Central NH Fat Bikers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Central NH Fat Bikers

Hay guys, even with much of the thanksgiving snow melting the trails are sucking for mtb in the Plymouth/Thornton area.

If you are going out or hoisting a fat bike ride please post, i will do the same. Also if the trail conditions are great some where please let us know.

Last winter I mostly rode snowmobile and hiking trails in the Plymouth , Campton, Rumny area. Would like to make it down to beer brook more and more packed bike/hiking trails.

Going to try to make it out this weekend 6-7th maybe do some trails in smarts brook let me know if any are interested
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

beer thief
    Going to do a global fat bike day ride this Saturday 12/6 in Conway on a local snowmobile trail. Weather forecast is looking iffy but we'll see.

One of the best rides I did last winter was in the Zealand Notch area near Twin Mountain. A bit north of you but easy access from I93. We parked on Rt. 302 and took the tunnel under the highway then followed the (unplowed) road to its end and continued to Zealand hut. The trail from the end of the road to the Wilderness boundary is a blast both up & down - rides like a modern flow trail. It gets a ton of hiker traffic so is pounded out well, with a lot of the hikers pulling sleds for overnight trips to the hut. Can't wait to hit it again. We also did some hike-a-bike partway up the Sugarloaf trail for the DH; good stuff.

mtbr member
    Chainline Cycles has built a groomer so there is a good chance at least some of the singletrack down more in the lakes region (maintained by Central NH NEMBA) will be groomed for riding.

I'll keep this thread posted...

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting guys, i would like to make the trip up to the Zealand trailhead at some point, I dont mind driving. I moving at some point this winter to the house i bought in Meredith so a trip up to Conway wouldn't be so bad.

I also wanted to start a thread about best hiking trails to ride a fat on. Maybe we can post here too.

mtbr member
    Was in the woods yesterday in Meredith and the snow crust is getting pretty thick. It was raining last night too so today would probably be pretty good man wish i had some time and energy to ride

Ho'lier than thou
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay guys,
    So you started this thread 2 days ago and you didn't even swing by OC to say Hay? I see how you are...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    So you started this thread 2 days ago and you didn't even swing by OC to say Hay? I see how you are...
    Haha Are you stocking me again, of course im going to stop by

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlav View Post
    Chainline Cycles has built a groomer so there is a good chance at least some of the singletrack down more in the lakes region (maintained by Central NH NEMBA) will be groomed for riding.

I'll keep this thread posted...
    Great to hear Eric and the crew are grooming this year! Great memories of early years riding with them and discovering the lakes region. CL has always done a superb job building, maintaining and advocating great trails in the area. Owning a snow bike this year, I will definitely be heading back for some of that hero snow for sure!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    just a heads up Franklin is riding pretty well right now and with a bit more traffic in spots it will be perfect for fat biking.

Traffic decreases as you head away from the parking lot but whaleback, sniper, moose gulley, pine snake, bee were all in great shape. Mighty Chicken was a bit sketch but doable. No one has ventured up to rusty yet and it looked like salmon has not seen wheels either. I was second wheels on lost wall and cellar hole. Old bench was ridden in well though. I broke trail on caddywhompus on the way back. Looked like Rogue had maybe 1-2 riders on it so far but I skipped it.

I'm trying to figure out some way that Central NH riders can crowdsource trail reports/maintenance for Fat biking. I could post stuff to Central NH NEMBA's blog if folks would keep me updated, or I could start an email list / Google group that people could subscribe to, or we could just do it here....

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You might be looking for more but a riding buddy started this site to maintain and report train conditions which works well for year-round reporting: https://www.trailhub.org/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update on FF, i might hit it up tomorrow morning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    You might be looking for more but a riding buddy started this site to maintain and report train conditions which works well for year-round reporting: https://www.trailhub.org/
    that looks cool but I'm thinking something a little more grassroots. Just something simple but really valuable to a small subset of people riding fat bikes in this area. Probably end up just being me updating this thread when I ride and posting to the CNH NEMBA blog. If I can get people to follow suit maybe I can post their reports on our blog as well and before you know it we've got a mini network of trail reporters. I can dream anyway...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OK. it was written to cover roughy what you are looking for so PM me and I will put you in touch with my buddy to learn more. If nothing else you will be introduced to a good guy / rider / skier / beer drinker in VT...

mtbr member
    Got a quick ride at franklin falls this morning, to mirror must of what theslav stated, its pretty good riding. The road up to rusty bucket was hard to make it up but there was two tracks on rusty bucket. Over all it was pretty good. Best trail was Bee trail going down and mighty chicken.

If I have time I might hit up Waterville Valley xc ski trails in the morning

think
    Jul 2008
    You make it up to Waterville?

Was over at Franklin on Saturday, it's pretty good. May be up there tomorrow evening as well if it's not pouring.

mtbr member
    Nope, never made it up to WV, theres a very small chance that i could get up there tonight. If I can get my ducks in a row my go up there this morning. I'll give updates if i do. Im in the tale end of a major house renovation and thats where 110% of time and energy is going. Hopefully we will be moved in with in a month. Taking a good three to four weeks off to get settled, rest, and ride a bunch!

beer thief
    Went to Zealand last weekend but our timing was off. They had a few inches of fresh dry snow so it was slow going (still faster than skis). We were following ski tracks on old packed trail so there was a 3" median strip of snow right in the middle. Turned around at the end of the summer road. The return trip was a blast, particularly the snowmobile trail near the trailhead - thankfully there were no slednecks coming up as we descended at Mach 10!

I expect this week will see the start of overnight guests at Zealand Hut, which should mean sleds packing & smoothing the trail. Give it a couple weeks and it should be much better. Think snow!

Live Free & Ride
    May need to head up toward that way for snow conditions. Here in Dover the winter is going in reverse, with no snow and ice melt.
    Is Zealand one of the better places to take a fat bike for packed trails up north? Have also heard good things about Waterville Valley with all the XC skiing trails. Really hoping the Dec thaw is short lived and we get back into winter soon. I've got lots of local areas that will be perfect with some packed snow!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Waterville Valley--I ski, bike in no snow season. What you have in WV is 40 miles of groomed xc ski trails , about have of which is free and un-restricted, Bikes , dogs, walkers, snow shoers, all welcome. These groomed trails lead to miles of maintained hiking trails that are packed by many backcountry travelers, maybe adding another 10-15 miles of backcountry fat biking...you can get 600' verts and downhill on old Alpine trails, yes, groomed. After this rain it will be bad for skiers but excellent for fat after it freezes up..

think
    Jul 2008
    Raining pretty hard right now and looks to get warmer. Sucks.

At this rate we'll be riding everywhere, because there's not gonna be snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd say any place South and East of Plymouth will be bare, i.e Franklin , Spaulding, Bear Brook? --an once it freezes it will be the best, Fat or not...get it early before it thaws

mtbr member
    Yup just hold on for a few more days it will be good riding fat or no fat. A few winters ago after a storm like this smarts brook crust riding was sooo good on the trail bike, could riding any wear almost as good as dirt, could drift the turns. Hope its like this after the rain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Waterville Today--checked out trailheads, including Smart's Brook: lots of running water and saturated snow/ice/slush mix. Lost quite a bit of base and still well above freezing. Best bet for Fat riding will be Livermore and Tripoli (especially-groomed, drains well, best snow cover, big climb to the Pass and big descent--test your fat bike skills..watch out for Olympic Nordic skier coming down at about 40 mph...All of this Saturday morning after freeze and early before it thaws. Livermore Trail & Greeley Ponds Trail should be good for Fat

think
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the update. This weather is downright unseasonable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My bike/ski friends reminded me that 3 years ago they rode Franklin on regular set-up--no snow, no mud, clean, all frozen--it was January 7..Fast and fun. Best of the year!

banned
    Sep 2008
    perfect dirt over on the coast.

rog

think
    Jul 2008
    Franklin is totally ridable on anything, although studs wouldn't hurt. Probably 3/4 dirt at this point.

mtbr member
    The snowmobile trails were nice and crusty, well for that matter you could pretty much ride the crust any where in the woods, really wish i had studs for loon lake in Plymouth Central NH Fat Bikers-image.jpg

We will see what this next storm will bring but its looking like we will get freezing rain on what we get tonight

mtbr member
    ok so who is breaking trail where?

Crust is solid just about everywhere and will need to be punched through before riding gets reasonable again. A coworker and I are working on snowshoe grooming in the immediate Plymouth area. We stamped out a little loop around Gyro today on lunch.

Activity Profile | Snowshoe Groomin'! near Plymouth | Times and Records | Strava

Not sure how well it will ride quite yet, it was pretty sugary underneath and will still probably be slow going. If its not too brutally cold in the next few days I might try to ride it. We will also probably be trying to snowshoe groom a bit in Fox Park on our lunch breaks in the near future.

think
    Jul 2008
    Looks like some cold weather ahead. I have a busy week but if I get the chance I'll head over to Franklin in the evening and ride or snowshoe some trail.

Edit: if others would like to join me post up. Perhaps we can get something going.

mtbr member
    I could probly do some snow shoe packing(sounds like some thing that goes down in
    P-Town) lol wednessday-Friday night in the Plymouth smarts brook area. I like tracking out trails near areas of high foot or ski traffic and then link them so we aren't starting from scratch.

mtbr member
    Wasnt' sure how many folks were aware of the weeknight fat bike races coming up down at Gunstock. Should probably be a decent time and a good turnout would probably go a long way to them opening up their nordic system to fat bikes on a more regular basis.

https://www.bikereg.com/26445

They are part of a larger series: Home - Winter Fat Bike NH Series

mtbr member
    Got out yesterday on some snowmobile tracks in Plymouth. The snow was still to soft to ride up hill on the SM tracks. This wasn't a groomed trail just some rogue tracks. It was fun on the dhs, but over all frustrating. Just went bacteria to riding dirt roads till this warm up MondayCentral NH Fat Bikers-image.jpg

banned
    Sep 2008
    come south and coast way for go anywhere fatty bliss. trail or no trail. another inch tomorrow=icing on the cake

rog

mtbr member
    I would be down for the drive, but im slammed trying to finish a rehab project on a house i bought in the fall. I hate when life gets in the way of my bike riding. Almost done.??.

banned
    Sep 2008
    I would be down for the drive, but im slammed trying to finish a rehab project on a house i bought in the fall. I hate when life gets in the way of my bike riding. Almost done.??.
    If you can make time and it stays cold come down for a tour. I'm taking a month off from work starting next week so my daily rides will be continuing with a bit more flexibility.

rog

mtbr member
    If you took a month off you should be coming up here, do you know how to instale granite counter tops?

banned
    Sep 2008
    If you took a month off you should be coming up here, do you know how to instale granite counter tops?
    true dat

granite counter top install? never done it but shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

SNOWING!!!! bike's idling in the garage while coffee goes down

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How is Franklin right now? Much snow cover? Thinking about trying to talk friends out of going somewhere else and hitting Franklin Falls. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I haven't been in a few weeks, but i bet it will be good after Sundays rain

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I haven't been in a few weeks, but i bet it will be good after Sundays rain
    Thanks for the reply. We hit FOMBA and it was pretty amazing. Lot's of bike out there and the trails were packed hard and fast. Hopefully they recover after the rain and warm because the conditions were worth the trip.

mtbr member
    I rode Franklin just before the rain Sunday. It was pretty good. A subset of the trails were riding great. The stuff closest to the parking lot is getting a lot of multi-use traffic and was in the best shape. (whaleback, sniper, stump, bee) Lost wall, cellar hole, old bench etc. were riding ok but with less traffic. There were a few trails that didn't appear to have gotten anything and with certain loops riding so well it seems like everyone is now taking the path of least resistance as opposed to breaking more trail (myself included)

Rain Sunday probably only helped to consolidate things a bit although studs might be a nice thing to have if this trend continues.

Live Free & Ride
    Took a walk on Webster Lake in Franklin on Saturday and came across a few sleds and a 4 stroke dirt bike pulling off 40mph wheelies. Only wish I had my NTB as the lake was perfect for riding....a few snow drifts and mostly hardened snow with a few small patches of ice here and there. I used to spend alot of time on this lake and many snow-mo rides to the top of the View overlooking. Plan on repeating this route on the fatty in the winter and again in the warmer months. A great descent follows some steady climbing!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    The snowmobile trail in Plymouth off of fair grounds road are primo! The edges that were groomed that n sled haven rode over was so smooth and fast but was a little Icy. I only rode it up to the Campton bog. Going to try and summit Ellsworth snowmobile trails this weekend. It was road bike fast. Can't wait to get back out there

mtbr member
    The snowmobile trails in the west Plymouth/south Campton area have been not thinglest than hero crust. The sleds that are out there are ripping up the crust enough to make the snow a little forgiving and drifty. I found some red neck four wheeler tracks that prove to be very fun. I wish i could get out before the storm but got to keep pluging away at this dame house

Central NH Fat Bikers-image.jpg
    One of the trees from lord of the rings

I wish i had studs for Campton bog

Live Free & Ride
    The snowmobile trails in the west Plymouth/south Campton area have been not thinglest than hero crust. The sleds that are out there are ripping up the crust enough to make the snow a little forgiving and drifty. I found some red neck four wheeler tracks that prove to be very fun. I wish i could get out before the storm but got to keep pluging away at this dame house

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	958148
    One of the trees from lord of the rings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	958149
    I wish i had studs for Campton bog
    Looks real nice...
    That 2nd panaramic shot is the ONE!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

banned
    Sep 2008
    nice! 3 inches down here on the coast so far and coming straight down! slowshoes will be needed for the packing me thinks.

enjoy!

rog

mtbr member
    Just got back to Plymouth from Meredith. We got at lest 3", barely a dusting in Plymouth. Think I might try to get a ride going for Sunday night up at the Waterville valley XC trails if any are interested

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Looks real nice...
    That 2nd panaramic shot is the ONE!
    Thanks, you posted some beauties in the New England picture of thread

think
    Jul 2008
    I missed this post, but I was heavily involved in work anyway. Looks like another week and a half of seven day work stuff and then I'll be out more. Would be fun to get up to waterville. We'll see how conditions are after tomorrow.

Live Free & Ride
    Anyone hitting the plowed back roads after the sh*t storm blows through? Considering this as all the trails will be snow bound for awhile now. :-(
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    They are only snow bound until you get in there and pack them out!

CNH NEMBA is having a little social snowshoe grooming event tomorrow evening at Ahern State Park in Laconia. We're looking to meet at 5:45pm at the main lot on Ahern Park Rd. (Just off Right Way Path / Rt. 106. Use these coordinates in Google Maps: 43.557372, -71.494419)

Eric from Chainline Cycles built a drag groomer this year and we are going to try and have Ahern groomed out as often as we can. More shoes the better. I'm bringing the beers. Come hang out!

beer thief
    ...Eric from Chainline Cycles built a drag groomer this year and we are going to try and have Ahern groomed out as often as we can. More shoes the better. I'm bringing the beers. Come hang out!
    Please post pics of the groomer! I came up with this wheelbarrow tub and it works great but needs conditions above freezing to effectively pack. Obviously snowshoeing ahead of time will get the tread ready so props for getting out there. Winter packing is a good way to check out trail tweaks too. I packed a couple different lines last year to see how they rode and realigned the trail in the spring to improve the flow. Berms, jumps, pump bumps - winter allows you to build all kinds of cool stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Sorry for the horrible pics but those are all I have of it currently. It sets a real nice uniform track. Doesn't do a whole lot of compression but trying to compress completely with a drag is a battle youre never really going to win IMO. Better to compress with lots of human traffic and some help from nature if you can get it. Our goal was to get a track set so that more folks will see it and travel it and keep it established.

We ended up getting five sets of shoes and the drag out last night at Ahern. Set track on just about everything in the main section of the park. Upper/Lower Jakes, Yo Benson, Psycho, Rusty Bedspring, Sunset, Rattlesnake. About 4 miles all told. Only thing we missed were Alcatraz and Escape. Some of it will ride great right now other sections not quite as much but close.

I believe Eric is heading out again today seeing as some of our work will get covered with a possible few inches of snow. Thurs night grooming might become a somewhat regular thing now in Central. Got a lot of good work done last night.

Central NH Fat Bikers-photo-jan-29-5-41-13-pm.jpg
    Central NH Fat Bikers-photo-jan-29-6-14-02-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Great job guys, i was going to be there but have been fighting the fue the last few days. The house i bought and have been working on is only 5 mins down the road, i might bring the bike to work and do a few laps some evening. Or HOPEFULLY I'll be done working on this dame house and be living in it and i can just ride my bike on the snowmobile trail over there.

mtbr member
    snow machine trails in that area are getting a lot of use currently and would ride pretty excellent right now.

Once these trails are all good to go I'm thinking about trying to ride from home across Winnisquam from Sanbornton Town Beach to Ahern getting all the singletrack and then back across the lake.

mtbr member
    snow machine trails in that area are getting a lot of use currently and would ride pretty excellent right now.

Once these trails are all good to go I'm thinking about trying to ride from home across Winnisquam from Sanbornton Town Beach to Ahern getting all the singletrack and then back across the lake.
    Have you been in ahern lately? I've never been there in the winter so im not sure how much traffic they get.

Also has any one been to bear brook much this winter? My friend in concord just got a fat bike and was going to take him there.

I made it out Sunday or Monday on the snowmobile trails, started in Plymouth and worked my way over Campton bog, up to Ellsworth hill, stoping by the chandler hill trails. The chandler hill rd had a good amount of snowmobile pack butt the snow drifts were three feet plus deep! it made for some good over the bars face plants. Riding across the field was ether super slick crust or giant wind drifts. Central NH Fat Bikers-image.jpg

I took some air out of my tires and like a dummy let to much out, with no pump. It made riding the few miles of road BOUNCY! The last steep down hill i G out a corner going way to fast, (almost over the bars again), and unseated my front tire from the rim a mile and half from home. The tire stayed on the rim. I rode it for a few mins but just couldn't take the sound of the tire and tube squeaking made me walk 40 mins home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central NH Fat Bikers-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Have you been in ahern lately? I've never been there in the winter so im not sure how much traffic they get.

Also has any one been to bear brook much this winter? My friend in concord just got a fat bike and was going to take him there.
    I personally haven't been to Ahern since we groomed that Thurs night. Track is set so hopefully locals are out and using it but I dont have a good feel for the daily level of traffic over there. Its probably not bad but with this much dry fluffy snow my guess is riding singletrack trails is going to be a bit tough until we get some help from Mother Nature. Basically comes down to having enough compression of the snow pack once that slight warm up hits then we'll be golden.

I know there are a few groups of guys that fat bike at Bear Brook pretty regularly but I can't speak to current conditions.

Live Free & Ride
    Would love to get back out there, Ahearn or BB! Here at the coast we have just been slammed over the past few weeks, with another few inches today. Between the cold and the feet of snow, no one has been out to pack...not even the snow shoers or xc ski crowd. May just need to get off my ass and get it done around the pond, at least. Tired of being cooped up inside or only hitting the gym. Really missing the fat bike and realize now that its someting I NEED to be on every week!

On a more positive note.... There are some descent snomo trails not far north in Rochester. I will just have to truck the bike up there and unload near the Irving on rte 11 and see how much traffic has been working the trails. Keeping my head up and hoping mother nature will help out soon. :-)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

banned
    Sep 2008
    Would love to get back out there, Ahearn or BB! Here at the coast we have just been slammed over the past few weeks, with another few inches today. Between the cold and the feet of snow, no one has been out to pack...not even the snow shoers or xc ski crowd. May just need to get off my ass and get it done around the pond, at least. Tired of being cooped up inside or only hitting the gym. Really missing the fat bike and realize now that its someting I NEED to be on every week!

On a more positive note.... There are some descent snomo trails not far north in Rochester. I will just have to truck the bike up there and unload near the Irving on rte 11 and see how much traffic has been working the trails. Keeping my head up and hoping mother nature will help out soon. :-)
    just go down to the rail bed in newfields/newmarket. the thing goes all the way to manchvegas and has tons of stuff off of it.

rog

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Please post pics of the groomer! I came up with this wheelbarrow tub and it works great but needs conditions above freezing to effectively pack. Obviously snowshoeing ahead of time will get the tread ready so props for getting out there. Winter packing is a good way to check out trail tweaks too. I packed a couple different lines last year to see how they rode and realigned the trail in the spring to improve the flow. Berms, jumps, pump bumps - winter allows you to build all kinds of cool stuff.
    Thats a great idea with the wheelbarrow tub...think I can come up with something similar to pack down the pond trail along with snowshoes. Are you finding this works for packing and then riding afterward...even with the light powder snow? This dry granular stuff seems tough to pack and doesn't support even the fat tires cuz its so DEEP!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

banned
    Sep 2008
    a hot soaking rain would be nice

rog

beer thief
    Thats a great idea with the wheelbarrow tub...think I can come up with something similar to pack down the pond trail along with snowshoes. Are you finding this works for packing and then riding afterward...even with the light powder snow? This dry granular stuff seems tough to pack and doesn't support even the fat tires cuz its so DEEP!
    For best results pull the tub on a day above freezing on trails that have been snowshoed at least a couple of passes. Overnight deep freeze and trails are mint. Cold dry snow does not pack but a few passes on skis or 'shoes helps get it ready.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    You should keep a fire burning in that tub while you drag it. If you heat the metal up enough, it should give you that "above freezing" effect you need to pack the trails nice. Plus where ever you end up stopping, it will be a good spot to chill and have beer.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    You should keep a fire burning in that tub while you drag it. If you heat the metal up enough, it should give you that "above freezing" effect you need to pack the trails nice. Plus where ever you end up stopping, it will be a good spot to chill and have beer.
    You are not the first person to suggest this, and i think it's a great idea. I would need to replace my eye-bolt wooden backer blocks with steel but a bed of charcoals cooking up some burgers or ribs would make for a fun outing. I will be sure to post pics if i ever do this.

mtbr member
    Figured I get this thread going since the riding is great right now. So let's us know where you have been riding and how it is and if you want som company

I live near the reservoir walking trails in Meredith so I've been riding there and some snowmobile trails when I have limited time.

Smarts brooks xc ski trails have been great with litlle to no ice

Rambling veiw xc ski trails are pretty much all packed with most of the single track packed in.

I hope to make it down to bear brook this week. I plan on doing a larger ride tomorrow and maybe a short spin in ahern on Sunday.
    Please keep us updated and if you would like a partner let us know.
    I might start planning a wednessday night right if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    concord nh is fantastic,rode the trails on sunday great grip some of it was unridden some had been snowshoed.we rode 8 miles in a couple of hours,lots of fun,get out there and do it.

mtbr member
    Franklin fall is is pretty much all tracked out except for the lower heritage trail but can be easily ridden with a fat. Any one that doesn't have a fat should be able to ride with regular tires aired down some. Studs would be nice for the few icy spots but still should be good. Pretty much every where I've been have been great!

mtbr member
    Rode ahren yesterday, it's had some traffic but not as much as I expected on the single track. I was able to ride every thing on the fat bike but im pretty sure a non fat wouldn't be worth it.

beer thief
    Most of the lower trails in the North Conway area are mint, such as the east side stuff from Pudding Pond to Redstone Quarry as well as most of the west side. The top of Red Tail is drifted in but the lower half is reportedly excellent. Albany Town Forest is also good but not very long.

mtbr member
    Well it's that time again, well it has been for a little bit. Last week I got over to rambling view a few times and every thing was riding great. But now I think we will need to do some packing(my best pick up line) or wait for some traffic on the trail. We got about 5-7 inches in Meredith. Anyone have anything organized to pack out any trails? Not sure if we'll get more snow before Thursday but I'll try to get out somewhere with the snowshoes. Let's update on trail conditions and have a good season

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Central NH Fat Bikers

Hi all - I am visiting family at Lake Winni for the holidays. Where are some fat bike friendly trails? It sounds like Gunstock is open to fatbikes...anything right around Wolfeboro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hay rumblefish, I've heard you can ride on the castle in the clouds trails. Im not sure if that's true or if it's any good for riding. I'd try to hook up with someone in Conway or hit rambling view in gilford, or Ahern in Laconia. Both of these place has single track that has good some traffic and some that your going to have to switch into 4x4 mode. I road today and was having a hard time till I dropped more pressure in the rear tire. Let me know I might be able to meet you

mtbr member
    A little up date on rambling view, I spent the last two days riding and packing trails over there. Some trails are riding great and some need a little more traffic but still very rideable and fun. Boyd's, stone temple,Moose Q, rock wool, ski tril up to spitt n rinse, Lp, valley of doom, grand targhe back up To ski trail. If we can get some snowshoes on farm junk, ewe2 and double down we would be able to put together a really good ride. All the ski trails are packed down and after tomorrow I bet you could ride a regular trail bike

I was going to try to hit up some of the belknap mt hiking trails but just was to tired and my ass was hurt from my seat(I know you wanted to hear that) If your up to helping packing out some trails at night shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Hey NH'ers - anyone know what Franklin Falls or Plymouth are like for snow/trail conditions? Wondering if the warm temps/rain we had down south were also further north. (We had nice conditions for a weekend.)
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    I'm sure every where is amazing right now, I packed a bunch of trails over at rambling view in Gilford I over did it and rode over three hours, I also heard Ahern was pretty good. Also WV is rolling nicely. I guess they did a groom at the highlands XC trails as well as the trails in Littleton. Rhino bike works is renting fat bikes as well as highlands. I'm planning on doing some more even rides in the Plymouth and Thornton area. I guess highlands is planning on spinning the lifts and have a few of their DH trails. I'm super pumped for this and I've been after Mark to do this for a while so I hope it gets well supported. I might stud up a set of trail tires and hit up bear brook early next week. There's always a few trails there that get a little dicey after a heavy rain with out studs, so I'm hoping they got enough traffic to run 2.5s"

mtbr member
    Just wanted to start this tread up again. Meant to speak out sooner that the last week Ahern State Park has been riding great up until this afternoon. Thereís a good amount of trail under pine/hemlock trees so snow accumulations stays down. The trails have be seeing a lot of snowshoe traffic. But theres a few other bike trails that could more packing. Rambling view in Gilford will have a crew out packing trail Saturday and Saturday even though the rain might be over and temps might drop before Sunday. Iím going to try to get out to pack either tomorrow after the snow stops and sunday morning. Also thereís talk about getting some trail packing thing organized in the Plymouth and smarts areas. If anyone would like to help drink beers and walk around you can show up to those spot or PM me for my number or the other people trying to get this going. Thanks and see you guys out on the fatz