr


    IMG_3837 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,507
    A hidden gem for central Vt! Cool ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    A hidden gem for central Vt! Cool ride.
    Indeed. I have a friend that lives in Plainfield, so that took care of parking and setup, then we rode over some cool dirt and class 4 roads. Slept in a picnic shelter as some rain / snow came down overnight. Good fun.

    IMG_3813 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    753
    You gotta let me know next time you do one of these little trips, I'd love to join you.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    You gotta let me know next time you do one of these little trips, I'd love to join you.
    DOH!

    pm me your email - I think I have it, but want to make sure.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,507
    Some great climbing there too. Was that Marshfield Mtn in your pic? Fishing too. Multi sport bc tour, be rad.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Some great climbing there too. Was that Marshfield Mtn in your pic? Fishing too. Multi sport bc tour, be rad.
    This is looking southeastish over Marshfield Pond:

    IMG_3813 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    Not sure what the mountain names are. We had a couple of routes sketched out, sort of randomly settled on Jerusalem 'road' to RR East, then took a look at Kettle Pond, then RR East again to a cutoff trail down to the north end of Groton Pond. Took awhile but we found Telephone Line trail and that was leaf covered single track north to Osmore.

    So much back in there to check out.
    Yes, our local said that the fishing at Marshfield Pond is crazy, and Kettle has trout (and lots of loons!)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    260
    Cool to see that you made it up here. We live about 15 miles away in Barre, and we were doing all of of summer riding at Millstone. Come fall, I wanted to check out a place that was flatter for snow biking, so we have been going to Gronton every weekend since the end of September to get to know the roots. Its nice you can park pretty much at any lot and hop onto the snowmobile trails or a dirt road.

    Mind filling me in on where I could find the single track though? I've covered about 20 miles of trail there and haven't been able to find any yet.


    Thanks
    -Mike C

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,507
    Doesn't millstone groom for fat biking?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    260
    The trail association sent out a survey for people to vote if they wanted it groomed for fatbikeing/snowshoes/cc skiing/, and we have not heard back yet. My girlfriend is new to biking and she is not a fan of when the hills over at Millstone start to get slippery. So far she has like to mild inclines of Gronton on the bike trail that they have up there. She doesn't mind if I head into the woods for a trail or two either when we are there I just haven't seen many.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post
    Cool to see that you made it up here. We live about 15 miles away in Barre, and we were doing all of of summer riding at Millstone. Come fall, I wanted to check out a place that was flatter for snow biking, so we have been going to Gronton every weekend since the end of September to get to know the roots. Its nice you can park pretty much at any lot and hop onto the snowmobile trails or a dirt road.

    Mind filling me in on where I could find the single track though? I've covered about 20 miles of trail there and haven't been able to find any yet.


    Thanks
    -Mike C
    I called it single track (certainly rode and looked like it this fall) but a local told me it's more forest track. Telephone Line Trail from Osmore to north end of Groton Pond. Access from the south is through a campground. Big Deer I think.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    "grooming" for fatbiking just doesn't sound right.

    snowshoes work fairly well in a pinch. takes some time/effort, but the byproduct (exercise and grooming) is so worthwhile.

    rog

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    I called it single track (certainly rode and looked like it this fall) but a local told me it's more forest track. Telephone Line Trail from Osmore to north end of Groton Pond. Access from the south is through a campground. Big Deer I think.
    A 10 ? year old guidebook " Mtn. Bike Vermont" describes singletrack as part of a larger tour--most of the singletrack was at the North side of the park, Plainfield and or Marshfield, part of the tour included railroad grade I think.

Similar Threads

  1. Big Ride - Pittstown State Forest & Grafton Lakes State Park 7/12
    By cbcbike in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:24 AM
  2. 5/8 Wachusett NEMBA ride Groton town forest.
    By DAVID J in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 03:58 PM
  3. Bigelow Hollow State Park / Nipmuck State Forest.
    By Tony777 in forum Connecticut, Rhode Island
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM
  4. Black Rock State Forest / Mattatuck State Forest‏ (Plan B)
    By Tony777 in forum Connecticut, Rhode Island
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM
  5. Carey state forest or Jennings state forest - FL
    By SouthernOak in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.