Bike trip planning. Need help for one more destination please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Bike trip planning. Need help for one more destination please.

Hi!

At first, we thought about returning at the Lazy lions campground and setup the tent only 1 time... If you look at this link, you'll see it's a bad idea. I'd rather choose a campsite between Thunder mountain and Highland, have any good idea? We would be interested in a cheap cabin if we have campfire.

We need a place to ride on our 3rd day. Something nice and technical, not a Burke mountain wannabe or a over-washed-by-rain spot. We may go back to Millstone, but only for the nice tracks (screw the spaguetti without flow!), we would need something to do in the afternoon. NEED SUGGESTION PLEASE!

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Water...d43.406482!3e0

1st day (XC)
    Morning ride: Waterburry, Perry hill (A classic, each year!)
    Afternoon ride: Stowe, Cadyhill

2nd day (DH)
    Thunder Mountain bike park

3rd day (XC)
    Millstone in the morning (if we don't have anything better to do all-day).
    ???? Afternoon ????

4th day (DH)
    Highland Mountain bike park (Classic!)

Well, guys... Can't wait for you advice!

Cheers!

banned
    Sep 2008
    i heard quebexico has awzum riding. you can ride side by each on some good track.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hum, we are from Quebec city itself. I do agree we have amazing stuff to ride, except DH.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post
    Hum, we are from Quebec city itself.
    how'd i know that?

your city is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney Trails is halfway between Millstone and Highland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your looking for lift access, sugarbush has some good riding. Plenty of flow and tech.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    North Conway, NH....read other threads with comments from radair and newmarketrog...big climbs and descents...hour and a half to Highlands from there...

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    North Conway, NH....read other threads with comments from radair and newmarketrog...big climbs and descents...hour and a half to Highlands from there...
    and no crowds. haven't seen a soul on any rides in years there. crazy. drains well too. ride when it rains from the ridges.

how bout the riding today? just got back. low humidity perfect temps and dirt. endless traction. woot!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks guys! I'll have a look in a few minutes.

we look for a non-chairlift ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ok. I had a look to Ascutney and it look promising, if anybody can tell me if the trail map I found is neat to up-to-date, I would appreciate.
    https://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ve...ail-report.jpg
    https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/...rail%20map.jpg

If you have any videos, come guys! It's you show now!!!

There is a statepark near, and it's a plus! Not bad to come from Thunder mountain and to go to Highland.

I had a look to Mad river, and again, I can't find any recent videos...
    The I found dates from 2011, and it's a guy from Quebec.

it looks really short to me...8.25 miles for the expert loop. 3 miles for the intermediates.

If you guys still have anything to purpose, gogogo!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    if you were shy to purpose heavy stuff, please have a look at:

well, bring it on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    stay at home?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    ok. I had a look to Ascutney and it look promising, if anybody can tell me if the trail map I found is neat to up-to-date, I would appreciate.
    https://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ve...ail-report.jpg
    https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/...rail%20map.jpg

If you have any videos, come guys! It's you show now!!!

There is a statepark near, and it's a plus! Not bad to come from Thunder mountain and to go to Highland.

I had a look to Mad river, and again, I can't find any recent videos...
    The I found dates from 2011, and it's a guy from Quebec.

it looks really short to me...8.25 miles for the expert loop. 3 miles for the intermediates.

If you guys still have anything to purpose, gogogo!

Thanks!
    there is far more riding then the loops laided out in the valley. The map they have is quite easier to find as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1st day (XC)
    Morning ride: Waterburry, Perry hill (A classic, each year!)
    Afternoon ride: Stowe, Cadyhill

2nd day (DH)
    Thunder Mountain bike park

3rd day (XC)
    Millstone in the morning (if we don't have anything better to do all-day).
    ???? Afternoon ????

4th day (DH)
    Highland Mountain bike park (Classic!)

Well, guys... Can't wait for you advice!

Cheers!
    One of my friends went to Thunder Mtn this past weekend, and indicated it's still rough and not worthy as a destination at this point. Said it might be at this point next year. You may want to do some more research before making the trek down there.

My advice: Go to Sunday River on Day #2 for DH (Lifts only run Thurs-Sun at Sunday River) and then visit North Conway for day #3.

Sunday River

banned
    Sep 2008
    sunday river is the call for dh tech, and n-con for longer dh xc. funneh i used to spend summers (95 and 96') working and riding sunday river daily and we rode everything dh and xc on our rigid stumpy's and didn't think twice about it. THE SPORTS GONE SOFT!

day 2 the rivah and day 3 n-con is perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Ascutney Trails map you found is a trail update from May 2013. Nearly all those "red" trails are open now - and more. You will waste a lot less time if you get a map at the General Store - up to date - suggested loops - numbered intersections, tips, etc. (If you are only there for an afternoon, you have 35 miles to go wrong.) In general, the upper left stuff is new school - (smooth, flow), the far right is old school - (technical, very wilderness feeling, beautiful.) The terrain and vegetation is more diverse than anything you'll see elsewhere - fields, hemlock, hardwood glades, waterfalls, cliffs. I'd suggest taking the #3 loops from the town forest lot - some good flow - and add in some gnarly, rocky stuff - Rock n Roll, South Ridge Run, Ridgeback on 3B (don't miss lower New Belle). Next time hit the ski slope trails and the Gracie's Loop area and finish up on the flowing greenies - Pine Twister and Hayride. Here's a video from 3 years ago, before we bermed anything, but it gives you the flavor. (Also look at the Ascutney Trails FB page for some clips.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    The Ascutney Trails map you found is a trail update from May 2013. Nearly all those "red" trails are open now - and more. You will waste a lot less time if you get a map at the General Store - up to date - suggested loops - numbered intersections, tips, etc. (If you are only there for an afternoon, you have 35 miles to go wrong.) In general, the upper left stuff is new school - (smooth, flow), the far right is old school - (technical, very wilderness feeling, beautiful.) The terrain and vegetation is more diverse than anything you'll see elsewhere - fields, hemlock, hardwood glades, waterfalls, cliffs. I'd suggest taking the #3 loops from the town forest lot - some good flow - and add in some gnarly, rocky stuff - Rock n Roll, South Ridge Run, Ridgeback on 3B (don't miss lower New Belle). Next time hit the ski slope trails and the Gracie's Loop area and finish up on the flowing greenies - Pine Twister and Hayride. Here's a video from 3 years ago, before we bermed anything, but it gives you the flavor. (Also look at the Ascutney Trails FB page for some clips.)
    Allright! Thanks for taking that much time

Ascutney gonna be nice. It may counts as a recovery day (we'll see about it lol). We are talking about a 5th day. Maybe the bike park of Burke, we only did the Jaybar.

I promess to post a few clips after.

mtbr member
    I did a great ascutney ride that went as follows- From the hotel partking lot (far left on map)-

- last mile->lower broadway/broadway > last mile >cross cut >Gracies >falls from grace >Falls >Bypass (up) >Bicentennial >pass the buck >cloud 9 >lynx >escalator >Rock n Roll >escalator >Grassy knoll > south ridge run > up ridgeback >New Belle >cloud climber >bicentennial >Down bypass> Falls>ease up> down sluice>up last mile> down wind up> parking lot

I wouldn't call it a recovery ride at all... about 18 miles and 3500ish feet of climbing. Highlights for me were all of the lynx through south ridge run run, sluice, bypass down and wind-up. Some great stuff in there and real rugged mountain feeling.