mtbr member

Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018

Central NH area of Concord, Bow, Hopkinton are probably a couple weeks out for most trails, but what are other areas like? Anyone been to Yudicky or other southern locations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Central NH area of Concord, Bow, Hopkinton are probably a couple weeks out for most trails, but what are other areas like? Anyone been to Yudicky or other southern locations?
    Snow is melting fast here, looks like a similar timeline for the trails in central/northern VT. I hope to be riding open trails by the end of April.

I'm heading down to my parent's this weekend who live near Yudicky so I can report back.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Southern Maine is rideable in areas. Headed to the Cape for the next two days so looking forward to that. Skiing is and has been the call lately so will be focusing on that.

Sunday was untracked pow pow for many laps.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1147
Size:  44.4 KB
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1128
Size:  26.7 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-image.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Some muddy trail poking through the snow here. Maybe a month out here in Northfield. Clay drains slowly and the trails are built on the town aquifer.

mtbr member
    Winant and Swope areas in Concord are 99% dry and ready to go. I rode them Friday and Sunday. I have not checked out Bow trails yet, but considering we are built on swamp land I am assuming a couple more weeks. The stuff that had snowmobile traffic cutting over to Concord has a thick ribbon of snow/ice.

Those ski condition look tempting, but I think my ski season is officially over.

mtbr member
    Looking like at least a month here in and around Green Mtn Trails.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Cape riding this weekend was dirt like summer. Got over 30 miles in yesterday connecting a bunch of stuff between Yarmouth and Sandwich.
    Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    I did 12 miles at The Musquash in Londonderry Sunday morning and it was fine. 99% dry, no mud, and a couple of spots with some snow still. There were some trees down but not many. I was able to move two off the trail but I ran into at least two more that will need a chainsaw.

mtbr member
    Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-sir9spring.jpg

This is what Concord looks like for every trail I have personally ridden on. Bow and Hopkinton still have ribbons of snow and ice. The rain starting today should help get rid of more of that crusty stuff.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Love seeing all that leaf litter down and in place to become new tread material👍. Just say no to leaf blow.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Aggy update. Just got back from a lovely ride in the pouring rain and some sleet/snow up on the mountain. Rode from the house. Encountered pretty much everything. Even a bunch of snow that was rideable skinny studless. Mud, wet roots and rocks, good dirt, great ride with some nice elevation. Aggy is tough when dry. When wet? It gets real

Some sideways pics sorry.

On my way to the mountain from the house. Lots of snow.

Great mile long techy trail climb

Earn the view. Can't really see it but light snow falling

banned
    Nov 2017
    A much more hospitable Aggy was had this afternoon. Not raining/snowing like on Tuesday. Felt like winter temps and winds. Still winter gear and booties over the shoes. I figure it'll take another 2 weeks at least to get rid of all the snow/ice. No issues skinny studless anywhere I rode tho. Mostly dirt. The riding is awesome.

mtbr member
    Fort Rock is mostly dry. And clear on most of the large trail debris.

(Although it IS snowing right now!)

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Fort Rock is mostly dry. And clear on most of the large trail debris.

(Although it IS snowing right now!)
    accelerator or whatever it's called and the shop trail must be wet as hell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yudicky is 95% dry. Touches of ice.

Live Free & Ride
    Mt Aggie in York was dry going up the paved road on the gravel bike on Sunday. Rode in from Dover and the dirt road coming up the mtn was mostly dry with just a few wet spots. Trails looked mostly dry with some patches of mud. The area should be good to go now and warmer temps this week will make it mo bettah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-ti-4.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

banned
    Nov 2017
    Nice!^^^^^

Aggy trails have been good since snow. No let up in the action from snow to dirt which is nice. No rules, no trail closures or delays. The way life should be. Did two hours this afternoon and all trails encountered were good. Will be riding regularly on Tuesday afternoons at 5-530 from the house which is 6 miles via road or trail to the mountain. good warm up/cool down. If anyone wants to join.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Snows going slowly here in VT but it's going. Got the flagging out, flagging the first new trail of the season today. Nothing get's the stoke train rolling like scouting new trail.
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah that snow in the woods is stubborn but slowly disappearing. I may stroll around Millstone and do some trail clean up Saturday if the rain holds. Riding season is coming slowly but surely.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Snows going slowly here in VT but it's going. Got the flagging out, flagging the first new trail of the season today. Nothing get's the stoke train rolling like scouting new trail.
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    Post pics please 👍

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Any reports on Franklin Falls... guessing it should be dry and ready to go

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    Any reports on Franklin Falls... guessing it should be dry and ready to go
    Was up at Proctor Academy this afternoon. That whole area west of 93 seemed pretty wet with snow/ice still on the northern rail trail in many areas.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Classic "early spring" ride from the house up and around Aggy land this afternoon. Had to pull out all of the winter riding gear that I had put away already. 29 degrees with a nice even coat of sneet covering everything. Made the tech a bit more techy. Ninja moves to stay upright in the chunkiest spots. Love that. Removed one large tree from one trail so feel good about helping out. The Spesh ground control 29 x 2.3 at 20 psi continue to blow the mind. Way underrated tire. Don't miss my minion DHF's one bit and I loved those tires.

2-3 inches of rain coming tomorrow means Aggy will be the place to be all this week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Fahq this weather. New bike being built. Ready to lay on a rock in the sun. Might have to drive to Jersey for the weekend and brave the ticks.

beer thief
    Rode in Ohio (Vultures Knob) on Saturday and Kansas City (Landahl Park) yesterday and both were dry and fun. KC has some amazing rocky tech. Hate to tell you guys but more cold weather is headed east. Frost on the van this morning but the desert is getting closer. Cheers

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Rode in Ohio (Vultures Knob) on Saturday and Kansas City (Landahl Park) yesterday and both were dry and fun. KC has some amazing rocky tech. Hate to tell you guys but more cold weather is headed east. Frost on the van this morning but the desert is getting closer. Cheers
    Did you ride in PA or WV on your way to Ohio? Sounds like a fun trip! Bring on the cold wet weather, the winter gear is hanging and ready. Stoked to finally get some real spring skiing in this coming weekend. And the next and the next.......IT'S ALL GOOD.

mtbr member
    I'm pining for brown pow here in the north. I'm glad to see that there are options to the south.
    Does anyone have any intel on conditions at Bear Brook? It's closer to me than most of the other places mentioned, but I don't want to take a chance if it's still wet.
    -Chris

banned
    Nov 2017
    Bear Brook was largely good last weekend except for sections of Hemlock 1 and some other areas that tend to take longer to dry.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Another thing regarding Bear Brook. Someone has been nice enough to "fix" many of the rutted muddy sections along Hemlock 1. Then he put sticks in the trail where the rutted muddy sections are to try to get riders to dismount and walk around the muddy sections which is 10 times more retahdid than just riding thru the muddy sections in the middle of the trail. Walking around will just promote trail widening and braiding.

In the end, best to avoid Hemlock 1.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the intel. I'll steer clear of Hemlock 1 if I go there this weekend.
    -Chris

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Thanks for the intel. I'll steer clear of Hemlock 1 if I go there this weekend.
    My pleasure. Enjoy, please report back.🙂

banned
    Nov 2017
    Aggy area this afternoon. Maine Moab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    High water today. The ground has finally thawed. 70s next week, I imagine some trails will be ready for careful navigation next weekend in Vt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Tentatively looking at trails for this weekend in central VT. A couple guys at the local bike shop said Boston Lot trails over in NH were ready to go. I was also thinking Green Mountain Trails may be ready as well as they kinda in the same area.

Any first hand reports? Not getting my hopes up as I've got no problem putting in just one more week of gravel grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney Trails will likely be partially open for Green Up Day, May 5th. Swoops and Loops, at the Mt. Ascutney State Park opens Friday, May 25th. Other private STAB trails around the local towns are probably a week off - I'll have better reports back after our Spring Clean Up Trail Day this Saturday (April 28th, 8:30 to noon. Meeting at The Climb fitness center, 223 Hotel Rd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Pine hill is open. We're probably a week out for some cautious poking around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    A couple guys at the local bike shop said Boston Lot trails over in NH were ready to go.
    UVMBA posted this picture of Westline on their Facebook page yesterday:

Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-westline.jpg

mtbr member
    This was Sugarloaf, Maine Tues 4/24...one of the best spring ski days I've had there. Up that way riding is a ways out!

Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-img_0348.jpg
    Early Spring Riding Conditions 2018-img_0359.jpg
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow looks covered. We just got upwards of a foot of snow up in the mountains. Trails down low are drying out but riding up higher ain't gonna happen for a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies View Post
    UVMBA posted this picture of Westline on their Facebook page yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westline.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	1195830
    Damn. I guess they were wrong. Glad I didn't make the trip down there last weekend

banned
    Nov 2017
    Sugarloaf nice. Nothing beats the loaf in Spring, not even George, nice score👍. Place doesn't even soften unless it's like 70 degrees in Portland truth be told. I've skied the Easties on George in perfect corn on the same day that a friend skied the loaf and only the lower 3rd of the loaf softened up. Snow preservation baby!!!

Man must be tough for you guys having to wait to ride up north. One of the things I do not miss about living north in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Man must be tough for you guys having to wait to ride up north. One of the things I do not miss about living north in the mountains.
    The trails around here are worth the wait. Lots of people puts lots of effort into the trails I want to respect the dry out time. Also, the last weekend of skiing at Sugarbush will coincide perfectly with the first weekend of mountain biking this year.

But I won't lie, I'm dying to get on some singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've been out this week cleaning up a bit. We still have a good amount of water coming off the hill in Northfield Vt. Still discovering that people are coming to ride here when all other areas remain closed. If your local riding area is closed, please don't consider our local spot to be OK because we don't have an official club or trail hub updates. Sounds like a no brainer, but just thought I'd put it out there again. Our trails are built on the town aquifer. It's NOT a good wet weather spot. Don't be a dick.

This next week looks good for drying out. Probably have some riding on tap by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Green Mountain Trails are a week away, especially if people come out to help clear a dozen blowdowns on May 12th at 9am (hint, hint).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We had a bunch of trees come down Friday night. We cut them out yesterday and the Shaw Center trails are very close to 100 percent. I'd say by tomorrow the front side will be good for cautious riding with a couple spots still needing to be walked. Orange Trail is 100 % dry, some of the lower trails are slower to drain.

The Climb on the PMT is likely wet, but most of the single track is likely dry. The exception is probably the Slate Ave trail that people sometimes call Postal. I'd give that one until the weekend. There are probably multiple trees down back there as well. We are working here in Northfield this Saturday at 9 from the lot.

So, it seems to be game on with a caution flag. Glorious out yesterday, and for the next couple. It's that time of year to remember the MTBing up hill is hard, and I got fat and soft over the winter.

Edit: I would also like to point out again how amazingly accurate the correlation is between the river gauges and trail conditions. As the USGS gauge just dips out of the "Blue" and into the "Green" for the Dog River, our trail system just becomes dry enough to ride. I really think the MTB community is ignoring the prime indicator for trail conditions and this on line data could easily be utilized to provide real, automatically updated conditions, and could solve the issue of arbitrary closure dates as in state lands, and provide more accurate assessments when the water table is low and we get a good dose of rain that results in knee-jerk trail closings that contradict actual surface water conditions...or help protect our trails after prolonged periods of wet weather where trails should be closed after small rain events, but remain open.

For us in Northfield, if you're wondering about trail conditions, look at the dog river gauge on the USGS site.
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/vt/nwis/rt
    If it's light blue, or black...we're closed. If it's green, yellow, or red, we're dry enough to ride. Someone with the computer know-how could design a trail conditions product pretty easily that would be way better than manual updates that require actual trail inspections to be accurate. $.02
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-08-2018 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the update, DaveVT. Wish I could join the trail work on Saturday but I'm on yard work duty. I hope to get down there early next week to check out the trails.

Kingdom trails opened on Saturday and the trails were certainly soft. Not a lot of mud but the ground still has plenty of moisture. I had to avoid the trails down near the river but the trails up on Darling Hill rode pretty damn good for early May.

Lots of trails are opening up but there is still drying to be done. I teach high school and overheard a couple kids talking about their very muddy mountain bike ride at Millstone (which is still closed) and I advised them to stick to open trails only and why. Can't get mad at couple of bone head 15 year olds who wanna ride but it can't hurt to educate them about trail etiquette.

Weather is gorgeous, plenty of sun and warmth will get trails up to speed nicely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I hear that Craftsbury opens on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Thanks for the update, DaveVT. Wish I could join the trail work on Saturday but I'm on yard work duty. I hope to get down there early next week to check out the trails.

Kingdom trails opened on Saturday and the trails were certainly soft. Not a lot of mud but the ground still has plenty of moisture. I had to avoid the trails down near the river but the trails up on Darling Hill rode pretty damn good for early May.

Lots of trails are opening up but there is still drying to be done. I teach high school and overheard a couple kids talking about their very muddy mountain bike ride at Millstone (which is still closed) and I advised them to stick to open trails only and why. Can't get mad at couple of bone head 15 year olds who wanna ride but it can't hurt to educate them about trail etiquette.

Weather is gorgeous, plenty of sun and warmth will get trails up to speed nicely.
    The Single Tracks down here are in amazing condition. Like mid summer. The Double tracks are not. Most of the PMT network is good but a few spots are still streams or very soft. Some ********s have been riding through. One guy on a fat bike mud bogged hundreds of feet of rim-deep mud and his track was a nice little freshet running down the trail. You can't police every rider, but jeezum I thought we were past that type of trail use.

If you come ride here, please tread very lightly and walk anything soft on the way up the Paine Mtn Trails.

Also the lack of raking on the ridge and pond trails last year really worked out well. Perfectly mulched leaf litter is so fun to ride! MTBing is fun. Happy Spring!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oh how quickly things change up here. I logged 18 miles at Adam's Camp trails in Stowe Saturday. Trails are dry and dusty; tomorrow's showers are much needed. I'm still grinning from that ride.

Perry Hill laps this afternoon. I hope everyone is out getting it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Boston Lot is prime right now

mtbr member
    KT is totally open right now, with the exception of a couple of the wetter trails on Burke Mountain. Some trails on Darling Hill are getting dusty. We are looking forward to showers.
    -Chris