Central Vermont Spring 09 - what's dry? How soon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Central Vermont Spring 09 - what's dry? How soon?

Edit. I'd like to keep this thread going for Washington County, VT trail updates, trail work, etc.

If a mod cares to adjust the title, all the better.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 04-21-2009 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Millstone still has snow in certain areas. Others are bone dry. We should be up and running by the beginning of May. Itching to get out too.

fried stuff with cheese
    Few of us drove up to check out Pine Hill in Rutland yesterday.
    Bone dry.
    Perfect.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Middlebury stuff is G2G from what I hear....HHHSSSSSSSS!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    http://www.fotwheel.org/trails.php

I'm going to go check out Sunny Hollow later - I'll let y'all know...

mtbr member
    I hit some in-town stuff yesterday. It was either dry, glop or foamy ice. By foamy, I mean like strong styrofoam that grips tires. I walked the glop areas.

I've been riding to work to get my legs back. Little by little.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Few of us drove up to check out Pine Hill in Rutland yesterday.
    Bone dry.
    Perfect.
    Pine Hill Park in Rutland is BONE dry as he said. Mid-summer conditions.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    I rode Sunny Hollow today, everything was pretty damn dry........

mtbr member
    Although, not central VT, Saxon Hill in Essex is open. Lower trails are bone dry and fast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Middlebury area trals were sweet today. First ride of the year for me....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rudy Project Eyewear
    I hope your bike came home squeaky clean with not a speck of mud on it Davey......

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That it did. Becasue we walked all the mud on the climb, which, this time of year, was welcomed.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JFalcetti
    I hope your bike came home squeaky clean with not a speck of mud on it Davey......
    Your no saint... well said.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Your no saint... well said.
    Do we know eachother?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    http://www.fotwheel.org/trails.php
    These people take care of the trails you rode J....please read their take....part of the problem or part of the solution.
    "Please walk around any muddy spots you may encounter."

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Do we know eachother?
    Not that I know of.

I dug JFalcetti's jab. Keeping you in check.

Props for taking care of the trail... fighting the good fight.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Its all in good fun, I meant no offense...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Not that I know of.

I dug JFalcetti's jab. Keeping you in check.

Props for taking care of the trail... fighting the good fight.

Fair enough. When you spend a few hundred hours a year cleaning up after users who never give back, your patience wears thin and you may find yourself going slightly off topic to try and raise awareness of just how much damage can be done by a few people too lazy to get off and walk the slop this time of year, and how seriously the state and private land owners react to a few MTBers trashing trails.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Wow. I have about 7 hours this year. Thought that was respectable. Guess I need to get back out there... this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This season I've been out for about 40 hours in so far. I enjoy buffing out/building trail. Most folks don't realize what one or two tire tracks up a soft trail will do. It channels water to run down the trail bring moisture back to sections of trail that were allready good to go....setting the whole drying process back. I spent a solid 2 hours today dealing with that....2 riders cost me 2 hours that could have been spent building new trail. It's a labor of love, but it can be bitter sweet.

mtbr member
    the lower elevation mad river valley trails are dry & getting cleaned up too.
    come on by.

mtbr member
    Any group trial work going on this weekend? I'd like to take my mentoring buddy out and invest a little before the season is in full swing.

Barre / Montpelier / Waterbury area.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Camp J was dry last week and Mud Pond (which I hit up yesterday) was in great shape too! The season is here for sure...

mtbr member
    W00t. I went out with three friends yesterday. We raked leaves and snipped puckerbrush along a nice long section of a really nice, clandestine local trail.

What's that expression about the amount of work accomplished as the inverse proportion of the number of teenage boys involved? They bogged down about halfway through the work. Not that they were tired - they spent the last 45 minutes knocking over a dead tree.

Dec 2008
    funny how people talk about a tire track or two from a mtn. bike can ruin trails or set back the drying process. may be true, but what does the tires from the dirt bikes do to those same trails that those same people are talking about? Iroinc? Ill informed? or just plain Hypritical.

mtbr member
    Dude...

Dec 2008
    Word...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hackjobbob
    funny how people talk about a tire track or two from a mtn. bike can ruin trails or set back the drying process. may be true, but what does the tires from the dirt bikes do to those same trails that those same people are talking about? Iroinc? Ill informed? or just plain Hypritical.

What do dirt bikes have to do with this thread.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Wondering what's dry in Waitsfield. Urich Pond area? Also, How's H2Obury? I know it doesn't "open" for a little while, but it's always been ridable early if you are willing to walk here and there. Thnks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Waterbury must be in good shape. It faces south and it dries pretty well to begin with. I haven't gone down ther eyet because as you said, it's not "open" yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In the MR Valley, Dennyland trail network is bone dry, and Ctr Fayston Trail & Hydeaway are pretty good. I rode Ctr Fayston Sat AM w/ an axe and cleared 4-5 blowdown - one was a big rock maple that worked me pretty good.

Don't know about stuff on Dana Hill - good bit of that is north-facing and higher up, but hard sayin' not knowin'.

I think VMBA is doing a walk-thru of Waterbury trails with VT FPR this week, so I'd steer clear of there for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharny
    I think VMBA is doing a walk-thru of Waterbury trails with VT FPR this week, so I'd steer clear of there for now.
    Good to know It's not like we don't have the whole rest of the year to ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Anyone know the Fayston stuff wanna ride this afternoon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Vt

The Vermont Mountain Bike Association will present New World Disorder 9 - Never Enough, at Main Street Landing Performing Arts Center in Burlington on Saturday May 16th, 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. shows. Sponsored by B-Scene, Rocky Mountain Bikes, Mocean365 and Ideride. The film night sold out to 450 people last year! Be sure to buy tickets in advance at: www.flynntix.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Pine Hill Park in Rutland was mostly dry as of yesterday with a few puddles here and there. We did receive some substantial rains this afternoon so I'd steer clear for a day or two once the sun comes back and let them dry out nice again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Vermont

Next Thursday - May 28th, 2009 @ 7 p.m., the Vermont Mountain Bike Association will be holding the first public meeting about the Ride Center project, which aims to develop a large trail system from Waterbury to Stowe and Jeffersonville and Mad River Valley. The meeting is open to all, and we need a huge show of support from mountain bikers. Come along and learn about the project, give your input, show your support. Location - Ackley Building (Town Office), Main Street Stowe, VT. See you there. Thanks, Patrick

mtbr member
    May 2007

Ride Center

MAMBA plans to hold our weekly ride in Stowe next Thurs. and then stop by. Hopefully we can add 10-15 bodies. -Chuck

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Trail conditions report? Central VT got some pretty heavy rain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm thinking it's road bike time for at least a few days. Or you could go paddling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wet and muddy. I know someone who foolishly rode yesterday, said it was the muddiest it has been all year. We just got a passing shower that was pretty heavy as well. I think we are looking at mid-week at the earliest before the trails are safe to ride without damaging them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I saw someone come out of the Stowe Town Loops yesterday covered head to toe in mud. I wanted to yank the wheel left and crush him, but I didn't so he's probably doing it again right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Vt

There was a huge work project on Burning Spear in Waterbury this past week, a lot of great work got done, but is is a total mud pit. I was just up there again this afternoon crushing stone with a sledge hammer and armoring wet spots. It's will be great when it dries, but for now it is definitely closed. Thanks, Patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Saw a car with bike on the rack coming out of Rutland COVERED in mud. it was absolutely pasted on.

I wanted to cry. Fortunately the person I knew recognized his mistake very early on and got out on a work road right away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Boating has been fantastic for late spring...but the creeks have dropped out...prolly trailwork tomorrow.

beer thief
    Most of the trails around Conway are sand and gravel and drain really well. we rode Friday night and saturday without dealing with a speck of mud. Lucky

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Lots of dry riding in the Mad River Valley now. Most stuff is tacky perfection, but small commonly wet areas do persist. Did Center Fayston to Rocky Road to Stagecoach to East Loop/ Chain Gang to Hyde Away last night and had a great time. What a monster climb and descent, the posse generously waited for me several times on the up.

A short loop in Moretown the night before was even drier. Good to run into the Onion River crew and get my first Thursday night group ride this week.

Please come help tomorrow in Camel's Hump State Forest for National Trails Day. Rock armoring = ride anytime!

John

Members who have read this thread: 0