Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Climbers up!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389

    Climbers up!

    I'm curious to see elevation profiles of the bigger, more sustained trail, or mostly trail climbs in VT, NH, Me, and NY. I'm not a gps guy so if you have 'em, post 'em up. Who's got the longest most sustained trail climbs around? Love to see Carse, HTF, Richmond, Waitsfield, Adams Camp, Maple Run, Stab, Pittsfield, North Conway, Lake Placid Area. Here's my local thanks to JBP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climbers up!-northfield-elevation-profile.png  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Lots of ups on this, but it isn't a typical single track day. First part of a 26+ mile day from near Green Mountain Trails over the spine of the greens on VAST and other assorted paths and into Silver Lake via Leicester Hollow...

    Climbers up!-screen-shot-2016-06-05-3.39.09-pm.jpg

    That second peak there is somewhere before we got to here:

    steep, all over by Mike, on Flickr

    When we dropped down to (still high!) above Chittenden Reservoir.

    QBP glamour shot by Mike, on Flickr

    Overall day was 26+ miles, 6400' up with 5900' down.

    Was a great trip. But maybe not what you were looking for....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Here's to the top of Flo @ Saxon:

    Climbers up!-screen-shot-2016-06-05-3.49.11-pm.jpg

    Pretty fun on the SS, especially when I'm in shape to do a couple of laps (not now, for sure).

  4. #4
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,841
    Red Tail Trail plan & profile. It is about 1600' of climbing to the summit of Black Cap (top track not shown).Climbers up!-nh-red-tail-plan-profile.jpg

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Looks fun, but more interested in the more MTB specific, popular loops that folks ride. I do love a good adventure though.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zaab70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    184
    Entry level loop at GMT...Climbers up!-screenshot-2016-06-05-9.17.05-pm.png

  7. #7
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,789
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4185884?filter=overall

    High School to Kimmer's 900 feet.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Be curious to see from the low spot at Gershmans behind the H.S. to the cabin up through trapps. I think one of the longest. Also Tony's to Peek a View for the Stowe area.
    Zaab...what's the single longest climb in that network? Haven't ridden there yet but it's a steep and deep little valley.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 06-06-2016 at 05:11 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    18
    This is more of a descender than a climber run overall...but not by much. This is the ride from Ranch Brook Rd, up Kimmers to the Cabin, down Trapps and pipeline, through the woods that connect to Cady Hill Forest (down flo, up snake, down bear). Fun one way ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climbers up!-rsz_d11d83df-fed6-46c1-b8ba-0cd732a67896.jpg  


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    18
    Climbers up!-capture.jpg

    Here is HTF, by request... this ride starts at Economou Rd, up Dragon Tail, Down Firebreather, down Sheep Thrills, up Homestead, and down Enchanted Forest/Wolf Tree. Firebreather was the run of the day... what a trail.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    62
    Here is Cochrans in Richmond. 1150 on continuous single track climb to top of Jimmy Cliff.
    https://ficdn.mtbr.com/images/attach/pdf.gif
    Attached Files Attached Files

  12. #12
    trail magician
    Reputation: GreenMtnRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    177
    I think the longest, sustained, single-track descent in VT goes to either Cochran's or Northfield (from the lean-to). No roads whatsoever. Waterbury might be close behind, but those descents are climby and I don't think it's as much very as it seems like.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    I thought for sure the climb from the Bridge to the Cabin at Trapps was bigger. Thanks for that one. I like that ride starting at Iride heading to Hardy Haul on the way out, climbing Kimmers and hitting the cabin on the way back. Maybe the best legal ride in Stowe right now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnRider View Post
    I think the longest, sustained, single-track descent in VT goes to either Cochran's or Northfield (from the lean-to). No roads whatsoever. Waterbury might be close behind, but those descents are climby and I don't think it's as much very as it seems like.
    It's funny, people seem to think there's a lot of climbing on the trail from the Shelter (Hawk Watch) to the top of Orange here. It's only about 200 vert up vs 400 down....then orange is 900 down without a pedal stroke. I need to ride Richmond again. Anyone have the Carse side of HTF?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zaab70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    184
    It's just about an even 1k starting from Tweed River to the stone cabin. It's spread out over 4 miles, though.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Wow Cochran's is steep. 1300+ in 2 miles. Anyone SS it? Wolff?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26
    Conway climbing tracks:

    Red Trail to Black Cap summit, 1,600' from water tower. Average ~11%.

    Climbers up!-conway_redtrailtoblackcap.jpg

    Kettle Ridge, 1,010' from water tower. Average ~11% also.

    Climbers up!-conway-kettleridge.jpg

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26
    Hard to top riding up Lower & Upper J-Bar at Burke if you're looking for bragging rights in the northeast. 2,000' of gain, 15% average.

    Of course, there's a nice Camptown > Toll Road climber's route sitting right there to the left, probably why it's not on most people's list. But it could be...

    Climbers up!-burke-j-bar.jpg

  19. #19
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,789
    I think riding up J bar is potentially dangerous......

    climber have right of way yes, but on trails like J bar if you are going even moderately fast no way you could slow down from 15+ mph to avoid someone. There are trails where 2 way traffic can happily exist and IMO J-bar upper or lower is not one of them.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I think riding up J bar is potentially dangerous......

    climber have right of way yes, but on trails like J bar if you are going even moderately fast no way you could slow down from 15+ mph to avoid someone. There are trails where 2 way traffic can happily exist and IMO J-bar upper or lower is not one of them.
    Well, duh. Of course it's dangerous riding up a downhill trail. You think bragging rights come easy?

    Luckily everyone will be over at Darling Hill and you'll have the whole trail to yourself.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Wow the Red Tail Black Cap climb looks cool. Need to ride over there this summer. Not so interested in climbing Burke on J Bar but yup, I bet it hurts.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    344
    This is a Hayden Hill Easy HTF ride through Carse and back. The highlighted part would be Carse's Front Door/Repent/UnderGround Railroad up, down Henry's, then up Back Door to HTF. It doesn't look as bad as it feels.
    Climbers up!-carsehtf.jpg

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Not so interested in climbing Burke on J Bar but yup, I bet it hurts.
    Yeah, those rock drops & switchbacks up top wouldn't really be "riding" for normal humans. Has to be 25% average for most of Upper J-Bar, with sections a lot worse.

    Burnham > Shire > Camptown to the top of Dead Moose is a much more normal climber's single track route on Burke. 1,150' of steady not-too-steep climbing.

    Add the last section of the Toll Road to the summit so you can descend J-Bar properly and you've got 2,300' of climbing. Not many places you can get much more than that in New England.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdlman View Post
    Yeah, those rock drops & switchbacks up top wouldn't really be "riding" for normal humans. Has to be 25% average for most of Upper J-Bar, with sections a lot worse.

    Burnham > Shire > Camptown to the top of Dead Moose is a much more normal climber's single track route on Burke. 1,150' of steady not-too-steep climbing.

    Add the last section of the Toll Road to the summit so you can descend J-Bar properly and you've got 2,300' of climbing. Not many places you can get much more than that in New England.
    Seems true. I don't mind scenic road climbs on my MTB. Last time I rode that stuff, Upper J bar was just finished. Fun. The lower stuff was hammered. Much work gone in on Dead Moose, ect. on the Mtn side in the last 5 years?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    This is a Hayden Hill Easy HTF ride through Carse and back. The highlighted part would be Carse's Front Door/Repent/UnderGround Railroad up, down Henry's, then up Back Door to HTF. It doesn't look as bad as it feels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarseHTF.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	1074835
    Front Door is a mother. I like that ride to Dragons/firebreather/back up onto the dragons tail and out backdoor/henrys/preacher ect. Great swimming holes in the huntington after. Good livn.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Seems true. I don't mind scenic road climbs on my MTB. Last time I rode that stuff, Upper J bar was just finished. Fun. The lower stuff was hammered. Much work gone in on Dead Moose, ect. on the Mtn side in the last 5 years?
    Lower J got rerouted and fixed up nicely a few years ago, if you're thinking of the original beat up fall-line Lower J route from the old days.

    The Q fiasco forced Kingdom Trails away from the upper mountain for the last years. Seems like Dead Moose and Lower J are doing OK, but only OK, there's a lot of water moving around on that section of the mountain. Moose Alley has been improved by KT in the past years, since it was out of the Q wreckage zone.

    Without KT resources there don't seem like there has been anyone available to give the high mountain the attention those trails deserve. There has been a dedicated local crew trying to keep the bike park going even through the neglect & abuse, but they've been totally starved for resources during the ponzi years.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    23
    Think I have, but would be reluctant for fear of chain snap & subsequent knee death by stem. The toughest climb I can remember doing is not jimmy cliff, rather the back side of cochran's up from dugway (the answer?). I'd rate these as the toughest if the list of contenders is restricted to single track.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    343
    this thread brings the stoke (and pain)....looking forward to things drying out. I guess all the data mongering at least allows for some fun.

  29. #29
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    ...looking forward to things drying out...
    Yow, I've been praying for some rain!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Wow the Red Tail Black Cap climb looks cool. Need to ride over there this summer. Not so interested in climbing Burke on J Bar but yup, I bet it hurts.
    I think you'd really dig it. We just did our big annual ride there that extends this ride into close to 30 miles and about 5k of climbing w/pretty ripping downhills in between. Couple of nice vistas/beer stashes as well.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdlman View Post
    Hard to top riding up Lower & Upper J-Bar at Burke if you're looking for bragging rights in the northeast. 2,000' of gain, 15% average.

    Of course, there's a nice Camptown > Toll Road climber's route sitting right there to the left, probably why it's not on most people's list. But it could be...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burke-J-Bar.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	1074755
    I'd be surprised if riding up Upper J-Bar was even possible, unless you have a super granny gear. Even then there'd be a lot of hike-a-bike. Lower J could be done. I'd never do it though. We met up with some Joeys a few years back climbing (walking their bikes) up the DH trail. We pretty much ran them off the trail (not on purpose) as we ripped by them. Pretty dangerous.

    My fav climb in Burke is Tiki-Bar > Burnham Up > Hobbit? > Camptown > Access Road.
    Then reverse it Freeride Trail > Camptown > CCC > Lower J > Burnham Down > Tiki-Bar
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Red Tail Trail plan & profile. It is about 1600' of climbing to the summit of Black Cap (top track not shown).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NH Red Tail plan-profile.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	1074517
    Rob,
    You have any stats on climbing up HorseThief Bench from the Echo lot? It's probably not as long but it's has some of the longest steep sections, that are make-able, that I've seen in New England.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

  33. #33
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Rob,
    You have any stats on climbing up HorseThief Bench from the Echo lot? It's probably not as long but it's has some of the longest steep sections, that are make-able, that I've seen in New England.
    Hi Bill - it looks to be about 1200' of climbing according to one GPS track i have, but that's not all the way to the lot. For my money it is the premier testpiece climb in the area. Took me about a decade of attempts to clean the whole thing in one push with no dabs or rests, including multiple tries that failed at the top rock overlap crux... much like a great rock climb.

Similar Threads

  1. What are the Great Climbers?
    By objectuser in forum 27.5
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-06-2014, 05:30 PM
  2. Right Of Way Etiquette - climbers?
    By tarnishd in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
  4. Last Years Used Climbers
    By PaintPeelinPbody in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM
  5. Any climbers here? I might have seen you yesterday
    By xcguy in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.